Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Foggy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Think you must have been watching a different Laird to me Foggy - after a couple of decent showings in a midfield role I thought he was poor again at left back and the throw back to Collins created unnecessary pressure on the keeper who duly obliged with an air kick to Christmas wrap it for Hylton !


I was thinking of the times that he tried to drive the game forward, particuarly in the second half, he seemed to be the player willing to run at Luton and try to make things happen...but as you say, people will have different opinions of games, players and incidents...I was just trying to suggest that there were a number of players who in my opinion deserved being MoTM ahead of someone who for me was somewhat anonymous, judging by the reaction to the announcement from those sat near me I might suggest that I wasn't alone in that view.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4795
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Old Git » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm sure all of teams in league 2 are aware that MC wants the team to play like Barcelona. Unfortunately they are also aware he has a different set of players to select his ream from.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
User avatar
Old Git
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Old Git wrote:I'm sure all of teams in league 2 are aware that MC wants the team to play like Barcelona. Unfortunately they are also aware he has a different set of players to select his ream from.

And Barca dont play with one striker, they got three!! Doidge totally isolated, Marsh Brown obviously told to hang out right, so gap between our strike force is embarrassing, also lack of any change to game plan only shows total arrogance of manager, where not only 90% of fans can see how we play but 100% of opposition teams know, Luton played high up field yesterday, yet we still tried to play out from back, time after time, and, it was a matter of time before we erred, dont blame Brad, I blame tactics!!
User avatar
doggy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: glawstershire

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 pm

doggy wrote:
Old Git wrote:I'm sure all of teams in league 2 are aware that MC wants the team to play like Barcelona. Unfortunately they are also aware he has a different set of players to select his ream from.

And Barca dont play with one striker, they got three!! Doidge totally isolated, Marsh Brown obviously told to hang out right, so gap between our strike force is embarrassing, also lack of any change to game plan only shows total arrogance of manager, where not only 90% of fans can see how we play but 100% of opposition teams know, Luton played high up field yesterday, yet we still tried to play out from back, time after time, and, it was a matter of time before we erred, dont blame Brad, I blame tactics!!


I do totally agree with you here, Doidge is far too isolated at the moment and needs the support from Keanu and Briwn to be pushed up with him.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

I think Grubb will make it 2 strikers up front, with a team formation to suit. M/C is the manager however, but I can foresee that happening as a trial and adopting if successful.

PS. If Doidge sticks to his words about staying the Season out. :D
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4468
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Foggy wrote:
T50 BOS wrote:Think you must have been watching a different Laird to me Foggy - after a couple of decent showings in a midfield role I thought he was poor again at left back and the throw back to Collins created unnecessary pressure on the keeper who duly obliged with an air kick to Christmas wrap it for Hylton !


I was thinking of the times that he tried to drive the game forward, particuarly in the second half, he seemed to be the player willing to run at Luton and try to make things happen...but as you say, people will have different opinions of games, players and incidents...I was just trying to suggest that there were a number of players who in my opinion deserved being MoTM ahead of someone who for me was somewhat anonymous, judging by the reaction to the announcement from those sat near me I might suggest that I wasn't alone in that view.


Wishart or Fitzwater would have been my MotM yesterday. Simpson was sound but hardly spectacular apart from his last ditch tackle towards the end. He and Stevens were, predictably, a little out of their depth but did try hard.

I agree that Laird did show a bit of leadership and drive yesterday. There were some poor passes but he was playing out of position and did well overall imo in open play. But there was no way he would have been my MotM because his dead ball delivery was awful. Browns free kicks and corners were marginally better but way too often our free kicks and corners are wasted or, worse, turn our attack into frantic defence.

We don’t get enough support around Doidge and I was surprised Bugeil didn’t get a go yesterday. Maybe Grubb will be part of a new partnership up front and give Brown something else to aim at but I’m a bit puzzled MC has so little faith in Bugeil.

Yesterday was a worthy performance in trying circumstances against a strong, pragmatic team. But it resulted in no points again and we urgently need something out of the next 3-4 games. I think that if we keep playing as we did yesterday, we will achieve that.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
FootieMan wrote:"Success is measured by going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm".

Winston Churchill often quoted great things. Yes he said the above too!

He was a leader but not a general. There is a difference.

Let's not degenerate posts into a slagging match. Not pointing the finger at anyone but just making an observation.

We are where we are. It's not great but it proves one thing.

You can be in a relegation fight with money just as easy as being in one without any money.

Time for Leaders now and not Generals.


Tbf, he was neither a general or a true leader. Just someone whose experience (albeit as a failure) put him in prime position to become Prime Minister. Subsequent success in WWII was not down to him, but (a) German failure to realise how close Fighter Command was to obliteration in 1940, and (b) Japanese miscalculation.


I take it you lived during the WW 11 period then KG111? ;)


No. However, I read an awful lot of books from all perspectives on both WWI and WWII from memoirs through to military history and biographies.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby michael » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 pm

am i missing something here ?

surely Grubb is a midfield player-who happens to score quite a few goals at a lower league level (assisted by the fact that he is quite good at those kick free things ),and maybe like fleetwood and to a lesser extent Mangan-have one freaky goalscloring season

I just want him to be great in midfield-and if he scores a few-better still, but i have no great expectation of him scoring loads of goals in EFL2 .
if he can create more chances for Doidge-i'll be happy with that.

If grubb can be to doidge, what beesley simply was to fleetwood-happy days

I certainly do not see Grubb as a second striker
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 6411
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:37 pm

michael wrote:am i missing something here ?

surely Grubb is a midfield player-who happens to score quite a few goals at a lower league level (assisted by the fact that he is quite good at those kick free things ),and maybe like fleetwood and to a lesser extent Mangan-have one freaky goalscloring season

I just want him to be great in midfield-and if he scores a few-better still, but i have no great expectation of him scoring loads of goals in EFL2 .
if he can create more chances for Doidge-i'll be happy with that.

If grubb can be to doidge, what beesley simply was to fleetwood-happy days

I certainly do not see Grubb as a second striker


Yes, he's a midfielder. I expect to see him taking on the Noble role.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Norman31 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 am

king giraffe III wrote:
michael wrote:am i missing something here ?

surely Grubb is a midfield player-who happens to score quite a few goals at a lower league level (assisted by the fact that he is quite good at those kick free things ),and maybe like fleetwood and to a lesser extent Mangan-have one freaky goalscloring season

I just want him to be great in midfield-and if he scores a few-better still, but i have no great expectation of him scoring loads of goals in EFL2 .
if he can create more chances for Doidge-i'll be happy with that.

If grubb can be to doidge, what beesley simply was to fleetwood-happy days

I certainly do not see Grubb as a second striker


Yes, he's a midfielder. I expect to see him taking on the Noble role.



What's that? Beer and pie eater
Norman31
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 am

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:23 am

Norman31 wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
michael wrote:am i missing something here ?

surely Grubb is a midfield player-who happens to score quite a few goals at a lower league level (assisted by the fact that he is quite good at those kick free things ),and maybe like fleetwood and to a lesser extent Mangan-have one freaky goalscloring season

I just want him to be great in midfield-and if he scores a few-better still, but i have no great expectation of him scoring loads of goals in EFL2 .
if he can create more chances for Doidge-i'll be happy with that.

If grubb can be to doidge, what beesley simply was to fleetwood-happy days

I certainly do not see Grubb as a second striker


Yes, he's a midfielder. I expect to see him taking on the Noble role.



What's that? Beer and pie eater


And, umm, in the hole.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Old Git » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am

Did you not see the stats. on our goals Michael? Christian has scored 9 and defenders have scored the other 2. If that continues for the rest of the season we will be relegated. Hopefully Grubb will score goals and several other players will score goals if we are to survive.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
User avatar
Old Git
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 am

Varied opinion on Saturday's game. Left it a couple of days as landing at the bottom of the heaps has clouded objectivity

A fine first half deserved better. The pass from Cooper early on to set Stevens free was fantastic and the keeper did well - Stephens shot was right on the mark. Other good chances came and went but we still seem reluctant to shoot. Luton stepped up with 5 minutes on the clock and the goal on the stroke of half time was cleverly worked. Credit where it is due

After half time, the loss of Reece Brown was a set back. Dan Wishart was brave to carry on after the nasty sending off kick and did well. Gomes remains rather 'head down' and poses little threat. Maybe Brad was put under pressure by the pass but for all his excellent skills he does not look comfortable in the sweeper roll and his kicking has much to be desired - he looks as if he is doing what he is told rather than what he'd like to do. Word is round now so he should expect to be pressurised when on the ball.

Otherwise, most put in a good shift but chasing the game at 2-0 the confidence seemed to evaporate. Early season I was critical of Lee Brown and Scott Laird. Lee is really in the groove and is leading the defence - well done him. Scott Laird's outfield play has greatly improved too but not I'm afraid his dead ball kicking and crosses - best left to the Browns or Wishart I think

The truth is that we played well against a top side an lost to one bit of magic and a self induced howler. Christian has been given the benefit of the doubt based on his fantastic season whereas Brad gets the spotlight. You have to be nuts to be a keeper so it goes with the territory. But, if Doidge had put away that peach of a cross from Wishart as he should have, 1-1 and 11 v 10 would have been a different game. If. if, if ...

And for all the gloom, look at the positives. Despite the injuries and suspensions we are competing well against the best and we will get stronger. And in the 2 Jordans let alone Charlie Cooper (how people enjoy belittling him to get at his dad) and Reece Brown we have a superb 'nursery' midfield who will back up their seniors when they return

So, fed up with defeat? Sure I am. Optimistic about the rest of the season and the talent we have in the squad & coaching start - absolutely. Do I have rose tinted specs? Guilty again, that is why I am a football supporter. Why would I want to be cynical, negative and fearful?

FGR is down but nothing like out. Keep the faith
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby The Cumbrian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 am

Good summary CG.

Everybody let's not raise our expectations re Grubb, it will be unfair on the lad. If he has a good attitude, is upto scratch as a good first team squad player, and can score a few goals that will do me. We need more depth, not one superstar.
User avatar
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby montyc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Old Git wrote:I'm sure all of teams in league 2 are aware that MC wants the team to play like Barcelona. Unfortunately they are also aware he has a different set of players to select his ream from.


Very true, we do play like Barcelona on the odd occasion, the only trouble with that is, it's only in our own half, commonly known as boring tip tappy football.
I'm also sure our Chairman and manager realise this set of players are not even good enough to keep FGR in the 2nd Division. January will be a big test for the Chairman and MC, can they sign the players that will ensure league two football next season, there are those who believe where you finish at Christmas is where your likely to finish come the end of the season, time will tell.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
User avatar
montyc
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Timb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Good summary CG.

Keep calm and carry on. Remember where we were this time last season with the Torquay games on the horizon and the Lincoln game a recent reverse.
User avatar
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: SW18

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:32 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
FootieMan wrote:"Success is measured by going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm".

Winston Churchill often quoted great things. Yes he said the above too!

He was a leader but not a general. There is a difference.

Let's not degenerate posts into a slagging match. Not pointing the finger at anyone but just making an observation.

We are where we are. It's not great but it proves one thing.

You can be in a relegation fight with money just as easy as being in one without any money.

Time for Leaders now and not Generals.


Tbf, he was neither a general or a true leader. Just someone whose experience (albeit as a failure) put him in prime position to become Prime Minister. Subsequent success in WWII was not down to him, but (a) German failure to realise how close Fighter Command was to obliteration in 1940, and (b) Japanese miscalculation.


I take it you lived during the WW 11 period then KG111? ;)


No. However, I read an awful lot of books from all perspectives on both WWI and WWII from memoirs through to military history and biographies.


Possibly 90% written by arty-farty graduates in History. ;)

Having lived through WW11 and the frightening sound of the sirens, the bombing and the strafing by enemy aircraft, I took heart from his siren-suited visits around the country to see the damage for himself and follow up with a thoroughly morale boosting radio broadcast. A truly great leader!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4468
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Yer put Churchill in charge. Good one.

It was a shame that marsh brown had to sit wide and back to cover for Bennet's absence from the team.

Thought the young players both stepped up and earned their place.

I think the pressure is on this Saturday and i really hope this keep calm and carry on attitude goes out of the window.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Luton Town)

Postby Tommo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:I think the pressure is on this Saturday and i really hope this keep calm and carry on attitude goes out of the window.


:D
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.