The Forest Green Rovers Experience

All about our First Team

The Forest Green Rovers Experience

Postby d3d4 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 am

Here is a quite brilliant account by Roger Fitton's of his recent trip to watch Morecambe at Forest Green

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

http://d3d4football.com/the-forest-green-rovers-experience-by-roger-fitton/

thanks
James
d3d4
Youth
Youth

Re: The Forest Green Rovers Experience

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

A good read there.I hope the seating and roof can be sorted soon to encourage more fans to come see us.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby twoguns » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Really good summary.

Reminded me of Southport game away a few years back when supporters coach broke down and there were just six of us and it was lashing down. Stewards felt sorry for us and put us in main stand. Wow gamesmanship from Stoksie turned everything sour and we stuffed them 1-3. First and only time when the final whistle blew I shoved my FGR scarf in a pocket and made a swift exit.

Nice of Bob Hunt to come down at half time to speak to us. That fella is quality as we all know and a credit to the club.

My view is leave the wet terrace uncovered. Post in advance on the opposing teams website. Take it or leave it.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 am

twoguns wrote:My view is leave the wet terrace uncovered. Post in advance on the opposing teams website. Take it or leave it.

So far this season literally every single club we have visited have provided covered seating, often far more then we need. Looking at Newport's forum a number of their fans said that they won't be coming back next season if that is all the facilities we continue to offer away fans (worst in the league apparently). Yeovil fans were saying the same, as were Lincoln.

That is money lost, if opposition bring 400 instead of 800 that's around £7k we miss out on. This will be repeated with every club we play to a certain extent and over a season that will add up.

Not saying roll out the red carpet for away teams but we should at least be looking to reciprocate what they offer us.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:31 am

Solution:

Abandon this unnecessary new stadium in a catchment area of twelve sheep. Keep FGR in Forest Green and cover the West Terrace. Put a fancy wooden roof on it, if needs be. Hell, hold a competition to design it.

Everyone's a winner.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am

Agree with KG111 - stay where we are.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

Thats fine.

I guess those looking to stay put ,do not share the chairmans medium term desire to make it to league one, and subsequently the championship-far fetched though it may seem at the moment.

seem mutually incampatable to me-.
others may say TNL can host the likes of Aston Villa, if the chairman achieves his goal
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 pm

michael wrote:
I guess those looking to stay put ,do not share the chairmans medium term desire to make it to league one, and subsequently the championship-far fetched though it may seem at the moment.

Far fetched indeed, after the rude awakening of League 2 :shock:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 pm

michael wrote:Thats fine.

seem mutually incampatable to me-.
others may say TNL can host the likes of Aston Villa, if the chairman achieves his goal

League One is possible, but anything higher is miracle stuff without, I imagine, significant further investment. I'm staggered that so many people seem happy for FGR to relocate a significant distance out of Nailsworth. That suggests to me a sort of disconnect between them and the locality and community of Forest Green. I could understand it if the Salad Bowl was going to be much larger, but it isn't. To me, and with TNL still modern, it's a move that doesn't seem to have any necessity and it will rip the club out of its natural home. Improve what we have, if needs be. This is where Wycombe slowly succeeded after the original construction of Adams Park.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 pm

Never say never. Cheltenham held their own in League One for years and Yeovil did reach the championship, two teams of similar stature in terms of size and catchment area.

To survive in the Championship from where we are now is pie in the sky. Let's slow down and focus on the league we're in. League 2. Forest Green being in League 2 is the stuff of pipe dreams and despite us being 1 point away from that dotted line I'm enjoying every second of it.

Can't we just enjoy League 2 first?!
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Theoperator » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 am

Yes the West Stand could be significantly developed with some engineering, perhaps paying the owner of the field behind a rent for encroaching over their land. Many stadia do that, mention of Villa reminds me that their newish Trinity Road stand goes over the road at the upper tiers

Additionally the South stand could join to the East without much alteration.

How ironic that the only reason stated to move appears to be related to cars and vehicular access :lol: :shock:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Theoperator wrote:Yes the West Stand could be significantly developed with some engineering, perhaps paying the owner of the field behind a rent for encroaching over their land. Many stadia do that, mention of Villa reminds me that their newish Trinity Road stand goes over the road at the upper tiers

Additionally the South stand could join to the East without much alteration.

How ironic that the only reason stated to move appears to be related to cars and vehicular access :lol: :shock:

Ha-ha - your last sentence reminds of the Matt cartoon, showing the opening speaker addressing the "Zero Carbon Convention" in a large 1000-seat conference centre. Only about 6 delegates in the audience though, hearing the speaker say "Welcome to the Convention, and I must say I'm absolutely delighted to see that so few have traveled here to be with us this morning".
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team