Thoughts of our matches in December 2017

All about our First Team

Thoughts of our matches in December 2017

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am

October and November have been good, now we have finished the teams begging with c we have to play quite a few teams in the top half of the league, especially if you include the cup games in this. If we continue our present form we could move up the league by a place or two by Christmas, and are in with a chance to be in round three of the fa cup. What a season!! All eyes on the goal, Come on you rovers!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Re: December 2017

Postby camel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm

December is interesting. Exeter twice, having already played them once. Then familiar faces in Grimsby and Lincoln. Luton will be an interesting opposition to test our new resolve in defence.

It's funny as after December we are playing return fixtures and so to a degree the "new" feeling starts to wear off. We know what it's all about now.

If I'm Mark Cooper I'm looking for some of the fringe players to really step up in December. We've had a few injuries now show us your worth and contribute to the party. Otherwise in January you may find yourself falling further down the pecking order with new signings or even moved on.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Good to see both Gomes and Randall getting on the scoresheet yesterday against Cheltenham, could do with those two making more of an impact.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes will be interesting if any fringe players can force there way in to the team. Personally I would like to see Bugiel a chance in centre midfield, think he can tackle, shield and power forward and his link up play and through balls to Doidge could be a good weapon. Also got the exciting prospect of Simpson and Stevens to maybe give 20 minute cameos at end of matches. Plus CC to come back, maybe there is back up for Traore and Osbourne after all.

Defensively I would like to see Manny step up a bit more, he has all the natural attributes, just needs a better 1st touch and bit more aggression. Maybe Wish given the opportunity to take over Lb slot. Attacking wise maybe Gomes or Randall can take heat and pressure off Doidge a bit. Kmb also needs to hit at least 10 goals plus. Hopefully Brown can add more in games which doesn’t suit his playing style.

Saying all that I believe we need 4 top class league 2 level players to survive in Jan. it is a big “if”. The players can be proud of their heart and commitment so far.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

camel wrote:
If I'm Mark Cooper I'm looking for some of the fringe players to really step up in December

If I'm Mark Cooper, I'm looking for some new players in December, ready for the transfer window in January!

Seriously though, we have turned a bit of a corner and we look more competitive, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, we have some of the 'better' teams in the league to play in December. And I really do think that 1-2 good New Year signings could still be the difference between us staying up and going down.

I fully accept, though, that it is going to be extremely difficult to get good players in January - perhaps 'rest of the season' loans from clubs higher up the pyramid might be the best way to get the right quality of player without spending a fortune? I believe Fitzwater is due to go back to WBA in January, so we may need to replace him unless the loan is extended, before we even get to signing additional players.

We have got to make sure we have a squad strong enough to keep us up. As far as I am concerned, 22nd place this year is absolutely fine, although it may not do my heart much good. We just absolutely have to find a way to stay up - then build from there.

And I have regular nightmares about a club coming in with £1,000,000 + offer for Doidge :o
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 pm

I think we can only have 5 loanees at any one time so that could be a sticking point. Fitzwater has been good and I hope we can keep him for the rest of the season. Out of all of the loans he has probably been the biggest success so far.

I'm sure Cooper is looking at other signings but it will be difficult with our league position, but then Osbourne approached FGR rather than the other way round, so clearly players of the right calibre are interested in joining and in his case it was due to our playing style, so maybe others will follow suit.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners Jnr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Admin ..... can this thread be renamed so we don't get it mixed up with the prediction one?
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Devil » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm

If he’s not injured, we could do worse than trying to getting Ethan Pinnock back on loan. Don’t think he has had much game time at Barnsley.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Thoughts of our matches in December 2017

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Yep defo, that would be great. I'm not sure how many players we need, because it doesn't always take much to flip the balance. What we need is quality.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Also, why is it harder to get good players in January?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Also, why is it harder to get good players in January?

My understanding (which probably isn't worth much) is that there's less players available on end of contract basis (free agents) and also if you are down near the bottom some players might not fancy it and relegation fight that goes with it. But then it's for the management to sell their vision I guess.

Equally though there will be some good players not playing enough games who might be interested in moving.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Interesting to note last Sundays papers had a TOP 10 non-league players getting attention from above. One from Dorking, who is an out and scorer,little over-weight,but so skilful ( Chelsea have had him watched,but deemed him to be too old at 23 to be of any use to them to develop further ).There are lots of very talented players in non-league who could easily step-up the leagues ( Omar comes to mind ).No transfer fees are involved, eager players willing to to do the step-up in class and turn full-time, and a win-win situation for everyone. Come on MC - bring in some of this un-tapped talent for our use.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Why aren't transfer fees involved if said player is under contract?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 pm

cookiemonster wrote:Why aren't transfer fees involved if said player is under contract?

There will be fees involved.

Examples from last season....

We paid £30k for Mullings.
We received £10k for Moore.

That said the transfer fees will likely be lower whilst they are non league players. Rumours that Ipswich will recall Moore, but would also consider a big offer. He could well go for 30 or 40 times what we sold him for. It's a funny old game.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 pm

And I have regular nightmares about a club coming in with £1,000,000 + offer for Doidge :

thats an interesting comment skunk man.

if it was me-or if i was Mr Vince-if that transpired-it would be a dream with a very 'happy ending' ,as opposed to a nightmare
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks for the info guys, it's all new to me!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 pm

When Omar signed from Worthing there was no mention of a fee, only that we would send down a team to play a pre-season friendly. Dont know about Dan Wisharts transfer though ( have an idea he was non-contract, but could be wrong ).
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 pm

And what about this Danny Rowe, Fylde AFC as a prospect for us, for to climb as another James Vardy?

Seems to feature well in an article in the Daily Mail today.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

michael wrote:And I have regular nightmares about a club coming in with £1,000,000 + offer for Doidge :

thats an interesting comment skunk man.

if it was me-or if i was Mr Vince-if that transpired-it would be a dream with a very 'happy ending' ,as opposed to a nightmare

You think?

Christian's goals are keeping us out of the bottom two - sure, a million quid for him might be seen as 'a good return' on what we spent, but if we end up getting relegated, it will surely be scant consolation in view of the millions that have been spent to get us into the Football League, won't it?

Bigger picture...?
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 pm

camel wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:Also, why is it harder to get good players in January?

My understanding (which probably isn't worth much) is that there's less players available on end of contract basis (free agents) and also if you are down near the bottom some players might not fancy it and relegation fight that goes with it. But then it's for the management to sell their vision I guess.

Equally though there will be some good players not playing enough games who might be interested in moving.

Agree with this - and in addition, I think clubs are loathe to let their better players go in January (if they can stop them), as they have only a matter of weeks to replace them. Losing two or three players in January and not being able to recruit replacements can 'finish' a team's season.
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team