Great atmosphere yesterday!

All about our First Team

Re: Great atmosphere yesterday!

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm

4 portaloos and they are complaining? some people don't know they are born. Rich city folk with their seats and fancy indoor toilets. :lol:

Sounds like the club are working on it. I wouldn't be opposed to splitting north stand, but we would have to look after existing season ticket holders who currently stand there first.

Crewe got wet and Cheltenham got cold, maybe in the mean time we should warn them to dress appropriately. :lol:
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Maybe OTC could mention it to them on their forum
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Towner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
RyRover wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:Towner, the club is working to extend the 'wet' terrace, install seats and erect a cover. EFL are aware and approving. Unfortunately, it is all taking longer than planned. As to the catering and other arrangements, previous teams who have bought their entire allocations of tickets - Exeter for one - have been pretty complimentary.

We know we have work to do, but this is our Year 1 in the EFL. What is your excuse? The CTFC Grandstand should have been demolished in the last millennium. It is an awful throwback to a bygone era and if you have ever sat in the stand, there is nowhere for your legs - impossible to evacuate quickly in an emergency. Likewise the turnstiles around the ground are designed to exclude people with a waist line of more than 34 inches and the paddock .... The phrase that comes to mind is people in glass houses should not throw stones

So, yes we need to make improvements, and yes it would have been better if they had been done by now. Then again, we'll be in a new state of the art stadium in about 3 years time so 'good money after bad' comes into things.

When will your Directors be investing in better facilities for its customers? And remind me how many hospitality boxes or bars or eateries have views over the pitch at WR. Or corridors that are wide enough to accommodate wheelchair users or lifts that take them to their seats. The facilities for most at TNL are superior to their equivalents at WR and will be light years better in a few years.

Spot on. WR is one of the worst grounds in the EFL

Oh no, you will start off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee AKA Lughing Girraffe and Towner who will be most upset, and will start slagging off FGR to the hilt.

I agree with you though Cheltenham's ground is not great, and the atmosphere the 4 other times I have visited is atrocious. Far worse than FGR.

Brilliant, now that is gold. Far worse than FGR? You just played your biggest game of the season, without looking back at the attendance approximately 2600 home supporters attended yet only about 20 behind one goal made any attempt of an atmosphere.

Yes WR isn't the best L2 ground, but it is a lot better than TNL and that is a fact.
Towner
Youth
Youth

Postby mauler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

you will be well jell when we get our new stadium then!
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Towner wrote:You just played your biggest game of the season, without looking back at the attendance approximately 2600 home supporters attended yet only about 20 behind one goal made any attempt of an atmosphere.

Our 'biggest game of the season'? :lol: What is it with you Cheltenham fans, you really do seem to have a high opinion of your club and how others view it, don't you? :roll:

I will give you that it was our 'best attended home game of the season so far' but 'biggest'? Nah, the likes of Coventry and Notts County are way bigger games IMHO. And I don't say that just to be antagonistic, its just the truth.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Had a look on Robins Nest, they like a bloody good moan about us don't they?

This post in particular is very ott. Farmed cattle? Cholera? Concentation camp? Lol.

This is a warning to all visiting fans of any football club visiting Forest Green Rovers:
To begin, I shall not ever attend another game at The New Lawn. The treatment of our fans was appalling and one wonders whether this was some bizarre attempt to highlight what farmed cattle must feel like and therefore the whole sorry saga perhaps provided some form of perverted kick to a particular individual?

The 4 portable latrines were totally inadequate for almost 1,000 visiting fans. There was no running water and extremely limited supplies of hand cleansing gel which must have run out before the fans were permitted entry to the ground. The owners of FGR need to be warned that if they do not clean up their filthy act they run the risk of creating an outbreak of cholera, typhoid, infectious hepatitis, polio, cryptosporidiosis, and ascariasis.

The makeshift opening that had been created as a serving hatch under one stand was full of rubbish at either end and was clearly another serious health hazard. There was no hot water for warm drinks and I gather that a small tin boiler had given up the ghost before it had even served a single customer. There were no tables or chairs for people to eat the meagre selection of food, and eating al fresco on a bitterly cold day at the end of November is only recommended for seasoned polar explorers.

Malabus highlighted in another thread, that one small gateway used as an exit point to leave the ground was dangerous in the extreme had some form of rapid exit been required, particularly as young fans and some elderly fans were in attendance, therefore any stampede to get out would have resulted in people being trampled and crushed.

The grotty little Attwoolls tent over the makeshift hatch was the only available cover for away fans and would have held a maximum of about 70 people. It was jolly fortunate that it did not rain, just a few spots in the wind, because had there been a deluge there could well have been a riot by very disgruntled fans. The conditions looked as hideous as those in a concentration camp. This is no way to treat visiting fans and FGR need to be very aware that there will be large numbers of fans from a few other clubs as the winter progresses who will not put up with such appalling treatment. Cheltenham Town FC should make an official complaint about the conditions away fans have to endure at FGR, to The Football League. It is disgraceful.

Tbf one thing the club definitely need to look at imo is how there is apparently only one smallish exit tn the west terrace which for a crowd of over 900 could be an issue in the event of an emergency.

The rest will be sorted out over a longer period I gather but reading some of their stuff would make you think they're a bunch of pampered prawn sandwich brigade Premier League fans who demand 5 star luxery and have never had to go to a lower league ground before.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 pm

In an emergency isn't there several gates along the front of the terrace where they would enter the pitch and be directed to another exit?

Seems a bit OTT. I've been to some dives and not once have I come away thinking I wouldn't go back because the toilets were a bit dirty. I was more interested in the football to be honest. I get the situation isn't ideal, but boy do some people like a moan.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby timelapse 72 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 pm

This is a warning to all visiting fans of any football club visiting Forest Green Rovers:
To begin, I shall not ever attend another game at The New Lawn. The treatment of our fans was appalling and one wonders whether this was some bizarre attempt to highlight what farmed cattle must feel like and therefore the whole sorry saga perhaps provided some form of perverted kick to a particular individual?

The 4 portable latrines were totally inadequate for almost 1,000 visiting fans. There was no running water and extremely limited supplies of hand cleansing gel which must have run out before the fans were permitted entry to the ground. The owners of FGR need to be warned that if they do not clean up their filthy act they run the risk of creating an outbreak of cholera, typhoid, infectious hepatitis, polio, cryptosporidiosis, and ascariasis.

The makeshift opening that had been created as a serving hatch under one stand was full of rubbish at either end and was clearly another serious health hazard. There was no hot water for warm drinks and I gather that a small tin boiler had given up the ghost before it had even served a single customer. There were no tables or chairs for people to eat the meagre selection of food, and eating al fresco on a bitterly cold day at the end of November is only recommended for seasoned polar explorers.

Malabus highlighted in another thread, that one small gateway used as an exit point to leave the ground was dangerous in the extreme had some form of rapid exit been required, particularly as young fans and some elderly fans were in attendance, therefore any stampede to get out would have resulted in people being trampled and crushed.

The grotty little Attwoolls tent over the makeshift hatch was the only available cover for away fans and would have held a maximum of about 70 people. It was jolly fortunate that it did not rain, just a few spots in the wind, because had there been a deluge there could well have been a riot by very disgruntled fans. The conditions looked as hideous as those in a concentration camp. This is no way to treat visiting fans and FGR need to be very aware that there will be large numbers of fans from a few other clubs as the winter progresses who will not put up with such appalling treatment. Cheltenham Town FC should make an official complaint about the conditions away fans have to endure at FGR, to The Football League. It is disgraceful.

Total, utter, overblown tripe.
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:57 pm

There are emergency exit gates at regular intervals all along the rear of the West terrace for use in emergencies which exit onto the rear external perimeter walkway.

From there you can exit either south behind the player changing block into the south car park, or North around the outside of the North stand to the car park.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:08 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
RyRover wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:Towner, the club is working to extend the 'wet' terrace, install seats and erect a cover. EFL are aware and approving. Unfortunately, it is all taking longer than planned. As to the catering and other arrangements, previous teams who have bought their entire allocations of tickets - Exeter for one - have been pretty complimentary.

We know we have work to do, but this is our Year 1 in the EFL. What is your excuse? The CTFC Grandstand should have been demolished in the last millennium. It is an awful throwback to a bygone era and if you have ever sat in the stand, there is nowhere for your legs - impossible to evacuate quickly in an emergency. Likewise the turnstiles around the ground are designed to exclude people with a waist line of more than 34 inches and the paddock .... The phrase that comes to mind is people in glass houses should not throw stones

So, yes we need to make improvements, and yes it would have been better if they had been done by now. Then again, we'll be in a new state of the art stadium in about 3 years time so 'good money after bad' comes into things.

When will your Directors be investing in better facilities for its customers? And remind me how many hospitality boxes or bars or eateries have views over the pitch at WR. Or corridors that are wide enough to accommodate wheelchair users or lifts that take them to their seats. The facilities for most at TNL are superior to their equivalents at WR and will be light years better in a few years.

Spot on. WR is one of the worst grounds in the EFL

Oh no, you will start off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee AKA Lughing Girraffe and Towner who will be most upset, and will start slagging off FGR to the hilt.

I agree with you though Cheltenham's ground is not great, and the atmosphere the 4 other times I have visited is atrocious. Far worse than FGR.

Nothing to be upset about. Your obsession with me is becoming an embarrassment.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:24 pm

"Yes WR isn't the best L2 ground, but it is a lot better than TNL and that is a fact". No it isn't Towner, it's an opinion. Big difference

WR has 2 modern sides, both seated stands. Just fine though the away end has just one food outlet which is typical of many grounds including TNL. Then you have the 'home' shed and the Grandstand & paddock which simply is not up to modern standards regarding wheelchair access, hospitality, facilities and so on. 20 or so years in the EFL is surely enough time for a Town club to sort this out if there is the will and an appreciation of the customer

As a hamlet Club, FGR built TNL many year's before Dale Vince's arrival. Clever dealing and resourcing too with the South & North Stands being dismantled at the Old Lawn and re-erected. The 'Wet' Terrace was the least resourced side reflecting our then average gates nudging 1,000.

WR has nothing approaching the East Stand - 4 levels, all wide corridors with level access and a lift that serves every level. Reception, gymnasium, pub, offices and multi-hospitality rooms and bars all with panoramic views of the pitch including the Carole Embrey that can provide 200 covers, 1800 or so seats and a platform for wheelchair users. Perhaps you should buy it for WR when we move, then again it is a significant investment and that might worry your Directors?

As I said, we've plenty to work on at TNL even with an imminent move. But every year has brought improvements and that will continue

Most new stadia bring an increase in attendance and the opportunity to maximise income from facilities - like the hospitality boxes WR lacks. It did when we built TNL despite little difference as regards the team budget.

A agree about 'empty barns'. A stadium like Colchester's is superb albeit maybe too far from the town. But 3,000 or so in a 10,000 seater stadium is echoey. FGR's case is different though. Dale and the majority of supporters recognise that there are 2 big problems facing TNL. The first is the tortuous access the second the distance from a sustainable centre of population.

Forest Green, Nailsworth and surrounds muster around 4,800 souls of which a few hundred attend matches. Most support derives from Stroud, Stonehouse, Cam/Dursley and South Gloucester. This is the football bubble in the wonky ball county. Home support is now around 2,300 before you add away fans and most travel significant distance by car - which adds to the congestion. It's a success story but being more easily accessible by transport and closer to the bigger towns is logical. Stroud, Gloucester and South Glos are all looking to expand around the A38 and Severn plain and the opportunity is obvious. Junction 13 is key for us I think as the Bristol Clubs concentrate on the burgeoning City of Bristol. The new stadium proposal seeks to build an infrastructure for 10,000 but equipped for 5,000 or so initially.

WR is slap bang in wonky ball heartland. I remember being in 3,000 crowds at WR in your promotion season in the Conference. But your club has not grown its support base, in fact, the opposite. Sure, for the once in a blue moon game you can pull in 5,000+ but most of the time you struggle to 3,000 or less. This year you are averaging 300 more than FGR, a hamlet - the gap used to be 2 - 3000.

Even at Wembley our ceiling support is now about 3,500, less in the League - about 2,600 - 2,800, another reason why we need to be more accessible. And we will need to show progress on the pitch to sustain and build on that. But FGR works incredibly hard at building relationships with kids, students and their elders and companies/sponsors which is where our rise in support has boomed and will continue to do so

Your task then is to fight for support from the rugby set and you won't achieve that with out of date facilities. Redevelopment of the Grandstand side is 20 years overdue. At this rate, we'll have built 2 new grounds before you get that sorted - and in a town as opulent as Cheltenham that is inexcusable.

So rather than pick holes in FGR, maybe The Robins need to address their decline over 20 years and whether it can sustain an EFL Club at all in a Rugby town? If we stay up this year, we'll leave you for dead next (in my humble opinion). Sorry
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Last edited by FGR-Ledge on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

]Bang on ChrisG.

The Stroud area is a football oasis in a Rugby county.

We are a club that is in a football area though, Cheltenham is not. Our crowds are steadily climbing at an impressive rate, Cheltenham's are not, they are dropping.

They average a handful more than us, they are a town of 120,000 for goodness sake!!! Who is the better supported club when you properly weigh up these factors? FGR are much better supported.

Cheltenham supporters know this, hence their moaning and belittling of us, they are concerned about us, and they have every right to be concerned as we can easily become the biggest club in Glos.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Theoperator » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 am

@Chrisgump- was the traffic really that bad on Sat? TBF I really didnt notice it- managed to park where I usually do, 5 mins and into the stadium. There seemed to be plenty of Park and ride buses, pleased to see. Surely thats the answer to the terrible transport problems. Try going to any Championship or premier league ground. You just have to accept that managing large numbers of people at a spectator sport isnt easy, and thankfully it only happens fro the neighbours around TNL 30 times a season. Some teams do offer locals a slight discount on tickets to keep a few onside.

You do keep spouting this mantra of the move. The catchment area is rather tortuous, we may gain some but we will definately loose many too.

However for DV to be moving to improve transportation is the height of hypocrisy :lol:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby OldManDave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 am

I'm intrigued by the comments about facilities for fans at TNL. I would really like to praise the team for the direct and adventurous play in the first half and their ability, with a bit of luck, to hold on after the loss of key players in the second.

However I too am becoming increasingly frustrated by the poorly organised catering, particularly in the CE Suite. Just getting a cuppa and cake within the 15 minutes of half time is often difficult - more so since the younger student staff went back to their studies. Once you have got a cuppa there is nowhere to sit, a problem that is exacerbated by the number of 'reserved' tables set aside to dining and roped off. OK, if some fans want to pay to eat a meal before or after the match that's fine by me, but do they have to spend the match time and half time there as well? It has been bad at earlier matches but last Saturday the half-time queue stretched from the CE right down the (dangerously blocked) corridor at least as far as the Gents. In fact I don't think that those at the back really knew whether they were queuing for tea or a pee. Putting the server right next to the corridor doorway is total madness imo. There was no way that I and my guest could get refreshment (or a pee) at half time short of missing the first 20 minutes of the second half.

While the CE 'residents' undoubtedly pay for their food are they also paying for their indoor seats - or are their stand seats left vacant? Why can't they use the sponsored boxes only - and if those are full then tough, they can join the thousand other East Stand fans, many of them season ticket holders, and queue for their grub. The CE is full at half time for most games but its getting worse and someone really needs to get a grip on re-organising it.
Quite seriously I would close the CE area completely while the match is in progress, both halves, and perhaps ensure that those attending actually watch the football!

It isn't only the visiting fans or the North and South standers that have cause to complain, we the pampered East standers don't get that much of a deal and the B&W Lounge is apparently no better and only sells alcohol (drink & drive???).
Gripe over! COYR!
OldManDave
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

Theoperator - In the context of increasing growth, and despite the excellent park and ride facilities, yes I think we need to be based closer to our present and future support and to a place that is more 'in the shop window'. Like many, I'll regret the move away from our historical home but we have to grow not atrophy like Cheltenham. And the sad fact is, we do not draw much support from Forest Green & Nailsworth

Oldmandave points out frustrating issues that are deriving from increased demand and insufficient capacity. When we first moved to TNL, the CE was little used before and after the game. Now it is full from around 1.30pm on a Saturday match day and busy to as late as 6.00 - 6.30pm. The Black & White Lounge is equally busy and the outlets in the concourse and around the ground too. In fairness to Dale and his 'Stadium Team' coping with growth can be hard to get right. They are learning lessons all the time and deserve our patience

Whatever happens with the new stadium, my guess is that we will be at TNL for another 3 seasons. That is a significant length of time and at the most optimistic projection, could even see us a league higher? Between then and now we have to work on the issues that are causing problems to home and away supporters, so that we can leave TNL in good shape and inform the detailed design of the new stadium, for example:
- distribution/capacity of food outlets and restaurants
- extended west terrace and covered seats there
- adequate wcs
- maybe we will have to invest more widely in Portakabins?

Not everyone agrees and the 'dissenters' rise valid points. If we are to move, we need to do all we can to keep them on board
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Hopefully with the new stadium project Chrisgrump11, someone could think of the sun movement and direction when organising the main seating section, I'm sure this wasn't even considered at The New Lawn with everyone having to shield their eye on sunny days. Wouldn't it been better with the main stand on the other side like at the old ground.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Game Within » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Personally I think the Luton gate will be higher than Cheltenham.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I can categorically state that initially we wished to have the main stand on the West but when it came to fitting everything we wanted for an A Graded ground it had to be configured in the way we finished up.
And I have no idea why the toilets and refreshment bar in each segregated area is alleged as not being sufficient. It is well within the grading for both National League and Football League.
I accept that certain changes have been made since 2010 in accommodating home and away fans but the layout didn’t have any issues with dealing with big crowds before 2010, so let’s just get on with it. This cross club of no you don’t and yes we do is of pantomime proportion.
But we are coming up to the Fedtive Season so I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised.
And in addition during my time as MC and Stadium Manager the stadium had a UEFA and FIFA Certificate.
I am sure TimB will concur with my post.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Theoperator » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

What constitutes adequate grading wise though? If adequate means you have to miss the end of first or start of second then its inadequate. Its not an allegation, its a fact, certainly in the South Stand. The set up within isnt able to cater for the sudden numbers. Chip fryers are too small and instead of serving they are busy minding the chip fryers.

Its all changed as you know from seated away section to very filled home standing, yet the number and size of caterers and hatches hasnt changed.

Completely understand dealing with sudden rushes of people isnt easy, but 15-20 minute queues on a very limited menu is poor.

Dare i say that part of the reason why nothing changes is because those that have the power to change things dont experience the same queues.

IIRC doesnt the CE allow drinks ordered before the match starts for half time readiness, like theatres? same system could be considered for elsewhere in the ground. Perhaps some security could work in the catering areas as they arent so needed during half time. Perhaps volunteers could offer to help, for a reduced ticket price.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team