Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Absolute rubbish Gooseman!!

Atmosphere was much better than expected, the SouthbStand was loud and chanted well throughout.

We played pretty well I thought.

Lost faith in the FA Cup??? Come on Man, get a grip!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Was always going to be a tricky tie. We didn't do a lot going forward but never looked like conceding after we took the lead.

I was amazed by the Macclesfield fans moaning after the match about how they should have won and played us off the pitch. What game were they at?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:00 pm

gooseman wrote:What a disappointment. Gone have the days when the FA Cup brought excitement and anticipation. The atmosphere was non existent. The play on the field was negative. Instead of going forward we passed sideways and backwards when a break was possible. Manny went on a couple of surging runs to lift the spirits but as a football event it will go down as insipid.
I suspect several will call it professional but today was the day I lost faith in the FA cup.

It was a tad boring during the first half, but I would put the 'professional' as 'Technically controlled'. Nowt under t'cosh to worry about gooseman. Disappointed with the home support figure though.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
gooseman wrote:What a disappointment. Gone have the days when the FA Cup brought excitement and anticipation. The atmosphere was non existent. The play on the field was negative. Instead of going forward we passed sideways and backwards when a break was possible. Manny went on a couple of surging runs to lift the spirits but as a football event it will go down as insipid.
I suspect several will call it professional but today was the day I lost faith in the FA cup.

It was a tad boring during the first half, but I would put the 'professional' as 'Technically controlled'. Nowt under t'cosh to worry about gooseman. Disappointed with the home support figure though.

Disappointing home figure, but the crowd were loud today.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Was always going to be a tricky tie. We didn't do a lot going forward but never looked like conceding after we took the lead.

I was amazed by the Macclesfield fans moaning after the match about how they should have won and played us off the pitch. What game were they at?

Seriously???

What are those fans on! They were outplayed by us, you could see the difference in leagues clearly.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Was always going to be a tricky tie. We didn't do a lot going forward but never looked like conceding after we took the lead.

Seriously???

What are those fans on! They were outplayed by us, you could see the difference in leagues clearly.

Yup! Hard to believe, but true. Much more entertaining than the match itself.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm

On the train back and feeling happy with today. I thought we controlled the first half very comfortably with the difference in the leagues clear for all to see, but still gave Macclesfield a sniff at goal.

Second half we sat back and played it around and you felt that 2 goals were needed before the total control stuff.

Looking forward to next Saturday and to the second round draw on Monday evening.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm

So under 1200 FGR fans attended this FA Cup match. What used to be a highlight of the season barely registered. The South Stand looked half empty. Macclesfield had several chances but Collins saved with his feet in the first half. Other than that it was pretty grim affair.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:21 pm

South Stand was loud and proud.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 pm

gooseman wrote:So under 1200 FGR fans attended this FA Cup match. What used to be a highlight of the season barely registered. The South Stand looked half empty. Macclesfield had several chances but Collins saved with his feet in the first half. Other than that it was pretty grim affair.

I think we see the knock on of the Premier League clubs not taking the competition totally seriously. It's devalued the whole tournament. It's very sad. £10 was a great deal to stand.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Totally agree regarding the pricing:. Ten pounds was excellent but as you stated 800 FGR fans failed to attend. Why?. As you state the FA cup appears to have been devalued in recent years. I remember games against Torquay, Rochdale, Rotherham, Scunthorpe that had a buzz around the place. Today felt the complete opposite. It just felt empty. Lacked occasion. Disappointed.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:50 pm

We controlled the game I thought and a potential banana skin against high flying VNL team avoided.

Like others I was very disappointed by the turnout but those who turned up made plenty of noise.

Still dreaming of a big third round tie.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:51 pm

That's what happens when you play a non league team :ugeek:

You forgot Arlesley.

And Ashford away.

Keep calm and carry on. See what round 2 brings. And then concentrate on them.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Yes it was a small match as we playing a non league team. If we get a team from L1 at home in next round expect things will be quite different.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby coyler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Should’ve killed the game off to make the last 15 more comfortable. Nice to see Keanu back doing what he does best. I still think we lack something in the final 3rd. Overall a good win and a clean sheet.
Oh and can people please keep shouting SHOOOOOT everytime Drissa or someone else gets the ball on the edge of the box. Let him keep position and work a better opening instead of putting it over.
Roll on the draw
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Sensible interview from MC. I too thought we played pretty well and that, while we went backwards a few too many times (21 was surely an underestimate) we did look in control. Like LGIII I can’t understand the reaction he saw from the Macca fans. They were never really on top even when pressing with the ball in the second half.

I can only recall one shot from them and when we made mistakes in giving the ball away in our half, we recovered strongly. Manny was particularly robust and deserved the MotM award but I also thought Lee Collins had another terrific game.

The crowd was a bit smaller than I expected but I thought that the atmosphere was good. Both East and south stand gave a decent account of themselves. I particularly liked the chanting from the East stand using their drum.

Like someone earlier posted, I think Stevens should have come on far earlier. Traore was really blowing after 60 minutes and we were losing control a bit. Stevens would have - like Bugeil did - given Macca something new to think about.

I thought Reece Brown had a hgood game. Osbourne was good especially first half. Doidge worked hard and Laird did well first half.

MC was wrong that there was no warning before the Bennett booking but it was nonetheless a silly one. Pity he will miss the next game especially with Iocovitti our but I think Randall showed enough on Tuesday to fill in ok.

Great that we are in next round. I hope we are drawn at home again.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Just home from working at Hereford and catching up with all that's been going on.

My afternoon saw a really good old fashioned cup tie, which hinged on a reckless challeng in second half by a Telford player which allowed the home team to take the ascendcy and a few minutes later having gained the upper hand they scored the only goal of the game. Great scenes at the end.

So both FGR and Heredord go into the hat with a slight margin, yet meaningful, win. I cannot comment on Rovers today for obvious reasons but I said it would be close and I also commented on the number of fans for each match. FA Cup ties in front of a small crowd are far from satisfactory.

4712 at Edgar Street does not mean they are really that bigger a club but in my opinion it could well show they have a committed fan base who do not look for free tickets. Unfortunately too many at The New Lawn only turn up when they do not have to put their hands into their pockets. A thousand home fans today is something that should be top of anyone's agenda, especially an EFL one. In real terms was it not a worse crowd than for last Tuesday?
It may not make any difference to the players but it obviously does to the fans who hold the club at heart.

Let's see what comes out of the hat on Monday. An away draw will be very interesting from a number of points. With less games now for the club to play to reach the Holy Grail of the 3rd Round perhaps the only way to repay the fans who come to the earlier games, is to ensure they get first preference for a ticket, if the BIG one comes along.
Hopefully the club ticketing system can identify those loyal fans and ensure they are rewarded

But looking on the bright side, we are at least in the hat, unlike a number of other EFL clubs this weekend. No names!!
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Jokerman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 pm

MONTHE THE DE'STRIER ENTERTAINS. Saturday 4th November 2017.

F A Cup 1st Round and a tricky tie for Forest Green Rovers against high flying National League side Macclesfield Town. Home advantage may be key for Rovers trying to avoid what would be only a minor upset on the form book.
Tuesday nights defeat in the Trophy game against a young Swansea side saw the return from injury of Manny Monthe and today he retains his place as Iacovitti is unfit. Manager Mark Cooper fields his strongest side,an indication of his intent in this competition.
The crowd of thirteen hundred is an improvement on Tuesday but down on league numbers.
The sun is in the eyes of the east standers and the breeze carries a keen edge as the teams parade.
Ex FGR star Jared Hodgkiss captains Macclesfield today and he gives Rovers keeper Collins the best view of the sun from the kick-off.
Macclesfield make a lively start and Collins moves smartly to cut out an early cross.
Rovers are unperturbed and make their own inroads into the match most notably through Monthe who makes the first of his several charges into the heart of Macclesfield's defence on fifteen minutes. He off loads the ball to Doidge running into the area but the striker is denied when his shot takes a deflection as it skims the bar.
Rovers begin to look the more dominant winning a series of corners while their opponents rely on quick passing on the break.
The visitors best chance came from such a break on twenty minutes when Whitehead took a pass in the area but his low shot was foiled by an excellent save from Collins with his legs.
The Rovers keeper was in fine form cutting out crosses and looked well in charge of his terrain.
Rovers continued to press and Doidge set Keanu up but his shot lacked power and Macclesfield keeper Jalal gathered comfortably. Laird gave him another chance but this time his shot was high.
On 42mins Forest Green solved the problem when some scalpel sharp passing threaded the ball to Doidge inside the box,with his back to goal he forced the ball to Laird closing in on the left. The defender took the ball to the byline and cut it back to the near post where Doidge pounced and smashed it over the goal line.
The Green Army greeted this action with some enthusiasm.
It certainly made the half time break more enjoyable and overall Rovers were good value for their lead.
The second half saw Monthe on another charge on this occasion he was brought down by Baba who was fortunate he wasn't crushed.
Apart from a shot from distance by Traore that went wide the home side appeared to lose any urgency to improve the scoreline for a twenty minute spell. Fortunately Macclesfield for all their possession at this time were poor in the final third. The Rovers defence certainly coped well enough so it may have been by design though not comfortable for the fans.
Cooper changed it on seventy minutes and replaced Keanu with Bugiel.
Macclesfield continued to press but on seventy six minutes Rovers should have increased their lead.
They broke from defence and Brown and Doidge set up Bugiel in space inside the box and with a clear sight of goal he fired the ball woefully wide of the left hand post. Groans from the crowd.
A minute later Doidge gained possession inside the area but was forced wide by Jalal whom he rounded but his cut back to Brown was blocked away.
As the clock approached the ninetieth minute Monthe picked up the bit and raced forty yards before blasting a daisy cutter into the advertising mid-way between the post and the corner flag. Priceless.
He deserved Man of the Match though Lee Collins pushed him close.
In added time Fitzwater headed away a dangerous free kick to deny Macclesfield's final attempt and Rovers were through to the second round.
Forest Green did enough and Monthe certainly played his part to brighten up the afternoon.
The team are on the up and should not lack confidence in search of points at Crawley next week.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 pm

FootieMan wrote:Just home from working at Hereford and catching up with all that's been going on.

My afternoon saw a really good old fashioned cup tie, which hinged on a reckless challeng in second half by a Telford player which allowed the home team to take the ascendcy and a few minutes later having gained the upper hand they scored the only goal of the game. Great scenes at the end.

So both FGR and Heredord go into the hat with a slight margin, yet meaningful, win. I cannot comment on Rovers today for obvious reasons but I said it would be close and I also commented on the number of fans for each match. FA Cup ties in front of a small crowd are far from satisfactory.

4712 at Edgar Street does not mean they are really that bigger a club but in my opinion it could well show they have a committed fan base who do not look for free tickets. Unfortunately too many at The New Lawn only turn up when they do not have to put their hands into their pockets. A thousand home fans today is something that should be top of anyone's agenda, especially an EFL one. In real terms was it not a worse crowd than for last Tuesday?
It may not make any difference to the players but it obviously does to the fans who hold the club at heart.

Let's see what comes out of the hat on Monday. An away draw will be very interesting from a number of points. With less games now for the club to play to reach the Holy Grail of the 3rd Round perhaps the only way to repay the fans who come to the earlier games, is to ensure they get first preference for a ticket, if the BIG one comes along.
Hopefully the club ticketing system can identify those loyal fans and ensure they are rewarded

But looking on the bright side, we are at least in the hat, unlike a number of other EFL clubs this weekend. No names!!

Totally different scenario with Hereford at the moment.

Also a bit insulting and utter rubbish saying too many FGR fans only turn up when we want something for free!! That is absolute rubbish considering tickets were much cheaper today than for league matches, so there goes your theory.

I expected a few more home fans today, but not many more.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team