Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

Postby Mothy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:03 am

The majority of fans on the forum are probably amongst the most committed football fans.

I think the difference is this. Both Hereford and Telford really do put fans and community first. That to be fair has been strengthened further I suspect by both being phoenix clubs. This is still the case with Telford having gone back to a shareholder model this year.

Last week FGR failed to put out any pre-match arrangements & information to fans until Saturday mid-morning. The priority of the club's management, in terms of information, was on where to get a vegan goody bag, etc. :(

While the vegans were having their party those who had paid for the Green Devil's digital service were listening to silence for the whole game. :roll:

For a visiting away fan The New Lawn doesn't seem a very welcoming or pleasant experience from various write ups this season.

The perception of Telford is one team, there is no them and us, regardless of role at the club. The part time players even subsidised the coaches and the fans repaid the gesture with their support in numbers today. As Footieman said, and I wasn't there, from match reports, the sending off turned the game, but Hereford were on top at that point in second half of the match.

FGR for me are increasing losing focus on fans and community, with a sharp spike this season. The management has been concentrated on using the club as a means to spread the wider eco/sustainability message, and lost sight of the fact that they are also running a football club. Inadvertently last week & unfortunately, on me, just reinforced the unfair stereotype that vegans are self-righteous so and sos who just want to impose their values on everyone else. Message lost and yet it's a lifestyle that is maybe worth learning more and becoming better informed about to make choices.

Go back, put the fans and community first. Everything on the sustainability message will then follow with ease.

While many clubs can learn from FGR on sustainability in football. FGR, I suggest, should consider whether they need learn from others on how to put fans and community at the heart of everything again.

It's not about Helen appointing a person for the fans "matchday experience" ; in isolation that's just a marketing/PR exercise. This needs to go much deeper to fix, it's about the club's cultural web, it's DNA.

I think it worth adding that I am someone who only got interested in FGR and watching live football matches again since Dale's time at the club and have been noticing the change this season.
Last edited by Mothy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Green Devil » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:05 am

Some good points well made Mothy. It seems to have been a common theme of late where fans expectations are not being met, the Live Radio Broadcast being very much to the fore.

If you and others continue to be disappointed in the general service to all and sundry, is the best way forward not to liaise with the Supporters Club and in their capacity as voice of the supporter and representative of the Community and all that this implies, to take matters forward to the Board via the SC representative and for the outcomes of such deliberations to be communicated to the masses.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am

Thought the atmosphere was good yesterday, the South Stand especially deserve a lot of credit, kept going and getting behind the team the whole game.

Crowd not the biggest but crowds down at a lot of games in the cup, not long ago that 1100 home fans would be seen as a decent effort by us, shows how much things have improved on that front.

On the pitch we did the job without too much fuss, looked very solid, kept the ball well and good to see Doidge scoring again. Thought Lee Collins was excellent again, he's becoming a leader at the back, and the defence looked a strong unit with both Fitzwater and Monthe also playing well. Manny is great to watch with his powerful bursts forward, very hard to stop. Shame he didn't score towards the end. Osbourne was another one who had a good game, as usual. His signing has made a big difference.

Another win, a clean sheet, into the next round, £18k in the bank, a good atmosphere and Green Devils live apparently working properly. Lots of positives.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Rich E » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:17 am

I didn't go home yesterday thinking I'd seen a humdinger of a match, but it is as Kentstripe's final paragraph summary.

Later on in the second half Isaiah Osbourne went sliding in for the ball. He was a way off it and I thought he was unlikely to get the ball - a booking for him seeming the most likely outcome in my mind. Not a bit of it, he somehow collected up the ball and dashed off down the wing to create another attacking opportunity. Fantastic stuff Isaiah - and well done the ref for seeing it correctly.

In answer to Greenstripe, I wouldn't mind Hereford at home in the next round - let's see what the draw brings.
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:07 am

There you go again Kentstripe, pointing out all the positives rather than being picky. Hey Ho.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:26 am

twinkletoes wrote:Footie Man, have been in Green Man and discussed football matters with you and have found that if others don't agree with your opinion you have been most objectionable, please don't regard yourself as the pundit who cannot be opposed. Some of us have played football at a senior level and are not completely ignorant.

Having woken to see this post and now having had a hearty breakfast......before you hang this condemned man, could you advise me Twinkletoes when was this in the Green Man ( roughly the year will do) and what was the subject matter?

It appears to stick in your mind so well that you should be able to recall it? I would welcome a response, even if only to admit it was actually me and perhaps offer an apology, if one is due?

Even a condemned man before the rope should have the full evidence presented so everyone can judge. From the little information contained in your post I feel like a Member of Parliament might be feeling at this time. Guilt by association!
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:49 am

Enjoyed yesterday's match and experience intensely. Confused where the criticism is coming from other than some self-serving agendas.

Sorry, I don't agree with your analysis Mothy though I understand where you are coming from on some points

I think the answer is simpler that you make out - growing pains. No matter how much we wanted it, the transition to the EFL has been testing. It is not about 'football people' rather coping with all the demands at once, and that has stretched the Club. Not unlike the team on the pitch adapting to the new challenge. FGR does not have the experience of having been there before and is learning. That's not a bad thing - give the staff team a chance

Also, there are many things that are done better than in most clubs. For example, despite our size and catchment, our attendances have been excellent this year. Much of this is down to the outstanding ambassadors programme that has turned FGR into a genuine family club in contrast to the male dominated ageing and dwindling attendances of a decade or so ago. What better evidence of a community minded club? The fact is, 1,400 to host a national League Club in the FA Cup was what most of us were expecting.

The catering and welcome is also far better as is the general infrastructure of the club. What we may lack are bodies and maybe experience in some areas and Rich Joyce's loss has been felt. I am sure this is appreciated and will be improved upon. You don't go from being a Club now averaging 2,700-2,800 crowds with all that that entails without some cracks appearing.

And this harping on about 'green things being more important than the fans' is as unfair as it is plain wrong. Most Football Chairs are in it for their own enrichment and egos. Dale's standpoint is distinctly moral, promoting his beliefs - that means healthy living, veganism, organic food, green energy, sustainability and so on - increasingly, things that sports organisations and wider society is finding important. But he promotes these things alongside huge investment in the club's management, playing strength and development. What's wrong with that? Be careful what you wish for.

Hereford is a far bigger place and draws on wider and historic support. Telford has struggled to be either viable or to sustain even top level non-league football - no lessons there for us I think. Anyway, look what happened to both clubs! Maybe their fans wish for something more modern based upon FGR's model?

One aspect about the forum to admire in recent weeks has been a 'closing of ranks'. Led by Phil MItchell and others, the support has rallied behind the improving team even at its lowest ebb. As the team has responded so has the rapport between the players, supporters and management.
Yesterday was another example - what the South Stand started, the East Stand 'library' was quick to join. Dammit, TNL is getting noisy!

Genuinely, I relish the way FGR is going. Not everything is right, but give everyone at the club the benefit of the doubt. If you think you can help it do better, join the effort. Otherwise, enjoy the ride.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Agree with a lot of comments written by Kg3, Mothy and Footie man. I believe ecotricity has taken their eye off the ball concerning FGR footballing matters and that they need to reach out to local community and better service, ie radio service. And yes I do like ecotricity values in its green standpoint.

Also think they should keep FGR in FGR now with scope to develop current ground and area and to do that must bring a “football person” into the boardroom. Also thanks are truly granted for DV in saving the club.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Game Within » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Tell me 20yrs and counting where will we park there's not enough room to expand let alone put in extra parking. The C&E and B&W are normally full to overflowing and no where to expand.
The Game Within
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Mark Cooper relished coming to FGR because he would be in control of footballing matters, there would be very little interference from owners or those 'with status but without direct experience of the game'.

However, let no-one ever think Dale Vince takes a back seat. The football club is very high on his weekly agenda, both in terms of time commitment and financial investment. He is very aware of football issues at the club and has several conversations with Coops every week. His CEO, Helen Taylor, is focussed on operational matters at the club alongside other responsibilities. Other directors, especially Asif Rehmanwala and Chris Wintle, contribute on the footballing side of the club.

I would echo Chrisgump11's analysis about 'growing pains' on and off the pitch. It has been a steep learning curve and there are matters that have not gone according to plan, some issues where the plan was slow to put into operation. With problems such as 'The Green Devil' broadcast, the service has clearly not been good enough. On the field we certainly struggled in the early part of the season, but a pragmatic approach to tactics and hard work on the training ground has brought about a remarkable turnaround in recent weeks. Crowds have regularly at the higher end of expectations and the Stadium manager, employed staff and volunteers have dealt with the higher attendances well.

Since becoming vice chairman, I have been on the receiving end of more wingeing and frustration - it comes with the territory and I will always do what I can to improve things. However I have also had many conversations with fans, both from the pre DV era and new ones, who are proud to be associated with the club and its aims on and off the field. There are a growing number who are 'solution focused', they understand all is not perfect but with their support, effort and commitment Forest Green will establish itself as a highly respected club, both locally and in the football & business world.

Investment is going into The New Lawn to improve facilities, all want it to be better fit for purpose. However the long term aim is for a new stadium. I suspect 90% of supporters and almost all local residents are behind this vision.

Only a tiny minority of fans post on this forum, but it serves a useful purpose it highlighting things that need attention and to give praise where it is due. The balance, variety and rational discussion is far superior to most other football club forums. Long may that continue!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Brilliant post.

Well said Pitchfork. 8-)
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Agree.
Excellent post.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks Phil. That's the way I see it too. Looking forward to the draw and to next Saturday.

The thing to do is to react to the issues, resolve them, and then move on to solve the next issue. Hopefully not taking the attitude "issue, what issue?" "we've got far more important bigger issues that we are dealing with". One of the many newspaper articles at the beginning of the season correctly deduced that there are 2 parallel stories at FGR, the global one and the local one. The global one appears to be running well, but it is extremely important that the FGR team do not take their eye off the ball on the smaller, less glossy, non global sides of the club. The club has grown exponentially in a global context, and it is growing locally in a similar but less dramatic fashion.

Sometimes it will look or feel like everything is getting swamped, and coming off the rails. Tackle one thing at a time and then move onto the next one. The devil will always be in the detail and I agree that the forum is a good place to highlight things that need resolving.

Its been a steep learning curve on and off the pitch. Crawley is the next big test on the pitch.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Admire your passion and commitment pitchfork, good to see there are a lot going on behind the scenes to improve for all supporters, long may it continue. Still have to be convinced on stadium move. Short term stay where we are for stability, 5yrs time maybe a different story if we progress league 1. We do have to think big and dream the dream
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Can I take this opportunity to unreservedly apologise to the whole team whom I said earlier in the season, despite their totally brilliant efforts and commitment, would struggle in the conference. I could not have foreseen the unexpected gulf between league 2 and the non league, something I believe wasn’t apparent a couple of seasons ago. But yesterday I saw a team that were well above the conference standard based on this game, Macclesfield had chances but I felt we were always in total control and I never thought we would lose , something that surprised me and reassured me that we are going in the right direction, it’s also cemented my beliefs that the balance of the side over the last month or so has been vital in our change of form, Osbourne has been a revelation and his inclusion has helped all those players around him gain confidence and find freedom to express. MC may have been cajoled into this team selection, with the Noble debacle, but I think his departing has bought a different look to us and well done to MC for finding Ossie and bringing him in.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:Admire your passion and commitment pitchfork, good to see there are a lot going on behind the scenes to improve for all supporters, long may it continue. Still have to be convinced on stadium move. Short term stay where we are for stability, 5yrs time maybe a different story if we progress league 1. We do have to think big and dream the dream

Surely that's the point of why we need to start things rolling now for a new stadium. 5 years is no time at all. When you run a business you need to make the big calls and DV is planning for League 1 and rightly making the call now.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Agreed MOK.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

The Game Within wrote:Tell me 20yrs and counting where will we park there's not enough room to expand let alone put in extra parking. The C&E and B&W are normally full to overflowing and no where to expand.

So we move because theres no parking :lol: Theres ample room for expansion round the ground, whole West stand could be built, South join to East stand and capacity much increased, no problem. Far more imaginations needed with the vehicle access, park and ride each match, residents and disabled only from spring hill up, or Tinkley lane down. It all can easily be done. The will isnt there though sadly.

Theres almost no parking for miles round larger stadia, limited parking regs during match days- just have to walk a little further ;)
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Did think the same the operator. The powers that be are sold on a move, so I guess that is that. The disciples seem to be ploughing the same excuses. Prob for reasons we are not going to know until after the event.

Just hope that when we do move the 2k of fans will move with us. Don’t want another Stroud F.C. conundrum where 70% of original fans don’t turn up. I have watched FGR for 30yrs now and they are my team, so will watch wherever they play. Others may not.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:29 pm

How many fans come from Nailsworth though??

There was research done a few years back and it is apparently a very small percentage if our support.
Our support was all around the Stroud District, so I cannot see much of a drop off if we move, in fact I can see gates grow and grow.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team