All about our First Team

FGR apology

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: FGR apology

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

So police blamed the club after game. Stewards blamed Stadium manager. And the club say it was not them.
So who's lying
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 pm

well apology not accepted by me.

No doubt everyone will hide behind policy/health and safety etc, but i think it is disgraceful that the club (and many supporters ) can contemplate allowing the crewe supporters to be out in the rain, when there was obvious space on the north terrace.

exacerbated by all the current BBB stuff about security camera's /bans on those who went on the pitch.
It is the fault/responsibility of FGR for having such a stupid policy in the first instance,as many were suggesting in the summer.
that policy created the situation.

human beings do not want to get wet-and just like the animals we are-natural instinct is to look for shelter.

Nether is it a unique situation/ground layout, yet other clubs handle and manage it sensibly
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Another example of communication failings, stewards often clueless, as we have seen in past, as are the plods, who if right in letting fans in NS via pitch are accommodating the opposite of the very reason they are there!! The problem occurred here the day whoever thought it would be a good idea to give us back the NS, we were never going to get large numbers in there and did anyone bother to canvas the West terrace for their opinions? Give us back the west terrace and give the NS to away fans, problem solved, oh and give NS season ticket holders free entry for rest of season!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Seat C32 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm

No doubt everyone will hide behind policy/health and safety etc, but i think it is disgraceful that the club (and many supporters ) can contemplate allowing the crewe supporters to be out in the rain, when there was obvious space on the north terrace.

exacerbated by all the current BBB stuff about security camera's /bans on those who went on the pitch.
It is the fault/responsibility of FGR for having such a stupid policy in the first instance,as many were suggesting in the summer.

human beings do not want to get wet-and just like the animals we are-natural instinct is to look for shelter.

Nether is it a unique situation/ground layout, yet other clubs handle and manage it sensibly

Couldn't agree more. I actually spoke to Dane Vince at half-time and said I thought it was disgraceful that the away supporters were left in the rain when there was so much empty space in the North Stand. He looked amazed when I made my comments, but perhaps he acted on not only my comments but others who also voiced their similar views.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Seat C32 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I actually spoke to Dane Vince at half-time and said I thought it was disgraceful that the away supporters were left in the rain when there was so much empty space in the North Stand. He looked amazed when I made my comments, but perhaps he acted on not only my comments but others who also voiced their similar views.

Can't believe that people are taking this view! The away fans have there section and that's that, wether you believe they should have shelter or not is irrelevant, they didn't and they chose to break rules and go on to the pitch and in to a different section. Their fans have a history of causing trouble and at the end on the way out that was quite obvious. Yes we want to be a welcoming club to an extent but we also want to take advantage of being the home team. Not surprising our home record is so poor when half our fans would probably give them the 3 points out of politeness...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Don't give Away fans a platform to give their team an advantage leave them where they are and start filling North stand by giving out tickets at local secondary schools and colleges.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm

With no disrespect to the south stand which is where I go, FGR are small in numbers and noise compared to most in this league. We need to keep the away fans as quiet as possible and take as much advantage of the noise we make.

There was a massive difference in noise from Crewe when they moved to the NS and they drowned out the singing from our fans other than the last exciting few minutes of the game. Why would we want to help the away team with acoustics from the NS? It seems madness to me and I'm sure MC and the team wouldn't appreciate it.
As has previously been stated, let's put a small covered section on the WT and seating for the OAPs, we tick all the hospitality boxes but keep them as quiet as we can and take advantage that the south stand gives to the team when they are out singing the opposition.
Last edited by FGR123 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 pm

well we are all going to have a different view-but could it be that if there was some animosity at the end, then crewe supporters are hardly going to be in a great mood,having been treated with such dis respect.

treat people decently-and they will act decently-and if nothing else-peer pressure from their level headed supporters will reign in the more hot headed among them.
that peer pressure wont be there where all alike have been treated so poorly by FGR.

If nothing else-how the heck was this not foreseen.
it does rain in the Uk and club/stewards and police should have had a policy in place before the game.

maybe they did-and quite rightly-ythe police saw it was nonsense-and likely to cause more difficulty if they did not make an over ruling 'executive decision' ,to allow Crewe supporters into the north stand.

Out of interest-has anyone got the link to the crewe forum to read their comments on this ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 pm

FGR123 wrote:With no disrespect to the south stand which is where I go, FGR are small in numbers and noise compared to most in this league. We need to keep the away fans as quiet as possible and take as much advantage of the noise we make.

There was a massive difference in noise from Crewe when they moved to the NS and they drowned out the singing from our fans other than the last exciting few minutes of the game. Why would we want to help the away team with acoustics from the NS? It seems madness to me and I'm sure MC and the team wouldn't appreciate it.
As has previously been stated, let's put a small covered section on the WT and seating for the OAPs, we tick all the hospitality boxes but keep them as quiet as we can and take advantage that the south stand gives to the team when they are out singing the opposition.

have i got this wrong then all these years.
are football matches decided by who sings the loudest ?

if that is the case-how come FGR won on saturday following your logic-and have equally won away from home recently .
this stuff about the crowd being 12th man might look/sound good (and even footieman who i respect goes on about it -but in practice-its nonsense
.Songs don't make points
how does any team win away from home if thats the case.
how did fgr beat crewe if 'they were louder '?

should be a good game on saturday-fairly even competition-lots of singing.
the two teams can stay in the dressing room, whilst the supporters sing, and then the ref can award the points to who sings loudest.
never mind football traing-lets get a vocal coach in so the players can join in and sing better
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ninja Hamster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:36 pm

My day and that of many others were ruined by this. We had to move to ensure safety of our group into the end of the east stand and got soaked ourselves. It's all very easy to comment when it doesn't directly affect you. If you are going to move supporters do it before the match if at all.

There was a genuine safety issue, so please think of others before supporting such decisions.

I expect there will be, I 'stayed didn't feel threatened' type comments but in pleasing a thuggish element, decent people were let down.

So this Saturday we will have quite a few chelt supporters in the NS with us. They aren't subtle as they leave responses to fgroffical tweets! Oh the joy.
The problem with options is that other people have them
Ninja Hamster
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

The idiots who were looking to fight at the end would have been more upset at losing the three points than being wet.

As I said I agree with giving them some cover but let's not underestimate what a difference a loud, vociferous crowd makes to the team. They can make the difference between staying up and getting relegated at the end of the season. Imagine as a player coming out each week at home and feeling like it's an away game.

The south stand have a growing number of 14-17 year olds who follow the singers in the crowd. Our noise is slowly improving and the players respond to it. Let's not shoot ourselves on the foot with this.
Can someone in the club tell us if a covered section is going up in the WT? We can then put this to bed and keep increasing the ever improving noise from the home fans.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm

michael wrote:
FGR123 wrote:With no disrespect to the south stand which is where I go, FGR are small in numbers and noise compared to most in this league. We need to keep the away fans as quiet as possible and take as much advantage of the noise we make.

have i got this wrong then all these years.
are football matches decided by who sings the loudest ?

if that is the case-how come FGR won on saturday following your logic-and have equally won away from home recently .
this stuff about the crowd being 12th man might look/sound good (and even footieman who i respect goes on about it -but in practice-its nonsense
.Songs don't make points
how does any team win away from home if thats the case.
how did fgr beat crewe if 'they were louder '?

should be a good game on saturday-fairly even competition-lots of singing.
the two teams can stay in the dressing room, whilst the supporters sing, and then the ref can award the points to who sings loudest.
never mind football traing-lets get a vocal coach in so the players can join in and sing better[/quot

Strongly disagree with this! Fans make a massive difference. Just ask the players their view on this.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 pm

The decision to give the away fans the West Terrace gives the travelling support an extra 300 tickets. To the clubs credit they are working on a cover and seating. Other clubs as mentioned have had years and done nothing. It's only an issue when it rains and I hear little complaint about the East Stand which soaks the front rows so is it that much of an issue?

It does give us an atmospheric advantage. That is important. Just ask people who have run the London marathon if you need something more relatable and first hand.

The club has made a decision which was probably a very difficult one to make. The differing views on here only highlights that. But it's a temporary issue and only relevant on days it rains and that for those fans it's one game a year. We don't half seem keen to stick the knife in sometimes. Let's face it we are a club on a very quick rise and we will have growing pains but that without the backing of those in charge we would be visiting away grounds much worse every other week.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Don't give Away fans a platform to give their team an advantage leave them where they are and start filling North stand by giving out tickets at local secondary schools and colleges.

Agree, we need the twelth man advantage, no need to give away fans an unnecessary helping hand. Away fans will just have to be patient until the covered area is created, as planned. So far the club management have got it right.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm

camel wrote:The club has made a decision which was probably a very difficult one to make. The differing views on here only highlights that. But it's a temporary issue and only relevant on days it rains and that for those fans it's one game a year. We don't half seem keen to stick the knife in sometimes. Let's face it we are a club on a very quick rise and we will have growing pains but that without the backing of those in charge we would be visiting away grounds much worse every other week.

"On a very quick rise" - no we aren't, we've gone up 1 division in 20 years. We've been in serious contention for promotion for the last 5 or so.

The lack of urgency shown in ensuring plans were put in place well in advance to ensure we at least provide the minimum amount of cover/seating for away fans is what has caused this issue. What we currently provide for away fans is no where near EFL standard and reflects badly on the club.

Every single away game we have had so far this season has seen our fans provided with ample cover and seating, whereas we are currently one of the worst clubs facility wise for away fans to visit. Many opposition fans have said that they wont come back to TNL next season, which ultimately could cost the club financially.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm not denying it's not great Kentstripe and you make some valid points. But we had three seasons in the playoffs. 20 years ago or even 10 years ago nobody would have envisaged the position we are in. How long have other clubs had in the FL to sort it out. So far we are in our 4th month and I imagine much of the delay isn't necessarily on the clubs part, but that is gut feeling.

The cost of getting relegated would be far worse and it could be argued that giving the away fans the acoustics of the NS could cost us points which may prove pivotal.

I'm sure if we get the terrace covered some of those fans would come back. As I'm sure they would if their fixture fell on a day with a good forecast.

Also say we go on a cup run and attract new fans in. They are more likely to come back if they have been in the NS than the West Terrace. We need to think about retaining people who dip their feet and test the waters.

I've been to games where I've been drenched and it's not nice, but I was prepared for it. I'd rather their fans were covered but I think the hysteria around it all is a bit out of perspective.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm

We are mixing up two related issues here imo.

1. Given the current layout of the ground, I believe that we have taken the right decision to largely nullify the large away followings that most clubs in this league have by giving them the West Terrace. The second half of the Crewe game showed what a difference it makes to have singing fans under covering designed to amplify noise.

Michael, no having a loud support isn't the deciding factor in games but its a big help. I think most of us agree that the difference between winning and losing is a matter of small margins here and there and having the away support quiet rather than loud is one margin that counts. I would agree with 'Phil Mitchell' and others that we should focus on filling the north stand and create a positive FGR atmosphere on three fully and permanently covered sides of the ground rather than giving up on further growing home support. Of course, more success on the pitch and exciting games like that on Saturday will help.

Having said that, I believe that some sort of temporary cover should be provided on the West Terrace for days like Saturday. It is poor that we haven't managed to put something in place by now given that we were promoted 6 months ago. It needn't be particularly robust cover (if the new stadium goes ahead it will be required only for a few seasons and making it flimsier than north or south stands will prevent the sort of level of vocal support Crewe mustered on Saturday). It just needs to keep those supporters who care dry - a small, fixed, open sided marquee maybe.

Until we have done the right thing and provided some sort of cover for at least some away fans we can only do as we do now and make sure that away fans know that the place they will be standing is uncovered. Crewe fans knew what to expect - or should have done. I agree with FGR123 that their fans were more fed up at the end about losing three points in 10 minutes than by getting wet. Maybe we need to step up expectation management in the future (as the club statement implies will be done) so there is no chance of surprises.

2. The safety issue - and it looked significant - on Saturday was caused by the police/stewards seemingly thinking that discretion the better part of valour and enabling so many Crewe fans to come into the north stand during the game. I don't like the fact that away fans don't have an option to stay reasonably dry on the West Terrace but that is where we are today. They knew that in advance and should have been forced to stay where they were. Hopefully there will be some action taken against those who took the law into their own hands and encroached on the pitch since that is the rules (I also hope there is leniency) and am encouraged by both the apology from the Club and the promise that the mid-game incursions won't happen again.

Now we are into winter the need to stand strong on the current arrangements seems to me to be increasingly important but also the need to find a temporary solution to providing a modicum of cover on the West Stand is becoming more urgent.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm

On the other hand Tommo, I think this singing thing is a bit fanciful with regard to the results, as on the contrary, if things were like our first quarter of the Season, the singing soon changes to chants of C/C ... out! M/C ... out! Booing and derision clearly aimed at the team or certain players for an off-day during the game.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Were there fans upset at losing 3 points or were some of them just looking for trouble come what may?As others have mentioned they have previous.
Michael you can bleat on about man management all you like and treating people with all the respect in the world but that won't stop a hooligan who has only one thing in mind on a Saturday afternoon.Kentstripe bleats on that we don't meet EFL standards, where is that written?We have a time scale to fulfill any requirements and I dare say we will meet them.I didn't see anyone demanding a roof on the West Terrace when we used to stand around there, we put up with the weather, I am sure away fans can too.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team