Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City) FAC

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from St. James Park (Exeter City) FAC

Postby dursleydog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 am

If it had been a league game we'd have come away feeling unlucky to only draw 1-1 with what feels like half our squad out through injury or suspension and frankly I think we would've been pretty pleased with that.
Absolutely gutted that we had 2 games where we played well but conceded late goals in both, promising signs and plenty of fight but counting for naff all in the end :(
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 am

The first half was outstanding, but 0-1 was not the result we should have had for all the effort. Excellent possession, great playing the ball up the field, until that line - the one that the goalkeeper is not allowed to handle outside of - then we get scared and pass back. Rinse and repeat.

Defences change behaviour if they think you are going to try and score. If it’s just a pass back and start again, why should defences worry? They can just watch us pass ourselves out.

So we didn’t reach the 2nd half 2 up, but no worries, even though Exeter played more up to us and changed the game balance we were soon a man up. But we never made anything of it. At times we had three spare men on the left/back - which just gave them a numerical advantage of one where the action was. Wishart was rushing about in loads of space, but Exeter knew to leave him alone because he was never given the ball.

The inevitable happened.

I’m probably naive in thinking that if you give a young inexperienced team the challenge to score goals they might just do that. If you tell them that keeping possession and wearing the opposition down is more important, they’ll probably do that, and then not score the goals they need to.

Great trip out, nice pasty, enjoyed the half-a-ground that St James is, looking forward to seeing the full, finished version in the future.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 am

Luton town will be licking their lips. I can see them putting 5/6 past us Saturday no joke.
The squad is threadbare at best at the moment and we need some serious reinforcements come January. Doidge must be knackered played nearly every single game this season checkatrade trophy will come back to bite us in the backside. League survival is the only thing to worry about. Although Saturday will only add to our horrendous goal difference.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:Whayy, here come the negative idiots, regular as clockwork!!!

Plenty of excuses actually, we apwere away at a side 4th in the league with over half our first choice players missing!!

Yes it's gutting, but we very nearly pulled it off!!

Very classy, calling people you don't know idiots from behind a keyboard. People really show their true nature when there's no ramifications don't they? Maybe it's best to stick to football conversations rather than name calling like children?
Like I've said 100 times I am never negative in my support at games but this is a discussion board so if people can't voice genuine concern here then what's the point in it?

We were away to a side who are 4th but played v 10 men for 50 minutes. I'm not being negative I'm just stating facts and it's very worrying to me.

Having said that I actually think this is a bit of a blessing in disguise as a cup run could possibly be a bit of a distraction for the only thing that's really important this season which is staying up.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 am

Well that was a classic cup tie - both sides committed to winning, entertaining football, lots of incident and supporters in good voice. I was proud to be a FGR supporter at St. James Park last night. With a threadbare squad we gave a great account of ourselves.

But am I disappointed? Of course I am - we were the better footballing side, we dominated possession, matched them on efforts on goal, yet once again shot ourselves in the foot by mistakes. It was a silly penalty to concede and Manny's foul in extra time was correctly judged a second yellow. No complaints about the referee tonight, he handled the game well and 90+% of his decisions were correct.

First half, we played excellent football with all the team making a contribution. Some of our intricate passing was sublime and it moved the ball forward time after time. The Exeter fans were so frustrated by HT, boos rang out around the stadium. Possession stats must have shown 70% FGR at this stage and most of it was in the Exeter half, but not enough telling balls reached Doidge in the area.

Second half the home side gave it a real go and we were left with more space in their half. We managed more shots and but for some excellent saves from the Exeter keeper, we would have gone 2 or 3 up. Then when Jordan Tillson was sent off, surely our dominance would yield another goal?But we began to tire and and Manny started to look on edge ... the home crowd got on his back every time he touched the ball. Exeter worked on this, there was a tussle near the dugouts and Manny got his second yellow in extra time. Oh dear, the momentum was handed to Exeter, a nail biting finish was in store. Exeter were cleverer in their play against 10 men than us and took advantage of poor making to clinch the winner.

Overall a memorable FGR performance against one of the better Division 2 sides, but hey we should have won this tie and be looking forward to a home match against WBA. It would be harsh to criticise any player as they gave their all, played some great football and must have been devastated by the result. Looking for MOTM was not easy - Both Collins, Cooper and Stephens were all worthy, but I would go for Charlie who is back to his best and made our midfield look strong, despite the absence of Traore and Osbourne. Our travelling fans were in good voice and headed to the south west in creditable numbers.

Onto Luton, on paper on of the toughest tests of the season. However if we can play with the same determination and confidence we will not be disgraced.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for that Pitchfork, definitely a few reasons to be positive despite the result it seems.

The spirit and commitment are there and we have some good young players especially in midfield who are only going to get even better.

We just need that little bit more in the final third to stop relying so heavily on Doidge. We're not a million miles away from being a good side.

Btw good to hear Charlie played very well, the lad gets a lot more stick then he deserves but still puts 100% in every game and will become a top player. I thought he gave a good post match interview to Bob as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05qxklh

Reckon we'll give Luton a game, although they will be strong favourites.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 am

I feel like I found a fiver then lost a tenner

For a team riven by injuries and suspensions, we were brilliant for the first 45 completely outplaying Exeter who could not get the ball. Despite the hosts spirited recovery we were still the better team in the second half. But, time and again we got into wonderfully worked shooting positions before trying just one more pass. By the end of the game I found myself pleading "just shoot!" The likes of Reece Brown, KMB, James, Dan, Omar and others have great shots in their lockers but rarely give them an airing

Before his second yellow, magnificent Manny was up there as MoM contender with Reece Brown, Dan, Lee Collins and several of their team mates. Not sure what happened for the first yellow (which occurred whilst Exeter were collecting their red) other than Manny had his shirt nearly ripped from his back as he displayed to the ref. Later, laughably, the tugging continued under the refs nose until Manny had to change his shirt which was torn top to bottom. Also, surely a red not yellow should have followed our penalty when Doidge was clean through before being cynically rugby tackled?

I felt for KMB. Says much for his work rate that he was in our penalty area tracking his man and it was an 'attackers' weak tackle that drew the penalty

Yet if we'd have shot on sight and finished better, the game would have been won well before the end, and manny would be playing on Saturday. Cruel result in so many ways - the best and worst of our season encapsulated
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:50 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Who went to the game? How did Gomez look?

Not highly, some promise but needs to develop his awareness. I can see why he has been at the bottom of the pecking order. Still players can improve.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am

My take on that is that all the teams weaknesses came back to haunt them.
Can't score. Except for Doidge.
No vision in midfield. except for Osborne.
No one who can run at the defence and deliver a ball. Except Wishart.
We need all three of those to be playing well now, but really we need another one of each.

Although if one of those two saved Doidge efforts in the second half had gone in we would probably have gone on to win, frankly I think Exeter deserved to win that. Collins had already saved us several times and they matched us when a man down.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 am

Not sure what game you were watching Cumbrian. The midfield was terrific and Exeter were sliced open time and again - problem was no one was prepared to shoot and continuously 'passed the buck'

Dan was terrific but sadly Gomes is rather head down. He saw a lot of the ball but often passed inside when dan was in oceans of space to his left. As with James, the effort is there but the product ... ?

Have just read Coops' assessment on the website. Agree with every word - he has to get the shooting message over to "the number 10s" or we risk giving away games we are winning
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 am

Absolutely furious about last night, how many times could doidge of been through on goal, but our midfield never look up, never look for the pass forward they only look for the pass to keep possession, people will say we controlled the game but Exeter controlled the game throughout. Their plan was to let us play in front of them and switch on as soon as the ball was near their goal, the plan worked.

We need to change our philosophy, get the ball in the bloody box! The amount of times wis had space and never crossed it in was just so frustrating. Possession football doesn't win you games unless you know how to act in the final third we don't. Even if we sign 4 players in January I can't see much changing cos they'll be told to play the exact same football. Gutted.

Oh and Manny, you stupid man, what were you thinking? Not only was he caught parking in a disabled spot this week but he does this as well. Must be a screw loose somewhere. :oops:
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 am

just watched the bbc highlights and what on earth was Roberts doing for their winner? When the cross comes in he seems to step away from Stockley and give him a totally free header when he should have been all over him. Really poor I'm afraid !
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:30 am

I don't blame Charlie for all the ticky tacky stuff as that is his job as a deep lying midfielder.

But last night Brown seemed to want to do the same thing all the time, which was very frustrating.

I thought overall we deserved to go out due to a lack of ambition in the final third and a couple of self-inflicted wounds (the penalty and Manny's red card). That said the ref made some poor decisions e.g. how on earth did that guy not see a straight red card for the malicious lunge on Gomes? And what about the shoulder block on Brown towards the end?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am

Midfield has often been the problem at FGR, but not last night. Stevens played like a seasoned pro, Charlie was superb and Dan Wishart, underused, was always threatening.

Vision, excellent passing and determination ensured the ball was in the final third, time and time again. However it is then over to the front men....those behind Doidge did not do enough to create chances for themselves or for Christian. I cannot fault Doidge for his effort, awareness or shots, but he needed the ball more from Reece Brown, Marsh Brown and Gomes and they have to shoot more. It was these three that lacked awareness and vision in and around the box.

But Brown, Gomes and Monthe are talented, but young and relatively inexperienced at this level:they will get better, the potential is there. Coaching, practice and first team experience will develop them into regular first teamers - at present they should not, arguably, all be in the team at the same time....but last night Coops had no choice but to play them. Come January with new signings and players over their injuries and suspensions we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Keep the faith in Coops and this squad
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

I think our goal scoring stats confirm what many have said above. Fantastic total for Doidge, but the others seem to spend more time trying to play him in rather than having a go themselves. If you have a shooting chance then use it, then if it rebounds into Doidge's path then this also gives use another chance. What's the phrase, "If you don't shot you won't score"

Christian Doidge - 16
Omar Bugiel - 3
Reece Brown - 3
Keanu Marsh-Brown - 2
Scott Laird - 2
Charlie Cooper - 1
Liam Noble - 1
Dan Wishart - 1
Luke James - 1
Shamir Mullings - 1
Jordan Stevens - 1
Alex Iacovitti - 1

Total: 33 goals
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Really disappointed by last night. At 1-0 up and an extra man we had a real opportunity to get through. We started to make the space work and had players picking the ball up between their rows of defence and players left open but we just seemed to prefer to pass it backwards again rather than turn and look for a pass or shot.

There were a few positives but overall it highlighted that goals win games and goals come from shots on target.

We definitely didn't get knocked out because of Manny's red card. That's an easy excuse. He played well up until then and offered an important physical presence as well as running the ball from the back in a way our central midfielders don't seem able to.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm

tommyd wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Whayy, here come the negative idiots, regular as clockwork!!!

Plenty of excuses actually, we apwere away at a side 4th in the league with over half our first choice players missing!!

Yes it's gutting, but we very nearly pulled it off!!

Very classy, calling people you don't know idiots from behind a keyboard. People really show their true nature when there's no ramifications don't they? Maybe it's best to stick to football conversations rather than name calling like children?
Like I've said 100 times I am never negative in my support at games but this is a discussion board so if people can't voice genuine concern here then what's the point in it?

We were away to a side who are 4th but played v 10 men for 50 minutes. I'm not being negative I'm just stating facts and it's very worrying to me.

Having said that I actually think this is a bit of a blessing in disguise as a cup run could possibly be a bit of a distraction for the only thing that's really important this season which is staying up.

I always enjoy the irony of people being negative about others being supposedly negative. Plus people moaning about others appearing like clockwork when the timing of their own posts is similar.

Not worried about the Cup in the slightest. The league is what it is all about and we need to start picking up some wins again.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Not sure what game you were watching Cumbrian. The midfield was terrific and Exeter were sliced open time and again - problem was no one was prepared to shoot and continuously 'passed the buck'

Same one as you mate, they weren't sliced open, we waved the knife about a lot to but rarely did any slicing - to continue the analogy. The problem wasn't all shooting - we rarely got close enough - as much as finding the killer ball or even taking a punt with a ball into the box, even from set pieces - and having more than one player who can do anything with that ball. When Stephens / Doidge managed to combine we won a pen and went one up. Nobel could play those balls, as can Osbourne and Triore to some extent, Dale also delivers great crosses. Last night we missed that with only Wis delivering crosses from the left apart from a few from Laird when it got to 'desperate times'.

Its down to lack of depth in the squad and the rather limited skill set that some of our midfielders have.

Just to add, before the game I thought a win last night would have been a great achievement, but given the position when Exeter went down to 10, its a huge disappointment to lose.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Pitchfork wrote: Reece Brown, Marsh Brown and Gomes and they have to shoot more. It was these three that lacked awareness and vision in and around the box.

I agree with most of this post Pitchfork, just like to add a bit about Marsh Brown.

League 2 defences are closing him down far more quickly and effectively than Conference ones ever did. I think he would like to shoot but is having trouble to find the space and it's damaging his confidence. The one effort he had last night he hurried (without needing to) and scuffed it. The one thing that he has done (with the help of the coaching staff presumably) is increase his range, much more box to box. Shame about the pen but I thought the striker went down very easily and that's always a risk when forwards come back.

Agree about Reece Brown, he can shoot as we know, but seems to get the ball in under his feet too much. He is young and definitely has the potential to develop into a good all round midfielder. At the moment he cant be expected to play his own game and Osbourne's and cash in with goals as well.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team