Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Blundell Park (Grimsby Town)

Postby View From The Pitch » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:38 pm

So not only do we have 3 players suspended it looks like the manager will get a ban for his comments after the game. Discipline is really poor all round at the moment.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Well said Fgr-Ledge. :D
Last edited by Norton Boy on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm

View From The Pitch wrote:So not only do we have 3 players suspended it looks like the manager will get a ban for his comments after the game. Discipline is really poor all round at the moment.

Where have you heard he will get a ban?
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:50 pm

When the manager seems to be losing his discipline, who can blame the players for following the example he's set.

I'm getting seriously worried once again.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 pm

michael wrote:maybe mr/mrs/miss walking you may like to pay more attention posts following other recent games and or look at posting history.

do you think in hindsight you should do a bit more market research prior to posting a standard internet cliches ?

maybe show us a bit more creativity/imagination in your future postings-i am sure you are very capable - and that your most recent post was a simply born out of frustration with todays result

We get it. More goals are the only statistic that wins games. It leads to less interesting discussion when you shoot people down for talking about other statistics.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
michael wrote:maybe mr/mrs/miss walking you may like to pay more attention posts following other recent games and or look at posting history.

do you think in hindsight you should do a bit more market research prior to posting a standard internet cliches ?

maybe show us a bit more creativity/imagination in your future postings-i am sure you are very capable - and that your most recent post was a simply born out of frustration with todays result

We get it. More goals are the only statistic that wins games. It leads to less interesting discussion when you shoot people down for talking about other statistics.

No it doesn't. Fawning sycophants are boring.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm

king giraffe III wrote:When the manager seems to be losing his discipline, who can blame the players for following the example he's set.

Have you seen some of the so called refereeing we have had to put up with lately??

Not surprised the team including the Manager are frustrated!! The decisions have been so bad it almost looks like a conspiracy!!!

I'm more worried about how many injuries we have and suspensions given for some dreadful decisions by incompetent referees. :evil:
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:23 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Have you seen some of the so called refereeing we have had to put up with lately??

Not surprised the team including the Manager are frustrated!! The decisions have been so bad it almost looks like a conspiracy!!!

I'm more worried about how many injuries we have and suspensions given for some dreadful decisions by incompetent referees. :evil:

I think that's the problem. They haven't because they weren't there, but still seem to have strongly negative opinions.

Have some already forgotten all the decent performances recently? You would think today was our fifth loss on the bounce the way some are moaning.

Today wasn't a good result but we're massively depleted and were down to 10 men for an hour, the odds weren't exactly in our favour.

The only 2 games we've lost in the past couple of months have been when we've had 2 very dubious red cards go against us, and we've been competetive in every game.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby View From The Pitch » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm

When you say “Only one person who beat us today and it wasn’t us and it wasn’t Grimsby.” you are almost certain to be fined and/or banned.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

View From The Pitch wrote:When you say “Only one person who beat us today and it wasn’t us and it wasn’t Grimsby.” you are almost certain to be fined and/or banned.

That's the problem though.

Incompetent referees are allowed to give rubbish decision after rubbish decision and nothing gets done, they don't seem to be held accountable at all.

Although Mark Maybe overstepped the mark a bit, I actually think he is bang on.
Last edited by FGR-Ledge on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:

I think that's the problem. They haven't because they weren't there, but still seem to have strongly negative opinions.

Have some already forgotten all the decent performances recently? You would think today was our fifth loss on the bounce the way some are moaning.

Today wasn't a good result but we're massively depleted and were down to 10 men for an hour, the odds weren't exactly in our favour.

The only 2 games we've lost in the past couple of months have been when we've had 2 very dubious red cards go against us, and we've been competetive in every game.

Agreed. Some embarrassing posts on here by some people tonight.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Always going to be a struggle when we are missing our two best CMs and attacking talisman. Get those three back along with two or three new ones in January and we'll be fine. On to Exeter...
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Just as one win didn't mark a turn in fortunes from bad form when we were in a rut, one defeat whilst down to ten men with key players missing doesn't mean we should panic.

Yes we are down near the bottom but we are 13th in form table over 6 games and 10th over ten.

Stick with them until January and sign a couple more players of the right quality and we should be fine. Especially with some of the younger players growing in stature as the season moved forward.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:41 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:When the manager seems to be losing his discipline, who can blame the players for following the example he's set.

Yes, we're the only club in League Two who suffers from bad refereeing decisions. We're the only club who gets injuries and suspensions, clearly. The FA are against us, everyone is. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Norton Boy wrote:You didnt see the game but feel you can comment on it at length?And we lost 2 out of the last 8.Some people need to get a grip.

I've watched us all season, I know how we play and if you think that anything I said with regards to today's game was a lengthy comment you have a clear misconception on what lengthy means...your poor wife.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 am

Well.maybe it wasnt lengthy but just felt it when you moaned on and on.(Your poor wife)We lost one game but clearly you should be manager as you know so much
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 am

Norton Boy wrote:Well.maybe it wasnt lengthy but just felt it when you moaned on and on.(Your poor wife)We lost one game but clearly you should be manager as you know so much

You're probably right, thank you. Oh and we've lost 11 games but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:28 am

Imagine that if we win Tuesday the likes of tommyd and LG will crawl back under their rocks until we lose again......
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am

Kentstripe wrote:Imagine that if we win Tuesday the likes of tommyd and LG will crawl back under their rocks until we lose again......

I also comment a lot when the team wins and show very positive support to players on match days but don't let the truth get in your way will you.
I'm a massive supporter of the club and players I just have a different opinion to you as to what our current situation is and that being in the bottom 2 is not where we want to be. I'm well aware we have a long time to turn it around though, although that won't always be the case. Being a realist is not being negative and burying your head in the sand does not make you a better supporter.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:48 am

As a direct witness to the decisions affecting the team at the moment - Manny's straight red at Chesterfield, Dale's dismissal at Swindon and the appalling 2 yellows for Fitzwater yesterday comments about team discipline are uninformed and wrong. Would expect nothing less from he of the stiff, long neck. Only Dale's conduct at the end of the game v Exeter deserves censure - did not see the incident but Foggy's version on another thread gives the detail

Game in game out we record many less fouls than our opponents and the only cynical fouls yesterday came from Grimsby - and they were not punished until late on. Call it bad luck call it bad refereeing - certainly the latter has played its part. For what its worth, the standard of refereeing I have seen this year has been worse than the NL - possibly down to the influence of bigger crowds on similar standard officials?

Yesterday, as usual, Brad Collins did not hoof the ball when he received it but took his time looking for the pass. Egged on by the crowd, the ref interpreted that as time wasting. 5 minutes later, Fitzwater went to take a throw, and within seconds received a card for time wasting - he had not delayed and it seemed a predetermined decision playing to the crowd. Watch the penalty incident and second yellow on youtube and I doubt that you will differ with Coops version of events.

Giraffe. You have a right as everyone else does to give your opinion. But where do you get off on criticising the club, coaches, players other posters and portraying the club in bad light on other forums? Negative people are usually that way to avoid the hurt of losing - expect nothing, get nothing. The rest of us hope for the best and take reverses as part of the long game. But while others work to bring support to the club and support players and management when times are tough - as they are at the moment - your comments try to do the reverse. If you think so badly of FGR no one is stopping you from going elsewhere. Our reward is the sheer joy of good results and success - unfettered because we believed and worked for it and encouraged others to be with us.

Yesterday we arrived with a scratch team made up of those available and others not yet fully fit. Grimsby to the disgust of their crowd played hoof ball (their supporters' words not mine) which Rovers dealt with without alarm. Then came the 'penalty' that decided the game.

I feared the worst in the second half - down to 10 and hardly the first choice defence. But the guys were magnificent and deserved at least a draw. Sure as we pushed forward, we found ourselves outnumbered at the back on a hoofed break. But Brad did well and someone always raced back to provide some cover - often Dan Wishart or Alex I. And if you really want some good news, 17 year old Jordan Stephens was the best player on the pitch after he came on. He is ready and looks super fit. As a result, the 210 miles back were not as dreaded but confirmation that whatever the hand dealt, this team has plenty of fight

So we have lost Jack for Exeter and that match looks a steep hill to climb without Alex too. Stranger things have happened. Manny will be back for Luton, hopefully Osbourne & KMB too. But on current form and fitness, I'd chose Jordan Stephens ahead of the inconsistent Traore and Charlie Cooper (who was clearly not yet match fit yesterday). Fitzwater will be back after a 1 game ban to cover for Dale.

Exeter and Luton are big games for the club for different reasons. So, as Phil Mitchell did so effectively after the Newport debacle, lets rally the support around the club, coaches and players. They need us
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team