BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

All about our First Team

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
The Cumbrian wrote:Cool it folks, you wouldn't hold a face to face conversation like that


I would.

Anyhow, whilst I'm far from convinced by the story, I certainly wouldn't object to any transfer fee and wages being reinvested. Whilst CC had a good first half yesterday, his second half performance was very different. Never have been impressed by him. Lee Collins, on the other hand...


Cooper is coming back into form and seems to be relishing having more responsibility now Noble has gone. But his second half yesterday was poor. First half there were great passes and we saw his ability but he needs to be more consistent.

I hope he stays since I think that with him, Osbourne and Traore, we will have a decent defensive midfield. That should allow Brown or KMB to play further forward and space for the wing backs to thrive.

Lee Collins has been excellent recently.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9273
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby michael » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 pm

to be fair-Cooper is only just coming back from quite a serious injury ,and whilst agreeing he was not at his best yesterday- think he needs a couple more games.

(i think i am in a minority-but i can't see what others see in Reece Brown-and if MC persists in playing KMB wide-thats a waste of his talent
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 pm

michael wrote:to be fair-Cooper is only just coming back from quite a serious injury ,and whilst agreeing he was not at his best yesterday- think he needs a couple more games.

(i think i am in a minority-but i can't see what others see in Reece Brown-and if MC persists in playing KMB wide-thats a waste of his talent


Agree with this, Reece Brown is far too lightweight and doesn't make up for it in other areas.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby The Cumbrian » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm

michael wrote:to be fair-Cooper is only just coming back from quite a serious injury ,and whilst agreeing he was not at his best yesterday- think he needs a couple more games.

(i think i am in a minority-but i can't see what others see in Reece Brown-and if MC persists in playing KMB wide-thats a waste of his talent


Brown on his day puts himself around well, is a combative ball winner, can keep it at his feet and has a good shot. He lacks vision, often getting bogged down, in general his skill set is limited. In a well balanced midfield he could be a huge asset and remember he is young and can learn to fill the gaps in his game. I agree with the lightweight bit, he needs to get into the gym.

I agree about KMB, I would like to see him 'in the hole' just behind Doidge picking up the pieces.
User avatar
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Tommo wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
The Cumbrian wrote:Cool it folks, you wouldn't hold a face to face conversation like that


I would.

Anyhow, whilst I'm far from convinced by the story, I certainly wouldn't object to any transfer fee and wages being reinvested. Whilst CC had a good first half yesterday, his second half performance was very different. Never have been impressed by him. Lee Collins, on the other hand...


Cooper is coming back into form and seems to be relishing having more responsibility now Noble has gone. But his second half yesterday was poor. First half there were great passes and we saw his ability but he needs to be more consistent.

I hope he stays since I think that with him, Osbourne and Traore, we will have a decent defensive midfield. That should allow Brown or KMB to play further forward and space for the wing backs to thrive.

Lee Collins has been excellent recently.


And herein is the problem. Beyond Doidge, Osborne, Traore and Collins we have players who show 'promise'. Ignoring the fact that half of them aren't our players, are we really equipped to stay up given we've so many undercooked signings?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby Old Git » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 pm

The argument over Charlie's abilities or lack of will rumble on and on. As has been continually argued everyone has a right to an opinion and nobody should start trading insults in they disagree with any post unless it is personally abusive. If that happened I'm sure the adjudicators would step in. His ability seems to have split opinions more than any other current player. I would'nt want to second guess the outcome, only time will tell. If he was sold it would never solve the arguments but it would resolve the situation and hopefully unite everyone and get us back to winning ways.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
User avatar
Old Git
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesborough eye FGR midfielder

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
doggy wrote:Wish people would read the post properly, didn’t put Charlie down except critique his passing which at times is woeful , he needs to keep it simple, I personally state he should be playing at a higher level which isn’t shameful!!? I however do think he would benefit from moving away from his detractors please before having a dig at my post read it properly !!


I did read it properly, what you basically said was he needs to get away from here because his dad is mismanaging him and he isn't developing, both of which I disagree with.

He is one of several young players at FGR who are and will benefit from the coaching they're getting here imo, especially as at this level they get a lot more playing time then they would at a bigger club.

My reply was just saying that imo a big reason why leaving might seem like a good option, rather then staying here, playing regularly and continuing to develop , is that some of our so-called fans can't wait to stick the boot in every time he makes a mistake, (or even before). That is no help to any player especially a young one still learning his trade imo.

It's true he isn't the finished article yet, he does misplace passes every now and then (like most players do) but he is already a very decent player with a lot of potential and a lot of the good work he does seems to go unnoticed by a lot of people. It's noticable that despite getting abuse he always keeps his chin up and puts in 100% every week. That is the sort of attitude and determination you need to make it at a higher level, which is why I'm pretty sure he'll have a very good career.

Like others, if he stays, he will benefit from the likes of Osbourne and Traore's return, as the midfield we had out v Luton mst be one of the youngest and most inexperienced we've ever fielded. Those youngsters need some guidance on the pitch, especially in a relegation battle.[/quote

God Kent you really haven’t got my point, have you? I totally agree with you, my later post explains my thoughts in detail, which like you, refutes the detractors, when I said get away from his dad I was simply thinking of the best for CC as it would cast off the nepotism/detractors weight that hangs round his neck. There is a massive difference between under performing because of external pressures and mismanagement!! We have a great group of young players, but I’m not sure a relegation battle is what’s best for them, it could undermine their confidence, however to take another slant, it could make real men of them, I truly hope it’s the latter, and, as I said to Ledge, at no point have I mentioned mismanagement, hope this gets through.
User avatar
doggy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: glawstershire

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby tommyd » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
The Cumbrian wrote:Cool it folks, you wouldn't hold a face to face conversation like that


I would.

Anyhow, whilst I'm far from convinced by the story, I certainly wouldn't object to any transfer fee and wages being reinvested. Whilst CC had a good first half yesterday, his second half performance was very different. Never have been impressed by him. Lee Collins, on the other hand...


Cooper is coming back into form and seems to be relishing having more responsibility now Noble has gone. But his second half yesterday was poor. First half there were great passes and we saw his ability but he needs to be more consistent.

I hope he stays since I think that with him, Osbourne and Traore, we will have a decent defensive midfield. That should allow Brown or KMB to play further forward and space for the wing backs to thrive.

Lee Collins has been excellent recently.


And herein is the problem. Beyond Doidge, Osborne, Traore and Collins we have players who show 'promise'. Ignoring the fact that half of them aren't our players, are we really equipped to stay up given we've so many undercooked signings?


Exactly, you can maybe have one or 2 players with 'promise' and carry them when they aren't consistently performing but we have 6 or 7.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am

The Cumbrian wrote:
Brown on his day puts himself around well, is a combative ball winner, can keep it at his feet and has a good shot. He lacks vision, often getting bogged down, in general his skill set is limited. In a well balanced midfield he could be a huge asset and remember he is young and can learn to fill the gaps in his game. I agree with the lightweight bit, he needs to get into the gym.



As the old cliche goes, 'football is all about opinions' :shock:

But I don't know who you have been watching - Reece Brown, 'his skill set is limited'?!? Do you actually watch him with the ball at his feet when he gets even a yard or two of space? He is one of the most naturally talented players in the squad. What he ISN'T is a combative ball winner! He is a play-maker and passer and he certainly doesn't lack vision.

He is young, not the biggest physically and has been a bit inconsistent, BUT he has come into a team that has struggled and seen inconsistent performances from most players. Whether he makes a big impact with FGR, or anyone else, remains to be seen - but IMHO it will not be through lack of technical ability if he doesn't. Personally, I think he could be an important player for us next year and crucially, I think his best performances have come when he has had Driss and Ossie behind him - giving him the opportunity to concentrate on trying to link with KMB and Doidge and be creative, rather than just chasing and harrying as we get repeatedly overwhelmed in midfield during games.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
User avatar
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:41 pm
Location: South Glawstershire (b. Stroud)

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FootieMan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

It’s marvellous how the posted subject can be hijacked.

I am still waiting to learn of the evidence that MIDDLESBROUGH are interested in Charlie Cooper. I am fairly sure it will not have come from his Dad. So who has this knowledge? Or is it is just another ‘click bait’ article.

I don’t think it helps the team in its current predicament.
User avatar
FootieMan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby montyc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 pm

FootieMan wrote:It’s marvellous how the posted subject can be hijacked.

I am still waiting to learn of the evidence that MIDDLESBROUGH are interested in Charlie Cooper. I am fairly sure it will not have come from his Dad. So who has this knowledge? Or is it is just another ‘click bait’ article.

I don’t think it helps the team in its current predicament.


Perhaps it was the Russian's, more fake news. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
User avatar
montyc
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:37 pm

FootieMan wrote:It’s marvellous how the posted subject can be hijacked.

I am still waiting to learn of the evidence that MIDDLESBROUGH are interested in Charlie Cooper. I am fairly sure it will not have come from his Dad. So who has this knowledge? Or is it is just another ‘click bait’ article.

I don’t think it helps the team in its current predicament.



At least the SNJ covers their local club; FGR.

The Citizen joke of a paper covers us less than Brimscombe.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby Timb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Did the trick though didn't it....

Reece Brown is a very good player and tracks back and tackles and has vision and skill. Definitely one of our more accomplished players. CC and KMB were coming back from injuries. As was DT.

All round, Saturday was not a bad performance at all. And if it was set I'm the middle of a good or a decent or an average run of points on the board, then views might be different.

Hard graft required for Saturday, irrespective of Saturday's result. But I'm quietly confident we will get something points wise on Saturday.

Looking forward to it.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5757
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:42 pm

All newspapers are under financial pressure to survive - 'click bait' is one way of getting advertisers to continue to invest in advertising online. Of course most of us find the adverts irritating and few stories are actually 'breaking news' when so much 'gossip' is circulated in the social media.

I suspect all journalists, especially our very own Ashley Loveridge, is required to do more and more to ensure he is still in a job. He does a great job compared to a decade ago when the SNJ often gave scant attention to our club.
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8722
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
FootieMan wrote:It’s marvellous how the posted subject can be hijacked.

I am still waiting to learn of the evidence that MIDDLESBROUGH are interested in Charlie Cooper. I am fairly sure it will not have come from his Dad. So who has this knowledge? Or is it is just another ‘click bait’ article.

I don’t think it helps the team in its current predicament.



At least the SNJ covers their local club; FGR.

The Citizen joke of a paper covers us less than Brimscombe.


Hello,
I'm not going to reveal the credible source, but I can say I deal in fact, not fiction.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
FootieMan wrote:It’s marvellous how the posted subject can be hijacked.

I am still waiting to learn of the evidence that MIDDLESBROUGH are interested in Charlie Cooper. I am fairly sure it will not have come from his Dad. So who has this knowledge? Or is it is just another ‘click bait’ article.

I don’t think it helps the team in its current predicament.



At least the SNJ covers their local club; FGR.

The Citizen joke of a paper covers us less than Brimscombe.


Hello,
I'm not going to reveal the credible source, but I can say I deal in fact, not fiction.



Keep up the great work Ash.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Ash does a great job covering FGR imo, it's very much appreciated.

Like he says, I can't remember any tabloid style ott stuff, "stories" coming from social media rumours or made up rubbish to fit an agenda, unlike a few others I could mention.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4997
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FootieMan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm

"click Bait" bites back.

Get the fish on the hook.!!
User avatar
FootieMan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FootieMan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... ced-944134

Here’s another ‘click bait’ story, which when read fully I looked for evidence of the headline. Yet remarkably neither club nor player would confirm or deny the allegation.

Whether we like it or not there are issues how the club is serviced by the Media. No news is good news but often bad news is better than none at all. My concern is how others see the club and does it cloud their view and therefore attendance.

I am far from wet behind the ears to know JP does have close contact and likeise Ash also claims - credible sources in the Club - current and ex.

I wait to see what action the club might take on another supposed untrue story. After the debacle of player movement with Cheltenham Town and sanctions imposed on outlet and staff, surely this ‘slanderous article’ without any shrewd of evidence contained in the article, should be considered for some form of litigation?

Does the SNJ have evidence about its ‘possible truth’.

I cannot recall ever, relating to FGR, when our relationship with the local press is so poor. Being bottom of League Two we do not require negative press. Some of the responses on social
Media to this article is not nice.
User avatar
FootieMan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Middlesbrough eye FGR midfielder

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am

Wow that awful paper really do hate yes as a club don't they!!

How long are they going to keep this rubbish up!? :twisted:

Is the Citizen payed off by Cheltenham? They don't even report on FGR, and only comment when they can slag the club off!

Needs to be looked into really.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], SNJ Ash and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.