Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City) FA Cup.

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City) FA Cup.

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:25 pm

How the hall did brown get mom by the way?! Doige, lacovetti , wishart were all better.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:31 pm

tommyd wrote:How the hall did brown get mom by the way?! Doige, lacovetti , wishart were all better.

I thought he was really constructive and tricky-foxy in the first half. Was it not he who set up Doidge for the first?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:31 pm

What a roller coaster. Doidge is looking in top top form and when he is given chances we always look like we can score. Great ball from Brown for the first goal (that's what earnt him MotM) and a wonderful finish for the third. How Doidge got the ball across for the second I don't know. James worked hard, Bugeil gave us a presence up top and Wishart added a new attacking dimension out wide. We gave as good as we got.

But Bradley Collins has to dominate his 6 yard box more. I thought the defence was ok and Collins (Lee) and Iacovitti brought the ball out well overall. But the first goal was awful (I think we were distracted by the impending substitution and the ref missing it - hence the first half of MCs anger). The third was awful for its timing. We were unlucky by that time to only draw although Collins did have to make one other excellent save late on to keep us in the hat.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Think they announced MOTM too early . 2 goals and an unbelievable assist the real MOTM was surely DOIDGE !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:28 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Sounded frenetic at the end. Gutted to have missed it.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Completely agree with Tommo about Brad Collins. Failed again to dominate in 6 yard box. Cost us against Swindon, Chesterfield and again today. I think we need to push the boat out in January and spend some of the Ethan Pinnock money on an experienced league 1 goalkeeper - absolute priority if we are not to undo the recent good work.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Jokerman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 pm

FOREST GREEN LET VICTORY SLIP AWAY. Saturday 2nd December 2017.

A one off game against Exeter City in the 2nd Rd of the F A Cup gives Forest Green Rovers the chance to earn a shot at slumming it with a Premiership side in the next round.
To achieve this aim this afternoon they will have to reverse form against a side that scored a comprehensive win at TNL in September.
The F A CUP as opposed to league fixtures imposes a different perspective and mindset certainly amongst supporters and they will be hoping Rovers have learnt lessons from their underwhelming performance against Cheltenham Town last week.
Team news reflects manager Mark Coopers problems with injuries within the squad.
Osbourne,Fitzwater,Keanu and Traore are all missing while Bugiel,Roberts,James and Wishart all make the starting line-up.
Low sodden clouds throughout the afternoon deposit their contents in a misty drizzle on close to nine hundred Exeter supporters on the west terrace,a formidable turn out.
Exeter attacking the south end start brightly and win a corner on the right. Boateng crosses low and Roberts has to react quickly to prevent Moore-Taylor giving his side an early lead on two minutes.
Doidge hits Rovers first shot on target but there is no power in the effort and Exeter keeper Pym gathers easily.
Both sides are playing on the offensive and McAlinden heads a Sweeney cross just wide on fourteen minutes for the visitors while at the other end Pym is forced to fist away a Rovers free- kick under pressure.
After twenty minutes Rovers put Exeter on the back foot with sustained pressure.
The second of two corners by Brown nearly creeps in but for Henville on the back post who clears.
On twenty six minutes Brown just inside the Exeter half fires a defence splitting pass forward for Doidge to run onto inside the box. He strikes the ball low seemingly straight at the advancing Pym who gets no contact and it rolls unerringly into the goal.
The vociferous Green Army step up the volume.
The goal boosts Rovers and shakes Exeter and a couple of unseemly incidents occur as the game runs up to half time. Bennett gets away with a warning instead of a red card for Rovers whereas Boateng is booked for leaving a foot in on Laird for Exeter which seems to upset the visiting fans no end.
Forest Green start proceedings in the second half in attack mode for the first ten minutes.
Doidge twice and Laird force saves from Pym but Exeter are seeing plenty of the ball and play is very open with good football by both sides.
On fifty eight minutes Exeter win a corner on the right taken by Boateng. His cross is blocked back and knocked to Lloyd James who puts in a cross that Collins misreads and the ball reaches Moore-Taylor at the back post and the scores are level.
The Exeter faithful ramp it up.
Rovers respond well and after good work by Bugiel and Wishart on the left Doidge flashes a header only inches wide of the right hand post.
Exeter are lifted by their goal and on sixty four minutes they take the lead.
Attacking down the left flank Laird takes a knock thwarting a breakthrough inside the box. He is still down as the ball is not cleared out of danger. Boateng gains possession nearby and before Rovers can cover he picks out Stockley who beats Collins from close range.
It was tough on Rovers and Cooper makes a change Gomes replacing Bugiel.
He is soon in action and tests Pym from distance with a low shot.
Stevens replaces Brown on eighty two minutes. He has had a fine game in mid-field.
On eighty three minutes a mistake by Roberts allows Moxey to pick out substitute Reid who cuts in on the left and beats Collins only to see Iacovitti clear the ball away.
Rovers are not done and Pym spills a Wishart cross but the ball is cleared.
Eighty eight minutes and Rovers produce the goods.
A move down the right finds Bennett who forces the ball inside to Doidge at the near post on the by-line with his back to goal. With defenders including Pym behind him he somehow manages to turn and force the ball through them where in bounces low inside the six yard box and Laird stoops to nod it over the line. The Green Army like it a lot and Exeter fans are hushed.
Rovers are going all out for a win and Gomes fires in a shot as the four minutes of added time go up on the board.
Exeter still believe and race to the other end and win a corner on the left. The ball is cleared out to Wishart on Rovers left and he goes on the charge down field slipping the ball to James who takes it down the centre and knocks it square to Stevens. The youngster stays calm and plays in Doidge running into the area on the left,as Pym rushes out he hits the ball low into the net and the whole stadium rises to him.
The Exeter fans are gobsmacked but not their players.
From the kick off they win a corner and Rovers are undone when the deep cross is headed firmly into the net by Stockley.
It is now Rovers who are gutted and with a minute remaining they were fortunate not to throw away the match entirely when Reid burst into the area where only desperate defending by Collins and Iacovitti averted disaster.
At the final whistle Forest Green fans were left exasperated. Rovers had come back to win the game and then very nearly threw it all away. It is in Rovers DNA that any would be supporter needs both strong nerves and an even stronger heart to follow this club.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:27 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Ethan pinnock isn't playing games why put a cheeky loan offer in!
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Can't say i agree with T50 one little bit.Collins maybe could have got to the headed goal but them so could Roberts who was marking the man at the time.That aside i don't think Collins put a foot wrong this afternoon and indeed he made some good saves as he has done quite often in the last few games.Why people think MC is sat on the Ethan million is beyond me,maybe Dale wanted to use it to balance the books after spending so much the last few years.And what standard of league 1 keeper do you think we will get if he is happy to drop to the bottom of league 2?I would rather have hungry young players out to improve .
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:20 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Worth reading this blog from Steve Hale...

http://www.stevehalegoalkeeping.co.uk/s ... -fans-blog
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 pm

Interesting read thanks, Camel.It is that old thing that if a striker makes a mistake then it's not too harmful but if a keeper makes one then its usually not a good outcome, the same with defenders as we are finding out this season as every mistake our back four make seems to get punished.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Keeper rooted to his line for a header in the 6 yard box - definitely not good keeping in my book.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks for reports - delighted we are still in the cup for the 3rd round draw....hasn't happened very often for our club

Looking forward to the replay at Exeter
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 am

garyjj wrote:Ethan pinnock isn't playing games why put a cheeky loan offer in!

Sounds like a good idea nothing to lose
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Rich E » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 am

£11 very well spent in my view.

I went through lots of emotions watching that - disappointment, hope, joy, frustration, relief to name just a few. It was a really good effort, especially by those brought in to replace the excellent regulars Osbourne, Traore, Marsh-Brown and Fitzwater.

We certainly moved the ball around really nicely at times, albeit there were the usual few dodgy moments following giving the ball away. We had the chances to sew it up but ended up nearly losing it. When you score 3 you'd hope to win, but I did feel that Exeter's goals showed up the need for some defensive improvement.

For me, that was what the FA Cup is all about. You could see the players were really up for it, the (albeit premature) celebrations at 3-2 saying it all. Doidge MOM for me, agree that Laird looked better in midfield and would like to see some more of Gomes, who looked skillful, pacey and generally tricky.

Eagerly awaiting the 3rd round draw and of course the replay.

Well done FGR!
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby garyjj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 am

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned laird but I thought he looked very comfortable in midfield, he drove us forward and wasn't scared to shoot, would love to see him there again!
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 am

Distraught though I was that we conceded at the death from yet another uncontested header in our 6 yard box (how many times this season?) what a game!

Credit to both sides for open exciting play - but for a 10 minute period in both halves, Rovers were dominant and combined patience and possession with some delicious moves and through balls. That was Reece Brown's genius and not just that pass of the season for the first goal. He is much stronger on the ball now and made me laugh when shrugging off a tackler twice his size.

Remembering that Rovers were without Osbourne, Traore, KMB and Fitzwater I wondered where our creativity and team play would come from. I should not have worried. Reece Brown stepped up and Lee Collins produced his best performance in defence an attack for Rovers. Laird recovered from a shaky start and proved more influential as the game went on. But I wished he would have played in the excellent Wishart earlier at times and left it to Dan to put the telling crosses over. I hope everyone has now noted how good Wishart is in getting back in defence - a huge contrast to last term- how many last ditch tackles did he bring off, ditto Alex I.

Elsewhere, Dale is back to top form, James is played confidently and worked his socks off as did Omar Bugiel. But Omar needs to improve his first and second touches as they let him down in good positions. Mark Roberts was imperious at times, absent at others - what was he doing sat on his backside at the corner of our box when Exeter's first equaliser was nodded in unchallenged?

Bradley Collins combines brilliance with moments that make you despair. His reaction saves, not least in the dying seconds, can take you breath away and he came for most balls. But others leave him rooted to his line - notably the first and third - and it worries me that no one takes command at the back in those situations. Lee Collins has got to show a skipper's leadership and make sure everyone is on his game from the set plays. It was hardly a surprise that Exeter would throw in a 'hail Mary' high cross but inexplicable that the striker rose unchallenged. Coops must have been apoplectic.

And back to Christian Doidge. Oddly, despite the goals he's been sticking in lately, I've felt his touch in front of goal has not been that good this year and he's missed some sitters or found the woodwork with the goal gaping. Yesterday he was fantastic. Whether out jumping the defence, running at them, taking and holding a difficult ball back to goal or sharpness in the areas that hurt - he was at his 100% best. Maybe the relaxing atmosphere of a FA Cup knock out does that for you.

Good to see Jordan Stevens and Tony Gomes join the party too. They both did well and will be properly satisfied that they helped turn their side around and come within seconds of an improbable win.

And lets not forget. Exeter will be in the top 3 of Division 2 by the season's end and will outplay most teams they meet. Like us, they do least well against the Lincoln's of this world. But yesterday, only their finishing was better than ours - far fewer efforts on goal but when the opportunities presented themselves, they struck. It shows how far this Rovers squad has come since August and September even when injuries and substitutions bite.

Swindon next week is another chance for Coops to give this side another outing in readiness for the difficult fixture at Cleethorpes. Speaking to KMB and Ozzy yesterday both were hopeful of being available then

For all the disappointment, amazing entertainment. Still buzzing
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team