Match thread from The New Lawn (Carlisle United)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Carlisle United)

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Tommo wrote:A bit harsh on Cooper and Bugeil but not far out imo.

Sorry Tommo, not harsh at all. Next match, count how many times CC passes backwards or sideways compared with forward passes. Count how often he actually influences the game. He runs around a lot, but my collie would do that for half of what CC gets paid.

Yesterday he made one pass in a forward direction, and that went straight to a Carlisle player. How often was he tackled and lost possesion - frequently. How many times did he go in for a challenge and win possession - not once all game. How many free kicks and corners went anywhere threatening - not one. So he is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. He is young, has potential, but we are in the mire and are not able to afford the luxury of educating Cooper junior. We need another Osbourne/Pell character in midfield now to give us some presence and fight there.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Martin Toms » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm

My pint glass is not half full, it’s currently three quarters empty :cry:

We have been found out by teams when we try and play out from the back but don’t have the players to compete physically if we play long balls which is proving to be a recipe for disaster. Poor Christian Doidge cuts a frustrated figure up front alone battling away as he always does which is quite ironic given that in the first half of last season we had 4 strikers vying for two striking places now we realistically only have one striker. I cannot put Mullins, Bugiel and James into the striker category.

Whoever is responsible for signing players I would imagine has to take a big chunk of responsibility as the only ones to really impress me are Osbourne and to some degree Lee Collins. Brad Collins has been up and down, made some good saves but other areas of his game have been lacking. Laird looked a good signing on paper but has flattered to deceive as has Roberts. Randall and Gomes didn’t deliver when they played. Brown has shown only glimpses of ability but looks a luxury that a newly promoted struggling team just cannot carry, we need battlers and grafters not fancy dan wanna-bees.

As somebody else has just stated, if this style of football was so good and the way to play why does hardly anyone else in this division or the division above play in such a manner. Most teams have two big centre backs a target man, a ball winning central midfielder and some flair around that so why can’t we be the same? The most important fact remains that we need to stay in this division, it really matters not what style of play we adopt to achieve that, we just have to achieve it, simple as that. If we can win with style, great, but I don’t want to see us get relegated with the tag “best footballing team we’ve played” which reportedly opposition managers say, just after taking all three points off us.

I would like to see more encouragement of the FGR players to get the best out of them and less time spent haranguing match officials moving forwards on the touch line and perhaps we can get out of it along with some good players brought in. Despite the results we are still very much still in this and a few big results can get us safe, we are not cut adrift but the next 4-5 games could see that happen if we don’t all pull together. I have sympathy for DV as all he has done is support this club and try and push us on and drive us on to the next level and he deserves better.

Here’s hoping for an improved performance but most importantly result against Exeter on Boxing Day. Hope everyone has a great Christmas :mrgreen:
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:
Tommo wrote:A bit harsh on Cooper and Bugeil but not far out imo.

Sorry Tommo, not harsh at all. Next match, count how many times CC passes backwards or sideways compared with forward passes. Count how often he actually influences the game. He runs around a lot, but my collie would do that for half of what CC gets paid.

Yesterday he made one pass in a forward direction, and that went straight to a Carlisle player. How often was he tackled and lost possesion - frequently. How many times did he go in for a challenge and win possession - not once all game. How many free kicks and corners went anywhere threatening - not one. So he is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. He is young, has potential, but we are in the mire and are not able to afford the luxury of educating Cooper junior. We need another Osbourne/Pell character in midfield now to give us some presence and fight there.

I'm on the back end of yet another migraine and I'm suffering from brain fog. I'm seeing Tommo and Silver Surfer at the end of their tethers, the eternally patient 20 Years (have a good Christmas, sir!) turning on Cooper Snr and even Kentstripe is hiding. People are agreeing with me. It's like I've awoken into some kind of misty, murky half-light of a weird trip with lashing of technicolor over saturation. :lol:

I really thought we lost the game in midfield yesterday. As I've been saying all season, you beat us by not creating space to allow Osborne and Traore to play. Carlisle did that and constantly pressed us, not helped by Traore having a very poor game. Charlie Cooper delivered one good cross from a corner, ran around a lot and produced nothing but lateral and backwards passes. Oh, he shouted at someone in the stand. Lol! Osborne tried. Lee Collins was fair, Fitzwater patchy and Laird did well in giving the ball away. Bennett looked flat, Doidge was dragged out of position, Bugiel at least tried and Wishart put in a shift. There were probably some other players in green and white on the pitch as well. There was one in pink who just needs to go back to his parent club for the sake of his career and our sanity. Poor lad just isn't ready for this standard and whilst I feel for him, I feel for us more. We can't afford to accommodate these foul ups.

Yesterday, we looked devoid of ideas going forward and couldn't defend. Everything also looks flat and the players look both physically and mentally exhausted. The manner in which Cooper spoke about fringe players in the last couple of weeks really can't have helped them, and with the rest you have to ask if they really respond to his encouragement anymore. When the horse is tired of constantly losing the chase to get the carrot, sooner or later he's going to just go through the motions wearily. I feel we are at that point.

The players, overall, aren't good enough. The manager seems unable to inspire them and lacks anything tactically beyond his commitment to playing a style of football that doesn't suit his squad's talents. We failed to adequately replace faces lost over the summer. On a long contract, what motivation is there for a manager to succeed?

If I were DV I would be giving everyone an early Christmas present and allowing MC to grace another club with his brand of graceful, fruitless football.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:56 pm

We seem to be in a situation were we need to "do a Newport". This time last season they were hanging on by a thread (at least we aren't that far adrift .... yet !!) and they didn't make 2 or 3 changes they made about 10 !!
As many others have said throughout this thread we have many players on the books that we could release right now and based on the last 3-4 games plus those on the array of naughty steps this would easily run to double figures and might include
3 x Goalkeepers
Laird & Bennett (a shadow of his former self and picking up cards & injuries which haven't helped his consistency)
Iacovitti & Fitzy (loans ending) ... though I'd happily keep Fitzwater
Roberts & Evans
Robert, James, Cooper & Randall
Murphy, Mullings, Gomes (loan ended?)

Then there are twist or stick options with Monthe and Bugiel

Wouldn't leave us with much BUT as I say Newport took that route and rescued their season and doing ok this time round too.
Right now I'd happily settle for that !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Plucked up courage to glance at the forum, as a break from peeling spuds, parsnips & carrots.

I'm now more fed up than ever - but cannot disagree with most of the posts on this thread.
To paraphrase the King : "it's gonna be a Blue Christmas without....... a win in the last eight".

Depressed, ashamed & sorry.
And three very awkward games coming up.
Enough is enough - if at the end of January (and I don't hold my breath) nothing much has changed result-wise then we are doomed.
But strange things can and do happen in football, and sport, so one can but hope and pray.

Anyway, have a Good One my friends.

Back to the spuds........
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Maybe Cooper Snr is taking the Middlesbrough job and taking Junior with him ;) ;)
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Have been wondering the same thing.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Have to agree with the posts above. I have tried to not criticise, but like most I've lost patience now. I just cannot see enough quality coming in in January to change things. As such, if we do not play a more direct style and two up front, I fear we're doomed.

I said at the start of the season that preparation, lateness of players coming in, and a poor set of summer friendlies, might come back to haunt us.

The cracking version of Scrooge starts in an hour. As he says to Marley's ghost; "speak comfort to me Jacob." Marley's ghost says, "I have none to give."

Back to the sherry. And the badgers. And the cider.......have a great time everyone, at least for the next 48 hours.....
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mauler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Season's nadir? I hope so. We can't go down and reverse all the achievements. Tough decisions as to what is needed.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Rich E » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

I share everyone's disappointment and hope that professional pride sees the players put in a much improved showing on Boxing day.

Carlisle must have barely known they'd been in a game. one of the most memorable challenges coming from Bennett - on poor Stroud Green sat working away in the corner! I thought the idea of playing to music at the start of the second half was innovative, but we needed to try it for longer or perhaps play "Things can only get better" instead!

Merry Christmas everyone, you know what I'm hoping for.
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:19 pm

44.66 hours to go.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Rich E wrote:Carlisle must have barely known they'd been in a game. one of the most memorable challenges coming from Bennett - on poor Stroud Green sat working away in the corner!

I wondered if Shane got a good close-up of Dale .
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 pm

God help us now.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Was really impressed with Keith Curle in his after-match analysis, esp. his views on FGR , true professional, one we could do with here. Great with his comments on his team - right behind them and no negative comments . A very good performance in front of the cameras, and a credit to his employers. Obviously a great example of man-management ( sadly one in which we do not have ).
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:17 pm

Wasn't there, so can only rely on Bobs opinions, however after all the games I have seen this year, can only agree with nearly all of the comments here.

I don't want to see a different manager though (is that OK mods?) and hope that MC can turn things around. His interviews shows that he knows what is wrong, question is, does he have the b@lls to do the right thing and stop the rot?

Wait for some sarcy comments about the forum in his next interview!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:44 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Maybe Cooper Snr is taking the Middlesbrough job and taking Junior with him ;) ;)

That would be interesting.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:01 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Wasn't there, so can only rely on Bobs opinions, however after all the games I have seen this year, can only agree with nearly all of the comments here.

I don't want to see a different manager though (is that OK mods?) and hope that MC can turn things around. His interviews shows that he knows what is wrong, question is, does he have the b@lls to do the right thing and stop the rot?

Good job you weren't there V as you would have fell asleep!, it was akin to a pre-season friendly where were the underdogs! Carlisle performed as if in second gear and for all our efforts we could not even manage a shot on target! MC has to go and go now if things are to change, i was a believer when he first came and hoped his style of play would succeed, but, his arrogance and inability to take any blame, his disregard of both players and fans is beyond any recovery...in summary.. adios , and the sooner the better!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Wasn't there, so can only rely on Bobs opinions, however after all the games I have seen this year, can only agree with nearly all of the comments here.

He doesn't know what's wrong, hence his constant lack of a plan b.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 pm

So statistically speaking it'll all be OK come the end of the season. Odds-on to stay up ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42467346
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team