Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:16 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Tommo wrote:
20yrs and counting wrote:Just saw 10 mins of highlights on YouTube. We looked very leggy, nor sharp at all and very ponderous in defence again. Prob only a yellow for Manny would have been right, guess that’s a 3 game ban? Leaves it short of options in midfield. Hopefully Traore was removed just to conserve energy for Sat. Maybe this gives an opportunity for Stevens or Simpson over next few games. Chesterfield played good football and will finish comfortably top mid table. From 16th down is now very tight. Still need at least 4 experienced pros in Jan.

I think Stevens is also unfit and isnt Simpson on loan? We will be very short with Drissa, Manny and Osbourne out. I guess Wishart can play in midfield but I’d rather he replace Laird who seems to have lost form again. That, in any case, leaves us very thin and I guess Randall may come in to make up numbers.

Not good timing given we may need at least s point on Saturday to stay out of the relegation zone. We can’t afford a bad run right now.

From the highlights the defending from crosses still needs improvement and Bradley was at fault for the first two goals imo. Hopefully those who can play on Saturday will be back on top form.

Shame about Mannys sending off. It did look very harsh and three games out is a lot. I agree he is a centre back but having him in the team on Saturday would have been useful

Where have you heard that Ozzie and Triss are definitely out for Saturday's game??

Mark Cooper said they had knocks, but that was really all he said, he didn't specifically say they would be out for Sat, or have you heard differently?

I certainly hope they are not out for such a massive game!!

I took it they are out too; it's tough with just either one of them out, nevermind both. I'm now hoping it's going to hammer down relentlessly to cause a postponement.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:40 am

Keep calm and carry on.

I agree. Saturday boils down to who wants it more.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 am

Pity about the loss on tuesday night,but hardly a surprise.

its going to happen lots more times this season.
can FGR win more than they lose though to keep out of bottom 2.

I still think not-but hope i am wrong.
Nothing to do with losing at chesterfield-no problem with that-just the general ethos of playing the nice stuff and 'results will come'.

for me-its more a case of 'play the 'orrible stuff and the results may come '

Mr Cooper and many supporters applauding Chesterfield on being the best footballing side they have played. Thats nice for them
(perhaps FGR the second best?)

Therein lies the problem imo.
In case no -one had noticed-this so called' best footballing side ' are bottom of the league-and the second best-FGR not far above them .
just coincidence /bad luck after 19 games no doubt.

sorry for selfishly wanting to 'win things'-or minimally not lose things ,but until points are awarded for 'entertainment',i'll be an advocate of effective football-not entertaining football.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 am

Thankfully you are now in the minority in that view in this country Michael, as evidenced by the vast improvement in England youth at international level it appears we are finally getting out of the dark ages and starting to coach and produce technically proficient players. Win at all costs/up and at em nonsense is the reason England has constantly failed at international level.

Thankfully it appears that throughout football that attitude is changing, and all youngsters are being coached at being comfortable on the ball first and foremost, which has spread to the lower leagues. Hoof ball will soon be completely consigned to the dustbin at every club, and as a footballing nation we'll be better for it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am

Timb wrote:Keep calm and carry on.

I agree. Saturday boils down to who wants it more.

Both teams will be up for it. I think it is more likely to boil down to whether we can field a reasonable midfield. If Traore, Osbourne, Stevens and, of course, Monthe and Cooper are all out then who will be playing?

I am guessing that Roberts will have to come back in so that Collins can be pushed up. Then maybe Wishart will be pushed into midfield and the final midfield berth will be Bugeil, James or Randall in something closer to 5-4-1 formation than of late. Who knows. I just hope Traore and Osbourne are fit enough to start and be effective.

Maybe something like:

Collins
Bennett, Fitzwater, Roberts, Iacovitti, Laird
James, KMB, Collins, Brown
Doidge

Not much midfield tackling strength though. Collins would have to have a huge game. What are the alternatives - Bennett or Iacovitti in midfield maybe? Ugh; the Chesterfield game may have cost us more than 3 points - hoping not.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 am

A couple of knocks aren't likely to keep players out of a big game like this.

I would expect both Osbourne and Drissa to start, no worries.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:03 am

Again fingers crossed Drissa and Osbourne are in starting line up. But if they are only half fit maybe best to go with alternative line up. If so likely Roberts will fill back 3 role, Collins into midfield, also believe Wish and Omar could do job in centre mid. Also believe Cheltenham are struggling with injuries. Lets hope they are working on alternate shapes in training just in case.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 am

How anyone can say the bottom club are the best footballing side is laughable. The best footballing side is the team that wins, this isn't a beauty competition for goodness sake!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 pm

tommyd wrote:How anyone can say the bottom club are the best footballing side is laughable. The best footballing side is the team that wins, this isn't a beauty competition for goodness sake!

Chesterfield are a different animal under Lester. Beat Exeter on Saturday. They won't be near the bottom for long.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
tommyd wrote:How anyone can say the bottom club are the best footballing side is laughable. The best footballing side is the team that wins, this isn't a beauty competition for goodness sake!

Chesterfield are a different animal under Lester. Beat Exeter on Saturday. They won't be near the bottom for long.

Agreed. The form table (over the last 6 games) has them 6th (we are still 2nd) and rising.

However, the Predicted Final Table on the Football Pages Website still has both of us down as relegated: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... /predicted

We have to go on another unbeaten run to change this around.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Thankfully you are now in the minority in that view in this country Michael, as evidenced by the vast improvement in England youth at international level it appears we are finally getting out of the dark ages and starting to coach and produce technically proficient players. Win at all costs/up and at em nonsense is the reason England has constantly failed at international level.

Thankfully it appears that throughout football that attitude is changing, and all youngsters are being coached at being comfortable on the ball first and foremost, which has spread to the lower leagues. Hoof ball will soon be completely consigned to the dustbin at every club, and as a footballing nation we'll be better for it.

when they award points for entertainment ,and from players perspective-when they get paid for entertaining and not winning-maybe i'll agree with you.
until then-i'll just stick with my own thoughts that winning is what matters however achieved..
Effective football does it for me,and if that fails-just win or take a point at any cost,unless it involves murder .

as someone posts below- professional football is not a beauty competition ,and if chesterfield play such beautiful football-why are they bottom of the league ?

it always amuses me how the exponents of the 'beautiful game'amongst supporters ,change their position in the last ten minutes of a game-to if losing-'lump it upfield,or if winning-take it into the corner.
so if that is the recipe for success in the last ten minutes, why not do it for the full game-where is the consistency In the 'beautiful game exponents ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 pm

The key to any game is adapt accordingly , sometimes teams let you play sometimes they don’t , we have to work more on making teams wonder what we are up to instead of the usual and predictable passing game, not that I don’t like the way we want to play , as posted, it’s about 3 points and nothing less!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Playing attractive football or winning games is a false dichotomy. For better or worse (better from my point of view) we have in MC a manager who wants to win by playing what most people perceive as more attractive football than other styles. He recruits, trains and sets up his teams accordingly. Just look what happened when he lost the faith temporarily and tried to 'get it and whack it' around the time of the Lincoln game. That was horrible to watch and we still lost.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 pm

All everybody wants in each game is a win.That is the aim and goal - nothing else matters.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team