All about our First Team

Rovers set to agree deals

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Rovers set to agree deals

Postby michael » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:15 pm

obviously the names will not be available until signed-but wouldn't you just love to know what positions they are in.?

there again-i guess that won't be revealed as it is likely that the underperforming players will provide even less.

that all given-it looks very much like a case of the team would have found it difficult enough to get any points over the next 3 games any way-and with probably 4 new players inthe team for Port Vale game-are they likely to effectively offer even lass over the next few games ?

hopefully professional pride prevents that-but as the manager says-'trading water-,which is almost like saying-we ain't going to get anything anyway.
but he is right unfortunately.
even the manager is now dis agreeing with all the 'optimists' on here who even just a couple of weeks ago were preaching that the existing squad was good enough -is it heck
Last edited by michael on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Cannot wait for the transfer window to be prised open...........you never know.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby 20yrs and counting » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Hopefully some good early business. Still would like another 3 or 4. Guess we gotta keep on believing.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:08 pm

michael wrote:obviously the names will not be available until signed-but wouldn't you just love to know what positions they are in.?

there again-i guess that won't be revealed as it is likely that the underperforming players will provide even less.

that all given-it looks very much like a case of the team would have found it difficult enough to get any points over the next 3 games any way-and with probably 4 new players inthe team for Port Vale game-are they likely to effectively offer even lass over the next few games ?

hopefully professional pride prevents that-but as the manager says-'trading water-,which is almost like saying-we ain't going to get anything anyway.
even the manager is now dis agreeing with all the 'optimists' on here who even just a couple of weeks ago were preaching that the existing squad was good enough -is it heck

Word on the street is some players already know they're leaving. I hope this is nonsense as it's hardly motivational.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:58 pm

A bit like Brexit then.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:29 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
michael wrote:obviously the names will not be available until signed-but wouldn't you just love to know what positions they are in.?

Word on the street is some players already know they're leaving. I hope this is nonsense as it's hardly motivational.

I would have thought that, for a few, the writing has been on the wall for a while - rightly or wrongly. MC is hardly one to hide his feelings. Whether his transparency is motivational or not is harder to tell but maybe a few will want to prove him wrong. I think everyone agreed that we needed to add to the squad in January - MC has been saying for a while that the squad is thin. The question is whether the replacements/additions will improve the quality and how quickly they can make a positive impression.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 pm

"I told the players they are not making it hard for me to replace them in January."
So given that logic dale should be telling his manager exactly the same thing...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:57 pm

tommyd wrote:"I told the players they are not making it hard for me to replace them in January."
So given that logic dale should be telling his manager exactly the same thing...

And it also begs the question why we started the season with such a thin squad, particularly with the knowledge Noble wanted out.

Throwing money at a problem seems to be an FGR thing at present. Wonder how we are doing with regard to the FFP rules.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Bit contradictory that.

You say the squad is thin and then say FGR "throw money at it"!

I would say we have not spent enough, and you are saying that as well, how else would you improve the squad aorta from spend a bit if money?

What do other clubs do? Oh yes spend money!

I would say we are doing pretty well in regards to FFP, that is the least of our worries at the moment!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Bit contradictory that.

You say the squad is thin and then say FGR "throw money at it"!

I would say we have not spent enough, and you are saying that as well, how else would you improve the squad aorta from spend a bit if money?

What do other clubs do? Oh yes spend money!

I would say we are doing pretty well in regards to FFP, that is the least of our worries at the moment!

My point is that perhaps just throwing money at the team isn't the way to solve the bad results.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Throwing money at a team - look at Man. City to see if it works !!. Of course if it is done properly, it will work. You must have the manager and owner who really knows what they are doing for the team in the long-term.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Throwing money is no guarantee of success, but given the lack of squad depth so harshly put into focus in the recent run of injuries and suspensions it's certainly going to help.
This squad needs an injection of both quality and numbers. It's not the only thing we need to stay up, but it's high up the lost if not top.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Philpot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 pm

SCMP
Can anyone tell me if the current batch of players we have who were under 20 at the start of the season count in the SCMP

(are they youth development)

If so then Coops has spent very little on players this season.
This could leave him with a very large pot to spend if Dale Vince backs him
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 pm

dursleydog wrote:Throwing money is no guarantee of success, but given the lack of squad depth so harshly put into focus in the recent run of injuries and suspensions it's certainly going to help.
This squad needs an injection of both quality and numbers. It's not the only thing we need to stay up, but it's high up the lost if not top.

Still find this injuries thing a bit puzzling due to the fact we don't get enough info from the club.

Example - Will Randall played in a development game one week but wasn't named amongst the subs at the weekend and we only had about 5 from memory.

Further example - is Mullings really not able to play? Other footballers seem to come back quicker from similar injuries.

Are they injured or just out of favour? Does it help paper over other cracks by being able to say we are threadbare?! I'm not sure where the truth lies, but the absence of info in pre game reports doesn't help.

Aside from that MC picked a small squad to try and keep it tight and the risk was always that if players fell out of favour (for whatever reason) we would be hit by it. We always knew CM was threadbare as we only had Noble, Traore and Cooper at the outset, accepting that Brown is an attacking midfielder. So for all the complaining recently I'm not sure we can be too surprised.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm

good summation Camel.

i guess the only surprise is that some people-and arguably the manager included -are allegedly surprised .

that given-quantity is fine,but evident from the yeovil game, that quality was not-and even that left two weeks of the 'window' to do something about it -which in the main resulted in lightweight fluffy winger types-gomes and randall-what was the point of those loanees ?

Iancvitti excepted-he will go on to have a very good career imo
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Somebody posted that Randall Gomez and Iacovitti had all returned to their clubs, and Fitzwater is due to return to WBA in January so players definitely needed.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Norton Boy wrote:Somebody posted that Randall Gomez and Iacovitti had all returned to their clubs, and Fitzwater is due to return to WBA in January so players definitely needed.

Fitzwater is the only one due back in Jan. The others were all signed on a season long loan, so would have been cut short. Has anyone seen anything from the club to confirm the story?
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Randall, Iacovitti, and Gomes have gone back to their parent clubs. Mentioned in my report last Saturday.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:Randall, Iacovitti, and Gomes have gone back to their parent clubs. Mentioned in my report last Saturday.

Thanks for confirming Ash. I must have missed that one. I blame Christmas ;)

Should free up room for some new loans as we had reached the limit of 5 at any one time.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team