Match thread from The New Lawn (Morecambe)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Morecambe)

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Agree with Phil Mitchell, we don't miss Noble, with Keanu and Osborne we look far more effective and with Charlie to come back in after his injury our midfield looks strong and versatile.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Football Poets » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

When You Win A Game

anyone who’s been here
anyone at all
anyone who loves this club
loves them rise or fall
if you’re superstitious
if you have a dream
you live though the ups and downs
following your team
ev’ry one goes through it
ev’ryone’s the same
but everyone is energized
when you win a game

pressure’s always present
pressure ev’rywhere
even if the manager
swears it isn’t there
pressure on the terraces
pressure on the pitch
pressure if your club is poor
pressure if you’re rich
but no one can describe it
no one can explain
no one hides their feelings
when you win again

http://footballpoets.org/poems/whne-you-win-a-game/
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:30 pm

We have given the fans something to support, say MC.

Video below. Interesting and honest interview.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... rk_Cooper/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Rich E wrote:
doggy wrote:Osbourne is turning into a good signing

I agree with doggy. Osbourne has been a major find for FGR. He's both an Enforcer and Creator, always spotting good opportunities having won the ball. Can't see why he didn't have a club at the start of the season as he'd be an asset to any League 2 club - but very glad that other clubs missed him and that he walked through FGR's door. I also like that a smile is usually never far from his face - very good attitude and a very good pro.

Agree 100%, I think Osbourne is perhaps the biggest reason for the turn around recently, he protects the defence, does the hard yards in midfield to take some of the pressure off Drissa and today even created the first goal. Excellent signing, strong, organised and calm.

Thought the two 'youngsters' at the back were excellent today and Brown's ability to beat players with no space to work in is increasingly impressive. Felt for Doidge again though, so isolated and barely got a sniff all game. When you have a goal scorer like him, it is criminal not to support him.

A deserved win I felt, though, against a very one dimensional Morecambe.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm

It is probably worth noting that Iacovitti, Collins, Fitzwater etc wouldn't have played a lot of senior football before. Whether it was a smart idea to recruit younger loanees in such crucial positions remains to be seen, but results have definitely improved as they have gained more confidence. Osbourne's presence in and among them is obviously crucial as well, and he also releases Brown to play a more advanced role.

Keanu as ever remains our talisman and to me is the most important figure in us staying up.
Last edited by Jamal Lacoste on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Groundhopper visits the new lawn. https://youtu.be/wqpTZcaKxNY
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby candy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 am

Pitchfork wrote:We were far the better footballing side, they had few ideas apart from lumping the ball forward to the big front men. Morecambe did have their chances but our defence is looking far stronger and resilient now. The scoreline was a fair one.

Osbourne, Iacovitti and Fitzwater all impressed but no argument with KMB as MOTM. All players made a contribution and should feel a warm glow after this desperately needed home win.

Both the South and East stands were in good voice - all played their part in this 3rd win on the bounce. The crowd of over 2500 was a great turnout - from home fans and those who made the long journey from the north west. And on the subject of long journeys, not sure Ady Pennock will enjoy the regular trips from Kent to Barrow, his new club.

Totally agree with you Phil, with of the above the players working for each other KMB my MOTM Since he has got
a game or two under his belt he makes defenders Quake in there boots. I would give him 70 Minutes of each
match to work his outstanding talent and ability.Thanks to the rest the team for a great match + staff
Roll on Swansea on Tuesday..................................................................................................................................
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:42 am

Tomiswalking wrote:I found these highlights, quite short but interesting view https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPa9CfhhlMA

Thanks for these. Apart from their first minute chance these cover the important stuff.

I agree with the positive comments about Osbourne. He had a particularly strong first 30 minutes I thought. I’m not sure how/why he claimed the second goal though.

Brown too was excellent all game and - apart from the fact KMB got the goal - was as good as KMB. I agree with Skunkman that both need to get a bit closer to Doidge though. Doidge worked his socks off but looked frustrated.

It’s nice though to have this extra hour in bed this morning contemplating another win, movement out of the relegation zone and the promise of more to come from MC and his team.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners Jnr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:25 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Groundhopper visits the new lawn. https://youtu.be/wqpTZcaKxNY

Just watched this, one thing I couldn't understand is if he's come from Reading via Swindon, why did he get off the train at Stonehouse rather than Stroud?
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Saltus Viridi fautoribusque est in Cestrensi comitatu

Postby Timb » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for posting the groundhopper and short sky highlights. Great first goal and deceptive free kick.

I would have liked to have seen highlights of Reeve Brown ghosting through the two tackles on the left touchline before the ref blew up for a foul. He was away. And same when christian got away and brought back for a foul.

Time to walk down and get the football league paper.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Groundhopper visits the new lawn. https://youtu.be/wqpTZcaKxNY

Always interesting to see & hear these vlogs from groundhoppers - the quality of the production and comments are all very fair.

It is strange he alighted the train at Stonehouse, but the route via Frocester and Nympsfield would have given him a great perspective on the area.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tddun » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 am

Anyone seen the highlights of the game on the sky sports football app? You can hear what appears to a Morecambe fan say "That was worth it" referring to the pre free kick routine (picking the ball up and KMB running over it) before the ball then went in. :D
Tddun
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:25 am

Solid professional performance, defence is looking better, although still not perfect and great to be out of the bottom 2 with a two week break from league action coming up.

Good atmosphere, so much more enjoyable when the crowd get behind the side so pleased that was sorted, a few players are visibly gaining in confidence and the more people get behind them the better we'll do imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi
Pitchfork wrote:

Always interesting to see & hear these vlogs from groundhoppers - the quality of the production and comments are all very fair.

It is strange he alighted the train at Stonehouse, but the route via Frocester and Nympsfield would have given him a great perspective on the area.

Perhaps he was asleep when it stopped in Stroud, or maybe he went to S'house and asked the taxi driver to show him where the new ground is proposed to be.
I didn't recognise the "in taxi" route ( where is that yellow sign sited just after entering a national speed limit?) but he appears to have come up Spring Hill from the view of the left turn to the ground signpost.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:33 pm

A fantastic three points against a weak and demoralised Morecambe. Both sides fancied their chances and Morecambe looked like they might take advantage in the early stages. We survived and played out a relatively comfortable victory.
For me Marsh Brown has been the biggest factor in our mini revival. He’s working hard and always moving off the ball. The others seem to anticipate his movement and link up well with him. Osbourne has been the muscle we need in central midfield and has fitted in well.
We also seem much more attack minded and eager to get the ball inside the opposition penalty area.
Against Newport we manged one foray into their box for the entire first half. Against Morecambe we were continually looking for openings and goal scoring chances.
My main concern is Collin’s kicking. It rarely finds our player and invariably the ball comes back at us.
We’re still in a precarious position but with a good team spirit and a manager willing to listen we could climb out of trouble.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Earl wrote:We’re still in a precarious position but with a good team spirit and a manager willing to listen we could climb out of trouble.

Picture from club main page.

More of a clap than a salute but small steps :)
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi -I didn't recognise the "in taxi" route ( where is that yellow sign sited just after entering a national speed limit?) but he appears to have come up Spring Hill from the view of the left turn to the ground signpost.

That was coming up from Stanley Downton going towards the Leonards Stanley to Frocester road. The yellow sign was pointing towards the Sewage Works. He therefore came up Frocester Hill and Tinkley Lane.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 pm

FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:38 pm

3 wins on the bounce. No complaints with that. Points always matter more than performance AFAIAC. But our performance quality has been ok in these games for sure.

The strange free kick routine is intriguing! I presume -
1) that the opposition defence don't know whether to expect an in- or out-swinger - I guess our lads in the penalty area know what is coming.
2) that the whole routine is legal? At the moment the ref blows his whistle for the free kick to be taken I assume the ball is "in play". Although it seems at that moment our guy with the ball still has it in his hands. He then places it on the ground for the kick to take place. It is not however regarded as handball??

Can anyone clarify this?
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Best man for that S/M is Footieman. Rules he knows inside out. Nearest I can get:

The ball must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player ...
is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves except .....

Anyhow, as some Comedian's past catch phrase was ... "you'll all be doing it tomorrow!"

'Slither' I think it was then.

Ah, yes! Roy Jay.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team