Attendance v Luton

All about our First Team

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:33 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:I was nearly right with 2600 - lets face it we never going to get 8/9000 + even when we have a new stadium.Too many go to Bristol or Cheltenham or Swindon. The rose tinted glasses are off.


How do you know??

Our attendances have risen amazingly in a shortish time.

Negative rubbish!! We are a struggling team, playing a week before Christmas 1800 home fans was decent.


You really think we will pull in 8/9000 in a folly that has a 5,000 capacity and is in the middle of nowhere? ;)
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
camel wrote::lol: KG3, I am aware I will get hounded for pointing it out.

I do wonder whether we will ever get bigger crowds or make more noise with the ones we have. It does feel like L2 is passing most people by. If we get relegated it could be our only season in league football. It's so hard to get out of VNL and it will only get harder with the pheonix clubs coming up through the league's.

Every person I know who has come to FGR with their team for the first time as an away fan has commented on a) our low numbers b) how quiet we are

This tends to then make them ask whether a) we are excited by L2 football and if it's an improvement on last year and b) whether a lot of fans would rather go back down and be a big fish in a smaller pond again


Oh, there we go. They're on your back, Camel. But you are right on the attendance. The Christmas argument being thrown at you doesn't add up for the reason you've already mentioned (corresponding fixture), but maybe there were loads of kids freebies handed out for the Dover match. I don't know.

I simply think that the buzz around the club last year has been dampened. Much of that is down to the extremely bad start we had and now the recent slip back down the table. It's compounded by lack of self help on the pitch.

I almost sense an air of resignation from some that we are too small a club to be in League Two, but you only have to look at Fleetwood, Accrington, Crawley etc to see that's nonsense.


Too small a club!!!

Haha, we get much better attendances than clubs like Accrington Morecombe Barnet etc, etc.

I don't think we are too small a club at all!! People would be pretty stupid to think that!!

You should know being an FGR fan of some vintage, that 1800 home fans is not bad. Do agree there has been a bit of dampening with league position, but of course we would have that, any club would.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:I was nearly right with 2600 - lets face it we never going to get 8/9000 + even when we have a new stadium.Too many go to Bristol or Cheltenham or Swindon. The rose tinted glasses are off.


How do you know??

Our attendances have risen amazingly in a shortish time.

Negative rubbish!! We are a struggling team, playing a week before Christmas 1800 home fans was decent.


You really think we will pull in 8/9000 in a folly that has a 5,000 capacity and is in the middle of nowhere? ;)



Do you think your club Cheltenham would??
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:I was nearly right with 2600 - lets face it we never going to get 8/9000 + even when we have a new stadium.Too many go to Bristol or Cheltenham or Swindon. The rose tinted glasses are off.


How do you know??

Our attendances have risen amazingly in a shortish time.

Negative rubbish!! We are a struggling team, playing a week before Christmas 1800 home fans was decent.


You really think we will pull in 8/9000 in a folly that has a 5,000 capacity and is in the middle of nowhere? ;)



Do you think your club Cheltenham would??


:lol: at (a) the idea that last comment would provoke anything other than great mirth, and (b) the idea you can get 9,000 people into a ground with a 5k capacity. Math don't add up, I'm afraid.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 pm

I agree.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby camel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Isn't the point here that we need numbers to grow. Everyone on here wants 4 or 5 better quality signings in January. How do we pay for it? We do need to increase revenue and crowd numbers are an important part of that.

It needs more analysis, but fundamentally when I say L2 is passing people by I include the people who haven't bought in to the club and started going.

Does the club do enough to get people to want to come down? (They do a lot but in the age of the disruptor I think they need to think a bit differently).

Do we do enough as fans to encourage mates to try it?

Then the next question is when those people do come down is what's on offer good enough? The poor results have been mentioned. The fact we have the lowest number of shots on target in the league (before today's games) doesn't help with entertainment. But what about outside of that? Much gets said about the fine vegan food, but is it easy enough to get to at half time? Is there enough entertainment pre game and at half time? Is there enough of a gathering place for people to come together (e.g. some clubs have bars and vans outside the ground where people mingle and it feels like a destination and a shared space). Finally and probably most controversial, but does the club have enough of an identity to catch people when they come (some people I know look at the colours, sponsorship and just think it's an extension of Ecotricity and it rightly or wrongly puts them off). When people spend £20+ they expect quite a lot from what I hear - is our experience enough?

It's all food for thought and ultimately if we want to be a success we need to think about it and grow the crowd numbers. The away fans today were sold out pretty much, so it's on us to either increase home fans, or give the away fans more room.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Our crowds are fine.

We have more problems, than worrying about getting 1800 fans the week before Chritmas!

Not sure that we had 1800 home fans against Dover the week before Christmas either. Where is the evidence if that, obviously I will stand corrected if you supply it.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby camel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:04 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Our crowds are fine.

We have more problems, than worrying about getting 1800 fans the week before Chritmas!

Not sure that we had 1800 home fans against Dover the week before Christmas either. Where is the evidence if that, obviously I will stand corrected if you supply it.


I don't post facts or figures without fact checking first.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/n ... _Athletic/

Go to 5.04pm.

We do have more immediate problems yes, but if you want the club to have a longer term future in the football league you can't ignore the gates. I'd imagine the way things are going financial fair play will get tighter rather than looser, though I'd gladly be wrong for our sake.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Fair enough.

Surprised at that crowd, probably a kids go free.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 pm

The explanation for having lower crowd than this time last season against Dover is partly to do with the weather - it has been the coldest December for many a year, and also because many Luton fans refused to attend game because the away end was not under cover and they all had to stand.
That was the explanation given to me by more than a few Luton fans before game.
When the West Stand is covered and a row of seats added, attendances will increase.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby dangers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

If we used the Stroud end behind the goal for the visitors we would have had much larger crowds and more money in the kitty for new players.
Totally stupid we have so few watching from that end.
dangers
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby camel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm sorry if my ramblings come across the wrong way, but I do it with the interests of the club at heart.

If we could sell just 350 more tickets at £16 each for just our 23 home league games we would have an extra £128k p/a which should be fairly decent for a player to be on £2.5k per week. That's before food and drink etc.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:36 pm

camel wrote:I'm sorry if my ramblings come across the wrong way, but I do it with the interests of the club at heart.

If we could sell just 350 more tickets at £16 each for just our 23 home league games we would have an extra £128k p/a which should be fairly decent for a player to be on £2.5k per week. That's before food and drink etc.


I work in the far north of the county and one problem we do seem to have is that of image. We're seen as a glorified works team. Not a proper football club, if that makes sense.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton/Dover

Postby michael » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Coming back to the Dover attendance last season-do you think that the fact that FGR went into that game on the back of a win in the FA Trophy ,and more importantly-as League Leaders of the National League at the time-may just have had something to do with it ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5888
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Dover was also an ambassador game - a fixture when the school ambassadors promote the match and its Kids Go Free - this usually puts several hundred on the crowd.
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8496
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 am

king giraffe III wrote:
camel wrote:I'm sorry if my ramblings come across the wrong way, but I do it with the interests of the club at heart.

If we could sell just 350 more tickets at £16 each for just our 23 home league games we would have an extra £128k p/a which should be fairly decent for a player to be on £2.5k per week. That's before food and drink etc.


I work in the far north of the county and one problem we do seem to have is that of image. We're seen as a glorified works team. Not a proper football club, if that makes sense.



I hope you are putting these people right!!

Glorified works team, what utter rubbish.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
camel wrote:I'm sorry if my ramblings come across the wrong way, but I do it with the interests of the club at heart.

If we could sell just 350 more tickets at £16 each for just our 23 home league games we would have an extra £128k p/a which should be fairly decent for a player to be on £2.5k per week. That's before food and drink etc.


I work in the far north of the county and one problem we do seem to have is that of image. We're seen as a glorified works team. Not a proper football club, if that makes sense.



I hope you are putting these people right!!

Glorified works team, what utter rubbish.


I can see why that reputation has taken hold: the club has adopted the font Ecotricity use, wear the company colours, have a badge designed by an Ecotricity employee and may be moving into a new home --- away from Forest Green --- that is in keeping with the Ecotricity ethos. FGR has, to all intents and purposes, been deliberately rebranded as an arm of Ecotricity.

We're also seen as a rich man's plaything, something which is typically unpopular. This may cause upset among the usual suspects, but some people simply don't like Dale Vince and 'Ecotricity'. Plus there is a very real anticipation that it will all go belly up at some point in the not too distant future. Again, I'm only basing this upon the thoughts of people I know who have never watched FGR.

We're not popular in some quarters and I can understand it.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Personally think it's pathetic.

With attitudes like yours, it is no wonder people see us in a bad light, you are hardly going to speak about FGR in a glowing light yourself.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Just like Man. City being sponsored by middle eastern wealth - we are all waiting for it to go belly-up !!!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby camel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Personally think it's pathetic.

With attitudes like yours, it is no wonder people see us in a bad light, you are hardly going to speak about FGR in a glowing light yourself.


Ledge, I'd sell the club all day everyday to people who will listen and even those who don't. But people I know have pointed out they are put off the club by their perception of our Ecotricity extension. They are reasonable people too (before accusations are thrown).

They reference the fact our colours are Ecotricity, our badge changing ( which is completely based upon Ecotricity (lion and unicorn included https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/about-ecot ... ty-offices ) and a lot besides, including potentially moving out of FG.

Rightly or wrongly a lot of people think it's crazy that we allow it to happen.

We are an old club with years in the Conference level (longest serving at the time) and bags of history back to 1889. Is it a problem some people think that it was eradicated when we changed all of the above? I'd depends whether you think we need to grow the fan base. We then get in to the psychology of why people follow football clubs and everything else inbetween. But acknowledging the viewpoints mentioned is pretty important if you want to address them.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.