To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

All about our First Team

Re: To All The Pessimists Looking On The Dark Side

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:12 pm

michael wrote:it reads to me that all the happy clappers have decided that where maybe the likes of tommyd,myself and KG3 are simply saying that yesterday was disappointing (it always is when you lose ) ,i can't read where anyone is talking about depths of despair and becoming suicidal.

a qualified psychologist might suggest that those 'positive people' attempt to hide their true feelings and thoughts by exaggerating the posts of any who raise an eyebrow about anything,and indeed they are the ones that need attention from the men in white coats ; but who am i to comment on that .

foggy-if i recall correctly ,i am not so sure that many of us did think that fgr would struggle this season-myself amongst them-i was anticipating lower mid table, but most were thinking upper half and play offs.
The quality of the league certainly caught me out (and the manager/chairman ?).
despite a recognised recent improvement in form-the reality is that fgr are in bottom 2.
other clubs will alao have players coming back from injury

Yep-a bit of strengthening in january will help we hope, but other clubs will be doing exactly the same thing so it will be 'as you are'

as it happens-i don't think fgr will go down-i believe barnet and crawley are probably worse equipped than fgr to survive,but its going to be close

Things I have learnt from this forum...

1. We don't need to sign any players in January to strengthen the squad, regardless of how thin it is.
2. We are always hard done by thanks to a conspiracy of referees who do everything to make our life as difficult as it can be.
3. We are the only club in League Two with injuries and suspensions.
4. Players who get themselves needlessly sent off or banned should never be criticised.
5. The table that matters is the one that has us higher up in it, regardless of whether it's form, home results, away results or league points.

Michael, you raise an interesting point with regard to psychology. Indeed, that would seem to be the truth!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm

tommyd wrote:What is the matter with you all? We're in the relegation zone

We're doing great. We're in a new league, holding our own and proving we deserve to be here. Holding our own? We're going down at this rate, that is hardly holding your own.

We have a manager who is getting results despite being written off by a few not so long ago. It's been better (sort of) recently but those results you speak of still have us IN THE RELEGATION ZONE

We've beaten teams we were expected to lose to. and lost to teams we expected to beat.

We're still in the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy. I'd swap both of those for a better league position.

We're just as good as those above us, just had a bit of bad luck. :lol:

We have players who go out there week after week and give their all. They're committed, try 100% and want to win. What more can we ask for? Better players

We have injuries at the moment to significant players but they will be back! It's a squad game
The team we had that were on a winning streak before the injuries/suspensions will also be back. No charlie cooper will never be dropped while fit.

Who can blame MC for reacting to refs decisions that always seem to be against us? Passion is better than indifference. Good on him. Or does it prove the pressure is too much for him?

I despair when reading some of the posts on here :cry: especially when it's only one game we've lost. :roll: we've actually lost 11...

I'm so proud to be a Rovers fan that I don't think I'll ever feel negative despite results. Whatever your on I'll have some.

It will soon be Xmas. Apparently that is supposed to be more important than football. ;)

Be positive. Be optimistic. Look on the bright side and you'll have a much happier one! :D bah humbug

Couldn't say it better. I've incurred the wrath of NFR by saying I'm 'worried' by our current league position. If I wasn't so decent I'd be trolling her.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Interesting point by garyjj re Lincoln being in a play off spot.
I see they have scored just 3 goals more than us in the league but it's the other end that makes the difference - we have pretty much conceded twice as many !
They came to us and held out for a smash & grab 1-0 win and although we have improved recently compared to those games at Colchester, Wycombe & Cambridge and home v Newport we still shipped 3 v Chesterfield and Exeter and 2 against a poor Crewe side.
Still plenty to work on but just shows what can be achieved without scoring 7's and 8's like Luton .............. who happen to be at TNL next Saturday !!!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

As the tannoy says in "One flew over the cuckoos nest film", - medication time !!!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby TheFarmcotian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I haven't posted for ages because of the unnecessary pessimism on here has been grindingly boring and depressing. I don't plan to join in so...

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE FGR SIDE OF LIFE

Some results in a season are bad
And decisions can make you sad
And referees can make you swear and curse
When you reading King Giraffe’s piffle
Don't grumble, ignore his carping grizzle
And I’m sure things will turn out for the best!

And...

Always look on the bright side of life
(Whistle)
Always look on the light side of life
(Whistle)

If the sport seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to be like NF Rover and hope and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just gird your loins and cheer up- that’s the thing
And...

(Whistle)
(Come on Rovers!)
Always look on the right side of life
(Whistle)

For football is quite absurd
And relegation is the final word
You must always face each match with a grin
Forget about your moaning
Give us fans hope when times are thin
Enjoy it - it's our best chance to take the match

So always look on the bright side like me
(Whistle)
Just before my vegan lunch and organic tea (Whistle)

Losing's a piece of ****
However you look at it
Football’s a laugh we need those three points, it's true
You'll see it's all a show
Coops should keep us laughing as we go
Just remember that we can still pull through

And...
(Whistle)
Always look on the right side of life
(C'mon Thommo, cheer up)

(Worse things happen at Cheltenham you know!)

(I mean - what have we got to lose?
You know, we came from nothing
- we could go back to nothing
What have we lost? Nothing)

(Nothing will come from nothing, ya know what they say tommyd
Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin!
There ya go, see!)

For goodness sake some of you - get over yourselves. We’re in Division 2, we have some of the best food in world football, some of the friendliest fans and banter - let’s talk the team up not down.

End of subject from me - let’s enjoy what we have.
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Excellent TheFarmcotian!

That is brilliant. I love it! :D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 pm

:lol: :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm

Great to have you back Farmcotian....this contribution is a classic, summing up the forum at this stage in the season
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Great work Farmcotian. Absolutely brilliant.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Very good T/F. As I posted about a couple of weeks ago on the Poetry Corner thread, how is the compendium of FGR poetry contributers going as an ultimate hard-back publication?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TheFarmcotian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Very good T/F. As I posted about a couple of weeks ago on the Poetry Corner thread, how is the compendium of FGR poetry contributers going as an ultimate hard-back publication?

Sorry FA for the long delay. I am not sure that it is.. I am going to have a word with Crispin at the Luton match next week to see what we can do about self publishing. There is a lot of material. However, I think the market is presently exhausted on FGR books - maybe we could do something at the end of season. I promise to keep you posted.
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby montyc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Seems to me we are in the Brown Smelly stuff at the moment, time for MC to start to earn his corn me think's to get out of the relegation mode and up the table to safety. Did someone mention promotion out of this league would be easy, don't see many "Old Spot's" flying over TNL of late. :lol:
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks for that T/F. Good Idea if you can self publish and as you say, FGR books at saturation point presently. It was just a passing thought of, "I wonder how it is going?"

Good luck anyhow.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm

montyc wrote:Seems to me we are in the Brown Smelly stuff at the moment, time for MC to start to earn his corn me think's to get out of the relegation mode and up the table to safety. Did someone mention promotion out of this league would be easy, don't see many "Old Spot's" flying over TNL of late. :lol:

I think he said "getting out of this league" rather than promotion. We may yet find it easy to get out of league 2, but mot in the way we hoped.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm

It's getting boring how people keep bringing it up that quote from DV and taking it that what he meant was we'd easily get promoted this season, when it was pretty blatant at the time that's not what he was actually saying.

I'm sure the longer term aim is to become challengers, but it's going to take time. The club needs to build solid foundations at this level, trying to shoot up the leagues as quickly as possible is only going to go one way. Build slowly and sustainably.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm

steady on SS-wash your mouth out with soapy water-the majority are telling us everything will be alright.

anyway-we've debated and bitched after the Grimsby game-and to be fair-it was only one game-so on to Exeter-where as ever i hope for a win (any win will do ),and if you asked me whether i would rather beat Exeter on tuesday or Grimsby last saturday-i would chose to win the Exeter cup game all day long-despite the perilous league position
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

michael wrote:if you asked me whether i would rather beat Exeter on tuesday or Grimsby last saturday-i would chose to win the Exeter cup game all day long-despite the perilous league position

Absolutely, you can recover from a league defeat but lose a cup game and you're out. Plus the prize money would be useful.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

I am most certainly a 'half full person' where FGR are concerned: however I'm realistic enough to realise this season will be a struggle in the league. We will do well to finish lower mid table, but I am confident we will be above the relegation positions come April.

December will be tough with a small squad, injuries and suspensions. I hope true supporters show their colours and do not lose faith, January will bring in some much needed new blood. We have to be patient!

As for this week, on paper Exeter are odds on favourites to win the replay: and limited options, the bench will be a small one. However I fully expect us to be competitive and travelling fans will not be disappointed with the effort.

Saturday is a different kettle of fish. Luton are the top team in the division - yet they do play football on the deck and this will suit our style. A draw would be a fantastic result, we must not be despondent if Luton dominate and take 3 points.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Pitchfork wrote:As for this week, on paper Exeter are odds on favourites to win the replay: and limited options, the bench will be a small one. However I fully expect us to be competitive and travelling fans will not be disappointed with the effort.

Saturday is a different kettle of fish. Luton are the top team in the division - yet they do play football on the deck and this will suit our style. A draw would be a fantastic result, we must not be despondent if Luton dominate and take 3 points.

It makes a change from where we have been for the last few seasons, expecting to win most games. But how enjoyable is it to get that draw we didn't expect or to win against the odds. It's a high that you don't get when it just feels a bit like "job done" as it has in the past.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:43 pm

I refer my fellow senators to my post on the 'January Window' thread regarding this topic. Rest my case M'lud. :!:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team