Postby redrobin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

oh come on ....your better than Brentford ! :lol:
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Cheltenham Saturday

Postby Tomiswalking » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Whilst there is rivalry, there are even more chelters fans slowly changing alliance as we speak.

They just can't get enough.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Roll on tomorrow.

We've played them a handful of times in the last 80 years.

Local yes.

Rivals no. We've played Brimscombe or Stonehouse more often and they were rivals. And of course there was Gloucester YMCA as well.

Just another game and another 3 points up for grabs.

As Phil Mitchell says it seems to mean a lot to them though.

Looking forward to it.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Equinox » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:06 am

Trouble ! Lol ! Firms ! Absolutely hilarious ! Enjoy the day and the game, should be cracking , all this talk of rivalry just adds to the entertainment, but draw the line at local rivalry causing trouble from a few plonkers, and that isn’t just aimed at Cheltenham fans, please for the love of god lets all except FGR will win with grace and dignity! If not let’s smash their heads in ! Lol . Only Joking !
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:23 am

Equinox wrote:Trouble ! Lol ! Firms ! Absolutely hilarious ! Enjoy the day and the game, should be cracking , all this talk of rivalry just adds to the entertainment, but draw the line at local rivalry causing trouble from a few plonkers, and that isn’t just aimed at Cheltenham fans, please for the love of god lets all except FGR will win with grace and dignity! If not let’s smash their heads in ! Lol . Only Joking !

:lol:
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:48 am

Foggy wrote:If Cheltenham fans come looking for trouble they will go home disappointed, Rovers don't have a firm...but we can muster an infirm!

Mmmmm
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 am

Foggy wrote:If Cheltenham fans come looking for trouble they will go home disappointed, Rovers don't have a firm...but we can muster an infirm!

I don't know about that, definitely a much younger crowd these days, especially in the South Stand.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but with a fair few Cheltenham fans apparently having tickets in the home ends this game needs good policing, no complacency, otherwise there is a fair chance they'll be some aggro. It shouldn't be anything too bad but it wouldn't shock me if both clubs lost their zero arrests record for the season.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 am

Is there something wrong with cheltenham supporters sitting next to FGR supporters ?

I was inder the impression that we are all equal members of the human race.

many of the same people who rightly talk about equality in many many fields-race/religion/sexuality; then go and advocate segregation at a leisure venue (football stadium)

is that marginally hypocritical and inconsistent ?

it may have taken 50 or more years to almost eradicate homophobia /smoking in public places ,and progress equal rights for all genders,,but the sooner you eradicate segregation the sooner it ceases to be an issue.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 am

Would be nice, and I'm sure the majority wouldn't have a major problem with it.

In the real world though the truth is if the game was unsegregated, there is a strong chance a minority of people would kick off somewhere in the ground. Which is why you can't afford to be complacent.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:02 am

I completely agree Kentstripe. Everyone likes to be passionate about there team especially about local derbies, but this is never an excuse for violence or some of the things that can happen at matches. It is always the actions of a tiny minority of brainless scumbags who need rooting out. I would turn them in in a heartbeat. Even if they were FGR supporters. Let's not go back to some of the madness of eighties. Also I am passionate about FGR but if I watch a game with any other Gloucestershire side playing someone else, I would support the local side. I have watched and enjoyed cup ties involving Cheltenham, Gloucester and even Cirencester.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Agree with much of the comment from Old Git and Kentstripe, we don't want any sort of return to the 70's or 80's, they weren't times when going to football was always a fun or safe thing to do. I suppose the best thing now is that we have cctv inside and outside the ground, anyone who does feel compelled to re-enact scenes from football factory will be easily identified and will probably find themselves restricted to watching football on the telly for quite a long time. Hopefully the game passes off safely and is remembered for what happens on the pitch, rather than anything less savoury.

Up the Rovers!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Greeners » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi
Old Git wrote: Let's not go back to some of the madness of eighties.

This was only 2 years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-fan.html
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 pm

I go to a lot of football and a lot of rugby matches and the atmosphere is completely different, when we go to Exeter rugby, the opposing fans sit next to each other,and get on, and yet we go to away Forest Green matches and there is an atmosphere between fans.An example of this was when we went to Eastleigh away last season, and throughout the game home fans were throwing things at us from the other side of the segregated stand, and when we asked the dividing security officials why?, their reply to me was "What objects?,". All they did was to look at us the away fans, and do nothing about the provocation.It seems as this is acceptable behaviour for soccer matches, an admition that this is what is normal. At Crawley this was again witnessed as in the main away area, a seated stand area, a number of young home fans were almost encouraged to goad and shout constant abuse at us away fans, many of whom were were clearly of an elderly disposition.Home security officials clearly did not want to know and i judged that they were not interested or indeed experienced in dealing with confrontations. It is such a shame as i know this puts off many families from attending soccer games.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm

I find the atmosphere at Rugby matches appalling myself, turgid, boring and quiet.

Give me the spice at a footy match any day. I mean the much better atmosphere you get at football, not fighting, however FGR does have a good family atmosphere as well as being a good atmosphere.

Rugby just stinks when it comes to crowd noise, I know this as I was taken to many Gloucester games with my ex-girlfriend. :cry:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:32 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:I find the atmosphere at Rugby matches appalling myself, turgid, boring and quiet.

Give me the spice at a footy match any day. I mean the much better atmosphere you get at football, not fighting, however FGR does have a good family atmosphere as well as being a good atmosphere.

Rugby just stinks when it comes to crowd noise, I know this as I was taken to many Gloucester games with my ex-girlfriend. :cry:

Whenever I've been to Glos I've sat amongst home and away fans and found most people don't seem to even be that bothered by the match. I think the last game the women in front were more interested in the cocktails they'd smuggled in and the players thighs. Give me football and the songs and chants anyday. I think that would be lost without segregation. Obviously I don't endorse the violence etc.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 pm

camel wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:I find the atmosphere at Rugby matches appalling myself, turgid, boring and quiet.

Whenever I've been to Glos I've sat amongst home and away fans and found most people don't seem to even be that bothered by the match. I think the last game the women in front were more interested in the cocktails they'd smuggled in and the players thighs. Give me football and the songs and chants anyday. I think that would be lost without segregation. Obviously I don't endorse the violence etc.

Well said mate, and Gloucester is supposed to be one of the loudest Rugby grounds!!!!

Don't even get me started on Bath rugby atmosphere!! Again a different ex-girlfriend dragging me along! :evil:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby HappEman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 pm

camel wrote:

Cocktails and player's thighs?..... Sounds like MY kind of sport.
HappEman
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Haha. :D
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team