Match thread from The New Lawn (Carlisle United)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Carlisle United)

Postby chrism » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 am

Seen a report somewhere that Gomes,Randall and Iacovitti's loans have expired and they have returned to their parent clubs. The club could not have foreseen so many injuries and suspensions at the same time but seems odd (maybe a max loan period) for the loans not to run until they can sign new players in Jan, leaving a shortage of players over such a busy time.
chrism
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:20 am

doggy wrote:
tommyd wrote:
doggy wrote:At least I wasn't abusive to you doggy, Seasons Greetings and have a lovely Christmas]
How was I abusive LM? Just said I thought you were wrong? Sorry if you thought I was, if I had been would have been censored surely?

Thought you knew that any opinion that varies from LMs is either too negative or abusive...

Pulled me up on my quote that MC played his best team available, which it was!! Brown and Lacovetti injured and Manny suspended !! For someone who prides themselves on stats just wound me up by lack of up to date knowledge, and didn’t go either!! Don’t want to fall out with anyone so should probably keep away from here!!

Are you still going on. Chill out it's Christmas.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Stacker123 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:06 am

Could have been 4-0 down at half time. Its been terrible all season. I have a season ticket but have had enough so have opted to start playing again instead. Out Out Out.
Stacker123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:15 am

not there today-at other end of the country watching Russell make his debut in goal for Margate

that didn't go to plan either as having conceded less than a goal a game (defences win championships )-let in 4 at home today, so a bit of a rubbish day all round.

It a lot easier to be less bitter about a defeat when you don't witness it in person,and whilst FGR defeat no major surprise today ,the most disappointing thing to me is that like a few -the team FGR started with today is what i would regard as the strongest available team against a mid table side ;and seemed to have lost comfortably ,which does not auger well in any respect.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby smertens07929 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 am

20yrs and counting wrote:The time has come. Cooper must go tonight. If DV was there today he would have witnessed a soulless half-hearted display by a team who are not playing for their manager. Collins is the only one with leadership, Osborne the only one who can tackle and Stevens the only one with heart.

Problem is, if DV wasn’t there he would think only losing 1-0 is a not too bad result, when 6-0 would have not flattered Carlisle. Even with a juicy contract DV must rip it up and start again. I was a big fan of Coops especially after being such a great FGR player. Just wish he would walk away now.

The team is rudderless, Kmb just walking around the pitch with no care at all. Even subs, bar Stevens don’t look up for it when they come on. Very sad time to be a loyal FGR supporter.

DV was there today - for some reason he didn't stay behind when the game finished to applaud as he usually does - he went inside as soon as the final whistle went (if not before). Maybe he was on his way round to MC's office to have a word :oops: :lol:

Just my opinion & I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but, I don't think MC was giving the team any confidence today, all he seemed to do was throw his arms up in the air or shout/moan at Fitzwater. No wonder the team felt deflated!!
smertens07929
First Team
First Team

Postby candy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 am

smertens07929 wrote:
20yrs and counting wrote:The time has come. Cooper must go tonight. If DV was there today he would have witnessed a soulless half-hearted display by a team who are not playing for their manager. Collins is the only one with leadership, Osborne the only one who can tackle and Stevens the only one with heart.

Problem is, if DV wasn’t there he would think only losing 1-0 is a not too bad result, when 6-0 would have not flattered Carlisle. Even with a juicy contract DV must rip it up and start again. I was a big fan of Coops especially after being such a great FGR player. Just wish he would walk away now.

The team is rudderless, Kmb just walking around the pitch with no care at all. Even subs, bar Stevens don’t look up for it when they come on. Very sad time to be a loyal FGR supporter.

DV was there today - for some reason he didn't stay behind when the game finished to applaud as he usually does - he went inside as soon as the final whistle went (if not before). Maybe he was on his way round to MC's office to have a word :oops: :lol:

Just my opinion & I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but, I don't think MC was giving the team any confidence today, all he seemed to do was throw his arms up in the air or shout/moan at Fitzwater. No wonder the team felt deflated!!

Well said my girl" smertens07929 "
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby Mothy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:44 am

I see Gary Monk has been terminated at Middleborough, I guess that means Cooper Jnr won't be moving on. No little fee. Shame on all counts.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby camel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:23 am

smertens07929 wrote:Just my opinion & I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but, I don't think MC was giving the team any confidence today, all he seemed to do was throw his arms up in the air or shout/moan at Fitzwater. No wonder the team felt deflated!!

I think the lack of encouragement started days ago. No, weeks ago.

For the past few weeks the moaning about injuries and suspensions and talk of January and new signings and players needing to be replaced sets out a message that "some of you aren't good enough". In psychology there is a thing called 'growth mindset' and to hugely overly simplify it if you are in a position of authority and decide people can't do something, then they are less like to achieve that something. It's a bit like the man who says he can and the man who says he can't will both probably be right.

I'm also really not a big fan of anyone saying "I'll take the blame but (insert blame on others)."

The fact is that although we have had injuries, for most games we have managed to put out a team of first team players. Every week we hear excuses before and after games. When do we hear the belief and the confidence?
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 am

So most people have finally caught up with the few of us that have been saying it for weeks. Cooper is just not good enough for this league. Seems to have lost the dressing room (not surprising the way he talks about his players) time for him to go!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 am

I agree with MC that there were no positives to take from yesterday's game (except perhaps that we could have lost 6-0 - and not had grounds for complaint - and the 1-0 doesn't damage our goal difference by much more.)

It was a dire performance - the worst at home this season and the worst since Port Vale first half imo.

KMB was just not in the mood and should have been subbed at half time (or earlier) - what is wrong with him?

The rest of the team just didn't look good enough (with the exception of Lee Collins and Issy Osbourne). We missed Reece Brown because Traore, Cooper and Wishart all seemed to lack any spark. Traore in particular just wasn't up to it yesterday. Fitz had a horror first 20 minutes but improved and saved us a few times later but Laird is out of position and is trying but isn't playing well enough. Bennett was out of sorts and looked fed up as the ball repeatedly sailed over his head from Brad Collins' kick outs. And as for Brad Collins, the less said the better. A dreadful performance and not what I was expecting at all.

I wonder if all this talk of bringing in new players has unsettled the team - I get that the desire was lacking yesterday especially from KMB, but why? That is down to MC.

I had been very hopeful that we would avoid relegation - indeed, despite recent bumps, I expected that. Now I am much less sure and almost expect us to be tailed off before any impact of new blood can be felt. I imagine that if we bring in 4 players, only 2 will actually improve things and, although a couple of wins would transform things, its hard to see them coming soon. The Port Vale game is going to be the next big opportunity but we really need a couple of points at least before then.

Oh dear..... very depressed this morning
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:50 am

There's nothing wrong with Cooper's style of play in my opinion, it can be very successful both at this level and further up the ladder.

The problem lies in the personnel Cooper brought into the team into the summer, this is a significantly weaker team than the one that finished 3rd in the conference, of course it's going to struggle to implement the style.

B.Collins has been awful and is a downgrade on Sam, although Sam has had mistakes in him too and is an aging keeper. Agree that Cooper should've signed a keeper, but why oh why wasn't it a more experienced and frankly better goalkeeper rather than a nervous loanee with talent but no application.

Laird's performances are on him, not Cooper in my opinion. He all thought we was an excellent signing when he joined and he's underperformed massively despite fitting our system perfectly on paper.

Lee Collins has done well considering he has a different centre back partner next to him every week, whether they're a 19 year old low on confidence, a talented Manny Monthe getting sent off every week or Mark (insert swear word here) Roberts who isn't good enough for relegation contenders a division below us.

Osbourne is an excellent signing but cannot change the entire team's fortunes single handedly.

Brown is talented but without the solidity behind him he isn't free to do his stuff. In a better setup he could be our best player, and we missed his creativity.

James is a disappointment. He should be walking into this team and offering a wing forward option, but he;s been useless all season. Same bracket as Laird.

Compare this with the players we lost last season: PInnock and Ellis would both be comfortably starting ahead of any of our centre backs (although Ellis might be slightly worse than Collins.). Noble is far better than Cooper, but not much we could do with that idiot. Woolery is far better than James and is the direct pace on the wing we're crying out for to stretch defenses and open up the space for our tippy tappy passes to go forward for a change.

Now there's really not much Cooper could've done to keep any of those, and he definitely tried in the cases of Woolery and Ellis, but the quality of replacements coming in has been woeful, and the sheer number of them has unsettled the team, creating the kind of disjointed mess on offer yesterday. The keeper has no confidence in his defence, and vice versa. The wingers have no confidence in their full backs. Doidge has no service. The midfield are trying to firefight all over the pitch and when one of them is Charlie Cooper they're essentially a man short, as he always seems to be nowhere near where he's actually needed at all times. He reminds me of Tom Cleverly, a tidy passer but that's all you'll ever get from him.

We need a new keeper, 2 new centre backs to replace the loanees, competition at right back, competition at central midfield and a left winger. Cooper needs every single one of those signings to work if we're going to stay up, cos he isn't going to improve the performances of players like Roberts, James, Cooper ect. Grubb offers competition for Brown, and is a welcome addition, but there's a lot of holes to plug on this boat.

I still have faith in Cooper to turn it around, we're a couple of wins away from everything looking ok again, not adrift. But it's make or break in January for him and this squad. If his signings don't work then we will go down and lose our best players with our league status and it's another rebuild/promotion attempt probably with a new manager, not the kind of stability of coaching and playing staff the club needs to build something.

Right now I feel pretty sorry for Cooper. He knows he can't play the way he wants to play because of the woeful defence, so everything has to be based around protecting them and playing slower and safer, and as a result we've lost all attacking threat as we haven't got the players to play on the counter attack. He missed out on his two top targets in the summer and had his club captain go on strike to force a free move. He's had to try and plug gaps with whoever's available in the free transfer or loan market and it hasn't worked in defence. Signings he (and we!) thought would be great have been awful and just as soon as he thought we had it sorted and we went on a great run half the team gets injured/suspended and he's back to square one.

Roll on January, may everyone's Christmases be jolly and let the New Year bring some quality players and 3 pointers.

COYR
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:58 am

A new emotion for me watching FGR - I was utterly ashamed

Excusing Lee Collins, Isiah Osbourne, Dan Wishart, Christian Doidge, sub Jordan Stevens and the remarkable loanee Jack Fitzwater (who made more saves than his keeper) the rest were lamentable. I counted 2 shots all game and none in the second half. Both Jordans should have started ahead of several in the abysmal midfield.

Carlisle were a very ordinary side - defend in depth and knock the ball to the big guys. But they were well drilled, sharper and could always rely on FGR's regularly gifted free header. They made plenty of mistakes but FGR never looked capable or taking advantage, instead, producing greater supplies of their own. Could easily have been a defeat of Newport proportions

In his comments after the game, Coops was at a loss to explain the awful performance. That in itself will have shaken his Chairman.

So, who has the pride and guts to show up against Exeter, Lincoln and Wycombe? All we can do as supporters is shout hard and keep the faith. But what of those on the pitch - have they got what it takes? Make me eat my words please
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Seat C32 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:02 am

I haven't posted much this season as I and others have sat and suffered watching a load of rubbish being served up each week and watching Mark Cooper rant and rave at anyone that disagrees with his mis- guided views on how the beautiful game should be played. ( who would want to be a 4th official knowing he was to spend a Saturday afternoon being verbally insulted for nearly 2 hours by Cooper).
Firstly his so called man-management style is an absolute disgrace, if he was office based either he would have been sacked by his superiors or the whole staff (who aren't on contracts as in soccer) would have walked by now.
Secondly his attitude to us who know nothing about football, we just waste our pensions and too much time ( according to my wife) is deplorable, we just get the stare and verbal abuse when ever we criticise his wonderful masterplan for returning to the National League. I suppose he could say that at least we won occasionally then!
I said earlier on that the goal keeper is just not good enough, why on earth is he playing instead of Russell? We need a new left back, preferably one who can kick with both feet, and definitely a new manager. I did say give Scott Bartlett a few games to stabilise the team and bring a bit of respect back to the club. Apart from the so say 5-7 new players we need and that must have filled the rest of the team with bags of confidence since Cooper said that, we have to do something constructive immediately or the return to the National League is inevitable.
Well, rant over, you won't get a more dedicated supporter of FGR than me but we are very quickly becoming a laughing stock, thank god that we are, week after week, that best team all our opposition have played against this season, after they have beaten us. They must love coming to TNL.

Happy Christmas and an even happier New Year fans.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GreenJohn » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 am

Don't panic. The saviour is on his way. Grubb scored twice for WSM yesterday.

After the performance yesterday, we should probably buy the whole Weston team.

I have kept my counsel until now, but can no longer restrain myself. No shot on goal in 95 minutes sums up the way we play. Not one player was deserving more than a six, and only Osborne deserved that. Recent performances led me to believe we were a better side than results had indicated, and I was sure that we would pull away from the relegation zone. But yesterday brought a dose of reality. This team will be relegated, and I cannot see any decent player s wanting to join in January that is going to change things. After all the hard work, and the exultation at Wembley, this will be a tragedy for this wonderful club.

Let's look at yesterday's performances.

Collins (4) - caught a few crosses but distribution was dismal, and one mistake should have cost a goal.
Bennett(4) - looked dejected.
Collins(5) - with the defence under constant pressure, very difficult for him, but stiill not good enough in the air for a centre back.
Fitzwater(5) - ditto
Laird(3) - tries hard but doesn't have the pace or skill. Should have put Wishart away a number of times, but always delayed too long.
Osborne(6) - Tries to bring some control to midfield, but cannot do it all an his own.
Cooper (1) - ran around a lot with no effect at all.
Traore(1) - completely off the boil, gave away free kicks too easily.
Marsh Brown(1) - for turning up.
Wishart(4) - did put in a few decent crosses, but should try to beat his man more otften.
Doidge(5) - only one real chance which he put miles wide with his head from a good position.

Roberts(3) - didn't notice him at all.
Bugiel(1) - no impact whatsoever and lacks the necessary contreol anyway.
Stevens(5) - made a few errors but also looked more positive than anyone else. Looks a prospect for the future, and I hope that he is not worn down by the current experience of playing in a struggling team.
GreenJohn
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:41 am

Having watched both sides this season, and some of last I had noticed the key differences is speed of ball. Carlisle try hard play it quickly, Rovers always seem to faff around trying to stay safe in possession.

The former tactic falls flat on its face sometimes with the ball constantly given away, but when in work s it's good. Unfortunately for Rovers it worked yesterday.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:12 pm

It is clear for the first time this season that all belief has gone. They no longer believe they are good enough, or the tactics. The situation is irretrievable for the manager to get back. Sadly there can only be one outcome. This has to happen now for any chance of staying up. First time I have ever been embarrassed at home watching FGR in 30 years. If club does not act attendances will plummet. Cannot see where our next point is coming from. If we go down cannot see us getting back up, too many Phoenix clubs on the rise. Can anybody give me any glimmer of hope?
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:It is clear for the first time this season that all belief has gone. They no longer believe they are good enough, or the tactics. The situation is irretrievable for the manager to get back. Sadly there can only be one outcome. This has to happen now for any chance of staying up. First time I have ever been embarrassed at home watching FGR in 30 years. If club does not act attendances will plummet. Cannot see where our next point is coming from. If we go down cannot see us getting back up, too many Phoenix clubs on the rise. Can anybody give me any glimmer of hope?

No really. I heard Laird shout 'Believe' towards the end of the game and that is what the team need to do. I agree though that yesterday, after some creditable performance recently, that belief seemed to have seeped out. It can be retrieved but the senior players need to show the way and the youngsters need to continue to take risks. I hope Brown is back soon and maybe Gomes needs another chance. Stevens looked ok when he came on too.

GreenJohn wrote:Don't panic. The saviour is on his way. Grubb scored twice for WSM yesterday.

After the performance yesterday, we should probably buy the whole Weston team.

I have kept my counsel until now, but can no longer restrain myself. No shot on goal in 95 minutes sums up the way we play. Not one player was deserving more than a six, and only Osborne deserved that. Recent performances led me to believe we were a better side than results had indicated, and I was sure that we would pull away from the relegation zone. But yesterday brought a dose of reality. This team will be relegated, and I cannot see any decent player s wanting to join in January that is going to change things. After all the hard work, and the exultation at Wembley, this will be a tragedy for this wonderful club.

Let's look at yesterday's performances.

Collins (4) - caught a few crosses but distribution was dismal, and one mistake should have cost a goal.
Bennett(4) - looked dejected.
Collins(5) - with the defence under constant pressure, very difficult for him, but stiill not good enough in the air for a centre back.
Fitzwater(5) - ditto
Laird(3) - tries hard but doesn't have the pace or skill. Should have put Wishart away a number of times, but always delayed too long.
Osborne(6) - Tries to bring some control to midfield, but cannot do it all an his own.
Cooper (1) - ran around a lot with no effect at all.
Traore(1) - completely off the boil, gave away free kicks too easily.
Marsh Brown(1) - for turning up.
Wishart(4) - did put in a few decent crosses, but should try to beat his man more otften.
Doidge(5) - only one real chance which he put miles wide with his head from a good position.

Roberts(3) - didn't notice him at all.
Bugiel(1) - no impact whatsoever and lacks the necessary contreol anyway.
Stevens(5) - made a few errors but also looked more positive than anyone else. Looks a prospect for the future, and I hope that he is not worn down by the current experience of playing in a struggling team.

A bit harsh on Cooper and Bugeil but not far out imo.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:It is clear for the first time this season that all belief has gone. They no longer believe they are good enough, or the tactics. The situation is irretrievable for the manager to get back. Sadly there can only be one outcome. This has to happen now for any chance of staying up. First time I have ever been embarrassed at home watching FGR in 30 years. If club does not act attendances will plummet. Cannot see where our next point is coming from. If we go down cannot see us getting back up, too many Phoenix clubs on the rise. Can anybody give me any glimmer of hope?

I wish I could give you hope, have to admit things are going from bad to worse. MC has lost the dressing room, that's plain for all to see and the players are just not responding to anything the manager does. MC talks about 4/5 new players, not enough, we need a new team and a new manager, just hope the Chairman's pockets are deep, because he's going to need them to keep this club in football league.
Not often I have sympathy for a football manager but MC looked like a lost sole on the touchline yesterday, very much as ADP did before the axe fell.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

no!! its been obvious to some for quite a while now that despite the pleasant thought of Barca style football we do not have the ability to play this way, has anyone even thought that if this was the case then at least one of the other 24 clubs in this league would be doing the same?, but they are not, and why? because,like us, they are not within a million miles of one of the best teams on the planet!! We have become so predictable, both visiting teams in last 2 home games have played 2 players on edge of box from goal kicks, forcing Collins to kick long, something, for whatever reason, he cant do!! what does he practise all week? I posted some months back that he may well be good in time, but, under MC he will mentally crumble, feel sorry for him.
With loanees going back to parent clubs we are in serious trouble, that along with an arrogant, useless man management manager, we are prime candidates for relegation, DV has invested loads into this club, but he does'nt appear to realise he has to act asap before its too late!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm getting a real sense of deja vu from last Christmas to this.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team