Page 6 of 8

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:31 pm
by Pitchfork
SkunkMan wrote:
This first point is very interesting - I wonder if it is a reflection on how far we have come as a club, in that perhaps back in 2001 the game was seen as a much 'bigger' fixture, because qualification for the 'first round proper' of the FA Cup required us to play several games and was never taken for granted, where as now as an EFL club we are a 'shoo in' and fans are perhaps more interested in the possibilities of Rounds 2 and 3, or further if we dare to dream so big...?



I'm sure that's the main reason why the crowd was lower than most fans' expectations, though it could be argued publicity about the game was sparse.

All home matches before the Macc 2001 FAC game had crowds of well under 1000: Dagenham was 651 and Morecambe 702. The Macclesfield game was huge for us, especially after we had gone to Moss Rose and managed a creditable draw. Moreover there was the promise of Swansea in the next round if we got through. A crowd of 1700 was no surprise for such a BIG match. However it was worthy of celebration after only 1500 had watched the away match and all who attended will always remember the penalty shoot out.

Now we are getting used to 'league opposition' and have played Macclesfield many times, the fixture was not an attractive one especially considering it was the 3rd home match in a week.

I would have loved to see a crowd of over 2000 through the turnstiles but I was not at all surprised it was just under 1400.

If we get a big team in R2 we could see getting on for 3000, however if its National League or lower opposition it's likely to not be much over 1500.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm
by cookiemonster
Who knows why the attendance at this particular match was so relatively low, but going on what my kids say the status of the FA Cup in the minds of younger fans (I am talking U10s here) is far beneath what it was when I was growing up.

To my mind the rot started when Man U withdrew to play in that daft intercontinental cup and it's been downhill from there.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm
by biggazza
In perspective.
Notts County are averaging 7,500 in League 2 this year. They are at home to Bristol Rovers in a higher division with their well known away following. Result attendance 4,200.

Pro rata we didn't do too bad

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm
by gooseman
As I live in Forest Green what impact does FGR have on me and my family. To be brutally honest very little. The only issue that pops up regularly is the parking. The reason why this occurs is the total lack of enforcement by Gloucestershire County Council. Basically, they are not interested. I have the e- mails to prove this.
My point of view is that the local community have to put up with this possibly 25 times a year for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon or a Tuesday evening. I can live with it as long as its enforced. Those living by the Primary school have to live with the hassle of parking twice a day during school term. I know which I would prefer.
Another issue that has popped up in the last few years has been the parking on the Nympsfield Road just before the turn off to Lawnside. Usually no more than 6 cars, this certainly has hampered cars going up to the upper area of Forest Green. Again. the Highways Agency are not interested. I know this has been addressed when FGR are playing.

On a personal note I have no wish to se FGR leave Nailsworth. I don't buy this idea that the club need to uproot. The parking issue can be easily sorted, its just a case of getting GCC to act. The other issue that concerns me the most is who will own the new stadium if we move? Will it be FGR or DV / Ecotricity? This for me is probably the most important question yet to be answered.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 pm
by FootieMan
Gooseman
I can confirm that when the stadium was built we sat down with the County Council and arranged that a TTO (Tempoary Traffic Order) would be drafted to cover the roads around the area, which would come into force on match days. The crux of the matter is - and rightly identified by you - that whilst they are the governing authority they pass on the actual working of it to Stroud DC, who in the end before I left could not find staff to come on a match day to enforce any breaches. We had three major drop down signs made to promote use of our then Park & Ride locations as part of the travel plans we had to submit to the Highways. Two of those signs remain but I never see used anymore. We paid over £2k for those signs to be made by GCC.

Whether there have been any substantial changes or whether there have been any minor amendment to the TTO since I am not in a position to say but in the early days of the stadium not only did we have a working arrangement and agreement with the school (which still exists) we also had parking on the land behind us owned by the Ind family. Both these had their own gates direct into the stadium so pedestrians could be safely accommodated off local roads. Such arrangements were available providing it did not surpass 28 occasions in the year so this was advantageous because it did not require any planning approval.

The parking issue could be resolved to the satisfaction of the locals providing there is consultation. Many would, I suspect from previous consultations I was involved in, be happier to have the stadium rather than other housing but history is littered with opinions which can vary. More concern was shown about traffic density on non match days using the event side and leisure facilities.

I support the idea of a move for the future, IF the ambition is to take the club through to the Championship, whereas when we were planning the last move to The New Lawn it was more about having a modern purpose built stadium to overcome pending ground grading regulations which were set to change and which The Lawn would never ever have been compliant. If we had not moved then we would be lucky to be playing in National League North/South let alone anything higher.

I have no issue with future plans being on the table and I would be critical of any club if it was not looking to the future.
For 20 years I was a player in being a custodian of the club. It is now someone else's turn and I have always wished Dale well in his drive upwards. Be it at our peril if we stop looking at the future, for it will teach you harsh lessons.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm
by Fartvs Antiqvvs
Re the drop-down match day signs f/m:

I have noticed that they were utilised fully last season, observed on my way up to the ground via the Norton Wood Road bus route. Got so used to them being unfolded that I haven't given them a thought this season. Will check out next visit. They are generally obeyed, but as a result form a back-up congestion in the streets/roads branching off this artery, giving rise to residents complaint of blocked exits from the house owners.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm
by twoguns
I remember the stadium announcer asking the owner of car registration xxx xxxx can you please return to your car and remove it from the roundabout before your towed away.

Taking responsible parking to the next level :D

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 pm
by Greeners
Hi
They shouldn't announce them, just get them towed.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 pm
by Mothy
I have one question. Would the potential future income streams and returns be higher for ecotricity by moving the stadium to J13 or by remaining in Forest Green?

That's the only answer that matters here. You can debate the rest of it 'till the unwanted cows come home.

Just incase, that's not having a pop at Dale, it's just stating the reality of the situation.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 pm
by michael
A small majority continue to post that moving to J13 will not attract larger attendances/new supporters.

they may be right-i just wonder why that conclusion is drawn.

could it be the case that in fact moving to J13 does attract many new customers from quite afield ,attracted by the easy access .
there is a big catchment area within 45 minutes drive -some of those surely will be attracted to the new location.

my gut feel is that if nothing else changed,the new ground opened by J13 tomorrow, instead of the current 2400 average, that would get to over 3000 .
thats just for starters.
if FGR do climb the leagues,then i can foresee attendances of 4k in league one .

massive respect for all the longstanding fgr supporters-but its not a closed shop.

is it feasible that a large and new breed of customers would come to J13

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am
by gooseman
So your evidence is a gut feeling.

I have no doubt the initial novelty factor will improve attendances but as with many novelties it wears off. History is littered with this. Suddenly, that trip on a Tuesday evening doesn't look so appetising.
Attendances are fickle. So go up with success and down with failure. We just have to look for the turn out against Macclesfield.

As a FG resident. Which do I prefer. Parking hassle roughly 25 times a year which could be avoided if GCC would enforce parking restrictions or up to another 150 cars using the main roads, most days, in the FG area with the new eco homes planned with the new site. Plus the impact on already under pressure facilities such as school, nursery, doctors and the loss of facilities including the gym and other aspects the stadium provides. No brainer in my opinion.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am
by voodoobluesman
Ecotricity start a new Ltd co. Or utilise an existing property if they already have a property company.
Ecotricity lend money to the new company to build the stadium.
Forest Green sell their stadium for housing getting Dale his money back and FGR lose their asset.
FGR rent the new new stadium at a ransom.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:33 am
by SkunkMan
michael wrote:A small majority continue to post that moving to J13 will not attract larger attendances/new supporters.

they may be right-i just wonder why that conclusion is drawn.

could it be the case that in fact moving to J13 does attract many new customers from quite afield ,attracted by the easy access .
there is a big catchment area within 45 minutes drive -some of those surely will be attracted to the new location.

my gut feel is that if nothing else changed,the new ground opened by J13 tomorrow, instead of the current 2400 average, that would get to over 3000 .
thats just for starters.
if FGR do climb the leagues,then i can foresee attendances of 4k in league one .

massive respect for all the longstanding fgr supporters-but its not a closed shop.

is it feasible that a large and new breed of customers would come to J13


My rationale for believing that a move to Jct 13 will not create significantly bigger crowds is a simple one. We live in an area with many football teams - both league and 'non league' - plus a lot of rugby interest too. There is big competition out there for the 'Sports Pound' on Saturday afternoon and surely most people who have an interest and want to see live sport each weekend probably already follow a team and do so?

If we move to Jct 13, I feel we are bound to lose a few hundred regular supporters. We may gain a few hundred, but overall I don't think the impact will be any significant rise in average crowds. I simply don't believe that currently there are hundreds of actual or potential FGR fans out there who would regularly go to home games if they were played at Jct 13 but don't go to TNL.

I would stress, however, that I have no evidence to support this view and herein lies the challenge - I don't think there IS a way of accurately predicting the effect on average crowds that a move to Jct 13 would have and michael clearly takes a different view to me. In addition, if the club were to be increasingly successful on the pitch, pushing for promotion or even getting into League 1, who knows what that might do to supporter numbers?

I do agree with footieman's point about the ramifications of failing to prepare for the future - I just think a future that necessitates FGR leaving TNL is a very long way away still. How much succession planning needs to be in place at this stage is a tricky issue and one which I must confess I am glad not to have to make decisions about. What I do know though is that whether or not as individuals some of us (not me) feel that the green or vegan ethos is being pushed or promoted more than the football club, we still have a heck of a lot to be thankful to Dale Vince for and I for one do believe that the long term prosperity of the club is a significant aim for him. I guess like the other 99% of FGR supporters with no real say in the matter, I will just have to enjoy the ride!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:36 am
by montyc
voodoobluesman wrote:Ecotricity start a new Ltd co. Or utilise an existing property if they already have a property company.
Ecotricity lend money to the new company to build the stadium.
Forest Green sell their stadium for housing getting Dale his money back and FGR lose their asset.
FGR rent the new new stadium at a ransom.


Velly interesting, as they used to say on the "Rowan & Martin's laugh In" (well I think that's how they spelt it). :lol: :lol:

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 pm
by Mothy
voodoobluesman wrote:Ecotricity start a new Ltd co. Or utilise an existing property if they already have a property company.
Ecotricity lend money to the new company to build the stadium.
Forest Green sell their stadium for housing getting Dale his money back and FGR lose their asset.
FGR rent the new new stadium at a ransom.


Yup, that's the sort of thing plus the eco park, at some point...you can see the belief systems and unconventional dress code, etc but never lose sight that Dale is a business man out to make a return at some stage down the line.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm
by gooseman
Lets be honest, basically until we know 100%, DV could ultimately asset strip FGR for one of their major assets. And no-one bats an eyelid. The stadium is the building block / foundations of any football club. It gives the club stability. You only have to look at clubs that don't have their own stadium. Swindon T for instance. Apart from the players and franchise that's all they own.

Must agree with SM regarding his assessment for Junction 13. Some supporters from Tetbury, Avening, Nailsworth and even a few from Malmesbury stop going. However, a few more than Frampton, Stonehouse, Slimbridge, Whitminster and maybe Hardwicke start attending. Will it be a net increase or decrease? A lot will depend on the pitch once the novelty wears off.

As people state enjoy the ride. Its when we fall off, as the stabilisers have been removed, who's going to pick us up.

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm
by king giraffe III
gooseman wrote:Lets be honest, basically until we know 100%, DV could ultimately asset strip FGR for one of their major assets. And no-one bats an eyelid. The stadium is the building block / foundations of any football club. It gives the club stability. You only have to look at clubs that don't have their own stadium. Swindon T for instance. Apart from the players and franchise that's all they own.

Must agree with SM regarding his assessment for Junction 13. Some supporters from Tetbury, Avening, Nailsworth and even a few from Malmesbury stop going. However, a few more than Frampton, Stonehouse, Slimbridge, Whitminster and maybe Hardwicke start attending. Will it be a net increase or decrease? A lot will depend on the pitch once the novelty wears off.

As people state enjoy the ride. Its when we fall off, as the stabilisers have been removed, who's going to pick us up.


Let's say DV gets seriously ill or dies. What happens then? What contingency plan is in place. Or are we up the creek, Gretna style?

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm
by Foggy
Always my concern too, far too many have said enjoy the ride...which is fine until something happens to the horse...then there is generally one call to make, the knackers man!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 pm
by FGR-Ledge
What would you do differently then?

All we are doing is supporting our club, what is wrong with that??

So many old backward looking people on here.

Do you want Dale out? I don't get your point!!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm
by Fartvs Antiqvvs
Foggy wrote:Always my concern too, far too many have said enjoy the ride...which is fine until something happens to the horse...then there is generally one call to make, the knackers man!


It's a great horse Foggy. 7 years ago we were flogging a dead one ... into oblivion. Then a Knight in shining armour arrived, riding the great steed, the majority of us are backing now. :o