Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:12 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I don't think Grimsby deserved to win that at all.
We only had ten men, nine for the last 15 mins and they still only managed to beat us by one goal.

I wish there was a facepalm emoji.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:15 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I really wasn't expecting anything from today's match but it seemed everything was against us. Give the players some credit for battling through the second half with 19 men and then 9 towards the end.

Finally got my website working so here is the final team sheet for those who print out a copy: http://www.forestgreenroversfc.co.uk/id31.html

Attendance: 4398 (38 from FGR)

Man-of-the-Match: Alex Iacovitti

Disappointing but the lads did well to keep it to just 1, well done the travelling supporters.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

SNJ Ash.

Any idea on when Isiah and Drissa are due back from their injuries, we need players back and soon. :cry:
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Just because they beat us doesn't mean they deserved to.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:31 pm

disappointing but probably expected.

i just get fed up reading that FGR had more possession 53% cf 47%, yet grimsby apparently had 21 shots to fgr 8 of which only 1 was on target.

yet again,(and stats can be wrong ) it seemed fgr played decent,had possession -so most are happy here tonight even though no points were gained.

i will rejoice when fgr get totally outplayed/have minimal possession, but simply win the game.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm

michael wrote:disappointing but probably expected.

i just get fed up reading that FGR had more possession 53% cf 47%, yet grimsby apparently had 21 shots to fgr 8 of which only 1 was on target.

yet again,(and stats can be wrong ) it seemed fgr played decent,had possession -so most are happy here tonight even though no points were gained.

i will rejoice when fgr get totally outplayed/have minimal possession, but simply win the game.

Yep! There’s only 1 stat that counts!! Goals for/against. Wouldn’t mind the tippy tappy if we created chances , but most of our pocession is around the centre circle !
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm

michael wrote:disappointing but probably expected.

Always the way on here.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 pm

We tried going direct earlier in the season and failed miserably. We don't have the players and don't have the training ethos for it either.

A number of our recent games have seen us score after stringing long passing moves together, as well as getting a few late goals, capitalising on tiring opposition who've spent large parts of the game chasing the ball.

Even today by bossing possession it seems as if we negated their extra man advantage somewhat, had we hoofed it aimlessly we'd almost certainly have conceded more. If the opposition don't have the ball, they can't hurt you.

It takes patience and skill to coach possession football efectively but we're gradually getting there, and results have been improving. We will still lose games from time to time, but in the long run we'll be fine.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Sounds like Brad could work on his distribution though. That and as the usual errors meant possession conceded unnecessarily too often again.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome back Michael and gj3. We must have lost.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

maybe mr/mrs/miss walking you may like to pay more attention posts following other recent games and or look at posting history.

do you think in hindsight you should do a bit more market research prior to posting a standard internet cliches ?

maybe show us a bit more creativity/imagination in your future postings-i am sure you are very capable - and that your most recent post was a simply born out of frustration with todays result
Last edited by michael on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:29 pm

MOTM Dan Wishart?
:D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Not acceptable. These tactics will get us nowhere. Didn't see the game but didn't need to, seen it all before. Sideways, pass sideways, pass sideways then pass back lose the ball and either give away a shot on goal or repeat from starting point. People say hoof ball is boring but id say any form of being constantly beat is pretty tedious...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Just because they beat us doesn't mean they deserved to.

how often do you get what you 'deserve' ?

or is it the case that :

'you get what you get '

and it seems to me that unfortunately-on this occasion FGR got nil points where to the best of my knowledge-it sort of matters that you do get points

that said-if you said to me ,would i rather win today than tuesday-i would rather win the Exeter game all day long over today
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:34 pm

You didnt see the game but feel you can comment on it at length?And we lost 2 out of the last 8.Some people need to get a grip.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:08 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Our cause is not helped by continually giving the ball away and trying to play the ball out of defence in dangerous positions. Too many times I heard Bob say we’d given the ball away.
With the team beset by injuries, for me this was an occasion for parking the bus and Doidge snatching goals on the breakaway.
What’s so frustrating is that we always seem on the back foot chasing the game instead of creating goal scoring chances. Why does this team make life so difficult for itself? Making so many individual mistakes is not sustainable and unless we stop, I can’t see us making much progress. And that includes the keeper giving the ball away.
We have a goal scoring machine and success or failure probably rests on his shoulders.
And please Mr Cooper stop obsessing about referees after every game. It benefits no one and creates a sense of paranoia amongst the players.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:34 pm

tommyd wrote:Not acceptable. These tactics will get us nowhere. Didn't see the game but didn't need to, seen it all before. Sideways, pass sideways, pass sideways then pass back lose the ball and either give away a shot on goal or repeat from starting point. People say hoof ball is boring but id say any form of being constantly beat is pretty tedious...

Dreadful post.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Earl wrote:Our cause is not helped by continually giving the ball away and trying to play the ball out of defence in dangerous positions. Too many times I heard Bob say we’d given the ball away.
With the team beset by injuries, for me this was an occasion for parking the bus and Doidge snatching goals on the breakaway.
What’s so frustrating is that we always seem on the back foot chasing the game instead of creating goal scoring chances. Why does this team make life so difficult for itself? Making so many individual mistakes is not sustainable and unless we stop, I can’t see us making much progress. And that includes the keeper giving the ball away.
We have a goal scoring machine and success or failure probably rests on his shoulders.
And please Mr Cooper stop obsessing about referees after every game. It benefits no one and creates a sense of paranoia amongst the players.

Rediculously negative post.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team