Checkatrade Cup Draw

All about our First Team

Checkatrade Cup Draw

Postby Football Poets » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Just drawn on Talk Sport

Yeovil v FGR
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Checkatrade Cup Draw

Postby The Jovial Forester » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

If we're not careful we might win this godawful thing
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:If we're not careful we might win this godawful thing

Oh Mr Forester, try to be a bit more jovial...it is the season to be merry and show goodwill and positivity to our players!

We are gradually climbing up the football league in our first ever season, we have the opportunity to reach the third round of the F.A.Cup against a Premiership team. And...

Progress in your "godawful thing" has already earned us £60,000, given the players confidence & match time they relish and supporters another interest. The Checkatrade Cup may not be high on our list priorities, but it is an achievement to be in the last 16....and yes there a possibility we could win it. :D
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
The Jovial Forester wrote:If we're not careful we might win this godawful thing

Oh Mr Forester, try to be a bit more jovial...it is the season to be merry and show goodwill and positivity to our players!

We are gradually climbing up the football league in our first ever season, we have the opportunity to reach the third round of the F.A.Cup against a Premiership team. And...

Progress in your "godawful thing" has already earned us £60,000, given the players confidence & match time they relish and supporters another interest. The Checkatrade Cup may not be high on our list priorities, but it is an achievement to be in the last 16....and yes there a possibility we could win it. :D

I know, it's just the Johnson's Paint ruined by the Prem youth teams I object to. If it was like the former I'd be delighted by our progress, as it is I worry it's the thin end of the wedge to reserve sides in the lower leagues. Sure you've seen the arguments.
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

with you on this one in its entirety Pitchfork.

-and if it means beating Chelsea U21's at TNL in the quarter finals-whats wrong with that ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I was a bit deterred by the u21 teams being included and agree with concerns about reserve teams, but I think it's shown fans are dead against it and Leicester's £40m+ team the other day was awfully unfair and shows why it wouldn't work. But i am bit of a convert now and try to see past that and enjoy it for what it is.

Aside from the prize money the tournament has given players the chance of game time and push for a starting place and help keep our momentum going.

I also enjoy it being a mid week cup as I sometimes find these easier games to be able to go to.

We've been to Wembley two years in a row, dare we dream of a hat trick?

Enjoyed Tuesday, will enjoy this round as well. Bring it on.

As an aside, from where the season once looked; out of the league cup in the first round, in the relegation zone etc to where we are now is incredible. Climbing the league, still in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy. There's a long way to go but Cooper and his charges deserve a lot of credit for the resilience and progress the have demonstrated and for fighting on all fronts.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby StroudFan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

I don’t like the whole U23/21 premiership side of things, but whilst we are in it, £60k and some good wins under our belt can only be a good thing.

Pretty sure it was this competition helped us start our recent good form: very useful indeed.
StroudFan
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 pm

We won't win it but god I'd love to. Its a major trophy at the end of the day. And if we were to win it we'd have it on our honours list more than most league clubs.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

Yeovil away. Very winnable
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 am

We've been to Wembley two years in a row, dare we dream of a hat trick?

never mind the checkatrade trophy Camel-you will probably still find a few on here who reckon FGR will make the league play off finals.!!
(not among that band myself )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 am

michael wrote:never mind the checkatrade trophy Camel-you will probably still find a few on here who reckon FGR will make the league play off finals.!!
(not among that band myself )

Don't recall anyone on here saying anything about the play-offs, but I do recall a certain poster hysterically predicting that we'd be 15 points adrift of the entire division by the new year, which some might argue is nearly as ridiculous as anyone who might predict us making the play-off final. ;)
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 pm

was it 15 points ?
i thought it was 12 -but either way your point is well made KS.

did i also add the slight caveat -if nothing changes ?
am i correct that there has been a slight change in style to being more direct ?

even so, unless some strong defenders are signed in January unfortunately-i do not remain confident of retaining league status ,but hope you can say 'told you so again' in april KS ,starting with a win today
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 pm

RyRover wrote:Yeovil away. Very winnable

Agreed provided we continue (to be able) to take the tournament seriously. The injuries we have at the moment need to mend so that MC has a larger number of players to choose from. Its a busy period with a lot of games and surely some ever presents will need a rest at some point.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team