All about our First Team

Doidge catching the eye

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Doidge catching the eye

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 am

Not a helpful headline even if it is true. Mind you we reportedly fended off would be suitors over the summer so fingers crossed !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 am

We need to keep him until the end of the season, stay up and then if he wishes to go get a big fat hefty fee.
If he goes in January whatever money we get for him would be lost getting relegated. I just can’t see us staying up this season without his goals.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby mauler » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am

spot on FGR - agree 100%
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't see Doidge leaving in January. He looks fully committed to us and I am hoping he will want to see this season through with us. However, if someone higher up comes in for him at the end of the season I hope that we can get another Pinnock-size fee - if not more - and have time to reinvest it.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Big money transfers are not always the best thing for a footballer's career. I remember Stuart Fleetwood. When we were a struggling lower table side he had a brilliant season for us, and won the golden boot . That earned him a transfer to Charlton Athletic, but he only got a couple of appearances in the reserves, and gradually worked his way down the leagues till he ended up in the Southern league, I think playing as an amateur for Weymouth. Ethan Pinnock - 1 appearance for Barnsley all season. If he had stayed he would have been the first name on the team sheet every week and would have further enhanced his reputation. What good id a mover to a bigger club if you're not going to be playing regularly?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi
It is likey one of the hardest decisions any player can make with any certainty.
Jamie Vardy is an example of the opposite experience to that of SF; and CD is just about the same age now as JV was when he went to Leicester

It probably comes down to the management of the new club and how the player takes to any new systems.

If anyone has to come in for CD who is a worker for his team as well as being prepared to shoot when he has a chance; I can think of one manager/team combo he would fit into.
Though it is a bit further from his Welsh roots.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Big money transfers are not always the best thing for a footballer's career. I remember Stuart Fleetwood. When we were a struggling lower table side he had a brilliant season for us, and won the golden boot . That earned him a transfer to Charlton Athletic, but he only got a couple of appearances in the reserves, and gradually worked his way down the leagues till he ended up in the Southern league, I think playing as an amateur for Weymouth. Ethan Pinnock - 1 appearance for Barnsley all season. If he had stayed he would have been the first name on the team sheet every week and would have further enhanced his reputation. What good id a mover to a bigger club if you're not going to be playing regularly?

I agree with the sentiments here but Pinnock has been injured so he hasn’t been able to play since September until very recently.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 pm

FGR123 wrote:We need to keep him until the end of the season, stay up and then if he wishes to go get a big fat hefty fee.
If he goes in January whatever money we get for him would be lost getting relegated. I just can’t see us staying up this season without his goals.

Never a truer word written, we would be lost without Christian, we seem unable to stop goals going in at the back (need a more dominating goalkeeper badly), Doidge must stay to the end of season. Failure could mean relegation and that would be awful. :cry:
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 am

Just wanted to clear this one up.
I have had a few people say to me this story says Forest Green are on the verge of selling Christian! Far from it. His record is obviously going to attract interest, but at no point did I say he was about to be sold. It would be remiss of me not to run a story on his incredible form and the possibility of teams looking at him.
I'm not Mystic Meg but put some money on him scoring against West Brom!
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners Jnr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
It is likey one of the hardest decisions any player can make with any certainty.
Jamie Vardy is an example of the opposite experience to that of SF; and CD is just about the same age now as JV was when he went to Leicester

It probably comes down to the management of the new club and how the player takes to any new systems.

If anyone has to come in for CD who is a worker for his team as well as being prepared to shoot when he has a chance; I can think of one manager/team combo he would fit into.
Though it is a bit further from his Welsh roots.

As you say Dad(without actually saying it) Doidge is definitely a Dyche type of player, and the Clarets also have a reputation for turning former National League players into premiership stars ..... Andre Gray, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings(pre injury), Michael Duff, Sam Vokes all plied their trade in the boomdocks.
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 am

At least no one is saying that CD is catching the eye for not having scored all season.

Keep calm and carry on....

Long way to go yet.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 am

I simply imagine how many goals Doidge would score if he played in front of a midfield who created a few more chances as opposed to endeavouring to pass it into the net.

that said-does anyone else recognise that in the last 3 games-there is more 'directness' from FGR ,and it has dawned upon a few that shooting at goal does help-even if it creates rebounds/second chances-and just because FGR cannot defend a high ball-FGR are allowed to create similar havoc in the opposition 6 yard box with the occasional high ball,leading to goalkeeper errors/poor clearances from the opposition-and its not just FGR who are absolutely useless at clearing the high ball.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Not sure that I agree Michael. Coops varies his tactics, in fact it's hard to keep up! Several times recently he has been critical that his side can be shot-shy and I think we are seeing the result, notably from KMB & Reece Brown.

As ever it is a balance between possession, pace and people making incisive runs. We were poor against Cheltenham after Osbourne and Traore were crocked and we went route 1 (to little effect) as we lost the midfield battle. Against Exeter we got the blend just right in my opinion and generally outplayed a fine side. The finishing and defending was the difference between 3-3 and a resounding win

Since 'the Browns' have linked up, our shot tally & goals have picked up. They and Jordan Stevens are also producing some stunning passes inside the defence which are meat and drink to Doidge who is also staying further upfield at his manager's encouragement

Even with the injuries, the side is playing far better than in August and September. Mostly due to the positive effect of Osbourne for Noble but also the improving experience & physical resilience of young guys like Fitzwater, Iacovatti, Brad Collins, Reece Brown, Dan Wishart and so on. The experienced players have taken their cue from their contribution I think - Lee Collins and Scott Laird have certainly raised their game. Dale Bennett and Christian Doidge were always there. And lets give credit where it is due, the quality of coaching and fitness training is shining through

The least predictable element at the moment is Drissa Traore. At times a genius at others a risk taker who gets caught out. When he is on song, the midfield purrs. I rather think that Drissa's current form and injury will see Charlie or Jordan Stephens preferred - a judgement call between flair and 95 minutes hard work. Osbourne is still the key I think
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 pm

People on here say CD would not go in January - but if the club were offered silly money from someone desperate, eg a million +, then Im sure he will be on his way. Tax-free signing-on fee, double wages, the lure of playing at a higher league, a long-contract, is tempting to anyone. Don't hold your breath.... ( I do hope not though ).
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Game Within » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am

Well done CD WINNER of the player of the month.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby The Jovial Forester » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm

We all know what a hard worker Christian is as well as a talent and I notice he often catches the eye of opposition fans too, even back in our early bad run. So lucky to have him.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

I hope that didn't hurt Christian, and does that mean you're an inch shorter today. Taken from the FGR news page:

"Christian Doidge says he had top inch himself after scooping the League Two Player of the Month award for November".

I would rather he just pinched himself, it would be less painful, well done Christian.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm

"I’m really happy here,” he explained.

“I’ve obviously got that little bit of security of a long-term contract behind me and I think that’s really important for a footballer because it lets you be confident and really forget about that side of things and just worry about putting the ball in the back of the net.

“It’s an exciting time for a lot of players but it’s something I haven’t really thought of because I am contracted to Forest Green.”
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Many congratulations to Christian. But please don’t top yourself
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next