January 'window' signings

All about our First Team

January 'window' signings

Postby michael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm

I think most of us are'expecting/hoping/praying that there will be team strengthening in January.

essentially players who can improve the current team-not fluffy loan signings to help with the football education of junior players who aren't ready for EFL2.

i wonder what the reality will be ?
MC has stated he is happy with his current squad.

Nowhere has the manager (or chairman ) suggested that they intend to sign 2/3 players in Janauary.

most of us (self included ) have assumed that will be happening/needs to happen .

BUT WILL IT ?

what if maybe just one squad/loan type player is signed in addition to Grubb.

How will we feel then.

(maybe SNJAsh might ask that direct question of MC in an up and coming interview-although i doubt whether MC will give an accurate answer,albeit i read that the Swindon manager has stated he intends to sign at least 3 in January)
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: January 'window' signings

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm

We've already secured the signing of one of the top 3 goalscorers in the top 6 divisions of English football. Not a bad start.

I'm sure we'll be looking to sign one or two more. The current team, when everyone is fit, is more then good enough to stay up imo, but a couple of quality additions would of course be welcome and could see us push up into midtable.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

I don't think that it's going to be the golden hope that many of us on here seem to think it will.

Perhaps some haven't noticed that the "moneybags" tag seems to have gone this season. We seem to be standing on our feet a bit more now, with no huge sums discussed.

I'd expect some canny signings, probably a few younger development players than anything earth-shattering! Hopefully a couple of decent loans too.

I think that we just need to flesh out what is a potentially good side already.

It's not going to be a "everything is all OK from January 1st". January's a long month, any new players need to settle into the way we play. Expect a tough, but exciting rest of season.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm

at least with Grubb-i imagine he will be able to train with the 1st team squad once 'schools out ',as well as honour his playing commitments to WSM.

thus-come jan 1st-maybe he won't be joining 'cold' and will have an idea of the team plays ,and already learnt how poor FGR are at defending set pieces.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Come on Michael, it's the Christmas Season now. Bit of belief and not the doubter proved wrong here:

Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Good post, totally agree, I think I am guilty of assuming that we will get more players in the January transfers. Personally, as well as the new guy from Weston, I would like to get a new left back, another midfielder and try playing Stevens for the full 90.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Two things here. Withdrawal of planning permission to build on TNL could threaten financial future, not a good time to be asking for money. And Doidge, the club lost £100k (and say 5 points) over Nobel. We all know that CD is the consummate professional, but there will be unsettling murmers and tasty offers and the club may be tempted to sell. Hopefully this then could fund squad building, though it's not shown who will score the goals in his absence.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Good post Vdbm, fully agree.

I also think it's important for fans not to write off any new signings that come in if they don't immediately set the world alight. Most will take time to settle and get up to speed with the way we play, the likes of Lee Collins, Reece Brown and Isaiah Osbourne are good examples of that, written off by some initially but now key players.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Good post Vdbm, fully agree.

I also think it's important for fans not to write off any new signings that come in if they don't immediately set the world alight. Most will take time to settle and get up to speed with the way we play, the likes of Lee Collins, Reece Brown and Isaiah Osbourne are good examples of that, written off by some initially but now key players.

I vaguely remember Doidge didn't set the world on fire at first either. We do seem quick to judge based on one or two games and maybe we should back our scouting system a bit more.

If Doidge does move on I think we need to recognise his contribution but also not fall into a pit of despair. He has been brilliant and will be hard to replace, but he will have earned any move when the time comes. The world moves on...
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm

The Cumbrian wrote:Two things here. Withdrawal of planning permission to build on TNL could threaten financial future, not a good time to be asking for money. And Doidge, the club lost £100k (and say 5 points) over Nobel. We all know that CD is the consummate professional, but there will be unsettling murmers and tasty offers and the club may be tempted to sell. Hopefully this then could fund squad building, though it's not shown who will score the goals in his absence.

Withdrawal of planning permission to build on TNL? Was this for housing? When did this occur?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:26 pm

This week in the Citizen, I think it is has been put on hold like the business park as Dale said it was holding up the building of the new ground.As I recall the council wouldn't give him planning permission whilst the club played football there.He has also moved the planned ground to the other side of the road from where it was originally going to be.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Good post, totally agree, I think I am guilty of assuming that we will get more players in the January transfers. Personally, as well as the new guy from Weston, I would like to get a new left back, another midfielder and try playing Stevens for the full 90.

I don't think there is any chance of a new left back coming in with Laird and Wishart contracted. In theory, we need a replacement for Fitzwater when he goes back to WBA (unless the loan is extended) but I don't think we will get much more.

I see no point in signing more 'development' players like Simpson, Stevens, Morris, Mehew et al - we need 2 experienced players who can make an impact THIS season IMHO. Players who will fight to keep us in this league.

Although with our recent disciplinary record, perhaps 'fight' is the wrong word? :oops:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm

I just hope its a bit of a better effort than the summer-where it looked to me that the quality of the league was underestimated-it was left to late august having accumulated one point-seen that 'we were not very good/equipped',had a small panic-got a few loan signings of mixed ability, and carried on into the autumn.

just have a concern it may be same in january-most of players will be back from injury-MC and supporters think the team is thus strong enough-FGR lose a few January games-and then its exactly the same at januarymonth end-a few loan signings made who realistically will not make a difference.

2 good signings -shoe-ins for the team in first week would be ideal-but don't think it will happen
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Norton Boy wrote:This week in the Citizen, I think it is has been put on hold like the business park as Dale said it was holding up the building of the new ground.As I recall the council wouldn't give him planning permission whilst the club played football there.He has also moved the planned ground to the other side of the road from where it was originally going to be.

Thanks. Didn't know this as I don't read Glos Live.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Nor do i but saw it advertised on page 1 in newsagents so flicked to the story for a glance.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm

DV is never going to splash the cash - so do not expect big signings. There are lots of players out there who could step-up, or who would be willing to come here from higher leagues to step-down for money. It is just up to MC and his team to assess the right ones who would enhance our squad.We might just need one or two who are signed for their experience and stay for one or two years, to help us stabilise what we have already achieved.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 pm

I think thats exactly what happened in the summer GC -the result of which has enabled FGR to secure 23rd place in EFL2.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 am

Definitely need a starting cb to strengthen the defence. Probably need a central midfielder too as a couple of injuries have shown up our complete lack of depth there and Oz and Drissa are going to need rests at some point anyway.
Apart from that I can't see us getting much else, a right back as competition/backup for Bennett might be useful though. What on earth happened to that Evans guy we signed?
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 am

Mr Owers does not play him-sub at torquay most games
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Norton Boy wrote:Nor do i but saw it advertised on page 1 in newsagents so flicked to the story for a glance.

Newspapers. How quaint.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team