Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 am

Short highlights here. https://youtu.be/TFptbSc8Y6o
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am

When AP was in charge I was one of those who moaned about the poor quality of football. Yes, we ground out results but it wasn't pretty to watch. MC has brought a better brand of football. He has recruited to support his strategy and players that didn't fit have gone (plus some that did but which he didn't think were good enough - some of which I think he may have been wrong about). As Kentstripe says, when he briefly lost the faith at Port Vale, we looked very poor and, I for one, am glad that we are still trying to play possession/passing football. Results are of course important but as I have said before I don't see why we can't play good football and get good results like we did for much of last season.

Of course, its harder in League 2. I predicted 18th to reflect that and I remain hopeful. We seem to have settled and become competitive (as MC aimed to be) and we have had a decent run recently. Even yesterday, we almost got a point despite losing a player before half time. Grimsby are no pushovers. Are people on here really expecting that we will go away to teams like that and dominate them for 90 minutes?

I don't doubt that we are in a struggle but I hope MC gets his key players back soon, calms down a bit, and sticks to his game plan/strategy. We have some very tough fixtures coming up - I can't see us getting anything versus Exeter (in either game) or against Luton. But hopefully we can stay in touch with the 7-8 teams that are around us by picking up a few points here and there. We had a lot of catching up to do in October and November and we can't afford to drop off the pack again.

But there is little point in going overboard whenever we lose a game and certainly no point, in my view, in changing the way we try to play mid-season. We don't have the personnel or the mentality for that. Relegation would be a disaster and I share LGIII's and others' worries, but we have shown that we can win games at this level playing attractively and I believe that we will again (and enough) in the second half of the season (just).
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:56 am

Kentstripe wrote:Imagine that if we win Tuesday the likes of tommyd and LG will crawl back under their rocks until we lose again......

You really have such a blinkered view of things that you think this is correct.

Nope, wasn't at the game today, but I'm entitled to an opinion as much as you. Difference is that I don't call for people to be banned when they don't share my opinion.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

king giraffe III wrote: I don't call for people to be banned when they don't share my opinion.

Who does that?
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm

We lost then.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I know some people are still saying that we look ok in the Form table BUT it's the League 2 table that matters and after 1 win in the last 5 (and that was the late late show v Crewe) we have slipped right back into the mire.
Injuries and suspensions are definitely taking their toll and without 4 or 5 yesterday who would have started plus another red card to boot it's going to be a tough run up to the end of December.
Like others I do think we have enough quality to get back up the league but we need the likes of Ozzy fit again and KMB firing on all cylinders. I also think its time Stevens had more game time. He oozes quality whenever he's on the ball ............. what are we waiting for? If you're good enough you're old enough ........... this lad is good enough !! Play him on Tuesday and see how he gets on !
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm

T50 BOS wrote:I know some people are still saying that we look ok in the Form table BUT it's the League 2 table that matters and after 1 win in the last 5 (and that was the late late show v Crewe) we have slipped right back into the mire.
Injuries and suspensions are definitely taking their toll and without 4 or 5 yesterday who would have started plus another red card to boot it's going to be a tough run up to the end of December.
Like others I do think we have enough quality to get back up the league but we need the likes of Ozzy fit again and KMB firing on all cylinders. I also think its time Stevens had more game time. He oozes quality whenever he's on the ball ............. what are we waiting for? If you're good enough you're old enough ........... this lad is good enough !! Play him on Tuesday and see how he gets on !

Now, now, let's not criticise players for being sent off. It wasn't their fault. It's a conspiracy.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

It’s snowing. WOW
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I was not at the game, but take an interest in the report in the FL Paper.
to best of my knowledge-the reports are made by neutrals.

everyone sees it differently, but i do read that the highest score for a FGR Player yesterday was a 8 for collins,a couple of 5's (new forest rover will be ecstatic as it was for wishart ),and the rest got 4's
Grimsby players were getting 6/7/8.

The disparity in quality is what has and is concerning me going forward.
-yet those who went to the game (and manager ) suggest fgr played ok.
-so what will it be like if fgr play poorly-of which like any team they are very capable

is it a myopic /loyalist view that FGR are doing ok ?

everyone has poor games-but even in poor games, you expect two or three players to be getting average scores.

that is why i question, whether there is enough collective quality in the team to survive in this league.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:

Have you seen some of the so called refereeing we have had to put up with lately??

Not surprised the team including the Manager are frustrated!! The decisions have been so bad it almost looks like a conspiracy!!!

I'm more worried about how many injuries we have and suspensions given for some dreadful decisions by incompetent referees. :evil:

Chatting to two Grimsby supporters in the bar before the game, they told me about the “bookie” ref as he likes dishing out cards and averages one red card per game. So I was not surprised but still disgusted about his standard of refereeing. As others have said, nothing appears to be done, perhaps “footie man” can elaborate !!!!
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:37 pm

John
If you edit and put the ] back after the [/quote then it will show up correctly on your post.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Am I the only person that isn't bothered about yesterday? Sounds like we played well for a side thin on the ground of bodies.

Ok, Grimsby are no where near the top 10 teams in this league and maybe they should of won by more but...they didn't. Their only goal came from a tap in from a great penalty save. We could of easily equalised second half with the one cleared off the line and wouldn't the mood be oh so different if that went in?

I'm still not 100% convinced we will stay up but performances like yesterday give me a lot of hope.

We will lose games people. We are new to this league and every team expects to beat us. We won't go to places like Grimsby and dominate possession and attempts on goal. It's not going to happen. We need to accept that defeats are now going to happen frequently. We were spoiled in the VNL and I think all of our mentalities need to shift back into the real world. We are new to this league and staying up is all we need to aim for this season. Can we do it? I have no idea! But I'm enjoying the ride none the less
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Agreed RR. We're thin on the ground but stick to the plan.

From what I've seen lately we are a good team.

Motivational speeches not required from Michael et Al.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm

RyRover wrote:Am I the only person that isn't bothered about yesterday? Sounds like we played well for a side thin on the ground of bodies.

Ok, Grimsby are no where near the top 10 teams in this league and maybe they should of won by more but...they didn't. Their only goal came from a tap in from a great penalty save. We could of easily equalised second half with the one cleared off the line and wouldn't the mood be oh so different if that went in?

I'm still not 100% convinced we will stay up but performances like yesterday give me a lot of hope.

We will lose games people. We are new to this league and every team expects to beat us. We won't go to places like Grimsby and dominate possession and attempts on goal. It's not going to happen. We need to accept that defeats are now going to happen frequently. We were spoiled in the VNL and I think all of our mentalities need to shift back into the real world. We are new to this league and staying up is all we need to aim for this season. Can we do it? I have no idea! But I'm enjoying the ride none the less

19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am

Kentstripe wrote:
Today wasn't a good result but we're massively depleted and were down to 10 men for an hour, the odds weren't exactly in our favour.

The only 2 games we've lost in the past couple of months have been when we've had 2 very dubious red cards go against us, and we've been competitive in every game.

Agree 100%.

Our current league position is down to our form at the start of the season, particularly Shambolic September, when we took 1 point from 7 league games :shock:

Unfortunately even after our much improved performances of late, a couple of defeats was always going to drag us back into trouble.

You can debate the number of injuries, poor refereeing decisions and whatever else - all that matters is getting the players who are fit onto the pitch and trying to get a result. I wasn't at the game but the reports I have read suggest we worked very hard to do this.

We are missing Driss and Ossie terribly I feel and badly need 2-3 new recruits in January. But for now, its heads down and BATTLE for every point - something we have done pretty well since the Newport Nightmare.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 am

You're going to struggle to win games without a central midfield, most important part of the pitch.
We desperately miss Ozzy and Drissa and the backups aren't of sufficient quality, Laird isnt a cm and Cooper is only just back from a medium term injury himself, and hasnt really shown he's league 2 quality at any point in his spell here. I think we need another cm in January to help the strength in depth and to allow for some rotation in that position.

Sounds like we did ok considering the circumstances, but that sadly isn't going to get us many points. This squad at full strength is good enough to stay up, I have no doubt about that, but I do question the quality of some of our backup players.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team