Attendance v Luton

All about our First Team

Re: Attendance v Luton

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 pm

What can you do differently, apart from spread the message of the good parts of the club? I don't really understand your point.

There are a lot of hypocritical people around that's all I know.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:What can you do differently, apart from spread the message of the good parts of the club? I don't really understand your point.

Well, I'm sure most people on here do the first part of your post. As I said I talk to people about the club and that is in a positive manner. I've managed to bring a fair few people to the club and I'm sure most people on here have done the same, as to be on this forum I guess you have a greater than normal level of buy in to the club maybe.

Aside from that it's all a question of marketing strategy really. There's plenty that can be done. The good thing is for us is that we are actually blessed compared to many clubs. We almost have the coke, diet coke, coke zero level of branding. Whether that's by design or not I don't know. I think we do some of that very well too e.g. in how we market to the eco/vegan fan base which transverses the globe. Theres plenty that can be done for other sub-segments of fans too.

I honestly don't get your hypocrisy comment. I struggle to understand why an acknowledgement of an issue on this forum is always perceived to be a dig at the club or that it in any way detracts from someone's support of the club. All the name calling and *** for tat rather than debate on this forum is getting a bit boring now.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm

The hypocrisy comment was certainly not aimed at you or anyone on this forum.

It is aimed at the people who state that we have kept our club be taken over, and if it was them they would have done something.

I happen to think the majority of these people would not be complaining if their particular club had a bit more money put into it. I feel there is a fair bit of jealousy and hypocrisy about in that case.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FootieMan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:01 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:What can you do differently, apart from spread the message of the good parts of the club? I don't really understand your point.

Jesus had the same problem and still does apparently.

Just hope for your sake Ledge that when any of your so called disbelievers are on their road to Damascus (why anyone would want to go to the real place baffles me anyway and certainly more so in modern times) that they too get hit by a brilliant light and shout out loudly .....

"Alleluia I have found the promised land" and find that the High Altar awaits them at the top of Spring Hill.

Let there be Light.

My profound apologies to anyone of a religious or Christian persuasion in diverting the story of Paul contained in the Acts of the Apostles to fit the last few postings with my poor analogy.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 am

:roll: :? :cry:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Theoperator » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:25 am

The attendances are poor in no small part because we are not historically a big team, havent had the benefit of years of free advertising courtesy of james Alexander Gordons silky tones and additionally there is no doubt that some have movd away due to the ecotricity era.

If you take away the number of empty seats that are counted as an attendee because they are a sold season ticket and the attendance is fairly poor, we have to accept that. It does make the reasoning behind the new stadium suspect to say the least.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:49 am

I can see why that reputation has taken hold: the club has adopted the font Ecotricity use, wear the company colours, have a badge designed by an Ecotricity employee and may be moving into a new home --- away from Forest Green --- that is in keeping with the Ecotricity ethos. FGR has, to all intents and purposes, been deliberately rebranded as an arm of Ecotricity.

Yep-certainly are-and whats wrong with that.
all good imo.

Most clubs are a marketing arm of a company-
newcastle-sports direct
dover-gomez

thats what sponsorship is all about.

the fact is that FGR/Ecotricity do it better than most.

I guess if anyone wants to invest £5 million per season for no return-they will be quite welcome at any sporting club
Last edited by michael on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:17 am

Our attendances for a small club are very good TheOperator.

People such as yourself were predicting we would have the lowest in the league. In reality we are averaging a very healthy 2,400-odd.

The stuff you talk around empty seats is strange, ever very club in the country counts crowds in the same way we do.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 am

michael wrote:I can see why that reputation has taken hold: the club has adopted the font Ecotricity use, wear the company colours, have a badge designed by an Ecotricity employee and may be moving into a new home --- away from Forest Green --- that is in keeping with the Ecotricity ethos. FGR has, to all intents and purposes, been deliberately rebranded as an arm of Ecotricity.

Yep-certainly are-and whats wrong with that.
all good imo.

Most clubs are a marketing arm of a company-
newcastle-sports direct
dover-gomez

thats what sponsorship is all about.

the fact is that FGR/Ecotricity do it better than most.

I guess if anyone wants to invest £5 million per season for no return-they will be quite welcome at any sporting club

Totally agree.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am

Our current average in the league is 2751 and there are 6 clubs lower than us, we are doing OK in league 2 so don't worry.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Theoperator wrote:The attendances are poor.......

Our attendances show some of the best % growth in the country, crowds are cause for celebration especially considering our league position and the number limits put on away fans.

It wasn't many years ago that FGR had a core base of home fans of around 600, this has now virtually tripled to between 1700 and 1800.

It was a real accomplishment when the average crowds ( swollen by huge away followings from Oxford,Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham etc) broke the 1000 barrier and began to climb steeply. It didn't take too long to average over 1500 and in the last couple of years 1700 was breached.

This season has seen a dramatic rise to over 2751, exceeding several long established clubs in larger towns. It may well reduce to around 2500 but that would be a 50% rise on last year's promotion winning season. That's progress!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
Theoperator wrote:The attendances are poor.......

Our attendances show some of the best % growth in the country, crowds are cause for celebration especially considering our league position and the number limits put on away fans.

It wasn't many years ago that FGR had a core base of home fans of around 600, this has now virtually tripled to between 1700 and 1800.

It was a real accomplishment when the average crowds ( swollen by huge away followings from Oxford,Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham etc) broke the 1000 barrier and began to climb steeply. It didn't take too long to average over 1500 and in the last couple of years 1700 was breached.

This season has seen a dramatic rise to over 2751, exceeding several long established clubs in larger towns. It may well reduce to around 2500 but that would be a 50% rise on last year's promotion winning season. That's progress!

I think youve got a mild tint in your glasses TBF, :lol:

The away fans coming to TNL are of course far bigger than in the National league and the novelty of visiting TNL as the latest team in the league has a part to play as well, taking simply away support only we are very high in the league. The average home fan figures are just over 2,200. Again there could be a novelty factor. Ive noticed a fair number of empty sets in the ends of the East stand which I wouldnt necessarily feel are any fuller than last season.

Yes the figures have risen, I maintain that the attendance is poor, based particularly on the "conclusion" that we need a 5,000 capacity stadium when we arent anywhere near that.

FGR-Ledge wrote:People such as yourself were predicting we would have the lowest in the league. In reality we are averaging a very healthy 2,400-odd.

The stuff you talk around empty seats is strange, ever very club in the country counts crowds in the same way we do.

we are one of the lowest in the league Ledge, though I dont recall anyone particularly predicting the exact figures. Afraid you are simply wrong about the way that clubs count attendances. Most still rely on actual numbers who come through the turnstiles/ past the scanners, and not ticket sales- attend is surely to actually be there :lol:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:16 pm

How do you know how most club's count their attendances????

Did you not read Pitchfork's very eloquent post above? Our attendances are rising quicker than pretty much every other club.

Suppose that does not fit the agendas though.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:29 pm

This needs updating, think the missing years are around 1500 and 1750 for last season, which back up what Pitchfork posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... C._seasons

Over the space of five seasons our average has risen to over two and a half times what we had for the best part of a decade...I call that sustained growth, if only our savings accrued at the same rate!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Timb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Not bad for a team that's propping up the league....
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 am

But as I put on another thread, the club puts this fancy video on Facebook about the Christmas matches. I guess it's to attract people to the games. Then the club completely shoots itself in the foot by not having a parknride running.

Okay Renishaw are presumably on a shut down but the alternative suggestion on the web was a half hearted effort at best. Well lets be honest, a total non effort.

Where is the joined up thinking :?: :idea: Promote/market to encourage people to attend and then reduce available parking Doh!
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 am

It would also help if the club had an arrangement with the bus company to ensure there are always buses running on matchdays. eg NYD and evenings.

Those that don't drive won't even be able to get to the Wycombe game.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am

You can see all the average attendances in my records, I have tried to highlight the appropriate columns plus the percentage up and down.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks LM. It underlines what most of us feel - that DV has made great strides, with help from a lot of others, to get attendances up significantly in recent years. The success in the National League, promotion, the attractiveness of the football under Hockaday and Cooper, the moves to make the occasions more of a family oriented affair (including the Ambassador Programme) have all made a difference to the numbers and also the diversity of the crowd. Long may it continue (and not be blighted by relegation).
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:How do you know how most club's count their attendances????

Did you not read Pitchfork's very eloquent post above? Our attendances are rising quicker than pretty much every other club.

Suppose that does not fit the agendas though.

I imagine that as I quoted his reply and responded to it its a fair guess that I read it- and I pointed out that whereas we were getting 7 supporters and their dog from Guiseley we are now getting 600-900 away fans which does rather skew the figures, as well as the other factors as per posting above. Pitchfork as you know holds a position at FGR so maybe not unreasonably he has an agenda?

You only need see the FOIs there are around attendances to see what clubs claim sales of tickets and others claim actual attendances. FOIs from the police, that is, as I believe for safety reasons the actual number of people in the ground do need to be counted . Very surprised you cant understand this. Heres a Guardian article which may seem to confirm its not the norm.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... celtic-mls
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team