Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City) FAC

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City) FAC

Postby Tommo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:45 pm

The Cumbrian wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:Not sure what game you were watching Cumbrian. The midfield was terrific and Exeter were sliced open time and again - problem was no one was prepared to shoot and continuously 'passed the buck'

Same one as you mate, they weren't sliced open, we waved the knife about a lot to but rarely did any slicing - to continue the analogy. The problem wasn't all shooting - we rarely got close enough - as much as finding the killer ball or even taking a punt with a ball into the box, even from set pieces - and having more than one player who can do anything with that ball. When Stephens / Doidge managed to combine we won a pen and went one up. Nobel could play those balls, as can Osbourne and Triore to some extent, Dale also delivers great crosses. Last night we missed that with only Wis delivering crosses from the left apart from a few from Laird when it got to 'desperate times'.

Its down to lack of depth in the squad and the rather limited skill set that some of our midfielders have.

Just to add, before the game I thought a win last night would have been a great achievement, but given the position when Exeter went down to 10, its a huge disappointment to lose.

Another great post TC I think. I love the analogy - that sums up our style.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

I've read and heard a lot of talk about us missing players, which we have. But all of the players that played last night with the exception of Stevens were deemed first team squad players at the start of the season. Arguably Stevens started ahead of others on merit because of the progress he has made, not because of injuries. E.g. Roberts was signed as an experienced CB so in theory he could have played their with Laird or Collins in CM. Hasn't Traore come in for stick from MC recently as well? So I wonder whether he would be been picked ahead of Cooper Jnr anyway.

Before the game we were underdogs, but I still think questions need to be asked, given the position we got into. 1-0 up with an extra man and we should have been able to come away with the win. It's a bit too easy to say we had injuries and use that as an excuse. Ultimately we either have the wrong approach in terms of lacking bite in the final third, have the wrong mentality, or we have signed the wrong players / some players not up to it. Cooper should bear some of that responsibility rather than simply blame Monthe for getting sent off. That red card may have contributed, but it only levelled the playing field and was very late on. If we had done the business in normal time it wouldn't have happened. It was our inability to grab the game by the horns when we had the goal and player advantage that cost us.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Looking forward to Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm

I ended up last night listening to the match from my computer in bed - it was gripping to the end !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 pm

too much information and unfortunately-no happy ending ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Just another point now I've cheered up a bit.

I really liked the narrow lanes around the ground with bars and food stalls. Great mixing with the Exeter fans and a real buzz around the place. It felt like a real destination and event. Probably best pre game experience in a long time.

I also thought the stand behind the goal was quite impressive.

Disappointing result, but we go again Saturday.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 am

The St Austell stout was very nice.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 am

seems like most are doing Mr Coopers team talk for him-just hand out this threasd pre-game ,and say-'now prove them wrong'.

not normally one for predicting specific results-but i similarly reckon a 2-2 draw
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:The St Austell stout was very nice.

Had a drink at Giraffe.
£8.80p for two small beers.
Never again.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team