Match thread from The New Lawn (Swansea City U/21s)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Swansea City U/21s)

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Excellent value for money with talented youngsters on show from both sides - I reckon 5 will make the Premiership in the future. Almost all the game was played on the ground with sharp, accurate passing. A delight to the eye!

FGR were impressive, well captained by Scott Laird. A team performance but for me Jordan Stevens was the stand out player. The right decision by Coles Electrical, clearly football minds!

The difference between the two teams was:

1. We didn't really test the keeper, though looked dangerous until we had the ball around the area. Omar Bugiel &Toni Gomes did a lot right, but couldn't deliver the final shots.

2. Swansea put over two great crosses and their strikers made no mistake. Arguably we missed Lee Collins and Dale Bennet putting their bodies on the line. Perhaps if Iacovieti had stayed on it would have been different?

Overall very little between the 2 sides, though we did look to tire in the last 20 minutes

Surprised we only named 6 subs....I wonder why Shamir Mullings was not on the bench?

The crowd almost 600, was as I expected and despite the result most will have been happy with what they saw, decent following of 86 for the Swans.

Bottom line we are still in two cups, roll on Saturday.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:58 pm

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... _top_spot/

Pitchfork, I understand you can only name six subs in this competition.
Also, Wishart has a slight injury niggle.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 am

I echo the earlier comments. Stevens looked classy - especially the way he ghosts past played in midfield.

Randall was good in the first half and again towards the end.

We had lots of ideas and better movement than usual but only had one shot on target I think.

We always miss Traore when he goes off.

Waste of time trying to get KMB interested in that and we should have tried Mullins late on.

Entertaining game and well worth attending.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 am

SNJ Ash wrote:Pitchfork, I understand you can only name six subs in this competition.

I understood it was 7, I stand corrected. Thanks Ash
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 am

Pitchfork wrote:
SNJ Ash wrote:Pitchfork, I understand you can only name six subs in this competition.

That's a new one on me!
Plus if you looked at the team sheet Swansea named 7 subs. And you wrote the match report up Ash.
Come on .......basics chaps.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 am

FootieMan wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:

That's a new one on me!
Plus if you looked at the team sheet Swansea named 7 subs. And you wrote the match report up Ash.
Come on .......basics chaps.

Apologies. 13 hour day for me. I must have imagined that information. Not the end of the world but glad FootieMan cleared it up.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:42 am

We played well tonight.
Yes, we lost but were up against players who have been first team subs in the past (Joe Rodon, Kenji Gorre) and we held our own.

Good to see MC taking it seriously and realising that despite lack of interest from some, this is still a competition that will be worth winning
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 am

SNJ Ash wrote:Also, Wishart has a slight injury niggle.

Thank you.
:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 am

NewForestRover wrote:

Thank you.

But where is Mullings? Anyone know? Have I missed something?
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 am

Tommo wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:

Thank you.

But where is Mullings? Anyone know? Have I missed something?

Not sure, but he played in the central league (I think that's what it is called) game last week and scored.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:12 am

I enjoyed that last night, like others here.

Good competitive game - fast, sharp, and clean apart from some niggly fouls by our visitors some of which halted FGR good possession moments & deserved yellow cards. Swansea lads very competent though.
Very impressed with Jordan - I hope he gets more game time during the season. A potential FGR gem if we can keep him a decent while.
Hope Iacovitti is ok, and that we get a decent draw in the next round. A good value evening..
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 am

Entertaining game and decent efforts from Stevens and Gomes could have put us ahead long before Swansea scored their first.
Defensive failings again in the full back areas leading to crosses for their 2 goals - otherwise defence looking good especially Fitzwater and until his knock Iacovitti.
I thought Roberts and James looked off the pace and Omar probably better behind a number 9 than being the target man himself. Not sure which Randall others were watching but yes a few nice touches but generally runs into dead ends and cant get past people down the line with very little delivery into the box.
Good to see Monthe back getting game time and Stevens was quality when he came on - interesting that he is always looking to play the ball forward - not something we can always say about our midfield !!
As Cooper says in his review of the game no real threat in final third and not too many staking a case for a start on Saturday. Be interesting to see what happens if he rests Iacovitti - I guess a straight swap for Collins and play a back 4 rather than 5 ??
For long periods it looked like we would be happy for clean sheet, 0-0 and that would have won us the Group. Pity as a good L1 team at home would have been great.
One really disappointing thing about the game for me was the number of cynical challenges from the Swansea players but I guess that's how it is - we've already seen more "professionalism" when it comes to the physical side in L2 and I suppose that just increases the higher you go !
Anyway on to Saturday and bring on the FA Cup and Macclesfield ........... I think we owe them one !!!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Earl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am

Reasonably happy with that and despite the loss enjoyed the game. I thought we put in a good performance but disappointed we failed to take advantage of our dominance and possession. They converted their chances and we did not. Football’s very simple.
Jordan Stevens continues to impress. He weaves so well in and out of players and showed good body strength. Shame about his wayward shots though.
I thought Cooper was unduly harsh on his players in the post-match interview. Maybe he put too much pressure on them, I don’t know. I would have liked to have heard just a little bit of encouragement and praise for his players.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 am

T50 BOS wrote:For long periods it looked like we would be happy for clean sheet, 0-0 and that would have won us the Group. Pity as a good L1 team at home would have been great.

0-0 not possible in this competition at this stage I believe. Goalless draws have to be decided by ABBA penalties.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:54 am

Ah ... think you are right CM. In that case we definitely needed to turn our pressure into goals !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:04 am

Many positives from that enjoyable game. 2 teams playing the game on the deck. Shame we were shot shy - something Coops has set as a aspect to improve upon

What a player Jordan Stevens is and will become. With Ozzy doing so well, suddenly there are options in midfield that seemed limited when Noble held sway.

Is this the first time we've awarded MoM Champers to a player not legally able to drink it?! Put it on ice Jordan - it will taste no less good a few months ahead!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

I agree with above posts - FGR played well but Premiership team Swansea pounced upon us when they had half-a-chance, as all Premiership teams can do.

Sadly the attendance was poor which allowed a few fans to be heard offering the team their considered advice.
One fan sitting in front of me disagreed with someone else shouting his opinions and bellowed back at him in most ungentlemanly terms to 'shut up'.
It is the first time that I've ever seen a member of the training team [Scott Lindsey] turn round to actively calm the situation down.
Hilarious.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 pm

I was sat behind you OTC and i enjoyed that immensely.Some old moaner twice had a go loudly at Fitzwater for a couole if wayward passes,after the first one MC glared up at him,after the second he told him to shut up and then the man mountain told him in no uncertain terms to shut up and stop talking excrement.Moaner went very quiet after that.Made my night. :lol oh and as you mention Scott humouressly pleaded for calm. :D
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Pleased to here positive comments about the performance, despite the result.

I cannot understand why Drissa played 74 minutes of a largely meaningless weekday game - surely this joke of a competition is not a priority and as we were through to the next round already, surely he should have had a cameo off the bench if he played at all? :shock: He is too important to us to risk in a nonsense game like this.

Very encouraged to read the comments about Jordan Stevens - how amazing would it be if we could bring a player or two through our ranks who genuinely excelled at our level and perhaps even went on to play in a higher league? Perhaps a few chants of 'Joooordan Stevens, he's one of our own' a la Harry Kane are in order?!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Norton Boy wrote:I was sat behind you OTC and i enjoyed that immensely.Some old moaner twice had a go loudly at Fitzwater for a couole if wayward passes,after the first one MC glared up at him,after the second he told him to shut up and then the man mountain told him in no uncertain terms to shut up and stop talking excrement.Moaner went very quiet after that.Made my night. :lol oh and as you mention Scott humouressly pleaded for calm. :D

How can anyone moan at Fishwater? (my name for him as it annoys my boys!) He`s been superb last few weeks, at least you lot didnt stay in like me to watch Chelsea, now they really couldnt pass!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team