January 'window' signings

All about our First Team

Re: January 'window' signings

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Michael - as they said on The Royle Family Xmas edition - " Good point, well made ". What i meant was to sign very good and experienced players in January, not run-of-the-mill journeymen as we did last summer. Mostly we had never heard of those signed......and it has come to bite us in the b.m. With our resources, contacts and reputation of how we play, we should recruit far better than we have done. ( At present we have too many players on the books incapable to perform at this level, and it is really going to hurt us in the long run ). Even good loan-signings from higher league clubs would be welcome - i clearly remember when BCFC signed an unknown CF from Arsenal on loan in Andy Cole, and he set Ashton Gate alight - something like that please !!!.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:58 pm

It's all very well wanting that, but I don't think the top-notchers looking for a new contract would fancy playing for us, in our present league position, with half the season about gone.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am

I have always found that money talks.....
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am

true-and another reason why it may be difficult .

-is the money still there to make a difference.
a lot of clubs in this league have a lot of money -more of an even keel.

if you get attendances of 5000 plus ,allowing for season tickets/concessions etc-many clubs are getting in excess of £50k,plus food/bar takings-probably nearer £70k- per home game.multiply that by 23 and the difference is quite marked
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

You are so true - look at BRFC and Luton for examples - big crowds and plenty of money to invest accordingly.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 am

Having seen a good cross section of League 2 opposition, I am not as dismissive of our current squad as some seem to be

The biggest issue over the first 2 months was physicality. All our players can play but the size and power of some opponents appeared to be quite a culture shock. And away from home, guys like Akinfenwa get more sympathetic refereeing. Since September we have been doing ok in cup and league despite absentees and we will continue to improve.

The balance has changed. Undoubtedly Osbourne for the disruptive Noble proved good business. Osbourne's presence encouraged the players around him too - KMB, Reece Brown, Charlie Cooper and others, and steadied the defence. He helped to get Doidge back into the groove too. Ozzy's return is eagerly awaited but the likes of Lee Collins, Brad Collins, Scott Laird, Dan Wishart, Alex I, Jack Fitzwater and Jordan Stephens have all taken a step up.

If we can get over the current plague of injuries and suspensions, there is much to play for. Even without several first team first choices, to outplay the Exeter team twice after the early season 'humbling' is proof the squad is competitive. Biggest issue in recent games has been (in Coops' words) that "the number 10s" have to take shots when they can not try to find Doidge every time. In short, we are shot shy despite promising build ups. KMB, Reece Brown, James, Laird, Omar Bugiel & Wishart all have stinging shots in their lockers and my guess is we can expect to see them having a try more often

Currently unavailable through injury & suspension are Manny Monthe, Alex I, Ozzy, Drissa, & Bennett. But none are long term absentees so as Coops suggests, January cannot come quick enough. Then we have Grubb waiting in the wings too

So who would I like from Santa? Maybe a big beast at the back and/or Ethan Pinnock on loan. Otherwise, that we are able to hang on to Doidge at least until May as he'd be hardest to replace - anyway, Coops is committed to 1 up top so I'm not sure another striker will help much? Oh, one more thing - new shooting boots for the above named
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm

That's pretty much how I see it too. IO was the key to our change in form, along with dumping Liam Noble. Not a change in style or tactics.

Our squad can play well and gel well and have the necessary pluck to compliment the skill. Another midfield grafter and enforcer in January maybe as back up for Drissa and Isaiah's inevitable short term absences.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:50 pm

I'd expect loans rather than permanent signings. On paper grubb looks like he could have potential but most teams will look to hold their better players until end of season plus I can't see many wanting to sign long term for a team that could well play a league below next season when, if they're good enough could go to at least a mid table one. It's not often that the January window helps a team completely turn their season around.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 pm

I agree with tommyd.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Cooper said he expects 4 or 5 new faces.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Logic says the same.

that given-according to Mr Cooper tonight post Luton game-on official site as most will have heard he states :

' there will be 4 or 5 coming (is that in addition to Grubb ,or is that just being greedy.)

that given-i would rather have 2 of quality, as opposed to 4/5 young loanees, past sell by date type players.

But even so,4/5 sounds impressive and some cause for optimism
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team