Undisciplined or Unlucky ?

All about our First Team

Undisciplined or Unlucky ?

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

So ok lots of comments in the last few weeks about our discipline and it certainly seems like we are shooting ourselves in the foot by not being able to keep 11 players on the pitch especially at a time when our results and performances were showing signs of improvement.
I'm not sitting in judgement here but some of the facts as I see them are ...
Chesterfield - Manny straight red
Cheltenham - Ozzy yellow carded when many feared a Red
Exeter (h) - Dales head punch get's post match ban equivalent to Red card
Swindon - Dale off for 2 yellows
Grimsby - Fitzy off for 2 yellows
Exeter (a) - Manny off for 2 yellows
Macclesfield ......... Shamir goes out on loan and is Red carded by Coops ..... not even on the bench since then !

Make your own mind up about why and how fair etc etc but the stark facts don't make good reading and I really hope when we get our settled 11-14 players back that things improve !
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Undisciplined or Unlucky ?

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 am

Tbh it's mainly been 2 players that have contributed to this, 2 red cards each in recent games.

MC certainly didn't blame the ref for Manny's sending off yesterday, describing him as brainless. Which is the problem with him at times and something he needs to work on.

Not worried about Dale, he's generally improved his discipline over the last couple of years and I'm sure we won't see another Exeter type incident again for a while.

Osbourne's tackle v Cheltenham was never a red btw, the Cheltenham player rolling around like he'd been shot made it look worse but yellow card was fair.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm

There's certainly no conspiracy but I think a couple of these sendings off were unfortunate. I only saw what I guess the appeal committee saw for Manny's first but even from that it looked harsh to give him a straight red. I thought that Fitzwater's second booking was fair (though its always a heavy double blow to concede a pen at the same time) but booking someone for timewasting after 25 minutes sounds farfetched (especially if it was without a previous warning).

Dale's against Exeter was right (despite the provocation) and MC had no complaint against the ref last night. I can't comment on the red at Swindon.

As MC has said in a previous interview, luck around bookings and red cards tends to even itself out. The team do need to think a bit harder about discipline but over the whole season it hasn't been bad. But is just unfortunate that the upturn in reds has coincided with a few injuries. We will be very thin for a few more games yet.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Does anyone know if Manny misses one game for his red last night or gets more of a penalty as it's his second red?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Extra game for a second dismissal. So he'll miss Luton and Carlisle.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 pm

We certainly need to keep 11 players on the pitch for 90+ minutes this Saturday - Luton are scoring goals for fun at the moment. I'm hoping they've just had their Christmas party and we spring a surprise on them !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Keep calm and carry on ...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Always look on the bright side .....