Match thread from The County Ground (Swindon) CT

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The County Ground (Swindon) CT

Postby Timb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Excellent result.

Good stuff and now back to the League for a few days. Grimsby Town away.

And before that the Supporters Club Quiz Night on Friday night. it's going to be a hood night with around 100 tickets now sold.

You can turn up on the night and pay on the door. It's never too late to decide to come up for the quiz night. £5 a head, food included. Full bar in the Carol Embrey Suite.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Great away win at Swindon and through to the next round. I think Bennett is a brilliant player, in fact one of our best, but he is becoming a real liability to the team with all these yellows and red. Mind you saying that I wouldn't want him to change his footballing ability.

Final completed team sheet if you want to print out a copy: http://www.forestgreenroversfc.co.uk/id31.html

Attendance: 1320 No figure for the FGR supporters but we heard them loud and clear.

Man-of-the-Match: Reece Brown

Very happy again, mind as a Swindon supporter as well I would have won eaither way.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Bennett's sending off tonight will only affect the team for the next round only in the Checkatrade Trophy.

It will NOT affect any EFL appearances but that is in material because he is subject to a three match anyway starting this weekend.

And by the way another win towards Wembley.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Timb wrote:How's Shortwood?

3-1 to Shortwood with Jordan Morris (FGR loanee) scoring right at the end. Swindon Supermarine must have wondered how they didn’t win though.

Bad night for Swindon football and good for Stroud Valleys. Pity about Bennett’s discipline since in recent years it had improved. But a fine win and I look forward to the next round.

Money for Dale too.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Great win, good to see Charlie back getting some minutes and also for Doidge to continue his brilliant form.

Agree about Dale, he's a fantastic player but he's now going to have missed 3 league games, 1 FA Cup game and 1 Checkatrade Trophy game through suspension this season. He's done well to curb his discipline over the last couple of years but think he needs a bit of a refresher on that front.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Just a note to say I was unable to cover the game tonight. I'm now having to edit The Wilts and Glos Standard along with the SNJ! The sports editor was made redundant and I have been lumbered with it! Sadly no pay rise.
I have booked a days holiday next Tuesday to be able to cover the Exeter game.
Tough times in journalism.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Harry Halitosis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 am

Who is the sub named as Rusell?
Harry Halitosis
Youth
Youth

Postby John Whiffen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 am

SNJ Ash wrote:I have booked a days holiday next Tuesday to be able to cover the Exeter game.
Tough times in journalism.

And I thought it was one long holiday Ash :D :D
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 am

Forgettable game, poor crowd. But winning is a habit and confidence is growing with every good result

Dale was picked on by the ref who seemed blind to the wrestling tactics of the guy he was marking and consistently and wrongly penalised Dale. Once Swindon went down to 10 it was inevitable the red would even things up and Dale was the fall guy. A very poor official
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 am

Poor game. But £60,000 richer after our participation in the competition so far. We're definitely in a different league now.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 am

You are right CG11, the ref was very poor. He created a stop start game which doesn't seem to suit us and he seemed to have Dales card marked from kick off. Fortunately it won't affect his availability in the league.

I thought the game was pretty forgettable, but there were some positives buried away in there and most importantly it was another win to keep the habit going.

Brad Collins again made a couple of good saves, caught and punched crosses and also seemed more willing to give his defence a mouthful. He was also decisive rushing off his line to thwart Woolery on several occasions, clearing the ball in to the stands from outside his area.

What about that turn and effort from range by Jordan Stevens forcing a good save. He completely managed to split the defence open with that one turn. If he can do that more consistently in a game he will be a real asset and talent.

Reece Brown had another good game and seemed to be involved in anything we did well. Another good assist and some good skills and a good effort from range too. His control is a real asset at throw ins as well as it seems to help us retain the ball a lot more.

Also how committed the defence were to protecting the lead.

Finally a big dose of credit to Cooper for biting his tongue in the post match interview when asked about the ref. Not sure how he managed it.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Reading the Swindon forum, they have suggested that as soon as Dale Bennett received his first yellow he was targeted to get another one and get sent off, they achieved that.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Reading the Swindon forum, they have suggested that as soon as Dale Bennett received his first yellow he was targeted to get another one and get sent off, they achieved that.

Yep. I can see that.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Agree with all Camel's 'positives'.

I'd add one more - Woolery may be pacy but he could not run past Manny nor catch him when Manny took the ball away - just one nasty kick which should have brought punishment. Manny was equal to anything thrown at him, countered sensibly and shows that he is quick despite his size.

Can't help but conclude that Coops would have coached Woolery to better things. £350K to buy a League 2 player to warm the bench - wow!

In fairness, after the exciting Exeter game, FGR were understandably happy to let Swindon make the running. But the hosts were pretty clueless and when Stevens & Gomes came on, Rovers attacks were the sharper.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Me thinks DB needs an anger management course soon - he is great, but sees the red mist too quickly.Can be a liability to a team.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm

It's a good thing I really like watching forest green because that was one of the worst games of football I have seen for a while. Saying that, we got a clean sheet and beat Swindon. As well as the usual praise I was impressed with monthe, brown and Stevens.

I don't get this cup. Where does the 60,000 come from? Is there and payment for winning games?

Great to see Charlie back in health.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 pm

As for Bennet, I hope the club help him in any way he wants with his anger, i don't want to see him as frustrated as he used to get, he's my hero!
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Very well done lads - lets take this performance and result forward.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:It's a good thing I really like watching forest green because that was one of the worst games of football I have seen for a while. Saying that, we got a clean sheet and beat Swindon. As well as the usual praise I was impressed with monthe, brown and Stevens.

I don't get this cup. Where does the 60,000 come from? Is there and payment for winning games?

Great to see Charlie back in health.

Checkatrade Trophy Prize Money:

2017/18 

Each EFL Club to receive a participation fee of £20,000 in addition to the following competition fund: 
Group Stage £10k for a win and £5k for a draw; 
Round Two = £20k for a win; 
Round Three = £40k for a win; 
Quarter Final = £50k for a win; 
Runner-up = £50k; 
Winner = £100k.

Also, I think that match day proceeds are split 45% between the 2 participating teams, with the other 10% retained in a pool fund.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team