What happens to relegated clubs?

All about our First Team

What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby camel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:50 am

I've heard a fair few people say "it's fine if we go down as we will come back up again and Dale will pay to make it happen".

So I thought I'd share this article from earlier in the year...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ppens-next

Can we really afford to get relegated? I'm not convinced.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm

It all depends on whether Dale retains his interest. That might diminish if we get relegated since, as this article points out, its hard to get promoted from the National League, and also on whether his plans for the new stadium are approved and become the start of the wider business park development he wants. If those plans don't go through I do wonder if he will continue to see FGR as a vehicle for his value promotion and business expansion and may find something else.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Tommo wrote:It all depends on whether Dale retains his interest. That might diminish if we get relegated since, as this article points out, its hard to get promoted from the National League, and also on whether his plans for the new stadium are approved and become the start of the wider business park development he wants. If those plans don't go through I do wonder if he will continue to see FGR as a vehicle for his value promotion and business expansion and may find something else.


And this is why some of us have long term concerns and don't just blindly scream 'enjoy the ride'. Another related issue is one of health. DV won't live forever and may not always be in good health. Think of Gretna FC and what happened there. Shouldn't every forward thinking team's supporters have some kind of trust in place?
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Dale is only concerned with looking after number - one. FGR and Ecotricity are only interlinked by his desire to make money, I did not see him here in the 1980s and 1990s when we were just jogging along. Lets not kid ourselves about the future - it could end in disaster for us when he decides to pull out. That is the stark reality of how these businessmen work. How many times have we witnessed it with other teams ?. You have been warned !!!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:20 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Dale is only concerned with looking after number - one. FGR and Ecotricity are only interlinked by his desire to make money, I did not see him here in the 1980s and 1990s when we were just jogging along. Lets not kid ourselves about the future - it could end in disaster for us when he decides to pull out. That is the stark reality of how these businessmen work. How many times have we witnessed it with other teams ?. You have been warned !!!.


Wow, seriously harsh post!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby Seat C32 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 pm

The next month will show his desire. I personally think he is in it for the long haul, I hope I am right.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby camel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Seat C32 wrote:The next month will show his desire. I personally think he is in it for the long haul, I hope I am right.


I think he probably is and certainly hope he is. But relegation isn't part of the plan. If we go down we could easily be down in the VNL at the point in time that he expected to be pushing for the Championship. We won't have the same media pull next time either.

It's a big month for Dale. Does he spend and if so how much? Does he trust the current set up to get it right and how confident is he? Does he therefore give time or act now?

I'd say the point we are at now is probably the most significant fork in the road. Which path is right? Nobody can be sure. But there is certainly a lot more to lose now than there ever has been. Those two promotion spots back up are only getting more competitive.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby Tommo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:43 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:It all depends on whether Dale retains his interest. That might diminish if we get relegated since, as this article points out, its hard to get promoted from the National League, and also on whether his plans for the new stadium are approved and become the start of the wider business park development he wants. If those plans don't go through I do wonder if he will continue to see FGR as a vehicle for his value promotion and business expansion and may find something else.


And this is why some of us have long term concerns and don't just blindly scream 'enjoy the ride'. Another related issue is one of health. DV won't live forever and may not always be in good health. Think of Gretna FC and what happened there. Shouldn't every forward thinking team's supporters have some kind of trust in place?


I understand but the alternative to what has happened in the last 5 years was probably us languishing somewhere about three levels further down - if not more. We have had a great journey over the last 5-6 years and maybe it can continue. No need to panic yet though I think we all appreciate that we are in Dale's hands. Of course that creates concerns but what do you suggest we do other than enjoy the ride?
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Tommo wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:It all depends on whether Dale retains his interest. That might diminish if we get relegated since, as this article points out, its hard to get promoted from the National League, and also on whether his plans for the new stadium are approved and become the start of the wider business park development he wants. If those plans don't go through I do wonder if he will continue to see FGR as a vehicle for his value promotion and business expansion and may find something else.


And this is why some of us have long term concerns and don't just blindly scream 'enjoy the ride'. Another related issue is one of health. DV won't live forever and may not always be in good health. Think of Gretna FC and what happened there. Shouldn't every forward thinking team's supporters have some kind of trust in place?


I understand but the alternative to what has happened in the last 5 years was probably us languishing somewhere about three levels further down - if not more. We have had a great journey over the last 5-6 years and maybe it can continue. No need to panic yet though I think we all appreciate that we are in Dale's hands. Of course that creates concerns but what do you suggest we do other than enjoy the ride?


I've already suggested it in my previous post. And lobby him to let FGR own the new ground.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: What happens to relegated clubs?

Postby Greeners Jnr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:17 am

If FGR are relegated they will become a unique statistic, as up until now no team promoted to the Football League from the Conference/National League has ever been relegated back after just 1 season
Geronimo!!!!!!!
User avatar
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:27 pm
Location: Saltus Viridi fautoribusque est in Cestrensi comitatu


Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cotswold farmer, doggy, Martin Toms, Philpot, SkunkMan and 5 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.