Curb the abuse

All about our First Team

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 pm

GETCARTER wrote:It would be better still if you did not need to call people names. I have had a career as a teacher, and could not begin to tell you how many hours i have spent with upset pupils who have been the target of bullies. There is no need........


It's football
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
User avatar
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Its not football.....and not an atmosphere i want to bring my children and grandchildren to, especially encouraging them to choose to come again as an enjoyable pastime.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby camel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 pm

Passion doesn't need to be racist or homophobic. The reason people loved the Irish fans at the euros was because they were passionate, noisey and inclusive / well natured.

Passion and recognising when something may over step the mark shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

And yes, I know people who are out off of football because of it and have stopped going to games as a result. Yes I also know people who don't bring their kids because of it. It's a shame.

I do also know people who attend and ignore it. Each to their own, but the choice shouldn't have to be made in the first place.
camel
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 pm

michael wrote:could it be the case that the only people who are concerned about this,are those who it does not in reality affect


No.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:I would still call a player a poof if he went down to easy or was clearly faking an injury. I will not apologise. I have gay friends and I have heard them use the same language. Itbwould be different if I started calling people donkey Bandits that's homophobic. But poof? Jesus come on



And I would reserve the right to report you for it every time, and expect the club to deal with you accordingly.

That language comes from the bad old days and is no longer acceptable. Especially around impressionable children.

If it’s all you can come up with as a response to a player going to ground easily, then I would question your intellect.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Timb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:26 pm

You can be passionate, vocal, and be the 12th man like has been said. And we have been and are. You can, and that's football.

No need to be homophobic, racist or swear in the chants. That's either "traditional" but unacceptable behaviour, ignorant behaviour, or racist and homophobic behaviour. None of them are acceptable in the chants.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5155
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:I would still call a player a poof if he went down to easy or was clearly faking an injury. I will not apologise. I have gay friends and I have heard them use the same language. Itbwould be different if I started calling people donkey Bandits that's homophobic. But poof? Jesus come on


You've got gay friends who have reclaimed the word 'poof' as friendly banter. Good for them.

AFAIK, you are not gay, bi or trans. You don't know the sexuality of the player you're calling a poof. You don't know who is around you. Why even say it? :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Timb wrote:You can be passionate, vocal, and be the 12th man like has been said. And we have been and are. You can, and that's football.

No need to be homophobic, racist or swear in the chants. That's either "traditional" but unacceptable behaviour, ignorant behaviour, or racist and homophobic behaviour. None of them are acceptable in the chants.


Well, this is it. I hear the 'we've always done it, so what's the problem' argument used so often. Let's compile a list of what else was once acceptable... rape, pillage, duels, slavery etc etc etc.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:It would be better still if you did not need to call people names. I have had a career as a teacher, and could not begin to tell you how many hours i have spent with upset pupils who have been the target of bullies. There is no need........


It's football


So?
User avatar
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 pm

I think a lot of this depends on where you live.

I live in South London where everyone and everything is accepted.
It doesn't matter whether you prefer men or women, your race or nationality. We accept everything because we live amongst it. It's so normal to us we don't even notice.

People that get abused because they're different (gay, black, foreign etc) are not different to those of us that are around them every day.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
User avatar
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Theoperator » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:07 am

This thread is longer than most FGR match threads unless we loose. :lol:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:13 am

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:36 am

Sometimes the loudest critics are actually doing it to deflect the spotlight from themselves. American morality preachers caught with their trousers down, far right nazi types turning out to have brown skinned boyfriends...
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby mauler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am

Swearing in football chants can be funny. In the south stand you see mild mannered men and women delighting at the removal of usual social norms. I object to the "your support is ......." line as it disrespects those that travel. The rest is ok by me, within reason.

Where did all the sanctimonious fun sponges come from on this forum? Lighten up and remember its not all about little Johnnies delicate ears. He has heard worse already.
User avatar
mauler
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Philpot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 am

What can we chant at Liam Noble when he makes his return to TNL

I suggest something polite would be the order of the day

That would confuse him
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 am

Philpot wrote:What can we chant at Liam Noble when he makes his return to TNL

I suggest something polite would be the order of the day

That would confuse him


To the NCFC fans:

'You've got Noble
Liam Noble
I just don't think we understand
He's Kev Nolan's man
But worse than your Nan
You've got Liam Noble'

Just a suggestion
User avatar
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:24 am

TreeHugger wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:I would still call a player a poof if he went down to easy or was clearly faking an injury. I will not apologise. I have gay friends and I have heard them use the same language. Itbwould be different if I started calling people donkey Bandits that's homophobic. But poof? Jesus come on



And I would reserve the right to report you for it every time, and expect the club to deal with you accordingly.

That language comes from the bad old days and is no longer acceptable. Especially around impressionable children.

If it’s all you can come up with as a response to a player going to ground easily, then I would question your intellect.


I'll let you know when I'm up TNL next then you can come and question my intellect and go from there.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
User avatar
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:I would still call a player a poof if he went down to easy or was clearly faking an injury. I will not apologise. I have gay friends and I have heard them use the same language. Itbwould be different if I started calling people donkey Bandits that's homophobic. But poof? Jesus come on



And I would reserve the right to report you for it every time, and expect the club to deal with you accordingly.

That language comes from the bad old days and is no longer acceptable. Especially around impressionable children.

If it’s all you can come up with as a response to a player going to ground easily, then I would question your intellect.


I'll let you know when I'm up TNL next then you can come and question my intellect and go from there.



Resorting to threats kind of illustrates my point really. Grow up.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Can we lock this thread now please.

Full of tedious rubbish, that is getting increasingly tetchy!

It is an argument that is not really suited for a football forum, as it just goes round and round with strong views both sides that will not be changed on this format!

It's also a really negative thread, when we should be enjoying the team's up turn in firm and good atmosphere.

Anyone would think we were Millwall the way some sanctimonious people on here are going on and on.

We have one of the most child friendly crowds around in my opinion. Homophobic abuse?? Absolute rubbish, I have never heard anything of the sort up the Green.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Well I am glad we all agree.

Everyone should be able to come to watch fgr this includes making it affordable.

We need to make noise and be expressive. Our guests need to understand this context.

No one wants homophobia or racism at the new lawn. If people are being like that report them or have a word, but do something. We don't all agree on what the words mean, but we do agree that you don't attack any one verbally or phisicaly based on their race or sexuality at our club.

Some kids want to slam the seats, some adults want to swear and shout, others feel the need to go and get chips at 40 mins and block my view, others arrive late and make everyone move whilst they get to the seat. All these things are fine, we need to be tolerant of each other so that we can get together so we can be strong behind our team.

The teenager (girls if that's relevant or interesting) near me in H got a wave from MC and constantly shout and express themselves in way that's not guarded or pc, their knowledge is incredible and I think they are the best football supporters i have ever seen. Without knowing it they have encouraged me to let go and make some noise, let off steam and get behind our team and stop worrying about what others think, it's catching!!

The Cheltenham match is going to be brilliant.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:I would still call a player a poof if he went down to easy or was clearly faking an injury. I will not apologise. I have gay friends and I have heard them use the same language. Itbwould be different if I started calling people donkey Bandits that's homophobic. But poof? Jesus come on



And I would reserve the right to report you for it every time, and expect the club to deal with you accordingly.

That language comes from the bad old days and is no longer acceptable. Especially around impressionable children.

If it’s all you can come up with as a response to a player going to ground easily, then I would question your intellect.


I'll let you know when I'm up TNL next then you can come and question my intellect and go from there.



Resorting to threats kind of illustrates my point really. Grow up.


That's not a threat at all.
"Question my intellect and I'll kick your head in"
That's a threat.
Totally different. I was saying meet me in person I'll give you my opinion you can question my intellect and we will go from there. I don't understand where the threat was?
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
User avatar
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], chopsy, Foggy, Google [Bot], John Whiffen and 4 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.