FGR apology

All about our First Team

Re: FGR apology

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Norton Boy wrote:I didn't see anyone demanding a roof on the West Terrace when we used to stand around there, we put up with the weather, I am sure away fans can too.

The difference is they had a choice, away fans don't.

And I didn't "bleat" that we aren't meeting the required minimum standards, we have till May 2018 to get 200 covered seats installed which I'm sure will happen. However when compared to what pretty much every other club offer our fans at their grounds, what we offer is sub standard.

I go to a lot of away games and tbh if home clubs start offering us poor facilities in retribution we can't really complain. We have a number of older fans who travel away who need seating, I can imagine if Crewe had provided us with no seats and no cover, with a virtually empty covered stand right near us that they refused to let us use as we all got soaked, a load of people would be on here complaining.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 pm

As i have said previously on here, Put up a marquee type cover on the West area for away fans, and no matter what the weather, keep them there. There is nothing worse in any situation where you change the instructions to supporters. I was not present at the Crewe game, but it looked bad, and could have been so easily avoided with a bit of direction. The away fans have been informed of conditions and if they choose to attend, so be it.We do not need to apologise. We must learn from this bad situation as it will occur again and we as a club will be judged on this. We are now in the real world and must adapt our nice club on the hill attitude to deal with this situation.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

We are also smaller than most clubs and the newest to the league so people need to make allowances just as we had to when small clubs got promoted to the conference.
I get what you mean but im sure the club has bigger priorities to deal with at the moment and Rome wasnt built in a day.Maybe the Crewe fans shoukd have checked the forecast and not turned up in t-shirts.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm

We are a league club. 1 intelligence 2. Surveillance. 3 Better stewarding 4. Better policing. It was correct to let the Crewe fans in if they had just been allowed to rampage into the North Stand it would have been mayhem, if the the police and stewarding had been more adequate it would not have happened.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

The home fans have to come first and can't be expected to share the North Stand with away supporters or be forced to move to another area.
Not because of any danger involved because I really don't think there is. Home and away fans tolerate each other more often than not and I don't think there is any reason for anyone to feel threatened.

However, our fans bought season tickets in the North for a reason and for that reason, it's not fair to change arrangements mid-season.

On the other hand, away fans have to be treated how you would hope to be treated at away grounds. You expect good facilities, seats for those that need them and shelter from bad weather.
The last two away grounds I visited we also had a warm, comfortable bar to drink in pre-match.

The winter has barely arrived and this is going to be an issue every fortnight unless something is done.
We need some sort of temporary cover and a few seats in the West Stand as soon as possible and other options considered before next season.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Charlie5football wrote:We are a league club. 1 intelligence 2. Surveillance. 3 Better stewarding 4. Better policing. It was correct to let the Crewe fans in if they had just been allowed to rampage into the North Stand it would have been mayhem, if the the police and stewarding had been more adequate it would not have happened.

Why is there this idea they would have rampaged into the North Stand? A few of them got in, that's all. Police and stewards failed miserably when they let them all in. Based on my experiences with Gloucestershire Constabulary it was par for the course.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 am

I imagine that a temporary roof would take a time to sort out due to "safety" regs. TBF there can be quite a gale at TNL, and it wont be easy to make a temporary roof structure thats secure against high winds.

Im disappointed that we treat away fans with no seating nor covering. What happened though was an obvious breach of regs- I fear that FGR could well be in trouble for failing to control fans. A possible solution would be to revert to half west stand for FGR fans, half for away and around 30% of the North stand for away seating. Fans dont sing so well when seated.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am

michael wrote:
treat people decently-and they will act decently-and if nothing else-peer pressure from their level headed supporters will reign in the more hot headed among them.

Yeah, in my experience this is often not the case though. I certainly didn't see any 'level headed' Crewe supporters trying to stop a minority getting onto the pitch during the game, or pulling back those who quite clearly wanted to cause some trouble in the car park after.

There are two issues here for me;

1) Morality or the right and wrong aside, FGR made a decision this season to put away fans on the West Terrace. Clearly some feel this is okay, others think the opposite. Personally, I think we should have put some cover in place.

2) BUT HAVING MADE THAT DECISION - you do NOT then move away fans into a home stand DURING a game. Regardless of the weather. It is naive and inviting trouble. And its not like it stopped the opposition fans getting wet - they already were.

A poor decision, by whoever made it. Very poor indeed. What will happen if it rains on Saturday and some of the Cheltenham fans decide they would like to stand under cover....? :evil:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 am

SkunkMan wrote:A poor decision, by whoever made it. Very poor indeed. What will happen if it rains on Saturday and some of the Cheltenham fans decide they would like to stand under cover....? :evil:

I would imagine that the club/police will be a lot more forceful from now on. Wont happen again.

Might even be worth having some riot police there on Saturday, just in case.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ninja Hamster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

NewForestRover wrote:The home fans have to come first and can't be expected to share the North Stand with away supporters or be forced to move to another area.
Not because of any danger involved because I really don't think there is. Home and away fans tolerate each other more often than not and I don't think there is any reason for anyone to feel threatened.

However, our fans bought season tickets in the North for a reason and for that reason, it's not fair to change arrangements mid-season.

On the other hand, away fans have to be treated how you would hope to be treated at away grounds. You expect good facilities, seats for those that need them and shelter from bad weather.
The last two away grounds I visited we also had a warm, comfortable bar to drink in pre-match.

The winter has barely arrived and this is going to be an issue every fortnight unless something is done.
We need some sort of temporary cover and a few seats in the West Stand as soon as possible and other options considered before next season.

Agree with some of your points but sorry we're you in the North stand watching them indicating they wanted to fight us or numerous other obscene gestures or comments? No, thought not.

Here we go, 'been going up for 27 years' and have only felt concerned on one other occasion.

Oh everyone is lovely we all get on so well. No alcohol filled idiot would ever get in someone else's face especially after spending 20 minutes swearing and getting wound up.
The problem with options is that other people have them
Ninja Hamster
Youth
Youth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:48 pm

When I go away non league and league at grounds with an open away end like Southport if it was bad and twice it was awful there they put us in the stand no extra charge as have other clubs we want to start remembering that before we saying like it or lump it. The planning for a number of things at Rovers has been poor this season and hopefully the club will look and learn the north stand decision was in my opinion was poor.
Football fans want to learn about tolerance and watch rugby union supporters we stand together, laugh, together ,drink ,together is it really that hard
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Agree with some of your points but sorry we're you in the North stand watching them indicating they wanted to fight us or numerous other obscene gestures or comments? No, thought not.

Here we go, 'been going up for 27 years' and have only felt concerned on one other occasion.

Oh everyone is lovely we all get on so well. No alcohol filled idiot would ever get in someone else's face especially after spending 20 minutes swearing and getting wound up.

well i was in north stand-and on the far side
threatened ?-not in a million years.

(and i'm an old git who can't run these days )

funny and pathetic-yes - but hardly threatening.

not exactly rampaging with guns and knives were they-and wait a minute-just in case-weren't there police present to 'protect us dear souls if it did get a bit serious

that given- do agree with you about the alcohol thing.
worst drug in the world alcohol-and maybe a few should not have been let in if alcohol fuelled .
Last edited by michael on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Watched this unfold from the other end so won't comment on the atmosphere in the North Stand on the day but see mentions that Crewe supporters have a bad reputation which is news to me. Did I miss something, genuinely thought it was other way round and like us known as mostly harmless.
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Ninja Hamster wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:The home fans have to come first and can't be expected to share the North Stand with away supporters or be forced to move to another area.

I wasn't there but posted my personal views.

I guess how you feel depends on football match experience. Fans that rarely travel away or have only ever been to home games are going to have different opinions to me.

Those that know me will have noticed that I proudly wear my colours for all to see whether I'm in London, travelling to NL or at away games. If I felt threatened I wouldn't do it.

The majority of fans do get on and those that are loud and verbally abusive? That's as far as it goes.

Maybe I think differently to you because of where I live and the fact that I only started following football again after many years when my daughter persuaded me to take her to our local club and I ended up buying season tickets for the next few years. When she got older she stopped supporting them and I moved on too.

It was Millwall.
If we play them in January cup tie, will I go to the match displaying my colours?
No. I won't.

But would I have felt in danger or threatened by the presence of a few rowdy Crewe fans at my club on Saturday surrounded by hundreds of home fans, stewards and police?
Definitely not.

Like I said, a lot of opinions are all down to experience.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe i should have a word with an acquaintance of mine at Crewe - Dario Gradi !!. He should know something about these so-called supporters.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Ninja Hamster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes all opinions and experience. Situation, people you are with, job you have, people you know, moral obligations you feel you have to protect others. Basically I'm not keen on being in a situation where I may need to defend myself and others when just watching football. Stewards kept saying there a was a real concern of a public order issue taking place, hence we might need to move. Code word, going to get messy so we moved.

Shall we leave it there? Intimidating yes, overly concerned for my safety or that of our group, no.

Just wanted to point out we are not all the same and see things differently. Perhaps I would have though it was more amusing stood elsewhere.

I'm sure I can run faster than Michael if anything did happen :shock: ;)
The problem with options is that other people have them
Ninja Hamster
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Apology accepted, onwards and upwards.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team