Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

Postby stanman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Happy with the win but a bit disappointed with the attendance. Good vocal support though which is pleasing.
And FGR £18,000 to the good in prize money. £27,000 if we get through the next round.

I do agree with Mark Cooper about the ref's impulse decision to book Dale for being a little slow with a throw-in. I don't think he was deliberately time-wasting at that time of the game. Petty, and of course the sad result is that 5 yellows means Dale misses the next game. Not good.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Agree with footieman to many freebies
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Charlie5football wrote:Agree with footieman to many freebies

Rubbish.

It's just that we have sold a lot of season tickets this year, which were not included in the FA cup.

I was there today, but I know many people that have season tickets that did not attend today.

The whole freebie myth really annoys me.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Macclesfield are are much improved team from last season, both in the quality of their players and their style. I'm not surprised they are challenging for a top place in the National League.

So credit to FGR for outplaying a team only six places below us in the pyramid. We produced the better football, had more possession and far more shots at goal. Yes the margin of 1-0 made it seem a close game, but had we been more ruthless in the area, a 3-0 would not have flattered us.

It was a good team performance, defence looking in control and we moved the ball well all over the field. To be critical, I feel we played the ball backwards too often and once or twice I thought Brad Collins was rather tardy with his distribution. Great to have Manny back and I applaud his 'Charlie Clough' style runs through the midfield. I would have loved his shot to have gone in. Thought Reece Brown, Lee Collins and Ossy were also in the frame for MOTM, but the accolade for Manny will be helpful for his confidence.

Thought the atmosphere was a good one, credit to both the East and South stands for getting behind the lads. The crowd was around what I predicted, though the Macc following was 70 more than I expected. When clubs play teams from divisions below the gate always falls by a few hundred. Even when its a bigger team ( Scunthorpe a few seasons ago) we only had 1700 and that was when playing a league team was a novelty! This is the 3rd match in a week, even the 4th for keen fans who took in the Youth Cup. Well done to all those who took in all 3, I prefer to commend them rather than criticise the few hundred who didn't come for reasons of expense, time commitment or other responsibilities.

Looking forward to the draw, the club have often been knocked out by lesser clubs by this stage, let's hope this is a year we can make round 3 and take on a Premiership team. Already £18,000 for the kitty on top of Checkatrade dosh for two wins is making cup runs remunerative.

Crawley up next, we'll miss Dale but hopefully Iacovitti will be back and our defence will remain strong.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 pm

[/quote]
Totally different scenario with Hereford at the moment.

Also a bit insulting and utter rubbish saying too many FGR fans only turn up when we want something for free!! That is absolute rubbish considering tickets were much cheaper today than for league matches, so there goes your theory.

I expected a few more home fans today, but not many more.[/quote]

I would not disagree that circumstances might be different at Hereford for a number of reasons but you shoot yourself down when you say prices were reduced and still it didn't attract those many others who turn up for the League.
I sit in the East Stand where a large number around me are different people on each occasion and I hear them talking why they turn up. It's generally in the seated areas where these are watching and certainly not from the South Stand where the majority of committed fans turn up week in and week out. It might be interesting to see the breakdown of where people bought tickets today and then there could be some substance around my suggestion of why there was such a major dive in attendance? Based on my own experience I would have expected the crowd to be circa 1800 at least. On a good run, reduced ticket prices and a chance to see a good FA Cup tie against reasonable opposition.
And I would be astounded if 500 season ticket holders didn't turn up.

It is also NOT insulting but an observation with questions posed. Apart from a match in which two non league clubs were playing each other over 300 miles apart, FGR had I believe had the lowest attendance so far this weekend. So it is a genuine observation in that context.

I forgot to mention my quiz question:
Which club who had previously reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup got knocked out in the 1st Round today?
Last edited by FootieMan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Stewjacksam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm

does footie man ever stop digging and knocking?
Rarely anything good to say but why spout what comes across as bitter rubbish?
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Season tickets not included, that makes a difference.

We probably had the least glamorous FA tie out there.

Like I said I would have expected a few more, but the problem is not our fans expecting a freebie, as shown by our very respectable league crowds.
Last edited by FGR-Ledge on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Stewjacksam wrote:does footie man ever stop digging and knocking?

Amen my Brother!!!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

gooseman wrote:Totally agree regarding the pricing:. Ten pounds was excellent but as you stated 800 FGR fans failed to attend. Why?. As you state the FA cup appears to have been devalued in recent years. I remember games against Torquay, Rochdale, Rotherham, Scunthorpe that had a buzz around the place. Today felt the complete opposite. It just felt empty. Lacked occasion. Disappointed.

Yet again,is that post another example of where some have not got their head around the 'status' of FGR these days ?

yep-those games were great-but they are 'everyday' games now.They also took about 3/4 prior rounds to achieve those fixtures.
Nowadays, it takes 2 wins in the FA Cup to draw Chelsea or Manchester City at TNL'when there may be marginally more in attendance,and possibly would have the 'occasion' you crave.
Its a different world that FGR play in this season
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Stewjacksam, I think FM or a similar character is needed at TNL. We don't have any football people on the board. FM was involved with FGR and doing a great job way before the overwhelming majority of current fans gave two hoots about that football club in Forest Green. The club's history didn't start when DV first came on board.

FootieMan wrote:
Hopefully the club ticketing system can identify those loyal fans and ensure they are rewarded

Well, it can't identify that I've bought plenty of tickets in the past and that, despite my postcode, I'm not a Cheltenham fan!
Last edited by king giraffe III on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Stewjacksam, I think FM or a similar character is needed at TNL. We don't have any football people on the board.

FootieMan wrote:
Hopefully the club ticketing system can identify those loyal fans and ensure they are rewarded

Well, it can't identify that I've bought plenty of tickets in the past and that, despite my postcode, I'm not a Cheltenham fan!

Football people, but not somebody who constantly has a dig about my club, could do without that to be honest.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 pm

michael wrote:
gooseman wrote:Totally agree regarding the pricing:. Ten pounds was excellent but as you stated 800 FGR fans failed to attend. Why?. As you state the FA cup appears to have been devalued in recent years. I remember games against Torquay, Rochdale, Rotherham, Scunthorpe that had a buzz around the place. Today felt the complete opposite. It just felt empty. Lacked occasion. Disappointed.

Yet again,is that post another example of where some have not got their head around the 'status' of FGR these days ?

yep-those games were great-but they are 'everyday' games now.They also took about 3/4 prior rounds to achieve those fixtures.
Nowadays, it takes 2 wins in the FA Cup to draw Chelsea or Manchester City at TNL'when there may be marginally more in attendance,and possibly would have the 'occasion' you crave.
Its a different world that FGR play in this season

Very good post.

I think a few people are thinking that FGR are still a small non-league club, things have moved on.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FootieMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Stewjacksam wrote:does footie man ever stop digging and knocking?

Amen my Brother!!!!

Have it your way brother!

Again genuine observation is treated with cheap shots. This is why many have given up using the forum to discuss points which probably merit same.

I am very happy the players won today.
Great for their confidence and that can only be good for them and the fans.
I recognise everyone cannot afford a season ticket and for those who can't and yet support the club through thick and thin I hope they are not pushed aside come the BIG one because I do think this will be the year it comes to The New Lawn.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Stewjacksam, I think FM or a similar character is needed at TNL. We don't have any football people on the board.

FootieMan wrote:

Football people, but not somebody who constantly has a dig about my club, could do without that to be honest.

It is as much his club as yours. He's entitled to an opinion as much as you are. Don't ever forget that. :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes of course, didn't say he was not entitled to his opinion on here, although I very much disagree.

I personally would not want him on the board though, again my opinion.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 pm

(and i hope its not just 'this season )!!

Good win.
professional.did not concede the nil.
as others post-Lee Collins m-o-m for me .

I thought there was a difference in class between FGR and macclesfiled which is encouraging and how it should be.
I was surprised that Macclesfield did not 'offer more '-both quality and energy-but credit to FGR for managing that ,and managing the game .

I also thought it showed the difference between EFL and national league to which FGR have been 'late adjusters'

Pace was so much slower that EFL,and a bit less physical.
FGR able to dictate as played at a lower tempo ,but thats also why fgr don't find it easy in EFL
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Let me put the record straight.

I have had my time (20 years) working at FGR. For my service I was made a Life Member. Below my outward appearance I take that accolade with a humility which many could only,guess at.

I have no desire to serve the Club in any other capacity than that. But my years of experience does allow me to make considered opinion at times because I know the inside from the outside and the outside from the inside.
I also listen to people and many talk to me freely without knowing who I am. It has its benefits.

I have moved on in my own life and my footballing life. I currently have a role within the game I love, with the freedom it brings me to see all aspects of the current game from the very top to the very bottom. Premier League to Sunday League. If someone wants my help I am happy to help. And I get to meet some really nice people.

I have no axe to grind and despite how the manager and players have been viewed since promotion to the EFL, I have never slagged them off, unlike many have done so in the past and probably will do so in the future. My years in the game tells me that has no benefit to anyone. I once sat down with a previous FGR manager and had a cup of tea with him over the position of captain and suggested change was needed. Done quietly and out of sight of fans and players. The change was astronomical in results but had the manager told me he would stick with the current captain I would have backed him.

Have a good weekend. Lots'of action still to come Sunday and Monday. Don't you just love the FA Cup? I do!
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 am

Being a life member, does that mean you get free tickets footieman? ;)
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SimonC » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:46 am

FootieMan wrote:I forgot to mention my quiz question:
Which club who had previously reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup got knocked out in the 1st Round today?

Chesterfield got to the semi finals in 1997 v Middlesbrough
3-3 draw, Kevin Davies and all that
They were very unlucky not to win that day
Difficult to see a 3rd tier club getting that close to the final again

I think you meant Lincoln though?
SimonC
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:09 am

Footie Man, have been in Green Man and discussed football matters with you and have found that if others don't agree with your opinion you have been most objectionable, please don't regard yourself as the pundit who cannot be opposed. Some of us have played football at a senior level and are not completely ignorant.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team