All about our First Team

FGR boss to sign "four or five" in January

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: FGR boss to sign "four or five" in January

Postby candy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 am

Hereford have a striker John Mills scored 27 goals this season. In just under a year and 6 month's he has
scored a 100 goals one to keep your eye's on MC...............................
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 pm

4-5 sounds a lot. Presumably a couple will leave us but I hope not Doidge.

Roberts should be replaced I think and Iacovitti is presumably out for several weeks so a centre back or two would be useful.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Whilst i have been one of the first to say (after 3 games ) that this squad was obviously no match for most teams in this league, i am quite surprised that MC is now possibly getting as many as 5 new players.
that given-it all depends on the quality -lightweight loanees will not help the cause . Some muscle might.

That given- i have been reflecting on my own thoughts (that quality players are urgently needed )a bit more.

Is it the players-or is it the system of pass ,pass and pass some more.

Even with new and better quality players-they will take a bit of time to 'master the pass, pass ,pass system-and will they be that high quality to master it easily-its not as though they will be premiership players !!

Is there thus an argument,that despite what i and most think, its almost better to stick with the current players-who are getting better at the 'system'.
For players at this level-it probably takes a good 12 month to master the system.

I think its pretty certain that MC will stick with his mode of playing, so no matter how good any incoming players are-will there be sufficient time for them to master the 'system ?
Unfortunately-time is not on FGR's /MC's side

On balance-i'd go with my original thoughts that very simply-better quality players are required, but it has made me think a bit.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm sure all of teams in league 2 are aware that MC wants the team to play like Barcelona. Unfortunately they are also aware he has a different set of players to select his ream from.

Old Git posted the above in a different thread and much more succinctly puts what i waffle on about in the post above.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Tommo wrote:4-5 sounds a lot. Presumably a couple will leave us but I hope not Doidge.

Roberts should be replaced I think and Iacovitti is presumably out for several weeks so a centre back or two would be useful.

And there I was, being castigated earlier in the season for suggesting Roberts wasn't actually good enough for Cambridge. ;)

I genuinely feel for the man.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 pm

I would be absolutely astounded if we managed to sign five players in January who were all capable of improving our first team :shock:

Another poster has used the term 'lightweight loanees' - certainly this is something we can do without.

It is clear we need more quality at the back - with Iacovitti injured, Fitzwater potentially going back to WBA, Roberts looking to not have the legs anymore and Monthe error prone. We have leaked goals all season - almost two per game on average - and I cannot see us staying up if this continues.

We quite simply have acquired too many players who simply do not look up to it in this league and our place at the foot of the table reflects this.

2-3 hardened pro's is what we NEED - whether we can get them is a wholly different question.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:01 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:4-5 sounds a lot. Presumably a couple will leave us but I hope not Doidge.

And there I was, being castigated earlier in the season for suggesting Roberts wasn't actually good enough for Cambridge. ;)

Who by? Not by me. I think most have had doubts about Roberts. He is seemingly on the way down. He may be providing some good advice for the young defenders that we have though - we don't know what happens in training. He is a rather expensive sub but we have needed him recently to make up the numbers despite his lack of pace.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I think we do need 4 or 5 players to stay up. Jan wiill see how much ambition DV has. We need 5 proven experienced big nasty players. We need new goalkeeper a proven number 1, CB with height, Lb, prefer Laird in midfield and likewise Wish. Cm to take weight of expectation off Traore and Osbourne. Striker with proven record.

This is going to be so hard to get though. Very excited by prospect of Grubb. Who I presume will play either lm or just behind Doidge. We have so many players of small stature, ie Stevens, Brown, Kmb, James. Just believe we need signings of 6 foot plus to galvanise our chances of defending and scoring set pieces.

Will be a big ask for MC to achieve all this in a limited window. Lets hope he can go shopping with little restraints. Going to be very interesting who exits to balance the books. Think James, Mullings, Bugiel may be surplus to requirements. Thought Bugiel was going to prosper this season but he just hasn’t come on. Still believe he could make a good midfielder rather than striker. All in all it’s going to be an exciting January.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I agree about Bugiel. He looked a really exciting prospect but seems to have lost something over the summer. Perhaps he needs to drop down a league or two and go out on loan somewhere he can play 90 minutes every week to try and recapture that spark.

James was at Bristol Rovers last season. I asked a couple of their fans what he was like. The answer was " he runs about a lot..........."
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Definitely need another striker, ideally someone with a lot of pace and good movement, which is something we lack and would help us counter attack quicker. Doidge makes good runs but he's the only one who does, people want us to play it forwards but there aren't often many options to allow for that.

I like Omar and Luke, both have a great work ethic but seem to be lacking confidence when they get near goal. We need another striker capable of scoring a few, and neither of those two, or Gomes, look like doing that atm.

I would say if we could also sign another cb as good as Lee Collins, along with Dayle Grubb and a pacy striker proven at this level, then that would be a good transfer window.

That would strengthen the spine of what is already a very promising squad. No need for a major overhaul.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Do we think Bugiel has been given enough time to shine though? I don't.

And the way we set up doesn't give him any opportunity - 10 to 15 minutes when we're losing is a big ask. Wonder where we would be if he started more games alongside Doidge with a more direct style.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 pm

andymac26 wrote:Do we think Bugiel has been given enough time to shine though? I don't.

And the way we set up doesn't give him any opportunity - 10 to 15 minutes when we're losing is a big ask. Wonder where we would be if he started more games alongside Doidge with a more direct style.

I think you will never see the best of a striker if they get bits and pieces of game time. Especially if they do a good job for the team by playing in midfield etc like Bugiel has. He is very commited to the club and I'd like to see him go out on loan to VNL and get regular games for 90mins to let him develop. We all saw what he is capable of in that Woking game (and other times since).
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby coyler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 am

The Peterborough chairman has tweeted that 6 League 2 clubs have enquired about Ricky Miller. Hopefully we was one of them.
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:47 pm

there again-for some of us-hopefully not.

EFL defences a lot different to national league.

is he a bit like fleetwood-one good season ?

more importantly-and not for me to comment further-but he does have an interesting off pitch life-which may not be to every clubs liking.
high maintenance comes to mind
Allegedly that may be one of the reasons Peterborogh have seen enough
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm

What we need in Two words

JON PARKIN

#ReturnOfTheBeast
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 pm

camel wrote:
andymac26 wrote:Do we think Bugiel has been given enough time to shine though? I don't.

I think you will never see the best of a striker if they get bits and pieces of game time. Especially if they do a good job for the team by playing in midfield etc like Bugiel has. He is very commited to the club and I'd like to see him go out on loan to VNL and get regular games for 90mins to let him develop. We all saw what he is capable of in that Woking game (and other times since).

Agree with both posters about Bugiel. I would like to see Omar given more game time and a few starts, but given how shocking our defensive record is and how prolific Doidge is, I cannot see us starting with Omar as one of two strikers very often (if ever) and I think his chance will probably then be gone and he will move on at the end of the season. A shame, as I like his approach and attitude on the pitch and we have seen enough flashes of goal scoring form to at least suggest he might have something. More so than from James and Mullings.

I think two divisions is going to be a big step up for Dayle Grubb at 26 and am far from confident about this signing, even though an attacking, goal-scoring, left-footed midfielder sounds great in theory.

But it's CENTRE BACKS. We need CENTRE BACKS. We saw just what a difference one signing can make when Ossie joined us and IMHO we now need a centre back of similar quality. Surely Barnsley could spare Ethan Pinnock on loan; I think I heard he'd been injured at some point but he hasn't started a league game for them yet....
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:52 pm

We certainly couldn't be any lower :oops:
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:56 pm

I have to say I hope we make some big signings but January is difficult.
I also think it's massively down to tactics that we find ourselves in this position, the fact that we're probably 3 or 4 players short of being a decent team doesn't help though!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 pm

The other issue is that we won't be the only team wanting to add to their squad. Trying to persuade a player who may be with a team near the top of the National League, or playing for a team above us in the league (all of them at the moment), to join a club in a relegation fight will not be easy. I don't think we need to add too much to what we have already, for me a right-sided defender, a midfielder with a bit of presence and back up for Doidge would just about do it. My only wish would be to try and get the ball into the box a bit sooner, put more crosses in, so minor tactical adjustments rather than messing around with the squad.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Next

Return to FGR First Team