FA cup 2nd round draw.

All about our First Team

Re: FA cup 2nd round draw.

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:56 pm

camel wrote:
candy wrote:
andymac26 wrote:Bl***y hell, swear I just saw OTC flash past as part of the BBC2 intro!

"Me too"

Conspicuous by his absence. He must be guilty.

I missed it: did anyone manage to get a screenshot?!?

Yep, on my Avatar.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DARTH » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 am

Was present at The Lawn for the previous FA Cup Tie with Exeter ' back in the day ' and as I recall, Motty was commentating for the Beeb and it was an awful game to be showing to a nationwide audience, culminating in the 0 - 0 scoreline. Let us hope it is a different story this time around' with FGR emerging as victors.
DARTH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 am

I think I remember watching that on the TV. Was it the third round? And what year? I'm sure someone will post, if not I'll have to go and look it up in one of Timb's books. Thank you to anyone who does recall. Although, at the old ground it actually doesn't seem so long ago, but then those years just roll by.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby londonstripe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 am

2002/3 season, under Colin Addison.
Some great names on that team sheet - Steve Perrin, Darren Jones, Neil Grayson, Fozzie, Big Dave...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 480783.stm
londonstripe
Trainee
Trainee

Postby king prawn bhuna » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Since my first FGR game at the Ricoh after only 60 years and the start of the renaissance, I've kept an eye on the results and pretty good reading they make too.

My local is a getting fed up with me chanting 'another win for the village team....' keep it up everyone and good luck with a cup run...
Plenty in the tank sir......bloody good shot Rovers!
king prawn bhuna
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 pm

king prawn bhuna wrote:Since my first FGR game at the Ricoh after only 60 years and the start of the renaissance, I've kept an eye on the results and pretty good reading they make too.

My local is a getting fed up with me chanting 'another win for the village team....' keep it up everyone and good luck with a cup run...

Thanks KPB, much appreciated.
I'm sure team will do all they can to keep you [and us] happy.
A home tie against Exeter is winnable although they probably think the same after tanking us at TNL.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm

I have learnt that the FA should be announcing by Friday all the dates of when 2nd Round ties will take place.
I would personally welcome a Sunday kick off but we need to wait and see.

My guesses of TV picks are:
AFC Fylde v Wigan Athletic
Slough Town v Rochdale
AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 pm

And it was very interesting to read this from 2003 which proves "Never say never"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2771007.stm
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm

The games selected for live tv coverage, both for complete coverage and the BBC round the grounds effort, are likely to be those with a disparity in levels of the teams competing or where they expect some form of shock. Despite enjoying all the fuss around a live game, and the chance for us to show the World what is on offer at TNL, I suspect that a game between two fairly average Division Two teams...regardless of it being a sort of West Country derby...is unlikely to fall into the interesting category. I expect a 3pm Saturday kick-off.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby mauler » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 pm

The last FA cup fixture was certainly dire. The hillesley greens went too early with The Santa hats. not surprised they don't bring cameras back.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby fulltimefanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:55 pm

FootieMan wrote:I have learnt that the FA should be announcing by Friday all the dates of when 2nd Round ties will take place.
I would personally welcome a Sunday kick off but we need to wait and see.

My guesses of TV picks are:
AFC Fylde v Wigan Athletic
Slough Town v Rochdale
AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic

Agree with these picks. The first two pick themselves, plus there’s usually a ‘bigger’ tie and Wimbledon v Charlton fits the bill there.

Foggy wrote:The games selected for live tv coverage, both for complete coverage and the BBC round the grounds effort, are likely to be those with a disparity in levels of the teams competing or where they expect some form of shock. Despite enjoying all the fuss around a live game, and the chance for us to show the World what is on offer at TNL, I suspect that a game between two fairly average Division Two teams...regardless of it being a sort of West Country derby...is unlikely to fall into the interesting category. I expect a 3pm Saturday kick-off.

Logically, our game arguably should be picked on the Sunday as, aside from the fixtures FM has put above (and Gateshead v Luton) there aren’t really that many conventionally attractive ties in the draw.

That said, I guess the beauty of the eight game around the grounds format on the Sunday is that the BBC can cover its bases and pick several league versus non-league ties (normally steered well clear of by TV in isolation) in the hope that at least one comes off and can be their big story. Didn’t work in the first round, mind – there were four such games on the Sunday and not one even went to a replay.

So let’s assume for the Sunday we provisionally have…
Gateshead v Luton
Wycombe v Billericay/Leatherhead
Notts County v Oxford City
Fleetwood v Hereford
Coventry v Boreham Wood
MK Dons v Maidstone

…then a further two after that.

All ifs and buts mind you.
fulltimefanatic
Youth
Youth

Postby FootieMan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 pm

So Friday night game from BBC is confirmed:

AFC Fylde v Wigan Athletic.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm

FA just announce decision re games in Rd2 now not today but next week. Ahem!
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm

So basically...

If I want my 'season ticket seat' for the Exeter game, have to book it and pay for it by Friday lunchtime...

...despite not knowing if the game will be on Saturday 2nd or Sunday 3rd December...?

:shock:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 am

What Skunkman said.

Could the club extend the deadline for season ticket holders to buy their tickets please?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Jovial Forester » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:16 am

Johnny Maxted saved two pens in the shootout tonight to see Guiseley through.
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am

The Jovial Forester wrote:Johnny Maxted saved two pens in the shootout tonight to see Guiseley through.

What a good goalie he is! He was unlucky to come up against Russell in the form of his life otherwise he would still be with us (though kicking his heels on the bench)
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 pm

So far, according to the FA website, the confirmed TV games are:

Friday night Fylde v Wigan on BBC
Saturday lunchtime Notts Co v Oxford City on BT Sport
Monday night Slough v Rochdale on BT Sport

The four confirmed Sunday games so far are:

Wimbledon v Charlton
Blackburn v Crewe
Coventry v Boreham
Woking v Tranmere/Peterborough
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Tommo wrote:
The Jovial Forester wrote:Johnny Maxted saved two pens in the shootout tonight to see Guiseley through.

What a good goalie he is! He was unlucky to come up against Russell in the form of his life otherwise he would still be with us (though kicking his heels on the bench)

He also saved two penalties during normal time in their 0-1 home defeat to Bromley on Saturday in the National League :o

I always rated him and thought he would get better and better, he was only 23 when he left us. I wonder if we ever considered loaning him to Guiseley for a season rather than selling him? Having said that, he has also been on the bench for them a few times this season by the look of it, although I don't know whether this is down to form, fitness or Guiseley maybe being blessed with good goalkeepers?!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Lawn Rangers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

There are now 9 games scheduled for 2pm on Sunday 4 Dec that suggests to me that our game is staying on Saturday. Good news for me.
The Lawn Rangers
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team