November or January?

All about our First Team

November or January?

Postby doggy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Thought this month was going to be our most important month of the season as all games on paper looked pretty winnable, not to be, but, when you consider our position 6 weeks ago, where we are now. And improved form by teams, Chesterfield for example I guess we can be fairly happy with league position, but with injury woes , Mannys ban and some players form looking inconsistent I think January will be our most important month now, not because of the games we have but because it will test MC and others in who we can bring in, because we , IMO need a good few signings/loans if we want to survive, for whatever reason we look a tad threadbare.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Re: November or January?

Postby The Cumbrian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 am

Definitely agree. We have got several inconsistent first choicers and no back up. There are 3 or 4 key players that we cannot afford to loose.

The forward loanees have been as much use as liquorice boot laces and the likes of Omar and Luke James work hard but don't really cut it at this level. Minimum we need proven first team ready midfield ball winner, no nonsense central defender and striker plus Jordan Stephens to come through.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 am

I think that MC will bring in a couple of players if he can but its hard to do so without upsetting the current team spirit. Doidge will want to play every game and won't want to be rotated in and out with another top striker but will another striker want to sit on the bench and wait for Doidge to get suspended or injured - I don't think so. We have James and Bugeil who seem to be willing to come on for cameos. Mullings seems to have dropped out of contention so maybe we could get a replacement for him - a young player willing to wait on the bench - but otherwise I'm not sure what we can do up front.

Defensive midfield does seem overworked so I hope we can get someone new in there. That would allow Traore to get the rests he still seems to need and leave us less reliant on Osbourne. Hopefully, as you say, Stevens can break through but he would be an attacking midfielder

The other area I worry about is right (wing) back where Bennett has been solid. Randall may be able to cover but I'm not sure.

We have Collins, Iacovitti, Fitzwater and Roberts in the centre of defence. If we had cover for Bennett then he could also fit in there to make up our back central 3.

So, in summary I hope MC is looking for a defensive midfielder and possibly cover for Bennett.

Meanwhile, we have to continue to pick up an average of a point a game to stay in touch with the fellow strugglers.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Priority for me has to be a cb to help shore things up at the back and midfield cover. If Collins or Osbourne went down long term we'd be toast.
Maybe an attacking player who can play both upfront as cover for Doidge and off a main striker to interchange with Brown and KMB might be useful. Kind of like Luke James but actually effective :roll:
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby nwrover » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Randall
Gomez
James
Mullings

All not good enough at this level to support Doidge

Can we find someone?
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Was really impressed with Gomes away at Port Vale but not seen much of him since then. Be good to give him a start in the cup on Saturday maybe??
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 am

nwrover wrote:Randall
Gomez
James
Mullings

All not good enough at this level to support Doidge

Can we find someone?

You may be right but none of them have been given a run of games to get into a rhythm or to build a relationship with Doidge. Most players need games to build confidence and strikers, especially, need match sharpness. We are seeing much better performance from KMB and Brown now they have a series of games under their belts.

I expect Gomes or James to get a run out today versus Exeter. Maybe Randall in too to give Bennett a rest.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:52 pm

After news today of red cards and more injuries DV has to get the cheque book out now!! Please? January definitely an immense pivotal part of season re signings!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:07 pm

dursleydog wrote:Priority for me has to be a cb to help shore things up at the back and midfield cover. If Collins or Osbourne went down long term we'd be toast.
Maybe an attacking player who can play both upfront as cover for Doidge and off a main striker to interchange with Brown and KMB might be useful. Kind of like Luke James but actually effective :roll:

This Grubb chap, already signed, could be the one d/d?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 pm

We've got one coming in already, and will soon have Osbourne, Traore, KMB, Bennett, Monthe and Fitzwater back.

No need to panic whatsoever.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:08 am

I think we'll soon see how serious dale is about staying in the league that's for sure. at the same time though cooper is responsible for the signings and hasn't got enough right so far although to be fair the ones he gets right are very good.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 am

tommyd wrote:I think we'll soon see how serious dale is about staying in the league that's for sure. at the same time though cooper is responsible for the signings and hasn't got enough right so far although to be fair the ones he gets right are very good.

No manager gets all their signings right. MC has a policy of signing young developing players and that bears more risk (but less cost) than going for older tried and tested players.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Spot on Tommo. Yesterday we only had 3 players in the starting line up who were with us last year. It is a very new team. Some signings have been successful, others less so. I expect MC to bring in some new signings in January and have a clear-out. I still think MC knows enough to build a team that will stay up.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Kentstripe wrote:We've got one coming in already, and will soon have Osbourne, Traore, KMB, Bennett, Monthe and Fitzwater back.

No need to panic whatsoever.

Who is having a panic?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Might there be mileage in recalling Robert?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team