Match thread from The New Lawn (Cheltenham Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Cheltenham Town)

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm sure everyone is looking at CD Gooseman, and one or two others. That's life. But CD is no Liam Noble.

And also we will be looking at one or two ourselves.

That's life.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm

It's probs been mentioned before, But as well as the rest i particularly enjoyed Osborne and Laird playing long passes in the first half, and traores back heal flick which marsh brown controlled in his stride. Magic!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:It's probs been mentioned before, But as well as the rest i particularly enjoyed Osborne and Laird playing long passes in the first half, and traores back heal flick which marsh brown controlled in his stride. Magic!

I'm a big fan of the freedom Marsh Brown and Brown seem to have. At times their little touches between them have been superb.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Timb wrote:I'm sure everyone is looking at CD Gooseman, and one or two others. That's life. But CD is no Liam Noble.

And also we will be looking at one or two ourselves.

That's life.

Liam Noble is a CD?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 pm

I was down at tooting market this morning buying some pepper sauces and came across an LP shop. Remember them?
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Wha'? Revolving black discs?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Towner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

Hopefully come your visit to Whaddon Road we'll be back to having a side, we are hugely struggling at the moment. Particularly with defenders and strikers. Everyone knows we should have won, we didn't, we gifted a goal away.

Onto the next one!

I've got to say we wont miss your place, 4 portaloos, pensioners having to perch on the side of a wall when seats are empty opposite, one food/drinks kiosk, yet the hot waster dispenser packs in, 1 turnstile open, as the other was broken, an awful bar, taking the best part of 30 minutes to get a drink. A stadium which does not make for a good atmosphere. Is this tactics by your owner?
Towner
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 am

Tomiswalking wrote:It's probs been mentioned before, But as well as the rest i particularly enjoyed Osborne and Laird playing long passes in the first half, and traores back heal flick which marsh brown controlled in his stride. Magic!

There were moments of real skill on display. The back heel from Traore was one and the looped ball forward from Laird to Doidge in the first half that Doidge couldn't quite control quickly enough were brilliant. Had the Doidge managed to control it and second goal gone in we might have knocked the stuffing out of Cheltenham and would have held on to win.

Like Camel, I like the freedom Brown and KMB have to create but we need a stronger midfield platform than we had in the second half in order to allow them to thrive without the ball constantly coming back at our back three. I also like that we have Bugeil to create an alternate set of problems for defences. I hope he gets enough minutes to keep him interested.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 am

Dont worry Charlie Cooper will be back soon ................ ;) Funny how he hasn't been mentioned on here during our purple patch !!!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

Towner wrote:Hopefully come your visit to Whaddon Road we'll be back to having a side, we are hugely struggling at the moment. Particularly with defenders and strikers. Everyone knows we should have won, we didn't, we gifted a goal away.

Onto the next one!

I've got to say we wont miss your place, 4 portaloos, pensioners having to perch on the side of a wall when seats are empty opposite, one food/drinks kiosk, yet the hot waster dispenser packs in, 1 turnstile open, as the other was broken, an awful bar, taking the best part of 30 minutes to get a drink. A stadium which does not make for a good atmosphere. Is this tactics by your owner?

Great isn't it.
I really hope you had a sh** day
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am

T50 BOS wrote:Dont worry Charlie Cooper will be back soon ................ ;) Funny how he hasn't been mentioned on here during our purple patch !!!

You seem to have forgotten he was a key player in our brilliant win at Coventry, until he was taken out late on. We could have really done with his tenacity on Saturday especially once Osbourne went off. Very good player.

Apparently back in training and might hopefully play a part next week. Be good to have him back.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 am

Yes Charlie will be welcome back as an extra set of legs in midfield. I just hope we don't unsettle the balance we have trying to play him Osbourne and Traore together. Brown and KMB with Doidge works when the Osbourne and Traore axis is on its game. Perhaps manage Charlie back by giving those two some minutes of rest to start with. At least we have some competition for places there. Further forward Stevens will soon be staking a claim for a starting berth too.

One thing I will say about Charlie is that he is always prominent in his attendance during his injury. Much like KMB when he was out of the squad. I always appreciate that as I'm sure they don't need to turn up, so therefore they must want to. Same is said of young Mehew.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:11 am

I must admit, I had wondered if the lack of CC was part of our more recent success, but I think it's more to do with Ozzy than anything else. Hopefully both will be back fit soon.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 am

Dad Mark was singing Charlie's praises after the game on Saturday. He is probably our hardest working and most enthusiastic player which hopefully rubs off on others. On the down side he will exchange a dozen or so 5 yard passes while the opposition get back behind the ball. He gives the ball away too often and rarely picks a pass where it matters in the final third. His delivery is poor. Whether his abscence is the reason for the teams recent improvement is probably harsh but may be part of the reason. What is absolutely certain is when fit he will be the first name on the team sheet irrespective of how others are playing.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am

I think Charlie's return might allow us to go back to a back 4, and mean we can have 5 in midfield again which is what we did at Notts County and Coventry and got us two of the best results of the season.

As we saw on Saturday controlling midfield is key and I think having three deeper lying cm's will help with that and allow KMB and Brown to support Doidge up front more quickly at times, which is what we need as all too often he's left somewhat isolated, especially on counter attacks.

Anyone who watches Charlie properly will see there is a lot more to his game then just sideways passing, it's just quite a few are blinkered and have already made their minds up because of who he is.
Personally I think he'll be a key player for us for the rest of the season.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 am

Yes he did well at Coventry until his injury but let's not forget that he was first pick in CM during a spell when we lost 9 games and we had no bite or creativity against some fairly average opposition.
Do agree with the point about going back to a Back 4 ..... then whoever we play across the middle it does give us a better balance of ball winners and ball players and should allow better support for CD.
That said the better teams we've played this season all go with 2 up front and although CD is in a rich vein of form I don't see many goals coming from our supporting midfielders.
See if we can grind out a few points during December and see what January brings in the transfer market.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Towner wrote:Hopefully come your visit to Whaddon Road we'll be back to having a side, we are hugely struggling at the moment. Particularly with defenders and strikers. Everyone knows we should have won, we didn't, we gifted a goal away.

Onto the next one!

FGR were short one or two players too and certainly our key central midfielders were carrying knocks (one went off at HT) so hopefully both clubs will have fully fit squads for the 'return leg'.

I think many of the home fans feel that FGR should put in some seats and a roof if away fans are to be given the Wet (West) Terrace only. Others think that anything that distracts the away fans from being vocal is good, but what goes around comes around - and do FGR fans like it when they go away to grounds with open air standing only?

There is a section of home fans that used to prefer the Wet Terrace - and as we don't fill the North and South stands, logic (to me, anyway) suggests we would be better off giving the away fans one end and a bit of the Wet Terrace, letting the home fans who want to stand on the Wet Terrace do so, segregated by a good distance of course. But what do I do know, eh? :? No doubt someone will cite costs, lack of stewards, etc.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Report in the Guardian today on the game:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... hire-derby

I'm looking forward to Charlie Cooper coming back to provide cover for Traore and Osbourne but, for me, Traore and Osbourne represent our best options in central midfield. I'm enjoying our current set up with Bennett and Wishart/Laird getting forward down the flanks. Collins does a good job of marshalling the defence imo. So I wouldn't want CC to waltz in and disrupt things. Rather I see him slotting in when Traore or Osbourne tire.

He will get his chance of a start soon enough - maybe the Checkatrade versus West Ham (or Swindon) will come too soon but if we get to the next round then maybe then. And Traore will need a rest sometime soon.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm

It went pretty well with Traore, cooper and osbourne as a midfield triumverate thought didn't it.

I can't wait for CC to get back-very very underrated -compliments perfectly the other two.

i have to say-i would much rather have a strong midfield with CC there, in place of reece Brown-who really does need to step up his game considerably imo.

Anyone who watches Charlie properly will see there is a lot more to his game then just sideways passing, it's just quite a few are blinkered and have already made their minds up because of who he is.
Personally I think he'll be a key player for us for the rest of the season.

-agree with kent stripe here.
in particular 'watch the game properly'
-too many people doing this silly singing thing imo ,and not concentrating on whats happening 360 degrees on the football field

agree with playing players in their best positions-keep Collins in defence-therwise if in midfield-you weaken two positions-you miss him in defence-and he isn't a great midfield player.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Why would my view be based on who he is. I was a big fan of dad Mark as a player and an even bigger fan of Grampy Terry. Using your logic I would think he is the dogs ****?? My view is just my opinion based on the games I have seen him play. My dream midfielder will run all day, has real pace, great skill, can open up defences with pin point passes, tackles back and weighs in with a few goals. Unfortunately most of those play for Premiership sides. I have probably only watched Charlie play a dozen or so times and while he clearly has a good engine and plenty of enthusiasm and accepting he is still young I just hav'nt seen whatever it is his dad sees in him. For the teams sake I hope I am completely wrong and in a couple of years Man City come in with a 10 mill bid!
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team