Christian Doidge – Adapting to life in the Football League w

All about our First Team

Christian Doidge – Adapting to life in the Football League w

Postby chrislinnell » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:17 am

Article published on tbrfootball.com looking at Christian Doidge's time in the Football League with FGR :D

http://tbrfootball.com/christian-doidge/
chrislinnell
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Christian Doidge – Adapting to life in the Football Leag

Postby michael » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:35 am

someone else then who says 'the style will never change' -fair enough-but have to do it better then,unless the plan is to be relegated

is it interesting that Doidge is very complementary of Reece Brown in particular ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:20 am

Interesting article reflecting a very honest and committed footballer.

michael wrote:someone else then who says 'the style will never change' -fair enough-but have to do it better then,unless the plan is to be relegated

is it interesting that Doidge is very complementary of Reece Brown in particular ?

The players are improving all the time and the style is pleasing on the eye, when it works. Of course, in the second half of the season, we have to pick up more points or we will be relegated. The passing game must produce goals for us and not lead to unnecessary goals against. In order for this to happen Christian Doidge must receive more incisive passes in the area AND others must start scoring. So Michael, of course you are right, we have to do it better. I am confident, with the right additions to the squad, we will. Yes we lost both games last week, but with a depleted squad we were the equal of Exeter and not too far behind top of the table Luton. Let's keep the faith!

Reece Brown is very skilful and his game has developed this season. He is highly respected by his peers.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 am

if only FGR could get the defence right-and make it like impenetrable concrete, then we can pass the ball around as much as they wish making pretty circles and as MC and other suggest-eventually they will probe enough to get at least one chance on goal-for CD or others to capitalise on.

all the time the defence is shaky though-2 goals will be conceded per game-which means scoring three-which does not happen.

its hard enough to score one goal-let alone needing three to win every game.

if i had confidence in the defence not leaking goals, then please play the pretty stuff,but until then-it does not create enough opportunities to get the required three goals per game-so it simply does not work.

the key to everything whatever style is :

' do not concede the nil '-which is proving a forlorn task
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am

Agreed Michael - a few Nils against would do us the world of good especially if we are nicking 1 or 2 down the other end !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 pm

michael wrote:someone else then who says 'the style will never change' -fair enough-but have to do it better then,unless the plan is to be relegated

You just need to recall that first goal against Exeter in the home cup game to see why. Reece's through ball was 'pass of the season' so far imo. Reece Brown has huge ability and, as he is now working harder, I have come to think of him as a cert for first team selection.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Tommo wrote:

You just need to recall that first goal against Exeter in the home cup game to see why. Reece's through ball was 'pass of the season' so far imo. Reece Brown has huge ability and, as he is now working harder, I have come to think of him as a cert for first team selection.

Can you explain what he offers? I simply don't see it.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:

I can't do much more than repeat what I have already said. It was a great pass. He has scored a couple of goals I think, he tries to tackle back and heads the ball more than Gomes or KMB, he is the guy Doidge looks to for assists. If you have made your mind up about him, I won't be able to change it.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 pm

i probably go to the wrong games-and don't go to as many as others, but a couple of good free kicks-and allegedly one fabulous pass isn't quite enough to convince me.] .

that given Doidge knows better than me-so most will say i am just wrong.

i very much hope i am-and he can do enough to match and improve upon the type of perfomance most his peers at other clubs provide for 95 minutes every game
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm

I agree with Tommo, Browne is emerging as one of our most exciting players.
I always hold my breath when he is on the ball because of the beauty of his game and the threat he offers to the opposing team.
The FGR training staff have worked wonders with him from start of season, where I admit he was easily pushed off ball.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Tommo wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:

I can't do much more than repeat what I have already said. It was a great pass. He has scored a couple of goals I think, he tries to tackle back and heads the ball more than Gomes or KMB, he is the guy Doidge looks to for assists. If you have made your mind up about him, I won't be able to change it.

Oh, Brown is certainly capable. He just doesn't seem strong enough yet. I would not play him on the pitch at the same time as KMB though in a struggling side.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 am

agree with above-albeit as brown didn't play yesterday-it doesn't seem to matter who plays-and i thought saturdays team was the best one available-and who i would go for anyway,which does make the defeat ultra disappointing /worrying

that all given is the manager giving out mixed messages to players and supporters.
them of this thread is the style- a minority of us do not think the 'style' is suited to these players in this league.

Is it a fair observation that when their is a bad run (a lot of them to be fair ),MC marginally changes his view/sound bites .

-last bad run-he said if we have to hoof it to win-thats what we do (that idea did not last long-my view-ought to have tried it for longer -good hoof works ).
-interview on official site yesterday-we need to run more/fight more /no sexy football.
-arguably-those are a softening of the passing/beautiful game and previous-'we will not change our style for anyone,-extolled by Cooper/Lindsey /Doidge.

I sort of agree with Mr Cooper-but is it a little bit inconsistent/confusing-never mind to the supporters-is it confusing/splitting the team to those players who want passing game all the time,and other players who see the need for a more robust game ?

Maybe a bit like the UK Manager- Theresa May-when facing defeat on Brexit - marginally changes the wording /message to appease a few more.
(both probably stuck up a creek without a paddle ) .

Is it finally dawning on Mr Cooper (and maybe one or two more supporters and even Mr Vince )that the only way that there is a slight chance of gaining just enough points to survive is to play direct.
Agree-it may not win many games-but maybe just maybe-it will scrape enough points to finish 22nd .
Last edited by michael on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:47 am

following from the above-is the passing game at this level-as well as being ineffective-actually LAZY football.?

Does it hide the inadequacies of average players ?
Its not too hard to run around/make space and pass the ball/keep possession-stats-pass completion rate look fine-but is not getting anyone anywhere.

Frankly-i could run a bit /pass a bit /make a bit of space-not anything like these players and would give the ball away even more often -but most of us could do that -its pretty basic stuff whe no real pressure put on in your own half
Doesn't mean we are going to help a team win a game of football.
stick me in the opposition half where i have to beat a man with skill,win a header or a good pass -i would be hopeless

Upon consideration-i actually think its a LAZY way of playing football,apart from a style which won't win many games.
hides too many individual inadequacies-

Its not with any disrespect or criticism=FGR have good players; but i think it is increasingly dawning on a few more supporters, that good as they are -the majority of these players aren't quite good enough collectively to be successful at this level.
(in a better team-a few would probably do well-but there are very few players-if any-good enough in the fgr team-to be able to raise the standard of the players-they are all much of a much ness )

I am sure the manger -like a few of us-recognised that (and thus his own summer transfer failings ) at least a couple of months ago-but as we get close to january window-in his latest comments he is edging towards saying/admitting that .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team