Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby tommyd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

This game came at a bad time for us, they've started to hit a bit of form and I guess we were due a defeat.
I'm really surprised we didn't make any changes after a tough game on Saturday that would have taken a lot out of the team. Makes Saturday all the more important now.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 am

Chas_T wrote:Manny a ‘work in progress’ ? Now I think that’s being overly generous. We are 19 games into the season after all. Whatever work Cooper is doing with him, he isn’t progressing.

I clearly remember the PSF at Shortwood: Cooper was singling out Manny that afternoon and constantly barking instructions at him from the dugout. The guy is not improving and I have yet to be impressed by anything he does.

Like I say: Cooper clearly has faith in him, but apart from his sheer ‘presence’, I can’t see much else.


I think he could be a good centre half at this level. He has size, power, is suprisingly quick and is still only 23. Yes he is raw, but most 23 year olds are.

What I don't like is Coops trying to turn him into Drissa Traore. He is NOT a central midfielder. Let the lad learn his trade in one position :roll:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
User avatar
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:41 pm
Location: South Glawstershire (b. Stroud)

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am

SkunkMan wrote:What I don't like is Coops trying to turn him into Drissa Traore. He is NOT a central midfielder. Let the lad learn his trade in one position :roll:


I would say more Yaya Toure then Drissa Traore tbf.

That's partly down t necessity though, currently with Charlie out we don't have any other more defensive minded midfield options. I also think that he actually played pretty well there when he came on last Saturday and helped turn the game.

Long term I'm sure he'll end up at cb though.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4712
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby doggy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 am

Saw MM tackle and from camera angle did'nt entirely look like a red, saw worse on Saturday, still that's the inconsistency of the poor old ref!!
User avatar
doggy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: glawstershire

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Greeners » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Bluey
cookiemonster wrote:
Ermm... at least one part of this page is racist. I suggest the mystery editor edits it back again.


Which part??????

Or am I being blueist?
User avatar
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby dursleydog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi Bluey
cookiemonster wrote:
Ermm... at least one part of this page is racist. I suggest the mystery editor edits it back again.


Which part??????

Or am I being blueist?


Not an expert, but it's very rare to see white players being described as "an animal" or "a rhinoceros" , even if they were probably intended in a positive way.
There's a definite narrative across our media where black players are praised for being physical but sometimes criticised for a "lack of intelligence", while white players are often picked up on for intelligent play. See the debate this summer over Morata and Lukaku. See how all the praise for Yaya Toure in his peak was based around his physicality and not that actually he was a brilliant technical player with a great reading of the game.
It's an unfortunate underlying narrative we can all be guilty of accidentally picking up, but it's worth calling out and trying to fix it.
User avatar
dursleydog
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: Kernow

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:24 pm

dursleydog wrote:
Greeners wrote:Hi Bluey
cookiemonster wrote:
Ermm... at least one part of this page is racist. I suggest the mystery editor edits it back again.


Which part??????

Or am I being blueist?


Not an expert, but it's very rare to see white players being described as "an animal" or "a rhinoceros" , even if they were probably intended in a positive way.
There's a definite narrative across our media where black players are praised for being physical but sometimes criticised for a "lack of intelligence", while white players are often picked up on for intelligent play. See the debate this summer over Morata and Lukaku. See how all the praise for Yaya Toure in his peak was based around his physicality and not that actually he was a brilliant technical player with a great reading of the game.
It's an unfortunate underlying narrative we can all be guilty of accidentally picking up, but it's worth calling out and trying to fix it.


I was thinking about the reference to a certain part of his anatomy.

But the page has now been edited back.
User avatar
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby doggy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

BBC state we only had 3 shots last night, that is really really poor, we have to up it against neighbours on Saturday or its gonna be a long afternoon!
User avatar
doggy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: glawstershire

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby 20yrs and counting » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Just saw 10 mins of highlights on YouTube. We looked very leggy, nor sharp at all and very ponderous in defence again. Prob only a yellow for Manny would have been right, guess that’s a 3 game ban? Leaves it short of options in midfield. Hopefully Traore was removed just to conserve energy for Sat. Maybe this gives an opportunity for Stevens or Simpson over next few games. Chesterfield played good football and will finish comfortably top mid table. From 16th down is now very tight. Still need at least 4 experienced pros in Jan.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

I am furious on Manny's behalf for that staggeringly inept decision. It happened a couple of yards from both benches and right in front of the main stand where I was.

Manny had been on for 3 minutes. He slightly mis-controlled a ball in midfield and went after it as the Chesterfield player moved towards it. The referee was some distance behind Manny who would have blocked his view of the Chesterfield player. Manny did not go 'studs in' and the Chesterfield Director closest to me said he thought he got to the ball first. It was a clumsy challenge at worst. A foul? Probably, but debatable. A yellow card? Possibly but harsh. A red card? Never. Did the referee consult the lino who was in a much better position to see? Of course not. In the whole game, fouls were rare events without a hint of a flashpoint, so what was in the ref's mind?

As if to illustrate FGR's approach to the game, his becomes the first automatic red card in 3 seasons or more. Only one red car last year - 2 yellows for Dale in the FA Trophy at Truro. Dale's red in another game was overturned

Anyone who knows Manny realises that it is not in his nature to commit dangerous fouls. He is the original gentle giant. He was stunned and understandably upset. I was livid and none of the Chesterfield Directors thought that a sending off was merited. The crowd in the stand were muted too, there was no baying for a sending off as usually happens. It was an inexplicably bad decision which had significant implications as we'd just substituted Manny & Dan for Drissa & Laird.

What of the team as a whole. Some have said FGR were all poor. That is not true. Sadly, in the first half, the defence was sloppy notably Laird, and Drissa was playing with fire by trying it on with his oppos in dangerous positions and getting caught in possession. By contrast, Ozzie was excellent, as was Dale Bennett. Reece Brown and KMB worked tirelessly but were well marshalled so Doidge was living off scraps. Bradley Collins had his best game in an FGR shirt. That we came back from 2-0 to take it to 3-2 with 10 men says much for their spirit, so heads should not drop once the immediate hurt of defeat is dealt with.

At the root of our defeat was something that has dogged us all season, and seen against Crewe too. We are conceding from uncontested headers in our 6 yard box and losing out when loose balls are being contested there. That I think is something that Lee Collins as club captain and defensive lynch pin has to deal with. Yet we are far better than 2 months ago, but have plenty to do to keep regular clean sheets
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3553
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:16 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
dursleydog wrote:
Greeners wrote:Hi Bluey
cookiemonster wrote:
Ermm... at least one part of this page is racist. I suggest the mystery editor edits it back again.


Which part??????

Or am I being blueist?


Not an expert, but it's very rare to see white players being described as "an animal" or "a rhinoceros" , even if they were probably intended in a positive way.
There's a definite narrative across our media where black players are praised for being physical but sometimes criticised for a "lack of intelligence", while white players are often picked up on for intelligent play. See the debate this summer over Morata and Lukaku. See how all the praise for Yaya Toure in his peak was based around his physicality and not that actually he was a brilliant technical player with a great reading of the game.
It's an unfortunate underlying narrative we can all be guilty of accidentally picking up, but it's worth calling out and trying to fix it.


I was thinking about the reference to a certain part of his anatomy.

But the page has now been edited back.


Yeah it had a similar comment to the chants some Man Utd fans have about Lukaku. That's the problem with Wikipedia, anyone can edit it.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4712
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:Just saw 10 mins of highlights on YouTube. We looked very leggy, nor sharp at all and very ponderous in defence again. Prob only a yellow for Manny would have been right, guess that’s a 3 game ban? Leaves it short of options in midfield. Hopefully Traore was removed just to conserve energy for Sat. Maybe this gives an opportunity for Stevens or Simpson over next few games. Chesterfield played good football and will finish comfortably top mid table. From 16th down is now very tight. Still need at least 4 experienced pros in Jan.


I think Stevens is also unfit and isnt Simpson on loan? We will be very short with Drissa, Manny and Osbourne out. I guess Wishart can play in midfield but I’d rather he replace Laird who seems to have lost form again. That, in any case, leaves us very thin and I guess Randall may come in to make up numbers.

Not good timing given we may need at least s point on Saturday to stay out of the relegation zone. We can’t afford a bad run right now.

From the highlights the defending from crosses still needs improvement and Bradley was at fault for the first two goals imo. Hopefully those who can play on Saturday will be back on top form.

Shame about Mannys sending off. It did look very harsh and three games out is a lot. I agree he is a centre back but having him in the team on Saturday would have been useful
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8891
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby stanman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Mark Cooper very critical of Manny's red card, as are others on the forum. But not enough grounds for an appeal though.... as yet?
There is no 'I' in team
User avatar
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Minchinhampton

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Just back home after my Derbyshire excursion !
We looked a shadow of the side that has ground out some excellent results in the last month or so. In truth Chesterfield played us at our own game and on the night were simply better at it then we were. The main difference was they pressurised us from the off - our back 3 in particular and our midfield with Drissa having no time at all on the ball.
Brown and KMB were the only ones who really looked comfortable on the ball with Ozzy putting in a good shift until he tired - he didn't have the legs to stop their winger for the decisive 3rd goal.
By then the damage was done after what resembled our early season defensive failures. Chesterfield scored 3 and could have had 6 or 7. Make no mistake 3-2 seriously flattered us.
Yes we only did have 3 or 4 efforts on goal but a real positive was that Doidge once again showed how to finish with 2 well taken goals and probably should have had 3 with an effort before he got off the mark.
Brad Collins made some excellent saves but once again there are question marks about how he allowed the free kick to curl across his 6 yard box for the first and beaten again at his near post for the second.
Not one of our better nights but I still enjoyed my first trip to the Proact Stadium. Our fans were in good voice without too much to cheer and in addition to the 90+ in Block 2 there were a number of us in other parts of the ground which would have pushed our total over the 100 mark. Not too shabby for a Tuesday night in November !!
Some work to do before Saturday as the bottom half of the table starts to compress. Win and we are a point behind Cheltenham. Lose and we could be bottom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All to play for .. COYR !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't agree that B. Collins was at great fault for the first. It was one of those delicious in-swinging deliveries across the face of goal where the keeper has to gamble on a touch by the attacker and then looks daft if the touch doesn't happen or is very faint.

I didn't have a good view of the second. The third he could do nothing about.

And some of the saves he made in the first half were top class, particularly the one with his left foot.
User avatar
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Tommo wrote:
20yrs and counting wrote:Just saw 10 mins of highlights on YouTube. We looked very leggy, nor sharp at all and very ponderous in defence again. Prob only a yellow for Manny would have been right, guess that’s a 3 game ban? Leaves it short of options in midfield. Hopefully Traore was removed just to conserve energy for Sat. Maybe this gives an opportunity for Stevens or Simpson over next few games. Chesterfield played good football and will finish comfortably top mid table. From 16th down is now very tight. Still need at least 4 experienced pros in Jan.


I think Stevens is also unfit and isnt Simpson on loan? We will be very short with Drissa, Manny and Osbourne out. I guess Wishart can play in midfield but I’d rather he replace Laird who seems to have lost form again. That, in any case, leaves us very thin and I guess Randall may come in to make up numbers.

Not good timing given we may need at least s point on Saturday to stay out of the relegation zone. We can’t afford a bad run right now.

From the highlights the defending from crosses still needs improvement and Bradley was at fault for the first two goals imo. Hopefully those who can play on Saturday will be back on top form.

Shame about Mannys sending off. It did look very harsh and three games out is a lot. I agree he is a centre back but having him in the team on Saturday would have been useful



Where have you heard that Ozzie and Triss are definitely out for Saturday's game??

Mark Cooper said they had knocks, but that was really all he said, he didn't specifically say they would be out for Sat, or have you heard differently?

I certainly hope they are not out for such a massive game!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby stanman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 pm

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield-fc/opposition-boss-pays-chesterfield-a-huge-compliment-after-they-beat-his-side-1-8870726

So might we appeal the red card? I must admit I'm not sure what the rules are for doing this, nor whether there are any time constraints.
There is no 'I' in team
User avatar
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Minchinhampton

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Just a stat from all the League 2 matches last night - there was the lowest attendance in any League 2 match this season.

Morecambe v Crewe Alexandra - just 927

We have been involved we the biggest attendance this season

Notts County v Forest Green Rovers - 13,267

Big difference.

LM
User avatar
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 6213
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Middleyard

Re: Match thread from The Proact Stadium (Chesterfield)

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:

Where have you heard that Ozzie and Triss are definitely out for Saturday's game??

Mark Cooper said they had knocks, but that was really all he said, he didn't specifically say they would be out for Sat, or have you heard differently?

I certainly hope they are not out for such a massive game!!


I got the impression from the interview on Facebook that they would both be out (and that MC was thinking about having to brush his own boots off). I agree that we need to hope that both are available since without Stevens as well, we are very light in midfield.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8891
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Home and away, lovejoy2 and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.