To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

All about our First Team

To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 pm

What is the matter with you all? :roll:

We're doing great. We're in a new league, holding our own and proving we deserve to be here. :)

We have a manager who is getting results despite being written off by a few not so long ago. :oops:
(not me though. I always had faith)

We've beaten teams we were expected to lose to. :o

We're still in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy. :shock:

We're just as good as those above us, just had a bit of bad luck. :(

We have players who go out there week after week and give their all. They're committed, try 100% and want to win. What more can we ask for? :?:

We have injuries at the moment to significant players but they will be back! :)

The team we had that were on a winning streak before the injuries/suspensions will also be back. :)

Who can blame MC for reacting to refs decisions that always seem to be against us? Passion is better than indifference. Good on him. 8-)

I despair when reading some of the posts on here :cry: especially when it's only one game we've lost. :roll:

I'm so proud to be a Rovers fan that I don't think I'll ever feel negative despite results. :)

It will soon be Xmas. Apparently that is supposed to be more important than football. ;)

Be positive. Be optimistic. Look on the bright side and you'll have a much happier one! :D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
User avatar
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Reference NewForestRover. Excellent post, agree with every point made. This is a historic season for Forest Green Rovers and it's about time supporters appreciated this and gave 100% support to the players and management to maintain our status in Division 2.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:33 pm

What is the matter with you all? We're in the relegation zone

We're doing great. We're in a new league, holding our own and proving we deserve to be here. Holding our own? We're going down at this rate, that is hardly holding your own.

We have a manager who is getting results despite being written off by a few not so long ago. It's been better (sort of) recently but those results you speak of still have us IN THE RELEGATION ZONE

We've beaten teams we were expected to lose to. and lost to teams we expected to beat.

We're still in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy. I'd swap both of those for a better league position.

We're just as good as those above us, just had a bit of bad luck. :lol:

We have players who go out there week after week and give their all. They're committed, try 100% and want to win. What more can we ask for? Better players

We have injuries at the moment to significant players but they will be back! It's a squad game
The team we had that were on a winning streak before the injuries/suspensions will also be back. No charlie cooper will never be dropped while fit.

Who can blame MC for reacting to refs decisions that always seem to be against us? Passion is better than indifference. Good on him. Or does it prove the pressure is too much for him?

I despair when reading some of the posts on here :cry: especially when it's only one game we've lost. :roll: we've actually lost 11...

I'm so proud to be a Rovers fan that I don't think I'll ever feel negative despite results. Whatever your on I'll have some.

It will soon be Xmas. Apparently that is supposed to be more important than football. ;)

Be positive. Be optimistic. Look on the bright side and you'll have a much happier one! :D bah humbug
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby stanman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 pm

That's Post of the Season, NewForestRover! Thank you.
We can add "Doidge's League 2 Player of the Month :) "
There is no 'I' in team
User avatar
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Minchinhampton

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:50 pm

stanman wrote:That's Post of the Season, NewForestRover! Thank you.
We can add "Doidge's League 2 Player of the Month :) "

Yes! I forgot that gives you immunity from relegation, phew!
Seriously, cup runs, individual awards and trying hard are meaningless if it's not enough to keep you in the league.
If Cheltenham for example were in our position, wafer thin squad, all huff and puff but not much end product, a manager getting set off every week and sat in the relegation zone we'd all be saying what a state they're in! I'm not saying it's all bad but there is nothing at all wrong with being real and the reality is over the first half of the season we have not been good enough and that's not my opinion that is shown in fact by the league table...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 am

Have a word with yourself tommyd, you're supposed to be a fan but any chance to whinge and you jump on it.

Is everything perfect? No. Have we improved? Yes. Is this an exciting time to be an FGR fan? Yes.

League 2 aint easy but we're getting to grips with it, it's going to be a battle but everyone needs to stand up and be counted, and get behind the team. Constant sniping achieves nothing. The last thing the club needs right now is people like you being backseat drivers.

DV has a clear plan, the management team have a clear plan and it's gradually coming together. So called fans trying to make the process harder is unneccessary and unhelpful imo. There will be ups and downs, and like a lot of promoted clubs in a lot of leagues our first season up is about survival. We've shown more then enough to suggest we're well capable of that, and what it needs is everyone to get behind the side and help them carry on improving, rather then knocking them every time anything goes wrong.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby garyjj » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 am

Can i just add Lincoln are in a play off position? Their first time up in a while, without doidge I'd hate to think where we would be. If he goes in January it may be Barrow away next year :(, hopefully we can add to the squad in January, buzzing for Tuesday now just hope the players we pick are up for it as much as me!
Last edited by garyjj on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 am

Tommyd. You need to get a grip of yourself, encouragement is far more productive than your negativity. If you don't want to support the team take your downbeat attitude elsewhere.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby michael » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:09 am

why do so many associate reality with negativity ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5752
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 am

michael wrote:why do so many associate reality with negativity ?


Because "the reality" depends on how you want to view it. The fact is if our form goes back to where it was at the start of the season, then we will go down. However if our form of the last 10 games continues we will stay up comfortably. The only thing that counts is where we are in May, not where we are now.

Obviously the league position needs to improve, but there has been more then enough improvement in our performances and form to suggest that there are reasons to be positive and get behind the club.

Some people obviously prefer to be negative, look for reasons as to why we might fail and to generally snipe at the management/players, which is of course their choice but is unlikely to help encourage the team.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 am

How can you say I don't support the team and should go elsewhere just because my opinion is different to yours? I encourage the team on match days in a very positive manner, I sing (not many can say that!) I buy food and merchandise, I bring my kids on occasion so I'd say that's pretty good all round support I have for the club. Being a fan isn't about being blind to facts. I want the best like everyone else, doesn't mean I'll bury my head in the sand.
I don't deny things have been better and we have had some bad luck and I know it's not ALL neagative but when you're in the relegation zone with half the season gone it's certainly not all rosey either.
I can accept you're happy with the current situation even though I don't have the same opinion. why can't you accept my opinion is different without telling me to go away and support someone else and making accusations of me being a poor supporter when you don't even know who I am? I'd say that is quite a negative characteristic, wouldn't you?
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am

Wow you sing, here is your medal!!

So do I as it happens, except I am realistic and can see we are missing half our first team squad. -and played with spirit yesterday and were indeed unlucky to lose.

I am realistic that our form has massively improved over the last ten days. Believe me if we had just lost our 5th game in a row with a full, fit squad I would see your point.

January is indeed important to strengthen in some key areas, but the negativity from some after just one unlucky defeat is tedious, and not realistic at all!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby camel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:09 am

10th in form table over 10.
13th over 6.

That survival form.

Find a squad tighter than this one who give so much for the cause?! I doubt there are (m)any.

Then add in the fact we have the form striker of the football league.

The throw in good runs in the FA Cup and Checkatrade for good measure.

How about the fact we have made a signing for January already.

A couple of class signings in January and we will be fine.

Yes this season will be hard, we are still down in a relegation battle, but we have to all stick it out. Yes that can include some realism, but our response to a 1-0 away defeat at a tough opponent with ten men also needs to be measured.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:10 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:Wow you sing, here is your medal!!

So do I as it happens, except I am realistic and can see we are missing half our first team squad. -and played with spirit yesterday and were indeed unlucky to lose.

I am realistic that our form has massively improved over the last ten days. Believe me if we had just lost our 5th game in a row with a full, fit squad I would see your point.

January is indeed important to strengthen in some key areas, but the negativity from some after just one unlucky defeat is tedious, and not realistic at all!!


Firstly you can't mock me for saying I sing and then make the exact same claim. Unless you're after a medal too? As I've said I'm not all doom and gloom and it's really funny how people pick out of posts what they want to confirm their argument but ignore all the conflicting points.
I'm not calling for coopers head, I'm not saying I think we'll go down and I'm not saying we deserve to I've commended the fight in the team many times. Can you point out to one thing I've said in this post that is not fact? So me stating facts is not being negative it's simply that, stating facts and the fact is that being in the bottom 2 is not ideal, is it?
Last edited by tommyd on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 am

camel wrote:10th in form table over 10.
13th over 6.

That survival form.

Find a squad tighter than this one who give so much for the cause?! I doubt there are (m)any.

Then add in the fact we have the form striker of the football league.

The throw in good runs in the FA Cup and Checkatrade for good measure.

How about the fact we have made a signing for January already.

A couple of class signings in January and we will be fine.

Yes this season will be hard, we are still down in a relegation battle, but we have to all stick it out. Yes that can include some realism, but our response to a 1-0 away defeat at a tough opponent with ten men also needs to be measured.


Agreed
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 am

I agree with camel, most of us who are at least not totally divorced from reality knew that this would be a season where we might struggle and just remaining in the League for a second season a significant achievement. Despite losing yesterday, to a seasoned competitor and playing for about an hour with ten men, should not be a reason to descend into the depths of despair. We will undoubtedly have a run of games where results don't go in our favour, December already looks pretty difficult and our next visitors are Luton who seem to score goals for fun. I have only seen the home games so far and in them we had just one stinker, against Newport, in all the rest we were at least competitive even if the results didn't quite deliver what was deserved. The worry at the moment is that the squad looks a bit threadbare, seasoned campaigners are missing, it is at these times that those who do play will need our support...even more so when things don't go our way, show the players our love and things should be fine.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby michael » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 am

it reads to me that all the happy clappers have decided that where maybe the likes of tommyd,myself and KG3 are simply saying that yesterday was disappointing (it always is when you lose ) ,i can't read where anyone is talking about depths of despair and becoming suicidal.

a qualified psychologist might suggest that those 'positive people' attempt to hide their true feelings and thoughts by exaggerating the posts of any who raise an eyebrow about anything,and indeed they are the ones that need attention from the men in white coats ; but who am i to comment on that .

foggy-if i recall correctly ,i am not so sure that many of us did think that fgr would struggle this season-myself amongst them-i was anticipating lower mid table, but most were thinking upper half and play offs.
The quality of the league certainly caught me out (and the manager/chairman ?).
despite a recognised recent improvement in form-the reality is that fgr are in bottom 2.
other clubs will alao have players coming back from injury

Yep-a bit of strengthening in january will help we hope, but other clubs will be doing exactly the same thing so it will be 'as you are'

as it happens-i don't think fgr will go down-i believe barnet and crawley are probably worse equipped than fgr to survive,but its going to be close
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5752
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am

Michael,

I have stolen the following from the prediction forum, which does back up your view, regarding our final league position this season:

4th Fartvs Antiqvvs
5th Candy
6th Freddy
7th Greeners Jnr (12)
8th smertens07929
9th Sparky (16), NewForestRover (13)
10th Voodoobluesman
11th Redunited (18)
12th John Whiffen (14) Timb (19)
13th Linfield (16)
14th Pitchfork
15th Old Tom Cat
16th onlineracingclub, Greeners (15)
17th Tommo (20), Urban Spaceman (18)
18th silver surfer
19th Roy of the Rovers

I would suggest from that only a handful of those who chose to make a prediction had a true understanding of the magnitude of what faced us this season...I would be blissfully happy if our final position matched what the bottom half dozen names suggested.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:24 am

I agree, valid points. We have had a good run in the cup and recently in the league. We are in need of more players, and we could tell that early in the season. Now with so many injuries and suspensions, winning is a lot to ask from the remaining players, but that's what we need them too do. So let's get behind them, as I'm sure everyone here does.

For those that feel like more changes need to be made, I would be interested to here about them.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

tommyd wrote:What is the matter with you all? We're in the relegation zone

We're doing great. We're in a new league, holding our own and proving we deserve to be here. Holding our own? We're going down at this rate, that is hardly holding your own.

We have a manager who is getting results despite being written off by a few not so long ago. It's been better (sort of) recently but those results you speak of still have us IN THE RELEGATION ZONE


Yes but you have to accept that this is following a very poor August and September and recently, results have been better. Its a struggle but what did we expect? Lets support the team rather than get on their back - things are likely to get worse before they get better but we are playing at a level we have never experienced before and we should enjoy it.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8700
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Next

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], camel, SNJ Ash, The Game Within, Tim13 and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.