Match Thread from The New Lawn (Crewe Alexandra)

All about our First Team

Re: Match Thread from The New Lawn (Crewe Alexandra)

Postby cookiesos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Yes I have noticed we have a band of idiots at Forest Green as well.
I did notice the visiting supporters mouthing off at the end of the game. they made a right spectacle of themselves too.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby chelsearover » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Why cannot the club get some of those cheap plastic capes for away supporters when it rains, like what was given to us at swindon,maybe cheaper than a canopy,
chelsearover
First Team
First Team

Postby Equinox » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Fantastic end to the afternoon, that’s the way to win a game ! Put so many smiles on faces , priceless . In appalling conditions to see that commitment and determination was what we all pay our money for. Well done everyone. Thought the atmosphere at the end proves what their club really means to them. Excellent, now to keep progressing and proving people wrong . Cheltenham is going to be very interesting, I think it will basically boil down to who wants it more, hopefully after yesterday’s performance that will be FGRFC ! COYR’S !!
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm

chelsearover wrote:Why cannot the club get some of those cheap plastic capes for away supporters when it rains, like what was given to us at swindon,maybe cheaper than a canopy,

Don't remember those c/s. The day before the game, I made a pair of leggings, using 2 bin liners stapled together and another with the neck and arm holes cut out in a 3rd. That weather was so bad, that I succumbed to the 'Pity' Stand, soaking wet through, via the water ingress in the cut-outs.

Those were the days my friend. :lol:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm

I may be in the minority here but think giving north stand to home supporters and south stand back to away end and split wet terrace half each. Just think this is common sense solution.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Rich E wrote:Some match highlights here:

http://www.skysports.com/football/fores ... ort/374274

I nominate Alex Iacovitti's winning goal celebration as 'Best Goal Celebration of Season'.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi
20yrs and counting wrote:I may be in the minority here but think giving north stand to home supporters and south stand back to away end and split wet terrace half each. Just think this is common sense solution.

That would mean the teams, mascots and flag wavers coming out surrounded by away fans.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
20yrs and counting wrote:I may be in the minority here but think giving north stand to home supporters and south stand back to away end and split wet terrace half each. Just think this is common sense solution.

That would mean the teams, mascots and flag wavers coming out surrounded by away fans.

Not to mention the fact it would make away fans sound much louder. It was no coincidence that Crewe gained a bit of impetus when their fans got louder. Keep them all over one side but give them a makeshift cover imo.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Sorry to upset the lefties on this forum but Its tough luck that's the away end deal with it.

And the so called idiots that support our club are the ones that cooper praises and the players love. They make the noise give me 500 more of them instead of the moaning main stand mob.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Well said Mike.

Oh and I have a Main Stand Season Ticket, but the South Stand is where it's at in creating a proper football league atmosphere.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby doggy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 pm

cookiesos wrote:Yes I have noticed we have a band of idiots at Forest Green as well.
I did notice the visiting supporters mouthing off at the end of the game. they made a right spectacle of themselves too.

A band of idiots is a bit harsh, these are young bucks puffing their chests out in a world where bravado in football is expressed with over zealous and sometimes over insulting banter but shouldn’t be taken too literally, it was very poor of those in charge of saturdays situation to allow fans in same area as I posted before, but, despite police presence those who waved fists had every chance to “ bring it on” if they had so wished, but as usual it was all bluff and hot air, our fans sang (about Cheltenham ) and responded by jesturing back, that’s all. It was the same at Cheltenham for the checkatrade game and nothing progressed at that game either. To pick out PM is also a bit harsh, now PM has form for being “naughty” in some peoples eyes and would probably be the first to admit this if you talked to him, but is in fact a committed loyal fan who wants nothing more than FGR to succeed, and I suspect is mellowing with age like the rest of us. Don’t dis our young fans too much, they are the future and like me when they hit 59 they might just calm down!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 pm

cookiesos wrote:Yes I have noticed we have a band of idiots at Forest Green as well.

These so called bunch of idiots are us, our friends, our neighbours and our children. Come on.

I agree with Phil_Mitchel but I do think the main stand has got much louder and more supportive over the last year or two.

It takes all sorts, let's not fall for the left Vs right bullcrap, that just makes normal people powerless.

Come on rovers best form in the league!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 pm

“It was difficult with the conditions to play. Crewe had a clear game plan to put bodies behind the ball and try and catch us in a trap of giving the ball away, which we did and it resulted in the opening goal which makes it harder for us.

Is it a fair statement to state that in rugby union,where a team is deep in their own half,the end of the game beckons, and they have to make the full length of the pitch to score a try-it so rarely happens.

is the same true in american football ?
All these phases usually end in a breakdown
yes-very occasionally it happens-but rarely ?

why would it be any different in football?
the more passes you make-the nearer you are to giving the ball away.
whats the point of making about 20/30 passes then ?
looks nice-but unlikely to score.
99 times out of a hundred it will 'break down'.

i don't think you need to be much of a super football coach ,to decide that just let them pass it around ,as eventually a pass will go astray.
its simple logic and 'averages'.
Are FGR thus one of the easiest sides to defend against ?
its hardly energy sapping for the opposition either
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 pm

michael wrote:“It was difficult with the conditions to play. Crewe had a clear game plan to put bodies behind the ball and try and catch us in a trap of giving the ball away, which we did and it resulted in the opening goal which makes it harder for us.

Is it a fair statement to state that in rugby union,where a team is deep in their own half,the end of the game beckons, and they have to make the full length of the pitch to score a try-it so rarely happens.

i don't think you need to be much of a super football coach ,to decide that just let them pass it around ,as eventually a pass will go astray.

Yep this. I love good posession football but if players are dropping back when we get in the final third because they want to keep possession, we end up going the wrong way.

Also it was so wet, it makes sense to put the keeper under pressure.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 am

Watch the keeper just after the winner goes in - Omar gives him a right mouthful. I wonder why?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby coyler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm

These band of idiots will also be at Chesterfield tomorrow evening, taking time off work, spending hard earned money to support their team on a cold Tuesday night 2 1/2 hours from home.
The South Stand gets some stick but they do support. Considering the main stand is full of moaners I’m surprised Cooper hasn’t asked to move the dugouts again.
Regarding the Crewe fans Saturday... Jordan got banned for “moshing” something I have never seen written in any football ground rules and regulations rules. Whereas “entering the field of play” is a rule..seemed to be not a rule for the Crewe fans though.

I do hope it’s not raining up there in Crewe today as they obviously don’t like it. Poor chaps.

Great result. Roll on Chesterfield and Cheltenham
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
michael wrote:“It was difficult with the conditions to play. Crewe had a clear game plan to put bodies behind the ball and try and catch us in a trap of giving the ball away, which we did and it resulted in the opening goal which makes it harder for us.

Yep this. I love good posession football but if players are dropping back when we get in the final third because they want to keep possession, we end up going the wrong way.

Also it was so wet, it makes sense to put the keeper under pressure.

Playing safe passes will give the ball away far less then pumping it long and hoping for the best. Yes moves will 'break down' but if you just sit back and let teams play then they can eventually hurt you, depends how good they are at moving the ball around.
The energy sapping thing is completely incorrect, the ball moves faster than any player and a team moving the ball around with purpose will make a defense run far more often than playing it long to a static defense that only has to head the ball clear.

THAT SAID the long ball has a place in our style of play. We need to keep possession enough to control a match, but possession for possession's sake isn't going to break teams down. The direct play needs to be mixed in with the shorter passing to keep defenses honest, to find a particular defense's weakness, to force them to keep thinking and 2nd guessing how we're going to attack. If we see they have a keeper who is struggling to deal with high balls into the box, lets put him under pressure. If we see their centre backs aren't dealing with Doidge, let's play more whipped crosses into the box. If we see they're slow and have positioning issues in defense, then let's expose it by moving the ball around on the ground.
Tactical flexibility and attacking intelligence is what unlocks defenses, which means not being slaved to one form of attack over another. Players like KMB and Brown are best suited to playing passing football, and they've been our 2 most creative players this season and a huge part of why our form has turned around. We've got some talent in our side to play both forms of football, let's use that.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

Watch the keeper just after the winner goes in - Omar gives him a right mouthful. I wonder why?

Maybe this is a rhetorical question but Bugeil got booked for what looked like a soft foul on the goalie in the previous corner and I think he felt the goalie played for it.

On the question of passing football, I agree with DursleyDog. Its effective football when the passing is far enough up the pitch and we have creative players able to up the pace and go past a player. I think that is what is so promising about Stevens but as DD says, KMB and Brown are doing a good job of this at the moment. We also have Traore, Monthe, Iacovitti and even Collins able to carry the ball through the midfield at pace to create space and, at times, a bit of chaos.

We do need to create a few more chances and maybe as the pitches get worse they will be created more often by longer balls forward and a lucky bounce or two. But meanwhile, I'm happy that we are sticking to passing football and not reverting to long ball as we did in the first half versus Port Vale.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Think the passing game is good to watch, hate hoof football, however, if i have one small criticism of our current style of play is the lack of movement when we do have possession, standing in the south stand its quite noticeable that when we have the ball at the back there is very little movement up front and when Doidge makes a move to either corner he ends up getting dragged to areas of the pitch where he becomes less potent. Wish we just moved the ball a bit quicker from the back especially when opposition play breaks down deep in our half and try and take advantage of wing backs driving forward before opponents fall back into formation, just feel our boys could become a tad more proactive in midfield.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby The Cumbrian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

chelsearover wrote:Why cannot the club get some of those cheap plastic capes for away supporters when it rains, like what was given to us at swindon,maybe cheaper than a canopy,

I think all that disposable plastic would go against the club's environmental ethos
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team