Match thread from The New Lawn (Cheltenham Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Cheltenham Town)

Postby Timb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 pm

You can't blame charlie for the first nine games T50, Liam Noble was playing his way out of the club.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
T50 BOS wrote:Dont worry Charlie Cooper will be back soon ................ ;) Funny how he hasn't been mentioned on here during our purple patch !!!

You seem to have forgotten he was a key player in our brilliant win at Coventry, until he was taken out late on. We could have really done with his tenacity on Saturday especially once Osbourne went off. Very good player.

Apparently back in training and might hopefully play a part next week. Be good to have him back.

He's not anywhere near the same class as Osbourne or Traore. Constantly gives the ball away, bad distribution unless it's a five yard sideways pass. Often wreckless with challenges and needs acting lessons. A National League squad player at best; not League Two standard I'm afraid. Maybe that will change, but when you're scrapping around at the bottom, he's like Mullings - someone who adds nothing and would be better off shipped out to a National League club to prove himself there.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 pm

I think that you'll be proved spectacularly wrong LG. Not for the first time either.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Kentstripe wrote:I think that you'll be proved spectacularly wrong LG. Not for the first time either.

He is never wrong...........

Honestly.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby chrism » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:57 pm

And we haven't been passing sideways and backwards without CC. Can't blame CC for everything and cant say I noticed a significant change in passing tactics until Saturday.
Thought the passing in the first half was much quicker and incisive than usual and creating some good goal scoring opportunities, but unfortunately was limited after IO went off.
chrism
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Timb wrote:You can't blame charlie for the first nine games T50, Liam Noble was playing his way out of the club.

I agree, I'm quite excited to see how Charlie will fit back in to the new, more stable, team.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Completely agree about Noble .... he was awful .... so bad in fact I'd already erased him from my thought process about our midfield. His presence certainly didn't help Charlie's cause. That said for me he still is a world away from Drissa and Ozzy. Can he play effectively with those two whilst freeing up KMB and Reece ............ guess we will find out very soon because as soon as he's match fit he will be starting of that there is no doubt.
If we are going back to 5 across the middle I think we should also look at more game time for Stevens - he was so impressive against Swansea. You could tell he was one of Scotty's ..... every pass was forward. Still I'm sure that will change lol !!!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:34 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Completely agree about Noble .... he was awful .... so bad in fact I'd already erased him from my thought process about our midfield. His presence certainly didn't help Charlie's cause. That said for me he still is a world away from Drissa and Ozzy. Can he play effectively with those two whilst freeing up KMB and Reece ............ guess we will find out very soon because as soon as he's match fit he will be starting of that there is no doubt.
If we are going back to 5 across the middle I think we should also look at more game time for Stevens - he was so impressive against Swansea. You could tell he was one of Scotty's ..... every pass was forward. Still I'm sure that will change lol !!!

Yup agree Charlie is not traore or Osbourne they are quite different, but they are also very different from each other too. It would have been good to have Charlie as an option on Saturday to replace Osbourne. Our midfield is small in number and I hope Charlie is on the mend and I know he will be keen to get stuck back in.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby mauler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 am

The cup game comes at a good time as we were able to get on a run on the back of the last one.

CC is a welcome returning asset to have. I have been impressed by Brown's bravery and trickery but where we get no time on the ball he struggles a bit more.

Impressed by south stand keeping their song going all second half - proper job!
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 pm

To compare Ozzy to Cooper does not make any sense. Ozzy is the lynch pin, the dominant central midfielder we've sought for a while and valuable in defence (where we lack aerial dominance). The others all bring different skills which compliment the way the team plays but Liam is not missed (which tells a sad story maybe?)

The criticisms of Charlie Cooper are unfair and out of date. Charlie is box to box, increasingly good as a tackler and retriever and becoming more powerful - as you would expect as a maturing 20 year old. He gets up to head the ball now which he did not last term. And his distribution is pretty good, notably the passes inside defence to either wing. He is a player who gets better with every game and in the 95th minute, goes as hard as the 1st

Drissa can often be the spark. Like KMB his opponents do not know which way he'll go because he can turn and dart off either foot. But I'd like him to cut out the dives whenever someone touches him and the risky stuff in front of our own box. When he's good, he's a player to marvel at but in the last 2 to 3 games he's blown hot and cold. And the mystery of the 60 minute cameos remains

Reece Brown looked lost early season. A youth amongst adults. He has learned fast and like those around him has benefited from Ozzy's presence. He and KMB seem to have a good understanding too and can swap sides and exchange deft passes that leave their opponents dazed.

KMB has really matured though it is noticeable that he is often double and treble marked - this League works hard to stop him getting sight of goal. But he still carries the ball well and plays in his colleagues. Great to have him properly back in the fold

So the player who is missed the least is Liam and his role is directly comparable to Ozzy. And when Charlie is fit, I think he and Drissa may be competing for position
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Very wise words CG11.

I have noticed since KMBs blistering return to the team how much teams close him down. That nullifies him to a degree but the challenge to the rest of the team is to get a bit nearer to him and make some more movement as if he can draw 3 players to him there is an inevitable space to be exploited. I'm not sure we have quite mastered that yet, although there have been glimours.

When it has worked it's been great. A couple of times I've hoped Brown would have a shot when it's given him an opening. I marvel at his dead ball skills and therefore expect somewhere in the locker is an equal ability to curl one in to the top corner in open play. If he can start to do that then the front three of Doidge, Brown and KMB will be quite a force. The defence will want to close them all down and inevitably they will leave one of them with room.

It must be said that in their time at the club MC and SL and the rest of the coaching staff have done a very good job at improving players as individuals. That is good for the team and for our bank balance going forward and gives us a semi credible financial model.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Kentstripe wrote:I think that you'll be proved spectacularly wrong LG. Not for the first time either.

There is more chance of us being promoted this season as champions.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote: And when Charlie is fit, I think he and Drissa may be competing for position

If Traore gets dropped in favour of CC there really can only be one explanation.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Yawn. Yet more negativity and cynism from LG. Why not just be pleased that anther high quality young player will soon be available for selection again soon, rather then making snide uneducated remarks, in what is probably another attemt at stirring, as usual. Have there not been enough defeats for your liking in recent weeks?

Probably still gutted your lot couldn't beat us on Saturday eh?
Last edited by Kentstripe on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Do the blinkers chaff after prolonged use KG?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Timb wrote:You can't blame charlie for the first nine games T50, Liam Noble was playing his way out of the club.

Good point.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Lots of wise words here. I too have noticed that since his return marsh brown now gets the three players on him immediately, the kind of defence that previously in the season was reserved for doidge. This frees up doidge both in attack and allows him to get back and defend. Exciting times.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Tommo wrote:

Good point.

And to be fair to Liam I'm pretty sure he told us to blame him and not Charlie for the poor results.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 am

Cooper's an ok backup. Nothing more.
If he plays ahead of Drissa regularly then the team will be worse, simple as that.
Could prove to be a very good player in the future but no more than a bench player right now
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am

Chrisgump11 wrote:Do the blinkers chaff after prolonged use KG?

Clearly mine are a cheaper model than yours.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team