Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City) FA Cup.

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City) FA Cup.

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 am

Exeter are the best side I have seen play this season, when they beat us a couple of months ago it could have been more, they barely reached top gear. Yesterday we gave them a really good game and nearly pinched it at the death, though I do accept that both teams were fielding weakened teams.

What perplexes me are the comments singling out one of our players for attention, suggesting that he might have been at fault for one of the goals, I think rooted to the spot was the terminology used. To have a game where six goals have been scored suggests that there was an abundance of error, by both individual and team, but the game was all the better for that happening. Has anyone mentioned that Doidge pretty much put the ball through their keepers' legs for both of his goals, nope I don't think they have, past a keeper who himself is still very young but with far more league experience than our own. I am guessing that those who seem to delight in singling out, not just on this occasion but many others, an individual player for what amounts to abuse just amazes me...I am guessing that the perpetrator has played, coached or managed at a high level, with their comments backed up by a wealth of experience...oh, maybe they haven't, they just do it to mask their own inadequacies like any other bully.

How hard is it to accept that our players are all human, just like us, they will make mistakes during games just as the rest of us undoubtedly do in our own lives. I heard a great comment from Colin Murray about following Northern Ireland, I apologise if my quote isn't word perfect (I'm sure that those who criticise the likes of Bradley and Charlie will be keen to point that out to me)...but it went something like "If you can't support us when we are playing badly you don't deserve to support us when we are doing well". My interpretation is that you should be prepared to support fully a player, or team, when things are going awry, if you don't then your support when things are good amounts to very little.

OK, rant over...back our team and players, don't criticise individuals, it is pointless and just makes you look foolish.

Yesterdays game was a classic, an absolute belter, that will live as long in my memory as the come back to draw against Lincoln, or even the Derby match. We are still in the draw tomorrow, who knows what incentive that will provide to finish the job in the replay.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby michael » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 am

not there-but delighted to read about laird in midfield.

so pleased for him as he has had a bit of a rough time so far.
maybe he has found his mojo,and through adversity (injury stricken team) something really good has come out of it
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Strange post Foggy?

I've re-read all the posts, mine included. Sure, Brad was mildly criticised for the last goal, that mixed with praise. But nothing harsh or remotely bullying. Have a coffee & a croissant and watch a Sunday film

Read Coops' comments too. He picks up similar points and twice bemoans that his favoured keeper did not come off his line and punch. Albeit, Coops is not slow in dishing blame when he sees fit. Scott Laird acknowledges the defensive weakness also. We supporters are allowed to comment too and praise far outweighs the brickbats

Brad is learning and will continue to improve. As I said, he makes 'breathtaking saves'. But it is fair to point out that aspects of our defence in the 6 yard box have to improve. We've conceded more goals in all competitions that most other teams, and the majority are uncontested headers. You do not need to be the Hairdryer to signal that as a weakness.

I commented that the captain must lead on this - he's the manager on the pitch - and I stick to that view. And 2 experienced older hands like he and Mark Roberts must show their younger counterparts the way. You cannot leave it to Alex I to do the last ditch stuff (reminiscent of Ethan Pinnock)

I agree about the emphasis on a keeper though. But that is why you have to be mad to be one. Luke James and Omar Bugiel passed up good chances as did the Welsh Wizard yet if you score 3 I guess most people feel you ought to be on the winning side.

Great game though
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Woah, how did laird get on in midfield? How did gomes play when he came on? And what did MC do to get sent off?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Not strange at all CG11, perhaps a bit of an over-reaction on my part, more a cumulative effect of a number of sniping comments in this thread and being tired of the constant drip-drip of negativity about some of our younger players. Bradley has improved during the season, there is no doubt in my mind that that is the case, he still has some way to go but has the ability to have a long and successful career in the game. I guess the trouble with keepers is that people tend to focus on them when something goes wrong, conveniently choosing to forget the work they have done to keep the ball out of the back of the net...remember that brilliant one handed save last week against Cheltenham, top drawer!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 pm

A long trip down yesterday but got a lot of work done so not time wasted. And it was well worth the trip.

My heart said it was the FA Cup but my head was thinking 3-1 to the Greeks in all honesty, especially seeing who was in the Carol Embry Suite and not on the pitch.

Good job I trusted my heart. Well played FGR to a man. We have confirmed we have some strength in depth.

Reece Brown was my MOTM as much for his tenacity as for his obvious skills and footballing brain.

I introduced Reece to 90 year old Graham Harvey after the game, who last played for FGR in 1948. Graham's view of our defence is best described as similar to Mark Cooper's view.

Crack on.

I got the train back from stroud to Swindon with a group of Greek Exiles. The view was "what a game" "you are a different team to last time we played you" I agree with both comments.

Keep up the good work and keep in improving. A tough month ahead.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Game Within » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:06 pm

The Game Within
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Glad I managed to make it, what a game. Sort of knew we'd blow it once 3-2 up, it was that sort of game but given the amount of key players we had out, thought we played really well.

Was on the South Stand and thought that although it wasn't as loud as it can be it wasn't flat, some decent noise and those last few minutes were electric. Need good support down there, could be a massive game.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:50 pm

The Game Within wrote:https://twitter.com/OfficialECFC/status/937290324308779008/video/1
Don't know if this will work

Thank you
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 pm

It's the supporters club quiz night this coming Friday.

£5 entry including food. Raising funds for FGR ladies and the SC.

You don't need to be a member to come along.

Question, when did we last play Exeter City at their place in an FA Cup Replay.

Looking forward to it.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 pm

The Running Rover wrote:When you get that close to the 3rd round and concede an equaliser at the death, you always lose the replay...

Not always. Conceded a late equaliser in the 2-2 v Rotherham 1st round 07/08, won the replay 3-0 at Millmoor, and also conceded a late equaliser v Mansfield 1st round 09/10 but won the replay 2-1 at Field Mill. Still got a good chance.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
The Running Rover wrote:When you get that close to the 3rd round and concede an equaliser at the death, you always lose the replay...

Not always. Conceded a late equaliser in the 2-2 v Rotherham 1st round 07/08, won the replay 3-0 at Millmoor, and also conceded a late equaliser v Mansfield 1st round 09/10 but won the replay 2-1 at Field Mill. Still got a good chance.

Go with that K/s. In addition to your comment, I would select the same team. Experienced as to what they are up against and with a bit of training day tweaking, could carry it through.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:01 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Woah, how did laird get on in midfield? How did gomes play when he came on? And what did MC do to get sent off?

Thought Laird did okay in midfield and provided cover for Wishart’s occasional defensive frailties. Gomes was pretty solid without being spectacular. It’d be good to see more of him.

Could see MC getting sent off from early on. Brown was sent to the dugout in the first half for not having shin pads. Took a good few minutes to find a pair and the 4th official was giving the management grief for not sorting it out quicker. MC quite rightly asked him “who the flip do you think you are?!” (Or similar wording...) followed by “I’ll see you after”. You could tell that the 4th was gunning for him after that. Things weren’t helped by the the substitution debacle, with the alleged comms failure - MC was apoplectic when it resulted in a goal. So when MC threw two water bottles to the ground in frustration at the 3-3 equaliser, the 4th official seemed to take satisfaction in calling the referee over to send him off. A very poor decision given the circumstances of the game in my opinion.
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby OldManDave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:27 am

While I totally agree that it is not nice to single out individuals it is certain that mistakes have been made on the pitch and these need fixing.

The goalkeeping situation seems to be unique, we have an experienced, reliable keeper sitting on the bench but continue to play his replacement who is relatively inexperienced. Have we ever had OFFICIAL confirmation that we HAVE to play the loan keeper by the way? Judging from MC's post-match comments HE is not satisfied with BC's performance on Saturday - so what is he going to do about it? He says that they have been practising defensive tactics for set pieces and corners and obviously has identified the weakness.

Has anyone standing near our goal ever heard a loud "Mine" or "My Ball" ? No matter what the article above may say about keeping, someone has to take charge in the 6-yard box and pile in with a catch or punch. I'm sorry but BC is too hesitant or undecided in tight situations. Just look at the replays of Exeter's first and third goals (he had no chance anyway with the second). It is likely that Exeter will have identified the weakness too which makes it essential that for the replay SR is in goal to provide a different sort of cover. And I could suggest the same for all games.... We do need an established, reliable keeper not an 'improving' one at this stage - but we do have one on the bench.

I know that BC has made some superb saves in the past but in my view these have been in more open play, not when under direct physical pressure from big attackers. The speed of his distribution has improved, particularly short balls, but long-ball accuracy is more haphazard.. I loved the header to clear from way outside his area but I do worry about the occasional dropped ball or spilled save.

Yes, the rest of the defence need to play their part too, but should not have to do their own jobs AND those of the keeper - they should have confidence in the last man to be able to work together as a unit. I'm not saying that the defence do not make errors, but a keeper's error is more likely to directly result in a goal. So maybe with red-carded MC re-positioned high in the stand he will have a better view of the game and appreciate what supporters have been getting at for much of the season.

Having said all that, I think that the team gave us an exciting and often skilful display on Saturday, including the subs, and I would be happy to see more of the same if only my dicky ticker would stand it. (And praise for the quick service in a less crowded atmosphere in the CE Suite at half time!)
OldManDave
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks TreeHugger. Had no idea what was happening in those incidents so your 'earwigging' explains all. As regards Dan Wishart, whenever he was beaten on the retreat, he managed to catch his opponent and get in a saving tackle - big difference from last year. And he is potent in attack - a 'Dale of the left'. I thought Laird's start was understandably shaky but he got better as the game progressed and being on the spot for the equaliser was just reward.

In fairness, our defensive work is far better than it was and Osbourne's effectiveness at set plays was missed as was Fitzwater's awareness.

Maybe we should take a leaf out of American football book by identifying a 'defensive team'. Lee Collins is our leader and the most experienced player in the side; he must organise and bark out the instructions to those about him. As you say, it was earily quiet at many set plays and we sometimes had only 4 or 5 players plus keeper in the box leaving 2 Exeter players free to make runs. we look vulnerable to a good cross and muscular forwards

The first goal was a typical FGR concession this year - free header with central defenders nowhere. The second was a superb break. The third was dire - Brad stayed on his line and not one defender made a challenge. TV made it look even worse than I'd thought at the time. At that point in the match it should have been all hands to the pump. Seconds later, Brad and the last defenders cleared off the line when Exeter had ripped through - if only that same desire had happened just before?

Overall, it was a far better performance than the reshuffled side might have promised and yet more proof that the squad is coming to terms with the physicality and intensity of life at a higher level. I have no doubt at all that Coops will use the mistakes to improve the players as he has done already this year.

All the players should be proud of standard they have risen too after a poor start to the season and no one should feel bad after serving up that feast on Saturday
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am

Found this excellent video on the Exeter City website: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/201 ... cup-match/

Clever piece that really captures the excitement of the game. Enjoy
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

Sam may have dealt with some of the crosses which Bradley hasn't, but he (along with most other keepers at this level) wouldn't have stopped some of the shots from open play which Brad has. So swings and roundabouts for me. Over the last few weeks home and away I think Brad is strongly in net credit.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stroud green » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Found this excellent video on the Exeter City website: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/201 ... cup-match/

Clever piece that really captures the excitement of the game. Enjoy

Thanks for this. Good stuff. Shows how fortunate we were to still be in it with 5 minutes to go but then how, with Doidge on fire and Collins' great save at the end, we should have won.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Don't think we were fortunate to still be in it tbf, other then a 15-20 minute spell in the second half after they'd brought on Harley and changed their shape we were the better side, had more possession, created more chances and had more shots. After going 2-1 down changing shape and putting Gomes and later Stevens on seemed to help swing the momentum back in our favour, as did Exeter starting to drop back and the equaliser had been coming.

The match stats point to that as well, Exeter only had 4 shots on target but scored 3 of them. They were clinical but overall a draw was the least we deserved imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team