Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Macclesfield) FA Cup

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:34 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:Did think the same the operator. The powers that be are sold on a move, so I guess that is that. The disciples seem to be ploughing the same excuses. Prob for reasons we are not going to know until after the event.

Just hope that when we do move the 2k of fans will move with us. Don’t want another Stroud F.C. conundrum where 70% of original fans don’t turn up. I have watched FGR for 30yrs now and they are my team, so will watch wherever they play. Others may not.....

Huge difference between Stroud FC and move to Eco Park.
When FGR changed its name the club were undergoing an awful playing period which was blamed on name change.
The upturn coincided with return of name back to FGR.
Currently FGR have been promoted to the EFL with hopes of further successes. That will ensure continued good attendances. The move to Eco Park on Juntion 13 will be in a greater catchment area which will automatically attract increased crowds.
Yes many long term FGR supporters will not follow club to Eco Park, but that small number will be dwarfed by new fans.
The basic problem is that the hamlet of Forest Green is too small to accommodate huge crowds on a regular basis and is on the edge of nowhere.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi
I haven't noticed a highlights link anywhere, so here is the BBC's offering.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41785388
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:51 pm

just seen the Osbourne interview .

what a smile-that must be worth something on its own.

very good player (thought he tired a bit in second half ) but fabulous sliding tackle -worth entrance fee in its own right .

but what a smile-that must be worth something in training .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:51 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
20yrs and counting wrote:Did think the same the operator. The powers that be are sold on a move, so I guess that is that. The disciples seem to be ploughing the same excuses. Prob for reasons we are not going to know until after the event.

Just hope that when we do move the 2k of fans will move with us. Don’t want another Stroud F.C. conundrum where 70% of original fans don’t turn up. I have watched FGR for 30yrs now and they are my team, so will watch wherever they play. Others may not.....

When FGR changed its name the club were undergoing an awful playing period which was blamed on name change.
Currently FGR have been promoted to the EFL with hopes of further successes. That will ensure continued good attendances. The move to Eco Park on Juntion 13 will be in a greater catchment area which will automatically attract increased crowds.
Yes many long term FGR supporters will not follow club to Eco Park, but that small number will be dwarfed by new fans.
The basic problem is that the hamlet of Forest Green is too small to accommodate huge crowds on a regular basis and is on the edge of nowhere.

You're rewriting history here. FGR were already on a downturn when the name was changed to Stroud. It simply made a bad situation even worse. Yes, the upturn happened after the name was changed back to FGR, but that was more coincidental than as a direct consequence - it was the involvement of TH that changed things.

I keep reading about how being in the EFL means Nailsworth can't cope with the traffic, there is nowhere to park etc. Maybe it's because I know the area very well, but I never have difficulty legally parking for matches. There aren't too many grounds in League Two where you can't park within a half mile radius for free.

This whole parking issue is an excuse to uproot a football club, move it to the wilderness in a ground that is no bigger but ticks a box on the green agenda for Ecotricity. That's what it is all about. Why on Earth will a new ground increase attendance figures in all but the initial flurry of publicity? It won't. The foot traffic will be non-existent.

It's telling that many of the people I know who originate from Nailsworth, and have been watching FGR for as long as I have, don't want the club to move. It is part of our identity and part of the community. Many of the newer supporters - and the BoD IMHO - don't understand the connection between Forest Green and the football club.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 pm

king giraffe III wrote:[You're rewriting history here. FGR were already on a downturn when the name was changed to Stroud. It simply made a bad situation even worse. Yes, the upturn happened after the name was changed back to FGR, but that was more coincidental than as a direct consequence - it was the involvement of TH that changed things..

Giraffe, how can you declare I'm rewriting history when you say more or less the same thing.

And now that you have been living in Cheltenham for a number of years, I take your comment about the parking situation around Forest Green with a pinch of salt.
It was only a few weeks ago that a resident vandalised a supporter's parked car.
And God help a poor resident who desperately requires an emergency vehicle at same time as final whistle. Her house could be burned down by time fire engine arrives.
Forest Green Rovers are no longer a small village team that the local community can cope with but an ever growing EFL club that has almost outgrown its historical home.

Anyway the subject has already been well discussed and this is not the thread to reopen a bee in your bonnet.
End of debate - I'll not answer any reply.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Knock on doors, complete with a clip-board register around the specific area of Forest Green for opinion KG111 and I think you will find that the general consensus is that we are a bloody nuisance on match days.
Last edited by Fartvs Antiqvvs on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:37 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Currently FGR have been promoted to the EFL with hopes of further successes. That will ensure continued good attendances. The move to Eco Park on Juntion 13 will be in a greater catchment area which will automatically attract increased crowds.

What greater catchment area TOTC, Eastington :lol: You cant rely on furthur places suddenly attracting a host of new supporters especially in egg-land. Has there actually been any proper assessment of this?

Id far far rather the traditional fans many who are likely to come whatever rather than JCLs who will slope off when an inevitable downturn happens.

Who has done the formal assessment to judge Forest Green is "too small for huge crowds", its never been yet, still loads of places to park and walk and just try some imaginative eco ideas for transportation up the hill. Its not been tried, makes me suspect an ulterior motive.

Any area with a football club on its doorstep will have its moaners about traffic around 24 times a year for a few hours, what terrible hardship ;)
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:13 pm

doggy wrote:Can I take this opportunity to unreservedly apologise to the whole team whom I said earlier in the season, despite their totally brilliant efforts and commitment, would struggle in the conference. I could not have foreseen the unexpected gulf between league 2 and the non league, something I believe wasn’t apparent a couple of seasons ago. But yesterday I saw a team that were well above the conference standard based on this game

You are not alone Doggy and I don't think that we are out of the woods yet in the League. I too was surprised by the gap between Conference and League 2 which I too thought had grown since I last saw League 2 regularly. I started to wonder where the next points wee going to come from. I agree that MC and the team have done a great job in closing that gap in practical ways and through hard work. They and we have had to keep the faith during the losing run and the crowd did a good job yesterday in keeping the support noise levels up.

MC is a hard man to love - how much difference it would make if he just acknowledged the crowd at the end of games a bit more fulsomely - but he knows what he is doing. I am certainly glad that DV didn't listen to the calls for him to sack MC during October; he always did deserve more time and he has been given that. It seems that there have been some unplanned blows that MC has had to absorb like Laird's loss of form, Pinnock's departure and Noble's disloyalty and they did take some time to overcome. Developing the likes of Monthe, Iacovitti and Fitzwater, signing Osbourne and getting him fit, and keeping Traore and Doidge fresh have all taken a while but that is now paying off.

For me the biggest worry was when MC caved in to go for a more direct style of play. Fortunately he reverted to playing a more passing game and I hope he sticks to those guns almost no matter what. Its great that he is now getting results while delivering attractive, quality football. I'm glad those who wanted his head 4-6 weeks ago have been proven wrong and that there is now more widespread support for him and the team. That is not to say that there won't be some more difficult times ahead but, if there are, I hope more will show their support through them.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 pm

This thread will have to be moved to General Chat - New Stadium if it carries on like this.

I read Colin's comments on attendance this morning and just thought nothing new there.

Having thought about it today the first thing I'd say is that it's quite flattering to be comparing ourselves to an established "big" team like Hereford United. It shows how far we have already come. I'm not surprised that it was a sell out at Edgar Street. The supporters have a massive stake in what is now a community club along the lines of Exeter City and AFC Wimbledon, you have a direct stake then you have to be there. Also a Shropshire Herefordshire derby.

It doesn't really matter how you cut it, our average attendance was around 750 ish? in 2001 when we played Macclesfield in that game. Even in 2011 our average was short of a thousand. We had a short lived 20% increase in attendance when we moved into The New Lawn, which was exactly what was expected for a club moving to a new ground. that included a ground half full of Oxford United Supporters.

What is happening now is quite remarkable. our attendance has gone up year on year and now stands around the 2500 mark which is a 250% increase in the last 8 years. And we are limiting away support to 800 odd.

2500 is still only a half full average. Nailsworth is beginning to struggle on parking on match days and so is traffic. I got the 5.30 back yesterday but with any bigger crowd I wouldn't have got the train. If we get up to 3500 average we could be in a pickle logistically speaking.

When we built The New Lawn in 2006 I for one didn't realistically forsee an average crowd in excess of 2500 for a generation, not a decade.

We will be at The New Lawn for a while yet with the new development not progressing as planned at the moment. No doubt Dale is taking stock and as he says, looking to the long term future. Good. And it is just a fantastic situation to be in with a Chairman who had a vision for Forest Green Rovers.

We looked at moving to Eastington in years gone by and so the new location might have happened earlier if we hadn't been able to progress The New Lawn with GCC, SDC, NTC all 100% supportive.

We've moved on far faster than I could ever imagine and planning for the future is needed again.

The new stadium site is far more accessible but there are many details to get right even at the earliest feasibility stage. It's in the middle of a field next to the motorway at the moment. But the West of Stonehouse development is now under way with 1500 new houses, and other developments being planned. So it won't be long before its not in the middle of nowhere. And now is the time to plan it out.

It will have a 5000 capacity initially but designed to increase when needed. It must have a 2000 space car park initially until the eco Park and it's associated car parking comes on line. The one thing there isn't at the moment is any informal on street parking around the new site, unlike at Nailsworth and Forest Green. If it is not fully freely accessible before and after the match it could be disastrous for FGR.

But there's plenty of time to plan it sort out the details and get them incorporated into a new master plan.

The devil is always in the detail and there are thousands of them to get into line.

If we carry on at the same pace of development at Forest Green, then a new stadium in 5 years time would be just about right, if not a little late.

As for yesterday's crowd, I had forgotten that my season ticket didn't cover the game. I'm sure a few season ticket holders decided to give it a miss, along with other regulars. A non league banana skin team like Macclesfield Town was hardly likely to attract a big crowd.

Let's see who the draw throws up for round 2.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Yesterday's attendance v MTFC 1387.

Attendance in 2001 v MTFC for one of our biggest ever games 1714. Not that different from yesterday really. And back then a lot of locals came along who didn't usually watch FGR

The memory plays tricks and that famous 11-10 penalty shoot out loss appears to have been watched by maybe double the number who actually attended. That's the magic of the cup for you.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

You're rewriting history here. FGR were already on a downturn when the name was changed to Stroud. It simply made a bad situation even worse. Yes, the upturn happened after the name was changed back to FGR, but that was more coincidental than as a direct consequence - it was the involvement of TH that changed things.

I keep reading about how being in the EFL means Nailsworth can't cope with the traffic, there is nowhere to park etc. Maybe it's because I know the area very well, but I never have difficulty legally parking for matches. There aren't too many grounds in League Two where you can't park within a half mile radius for free.

This whole parking issue is an excuse to uproot a football club, move it to the wilderness in a ground that is no bigger but ticks a box on the green agenda for Ecotricity. That's what it is all about. Why on Earth will a new ground increase attendance figures in all but the initial flurry of publicity? It won't. The foot traffic will be non-existent.

It's telling that many of the people I know who originate from Nailsworth, and have been watching FGR for as long as I have, don't want the club to move. It is part of our identity and part of the community. Many of the newer supporters - and the BoD IMHO - don't understand the connection between Forest Green and the football club.

Whilst generally in favour of a new stadium and continued progress for the football club, I agree with many of the points made here. I have never found parking a problem and it’s no different to most away games. How will parking be better at the new stadium? Especially now the eco park is not part of the plans. Yes I’m sure there willl be a bigger car park. But I doubt it will be big enough and won’t be free. There will be virtually no street parking around the ground as there are no streets. It also seems shortsighted to build with only a 5k capacity when we could already easily get crowds of 4K plus a few times a season at he nee lawn. Whilst crowds have been good this season they could be better it the ground were arranged better. We had at least 1100 in the West Terrace for the Derby game yet it’s still restricted to 800 away supporters. We could easily have give the North stand to Swindon and added 500 to the gate. The home seats sell out or almost sell out most weeks and there is clear demand for more home support to view from the side and for seats.
Surely it wouldn’t be to difficult to build a decent seated stand in the west side similar to Kiddy or even like Crawley or Bristol Rovers temporary stands. Split this in half with Home support at the South end and away at the North end. The away support has the North stand and part of west depending on numbers and we have South, East and other half of West. I believe this would add an extra 400-600 to our average gate.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Fantastic game, I have no doubt more fans will join as we get further in the comp. Watching the team defend really increased my confidence.

Ideas and culture have already changed since the ecopark plans. Would be good to look after forest green and the health of its community first. Sustainability in sport and all that.

As the away fans often say it would be fab to have electric vehicles whizzing them from a good parking area to the little club at the top of the hill. Our views, location, community are part of our identity.

I feel there is a very creative solution just around the corner that will suit nearly everyone and be really exciting. The current site could be reworked as exemplar of sport, energy, transport, architecture, health and community. This I believe would be more a more challenging project, but it would attract so much more attention.

Great game at the little club on the hill, I can't wait till the draw tomorrow!
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Spike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 am

Where's Twinkle toes gone ?

I was enjoying that ! :lol:
Spike
Youth
Youth

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:[You're rewriting history here. FGR were already on a downturn when the name was changed to Stroud. It simply made a bad situation even worse. Yes, the upturn happened after the name was changed back to FGR, but that was more coincidental than as a direct consequence - it was the involvement of TH that changed things..

Giraffe, how can you declare I'm rewriting history when you say more or less the same thing.

And now that you have been living in Cheltenham for a number of years, I take your comment about the parking situation around Forest Green with a pinch of salt.
It was only a few weeks ago that a resident vandalised a supporter's parked car.
And God help a poor resident who desperately requires an emergency vehicle at same time as final whistle. Her house could be burned down by time fire engine arrives.
Forest Green Rovers are no longer a small village team that the local community can cope with but an ever growing EFL club that has almost outgrown its historical home.

Anyway the subject has already been well discussed and this is not the thread to reopen a bee in your bonnet.
End of debate - I'll not answer any reply.

Same old OTC. Writes something then slams the door shut, puts fingers in ears and sings 'la la la'. I'm not saying the same as you. There is a subtle difference.

By your own logic I shouldn't be taking your own comments seriously given that you don't live in Forest Green. Yet I have four close family members who do, and I see them all at least once per week. I'm still in touch with Forest Green. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's your association? Being a Cheltenham fan doesn't count.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

Tim
Very well written post but I would not expect anything other from someone who worked tirelessly with me on the move to the current stadium. We know what hurdles we faced and the thought processes behind it all.

You will know but few will not that when I was charged initially by the Board in 2000 about looking at possible new sites for the future, that the site which the club is now pursuing at Jnct 13 was one I sat down with the planners at Stroud DC to discuss. At that time we were empathically told that this would be a no go because it would open a can of worms on residential options which building companies had inthe area. At the time the big debate going on was what is now Hunts Grove, a mere stones throw away. Policies will change but opposition may not, especially those living in Eastington who might feel the plans again open up the likelihood of Eastington being swallowed up.

What the club is currently looking at for the future is no different to what we did back in 2000. I support the club in its vision for the future. Without that being paramount today then had we also sat back 17 years ago the old ground would be still in existence and probably playing to just 32 people and a dog in the County League or something similar. With the vision then the option for Dale to become involved in 2010 would not have been even contemplated.

What annoys me intensely is a minority who want to always have a dig. Having risen to become an EFL club I raised what I thought were genuine questions around Saturday's attendance. Because I raise these questions I get pilloried as if I have some sort of agenda. You obviously don't know me!

I therefore applaud those who make reasoned debate which has come forth. I watched the highlights of the match and where my seat is in the East Stand, it was devoid of people, when for a League match it has been fully occupied and by most who tell me they have taken advantage of tickets for one reason or another. Even with reduced prices for the FA Cup the drop was considerable. Surely someone must think it worthwhile having a debate on the drop from the average League attendance? It can't be season ticket holders because very few sit where I do.

Tim gave the actual differences in the attendances for the Macclesfield ties from 2001 with 2017 and it was quite revealing. So the question is whilst I personally support a move to a more new stadium (crikey ours is just 11 years old) it is the demographics and mathematics which must be assessed and Saturday should surely be one of those occasions when it raises serious debate? One could argue was the marketing of it sufficient, yet why flog this to see 50% go to the,opposition. There are many permutations but it doesn't hurt surely looking at the variables?

And remember the whole process of moving to,Jnct 13 will cost a fair bit of money and the overall operating costs will rise for certain. Plus from what I see the new build will only have around the same capacity as the current one. Is the location of our current stadium stopping people from coming to matches? I don't believe it does but it's no good guessingat it.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Earl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Interesting contributions from Mothy and Chrisgump11. I tend to side more with Mothy.
I come to FGR to watch football and support my team. Simple as that.

What’s becoming insufferable is the whole preachy atmosphere where one lifestyle is now promoted as morally superior to the way non-adherents choose to live.
As the owner he can do as a pleases with his causes and business promotion. I have no complaints about that but I feel the club has lost focus on dealing with fan issues.

Not sure what FootieMan keeps banging on about but this is an open forum so everyone can have their say.

Anyway, Saturday was a great result and hopefully gives the team added impetus to maintain the current good form.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:50 pm

This
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Tim gave the actual differences in the attendances for the Macclesfield ties from 2001 with 2017 and it was quite revealing. So the question is whilst I personally support a move to a more new stadium (crikey ours is just 11 years old) it is the demographics and mathematics which must be assessed and Saturday should surely be one of those occasions when it raises serious debate? One could argue was the marketing of it sufficient, yet why flog this to see 50% go to the,opposition. There are many permutations but it doesn't hurt surely looking at the variables?

And remember the whole process of moving to,Jnct 13 will cost a fair bit of money and the overall operating costs will rise for certain. Plus from what I see the new build will only have around the same capacity as the current one. Is the location of our current stadium stopping people from coming to matches? I don't believe it does but it's no good guessing at it.

This first point is very interesting - I wonder if it is a reflection on how far we have come as a club, in that perhaps back in 2001 the game was seen as a much 'bigger' fixture, because qualification for the 'first round proper' of the FA Cup required us to play several games and was never taken for granted, where as now as an EFL club we are a 'shoo in' and fans are perhaps more interested in the possibilities of Rounds 2 and 3, or further if we dare to dream so big...?

Parking has definitely got more difficult around TNL in the last couple of seasons, but it is hardly impossible and I do not think that a move to Jct 13 will solve the problem - as others have pointed out, the likelihood of there being a big enough car park for all fans seems remote, plus there is no 'street' parking for anyone when the ground is on a Motorway junction, or the option of walking to the ground.

I do not know what capacity there is for increasing the size of the current ground, but given that it can in theory hold 5,000 and most weeks is less than half full, I don't think we need to move to create additional capacity, because quite simply we are not suddenly going to get an extra 1,000 plus fans rocking up every week. I can imagine that many of the local residents do dread home games, but there are surely creative ways to address this, not least Park and Ride schemes.

I hope one day that FGR do actually NEED to move to a bigger ground, because success on the pitch has swelled our support. But that day is not now IMHO and I do not think it will come for a good few years yet.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 pm

SkunkMan wrote: I hope one day that FGR do actually NEED to move to a bigger ground, because success on the pitch has swelled our support. But that day is not now IMHO and I do not think it will come for a good few years yet.

Just picking up on this final point. I agree but isn't this the point DV is making given his long term ambition and the limitations of the New Lawn (in terms of access and parking particularly). He is moving to what could be a bigger and more accessible ground because, although the need is not there now, it will be if his ambition to reach League 1 and even the Championship is realised. If we wait until we are promoted to look to get a bigger ground it will be too late. Regarding the parking at the new stadium if park and ride can be part of the solution at TNL, surely it can be part of it th.ere too

I am dreading the move personally - I will have to drive to the new ground whereas I can walk today (unless the park and ride can be extended to Nailsworth or Forest Green) - but I think I can see DV's logic given his confidence in the future.

The new parking restrictions on Spring Hill have made a huge positive difference but matchday must be irritating for a lot of the local residents. They knew what they risked when they bought into housing near a football ground but crowds have got bigger and may get bigger still if we do manage to challenge for a further promotion.

That seems like wishful thinking given we are 20th, still finding our feet and far from safe from relegation, but DV has a vision and he has taken us a long way already.
Last edited by Tommo on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team