Cheltenham Saturday

All about our First Team

Re: Cheltenham Saturday

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm

This is exactly the team we need to beat to stay up.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Interesting how Johnson is playing the match up, whereas Cooper is doing the opposite.

This whole rivalry between Cheltenham and us is a lot of nothing. Anyone with historical context will remember the time we played Cheltenham the season they first earned promotion to the EFL. They had a lot of respect for us back then. Since then there have been a lot of newcomers watching at both clubs. They seem to be the ones buying into the hype.

Definitely more of an edge between the two club these days though, starting in the boardroom. :lol:
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm

There was rivalry in the cup game this season.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:23 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Interesting how Johnson is playing the match up, whereas Cooper is doing the opposite.

A striking similarity to another sporting event taking place on the other side of the Planet, where you can make a comparison with the pre-series comments made by Nathan Lyon and Joe Root. I much prefer the approach of Cooper and Root, they won't be the ones wiping massive amounts of egg off their respective faces if it goes wrong for their team.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#PutYourSticksOut
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 pm

This whole rivalry between Cheltenham and us is a lot of nothing. Anyone with historical context will remember the time we played Cheltenham the season they first earned promotion to the EFL. They had a lot of respect for us back then. Since then there have been a lot of newcomers watching at both clubs. They seem to be the ones buying into the hype.

A win would be enjoyable but I don't anticipate it. Our focus has to be on staying in League Two as we're nowhere near out of the woods yet.

There is now a very big rivalry, things change!

You are a bit of a Chektenham lover though, so not really best placed to feel it. 8-)
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Rivalries don't need to be as old as time. It's our biggest rivalry given we arent going to be playing Glos or Shortwood in a competitive game anytime soon.

Let's enjoy it.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:33 pm

camel wrote:Rivalries don't need to be as old as time. It's our biggest rivalry given we arent going to be playing Glos or Shortwood in a competitive game anytime soon.

Let's enjoy it.

Too right!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:

A win would be enjoyable but I don't anticipate it. Our focus has to be on staying in League Two as we're nowhere near out of the woods yet.

There is now a very big rivalry, things change!

You are a bit of a Chektenham lover though, so not really best placed to feel it. 8-)

If going to watch my hometown side from time to time makes me a 'lover', I have to question your view of the world. Plus you're a tiddler and don't have the same context. Don't see the point in getting wound up about a club we've never had any real history with. If you want to, fine. Only sides we have ever had any real rivalries with since the mid-80s are Gloucester and Hereford.

Longer term Cheltenham fans I've spoken to feel the same. Their traditional rival is Gloucester.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 am

Believe me there are a handful of Cheltenham fans that hate us with a passion. There could be a chance of some real trouble tomorrow.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 am

Its going to be a very tough game in front of a big, excited crowd. We are fighting with Cheltenham to be the best team in Gloucestershire. Most important, its an opportunity to get three points and to deprive a fellow relegation struggler of those points. A win will make the table look very good for us given our start. A loss and we will probably be back in the relegation zone on the back of two consecutive defeats. All this is stating the obvious but it makes it a huge game and passions will be running high.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 am

king giraffe III wrote:
This whole rivalry between Cheltenham and us is a lot of nothing.

Our focus has to be on staying in League Two as we're nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Agree 100%. Just another game, just another chance to take points. Focus on the GAME and not the opposition.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 am

I like Camels idea of a " Stand up for FGR " chant in the ground beforehand.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby redrobin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:22 pm

people talking about trouble on here nah !!!
been watching Town for many years and never seen any !
if people are looking for it they will find it , but its so seventies now it just makes you look the perps look stupid .
... now if it rains ....we,ll tear Nailsworth down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Postby timelapse 72 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Believe me there are a handful of Cheltenham fans that hate us with a passion. There could be a chance of some real trouble tomorrow.

Probably the same muppets who were charging around at the Checkatrade Cup match, totally OTT.
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 pm

redrobin wrote:people talking about trouble on here nah !!!
been watching Town for many years and never seen any !
if people are looking for it they will find it , but its so seventies now it just makes you look the perps look stupid .
... now if it rains ....we,ll tear Nailsworth down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't say that. OTC will take you seriously!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:35 pm

If Cheltenham fans come looking for trouble they will go home disappointed, Rovers don't have a firm...but we can muster an infirm!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#PutYourSticksOut
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Our crowd is no older than Cheltenham or most other league 2 sides as a group.

These days it would not surprise me if we have a younger demographic than Cheltenham.

Agree we do not have a firm though.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby RyRover » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 pm

I really hope we do them tomorrow. Nobody can tell me this game isn't a derby! Spurs and Arsenal are 4 miles apart. FGR and Cheltenham are about 15-18 miles apart. THIS IS AS LOCAL AS ITS GOING TO GET. Let's get at them and come off that pitch and away from the stands knowing we've given 110%

Come. On. You. Roverrssssss
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lawncider » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Never had the same intensity as a derby against Gloucester City. People seem to be creating something that historically never really existed. I suppose now the only one possible though.
Lawncider
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Its never been a derby really, bit like Chelsea v Brentford. Only because of its near location. Im not really bothered what Cheltenham do in the football world.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team