Match thread from the Checkatrade Stadium (Crawley)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from the Checkatrade Stadium (Crawley)

Postby Tommo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:59 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Obvious penalty - could not understand why the ref did not give it at the time.

Not a penalty - it was outside the area. But a strong case for a sending off. Doidge might not have caught up with his flip of the ball past the goalie but the goalie intended to stop the ball to deny a goal scoring opportunity and it might well have been one.

Just have to get a bit more luck on Saturday
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi
GETCARTER wrote:Obvious penalty - could not understand why the ref did not give it at the time.

Can a penalty be awarded for an offence committed outside the 18 yard box?

Sorry Tommo, didn't realise that another page had been started before I typed the above.

Over to Colin for that one, unless junior comes on, he used to referee.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Just been reading Crawley forum and by and large they are complimentary towards FGR.
Obviously the early posts sent during the heat of the game were biased but later ones offering considered opinion admitted that FGR should have been ahead at half time, but that Crawley dominated most of second half.
They thought it was a good game with both sides having chances to win game and a draw was a fair result.

One poster wrote something very positive about FGR:

"FGR had a few useful players in midfield too.

Traore looks a quality midfielder. Strong, imposing, good dribbler.

They looked a useful side FGR, surprised they are below us. Surely they'll be up there come the end of the season if they play like they did today."
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 pm

It was a shame we didn't convert more of our chances into goals yesterday, Kieffer Moore is now top scorer in English league but was deemed not good enough to get into our first eleven!!
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

Apologies - didn,t mean penalty, ( what was i thinking ? ), meant to state to that it was a legitimate sending-off offence for the Crawley goalie.Too many ciders!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 am

twinkletoes wrote:It was a shame we didn't convert more of our chances into goals yesterday, Kieffer Moore is now top scorer in English league but was deemed not good enough to get into our first eleven!!

But Doidge was always MCs choice and, so, our Plan A. Moore wouldn't have started enough games while Doidge was fit and MC was determined to play just 1 up top. Its a shame we couldn't have both but the Ipswich offer was surely too good to turn down given the alternative was fighting for a first team place with us and resting on the bench for most games. Personally I think Doidge and Moore as a double act could have been made to work but I'm happy with what we have and I'm sure Moore is happy with his lot.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am

My interpretation of the laws and looking at that freeze frame are that its a free kick on the edge of the box and an automatic red for the 'keeper.

Notable that the match stats I read show 18 shots on goal, 7 of which were on target, for both teams. Which does rather suggest that a draw was a fair result!
Last edited by SkunkMan on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

Tommo wrote:
twinkletoes wrote:It was a shame we didn't convert more of our chances into goals yesterday, Kieffer Moore is now top scorer in English league but was deemed not good enough to get into our first eleven!!

But Doidge was always MCs choice and, so, our Plan A. Moore wouldn't have started enough games while Doidge was fit and MC was determined to play just 1 up top. Its a shame we couldn't have both but the Ipswich offer was surely too good to turn down given the alternative was fighting for a first team place with us and resting on the bench for most games. Personally I think Doidge and Moore as a double act could have been made to work but I'm happy with what we have and I'm sure Moore is happy with his lot.

Agreed. In reality, I can't see how him playing would have made a difference in the final analysis?

Ipswich signed Kieffer based on a fairly limited number of chances in our first team...

...surely if he had played MORE games for us, they would still have wanted him just the same?

And we could hardly have stood in the way of such a move (a la Pinnock)?

The only difference might have been that if he had played more and scored more for us, other teams might have got interested and we might have got more money...?!
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:.

One poster wrote something very positive about FGR:

"They looked a useful side FGR, surprised they are below us. Surely they'll be up there come the end of the season if they play like they did today."

And lets be honest, can you imagine ANYONE saying THAT during the first 7-8 games?! :o
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Law 12
"DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY
Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

Were there any other Crawley players between the handball incident and the goal?
If not why was it a yellow and not a red?

The answer is a definite “NO”, it was a one on one. The referee consulted his linesman before producing the yellow card.
I very rarely criticise the officials as they are usually closer to the action and they are not all idiots, however, this referee was atrocious all game and that decision was in line with his general decisions, extremely poor or even diabolical.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Come on John get down off the fence and tell us what you really think :lol: ;)
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Full highlights here.

https://youtu.be/PjJEN3_5E38

Shows quite a lot more of our intricate build up play, hard style to coach but looks great when you get good at it. Technically we're looking a good side, lots of players who are comfortable in possession, prepared to be brave and even if it occassionally costs us goals, it's very good to see and will get results. The way football should be played, on the floor.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Im excited now for the future games.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks KS
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 am

I know my match report's a bit late but I've been busy and short of time.

So:

First 45 mins we outplayed them and should've been two up at half-time.

Unfortunately we weren't. :(

Second half they did deserve one.....but that's all.
We deserved two more in the last ten minutes.

So 4-1 would've been fairer result if Ref had made better (correct) decisions.

No complaints about any of our players. They were brilliant.
Bradley so deserves his place. He's not only playing, he's saving us week after week.

My MOTM was pretty impressive when he came on (considering his absence), but Reece Brown was pretty good too!

P.S. What made the day extra special was being able to meet up with those I already knew and others I'd never met before.

:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners Jnr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 am

Its outside the box so can't be a penalty. But as a former ref I would have sent the keeper off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team