All about our First Team

One Club Mentality

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: One Club Mentality

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 pm

For the first time since I have been a regular at FGR - some 32 years - we now have a proper conveyor belt of well coached young talent who are making first team appearances on merit. The 2 Jordans look comfortable in their 1st team shirts and there will be more to follow. Coops, Scotty, Chris and the others deserve huge credit for this as other clubs close their academies in favour of loans dealing

We supporters must be patient with the youngsters and encourage their efforts on the pitch.

Well done to all involved
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Hopefully the ladies will feel the same.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Hopefully the ladies will feel the same.

Haha, I know what you mean but I think it is going to be a very long time before the Ladies start progressing through to the first team :)

Seriously though, it is promising that academy players are starting to get a sniff of first team football. There have always been a few coming through (John Cant was one of the first I can recall) but few have made a lasting impression. Maybe the likes of Stevens can do so. It is important for any successful club to have a joined up approach through the ranks of the players and we seem to have a dedicated and excellent Academy coach in Scott Bartlett.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Paul Stonehouse would be easily our most successful youth team graduate I can remember. Went on to captain the side, was a very good player imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Enjoyable read. Very crude comment that it reminds me of how the Germans continue success at tournaments. There is a clear system, style that players slot into.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby byrnesy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:46 am

Didn't jordon Simpson come through swindon accademy and we signed him at eighteen. Hardly a product of our academy good luck to any player that does make it through our system though
byrnesy
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GreenJohn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am

What happened to Gabbiadini?
GreenJohn
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

The academy is one of the reasons we need to stick to our footballing identity over a longer term and base everything around it. If we can make the academy work we can build a more sustainable business model (e.g. Crewe in the past).

A couple of our youngsters look to have real promise and hopefully they will break through in time. It's good that Cooper takes such a big interest as well. Say what you like about Cooper's man management, tactics etc (as we will all have differing opinions), but you cant doubt he puts in the hours and graft. Having the first team coach so keen must spur some of the younger ones on.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:54 pm

GreenJohn wrote:What happened to Gabbiadini?

I think he may be on the books of Weston-Super-Mare, but out on loan at Yate Town.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby The Running Rover » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Paul Stonehouse would be easily our most successful youth team graduate I can remember. Went on to captain the side, was a very good player imo.

I agree, a very good player and surprised he didn't go on to establish himself as a league level player. I used to love watching him bombing down the wing from left back and getting shots in or crossing for others. For some reason, my wife used to like coming to FGR a lot during Stonehouse's era at the club?! :roll:
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Well done to MC for putting so much effort and time in to help with the youngsters through-out the club. ( i bet Jose M at Man U does not do this ).
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team