Match thread from The New Lawn (Morecambe)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Morecambe)

Postby Green Devil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Another fine win and great progress over the past few games. Still some way to go before we can relax and say we are on top and beginning to dominate teams but definitely a positive upturn.

With Noble gone and Osbourne showing his strengths we look more solid, he compliments Drissa well and does a fine job in attack and defence. I don’t wish injury on anyone but what I am enjoying more is the absence of Charlie Cooper, creating the opportunity for Brown and KMB to display a more forward thinking and creative approach usually at pace. The balance seems better. The fans are responding too.

Well done all.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Really enjoyed the match. Nothing to add that hasn't been covered... IO has made a huge difference. Surely CC can't waltz back into the side.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 pm

How much more enjoyable is the weekend with a win?

The team is better balanced at the moment than it was, selection is more consistent, KMB is back and playing well, we are shooting more and the younger players are starting to really grow in to first team football. Osbourne alongside Traore looks a good foundation for everything else to work from. What's not to like?

Three wins on the bounce is incredible. It's just important that when we lose, which we will, that we stick with the players and get behind them. There is no lack of effort or commitment from them or the coaching staff. Yes, there's a long way to go yet, but this is more like it.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:02 pm

camel wrote:It's just important that when we lose, which we will, that we stick with the players and get behind them.
I'm with you on this, I think that the fans have tried to stick with the players though, but have shown their disappointment with the coaching staff at games. I feel like the whole team, staff players and fans are stronger now, we all need to be critical of any short term upsets, but remain resilient. We are in league two and have won three games in a row, two away one at home. That is something we can be very proud of.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 pm

And all in all, as the standard of EFL teams are seemingly a larger stride than we anticipated, I think that the Refereeing standard also has widened in the same proportion from that of the National League?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:And all in all, as the standard of EFL teams are seemingly a larger stride than we anticipated, I think that the Refereeing standard also has widened in the same proportion from that of the National League?

I was reading the Cheltenham forum today and more than one poster stated that the standard of play has improved from last season.
Okay it is second-hand info but it might explain why FGR have struggled from start of season when previously everybody thought we would do better.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:34 pm

That is interesting. I like your new pic :)
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I needed that goal, says Scott Laird

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... ott_Laird/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 pm

There were two unsung heroes for me yesterday.

First off, I hope those who were quick to slate Osbourne are eating their words - his influence on the pitch is massive. He is an absolute giant and as is important in defence as he is in moving forward. Always in the right place, rarely puts a foot wrong. This is a real find and turning into an excellent piece of business - cannot believe we got him for free. I say he is unsung because, for the life of me, I dont know why he wasnt awarded MoM....

In addition is Jack Fitzwater - wow, what a fantastic player he will become! The amount of times he got back and cleared the lines when others had failed to do so - I think he cleared off the line twice yesterday and I think he might have provided a saving grace against SBFC. And then how quickly he can be up the other end!? In pre-season, he looked tidy and is starting to show what he is all about.

In honesty, I dont think Brown had as good a game as everyone else thinks he had. Hedid well yesterday and is certainly worth developing further... but there was far too many times where he gave the ball away and, if we are being picky, that 3rd goal should have been buried. He did a lot of things right..but he is being muscled off that ball without any effort at all. I like him, but I dont think i'd miss him until he holds the ball better or puts on some muscl.e I would like to see someone like Randell or Gomes in for Brown - pacey yet strong, and can both spin on a dime.

Not sure why there is so little love for Cooper :( He's a grafter, gets over the pitch and was starting to come into his own...but i do agree that at the moment I don't see where he would "fit".

Also, its becoming clear why MC left out KMB and look at the response - MC gets a lot of stick of his man management skills, but looks like he made the right call on this one. No way was he this consistent last season - and thats due to fitness.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Very valid points enriching the match thread fgr2016

Those selecting the MOTM did have a hard task and Osbourne & Fitzwater were in their minds. Personally I would have gone for Fitzwater as Ossy did seem to tire in the last 20 minutes. However Ossy is a gem and has certainly improved with his increased fitness - he has really made our midfield a power to be reckoned with.

KMB is certainly producing the goods now, long may this continue. Again his fitness and commitment are now evident.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Hey! And don't forget Bradley Collins. Some good interruptions there, to hell with some of the kicking criticism by the picky. ;)

Best performance to date ...clean sheet!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 am

The groundhopper mothers boyfriend a mate of mine lives in Stonehouse that why he got off there. Talked to him at the he thoroughly enjoyed it and said the atmosphere was great. He is trying to complete all 92 league grounds.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 am

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:And all in all, as the standard of EFL teams are seemingly a larger stride than we anticipated, I think that the Refereeing standard also has widened in the same proportion from that of the National League?

I agree - I thought he had an excellent game on Saturday and, not for the first time this season, I thought the standard of refereeing was a lot higher than we generally saw in the National League.

It needs to be since the pace of the games has been high and I have certainly been one surprised by the jump up on quality from the NL. It seems higher than when I was watching Orient 2-3 seasons ago. I’m enjoying the extra quality required.

We seem to have got to grips at least somewhat with that. MC said at the start of the season that his aim was to have a competitive side and I think we now have that. This season is still probably going to be one of struggle but if we make the most of the relatively easier fixtures in November then my expectation of around 18th will look pessimistic

One step at a time though.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 am

Enjoyed the match on Saturday and we only made Morecambe look good when we sat deep and invited them on to us plus it allowed them to have the ball unchallenged. Thought that Morecambe were otherwise poor and we created our own problems. Opposition playing higher tempo will overall them easily. Lazy when they were under pressure.

Osbourne was my MOM. Went about things in a clinical manner but not going to be overawed when the opposition never really tested us through their own ability.

Anyway a pleasing 3 points from Saturday and much confidence in the camp was obvious from both players and fans.

Interesting FA Cup tie coming up on Saturday. Much more important than tomorrow in the other cup. Sadly FGR could go to Wembley in the CheckaTrade and lucky to take 2500, whereas make the FA Cuo 3rd or 4th Round at home and have a sell out against top flight first class opposition ........not an U21 squad.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 am

Fantastic feeling this morning - glowing from Sat result and the fact that it is three wins on the bounce - even the misses looked good this morning !. Bring on the next one. ( Will the Swansea game be on the pay-per-match computer link? ).
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Theoperator » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Highlights are here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJlLZQA3Gjc

IIRC the whistle doesnt seem to bear any relevance in free kicks, there was a famous goal scored before the whistle was blown which caused a mini upset many years ago. Cant remember the game, could even have been before the PL started, or may have been an international :oops: .

I think that an indirect free kick may need the whistle blowing as the ref holds his hand up to denote the indirect free kick. There was also the famous goal scored when the ball was flicked up by Willie Carr for Coventry many moons ago- the rules changed to stop that happening again, hence the ball must be stationary and only kicked once before someone else has to, shame as it was a very memorable one (Best bit is near the end of the clip- first bit completely misses it :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq2xT-tx38

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Best man for that S/M is Footieman. Rules he knows inside out. Nearest I can get:

The ball must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player ...
is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves except .....

Anyhow, as some Comedian's past catch phrase was ... "you'll all be doing it tomorrow!"

'Slither' I think it was then.

Ah, yes! Roy Jay.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 pm

There was the last international game at Wembley when Seaman was busy setting up his wall and Dieter Hamman just took the freekick and caught them all out with the winning goal and ended Keegans reign as manager.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks for posting TO
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Colin I have to disagree if we got to wembley in the checkatrade I'm sure we would take more than we did for play offs.
1. It would be a lot cheaper
2. More time to plan and would give casual fans more time to plan.
3. It would be a chance for FGR to win a major trophy.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Theoperator wrote:Highlights are here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJlLZQA3Gjc

IIRC the whistle doesnt seem to bear any relevance in free kicks, there was a famous goal scored before the whistle was blown which caused a mini upset many years ago. Cant remember the game, could even have been before the PL started, or may have been an international :oops: .

I think that an indirect free kick may need the whistle blowing as the ref holds his hand up to denote the indirect free kick. There was also the famous goal scored when the ball was flicked up by Willie Carr for Coventry many moons ago- the rules changed to stop that happening again, hence the ball must be stationary and only kicked once before someone else has to, shame as it was a very memorable one (Best bit is near the end of the clip- first bit completely misses it :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq2xT-tx38

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Best man for that S/M is Footieman. Rules he knows inside out. Nearest I can get:

The ball must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player ...
is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves except .....

Anyhow, as some Comedian's past catch phrase was ... "you'll all be doing it tomorrow!"

'Slither' I think it was then.

Ah, yes! Roy Jay.

Sorry only just seen this.
The Laws of the Game have chmaged a number of times over the years to simply matters and providing the ball is stationary then almost anything can happen once the ball moves, except the kicker cannot play it again until played by another player. Several players have used this ploy in games before and it is interesting that some referees seek the ball is placed exactly where it is marked on the surface by his spray, although for the second goal no spray was actually used. Part of the reasoning of using the spray is to position the defenders the exact distance from the location of the ball to ensure no gamesmanship by moving it. Therefore one presumes it is down to the individual referee on the day how he may or may not interpret gamesmanship. The referee has the right to apply what is in his opinion - the spirit of the game.

As a side issue the only place you will find the word whistle(s) is in Law 5 which relates to equipment carried by the referee. Nowhere do I know where it mentions it again. The reference is always ' a signal' so that can be by word of mouth or a wave of the arm, although often at pivotal times the referee will advise players to wait for his whistle.

Hope that helps, though frankly once the game starts it is everyone for themselves to get one over on the opposition or even the referee.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team